BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 1178
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 3:38:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Just curious why this thread is so light on cans. Lots of nice rifles but relatively few with cans. A can is the best part of the gun!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 3:56:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CloneDiseased] [#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AggiePhil:

Just curious why this thread is so light on cans. Lots of nice rifles but relatively few with cans. A can is the best part of the gun!!
View Quote
...a guess...

A lot of folks are drawn to clone the Mk 12 in the first place because it's more exotic than an M16 or M4 but doesn't necessarily require NFA involvement. I, like you, think the can is a must, but you can technically clone it to spec and not get the can. Other clones require NFA or pinning requirements to look the part. I suspect that many gravitate toward the Mk 12 to avoid these complications. Admittedly, the Mk 12, even without the can, is a significant challenge.

I know I committed to my Mk 12 build before I tried an M4A1 or CQBR clone. However, I finished those and am now still working on the Mk 12

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 4:10:51 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote

" />
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 4:14:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AggiePhil] [#4]
Originally Posted By CloneDiseased:
...a guess...

A lot of folks are drawn to clone the Mk 12 in the first place because it's more exotic than an M16 or M4 but doesn't necessarily require NFA involvement. I, like you, think the can is a must, but you can technically clone it to spec and not get the can. Other clones require NFA or pinning requirements to look the part. I suspect that many gravitate toward the Mk 12 to avoid these complications. Admittedly, the Mk 12, even without the can, is a significant challenge.

I know I committed to my Mk 12 build before I tried an M4A1 or CQBR clone. However, I finished those and am now still working on the Mk 12

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
...a guess...

Makes sense. But jeez...suppressor ownership is easy now. That's the beauty of it! I know I'm working on a 16" Mk12-ish SPR that will have a DD RIS II rail in FDE and a Specwar 7.62 can. In the end, I think it'll look pretty close to a Mk12. I already have a Mk18 Mod 0, a CQBR, and a MK18 RIS II FSP rail that needs a host.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 4:22:01 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

Can love
" />
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 4:43:32 PM EDT
[#6]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By USMC_FMJ:

Can love

http://<a href=http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a556/USMC_FMJ/DSC_0004_zpst4iuoxd6.jpg</a>" />

X2 - some more love:

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 4:45:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: axarob44] [#7]

Makes sense. But jeez...suppressor ownership is easy now. That's the beauty of it! I know I'm working on a 16" Mk12-ish SPR that will have a DD RIS II rail in FDE and a Specwar 7.62 can. In the end, I think it'll look pretty close to a Mk12. I already have a Mk18 Mod 0, a CQBR, and a MK18 RIS II FSP rail that needs a host.
View All Quotes
...a guess...

How will it be close if you use a Daniel Defense RIS II rail in FDE and 16" barrel? You can't just use any rail when it is the rail that makes it a Mk12.  And a 16" barrel? And a specwar 7.62 can?
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 4:47:21 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

Can't find one in stock, thats why
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 4:55:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By axarob44:
How will it be close if you use a Daniel Defense RIS II rail in FDE and 16" barrel? You can't just use any rail when it is the rail that makes it a Mk12.  And a 16" barrel? And a specwar 7.62 can?
View Quote

We'll see how it turns out. There are some things I am willing to compromise on and others I am not. For example, quality is something I don't plan on compromising on. Things like the exact hand guard, scope, and suppressor I am willing to change if it better served my purposes. The OPS can is a decent can but is limited in its use due to the mount. A similarly sized can that can be moved around between platforms will suit me much better. Like I said, we'll see how it turns out in the end.

On another note, how are y'all liking the second focal plane scopes on these rigs? Just about everyone is telling me to go first focal plane in this day and age. Vortex even makes a 2.5-10x32 that looks VERY similar to the Leupold Mark 4 but is FFP and mil/mil.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:39:57 PM EDT
[#11]

We'll see how it turns out. There are some things I am willing to compromise on and others I am not. For example, quality is something I don't plan on compromising on. Things like the exact hand guard, scope, and suppressor I am willing to change if it better served my purposes. The OPS can is a decent can but is limited in its use due to the mount. A similarly sized can that can be moved around between platforms will suit me much better. Like I said, we'll see how it turns out in the end.

On another note, how are y'all liking the second focal plane scopes on these rigs? Just about everyone is telling me to go first focal plane in this day and age. Vortex even makes a 2.5-10x32 that looks VERY similar to the Leupold Mark 4 but is FFP and mil/mil.
View All Quotes

I'll let the chainsaw guys respond
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:40:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Twitchy] [#12]

View All Quotes

What you describe is your interpretation of a recce style rifle, not MK12.  If you look closely, you'll notice this is the Official Mk12 thread.

Edit-Check out my MK12 mod awesome guys!

I made a few changes due to superior performance, but the spirit is there.

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:51:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Absolutely! Never said it'll be a Mk12.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:59:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wayfaerer320] [#14]

View All Quotes

Personally, I think 1st focal plane is nice, but I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal on a scope that maxes out at 10X on a DMR type rifle like the MK12.

When you get into competitive shooting and you're shooting precision guns with ammo that can really go the distance, then 1st focal plane is pretty much a necessity - much more practical.

Not that I would turn down a 1st focal plane scope for a MK12 rifle, but a 2nd focal plane scope is plenty effective.

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 6:02:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: blkrmycs] [#15]
Back on mk 12 subject. Do any of you who have suppressors clean them with clip or whatever. I'm sure it has been covered somewhere but I am asking again Instead of looking thru 1200+ pages for an answer. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 6:07:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AggiePhil] [#16]
No need to clean centerfire rifle cans. I do lightly clean my mounts with Fireclean though.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 6:54:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Just wanna post some pictures, I don't know why
" />
" />
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 7:40:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Because it was suggested there aren't enough Mk12s with cans in here
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 9:38:30 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

If you're in this thread without a suppressed Mk12, that's bad. And you should feel bad.

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 9:44:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

If you're in this thread without a suppressed Mk12, that's bad. And you should feel bad.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/RTUtah/ARs/FullSizeRender%202_zpsws6q58kd.jpg

View All Quotes

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/RTUtah/ARs/FullSizeRender%202_zpsws6q58kd.jpg

That paint is sex.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 9:53:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Can you purchase a can directly from Allen Engineering?
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 12:37:08 AM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

Some of us live in a commie state
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 12:38:59 AM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

Why yes they do.

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 1:05:58 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote
In what world do they look even slightly similar?

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 1:28:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Probably blasphemous, but I probably wouldn't even own a Mk 12 if I couldn't suppress it. (Still waiting on Brownells to release their A1 stock kits so I can actually use the lower I have built . . .)

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 1:40:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By BurtSaun1049:
Probably blasphemous, but I probably wouldn't even own a Mk 12 if I couldn't suppress it. (Still waiting on Brownells to release their A1 stock kits so I can actually use the lower I have built . . .)

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c99/BurtSaun/20160111_155218_zpsawvkqdkc.jpg
View Quote

Brownells is releasing an A1 stock kit?? When? How have I not heard of this?!
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 2:02:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By RadOP:

My OPS Inc 12th Model purchased back in 2012 came with the brake and short collar not a long collar.  

MIL rifles all used the long collar, id assume its safe to say even the holland uses the long collar
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RadOP:
Originally Posted By HaveBlue83:
Nobody ever used short. Allen made short ones for some reason after ops stopped. Ops made the originals. They were all long.

AFAIK, Ops before they folded were making short collars too.

My OPS Inc 12th Model purchased back in 2012 came with the brake and short collar not a long collar.  

MIL rifles all used the long collar, id assume its safe to say even the holland uses the long collar

Wait, I thought the MK12 Mod 1 used the short collar? AEM Collar for MK12
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 2:06:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Johnson184:

View All Quotes

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/buffer-tube-parts/buffer-tubes/a1-rifle-stock-completion-kit-sku080000553-27315-53574.aspx

No issue Mk 12 or Holland used a short collar--all long.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 2:34:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MNRidesHonda] [#29]
Couldn't post on the previous page because I have no suppressor haha

Group from the vid clip. Shot 5 but only 4 holes are in the picture. The 5th one was a flier and the hole is about 1.5" away at 10 o'clock..
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 4:47:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: axarob44] [#30]
That Brownells kit is only the guts of the A1 stock, it says ' receiver extension. buffer, buffer spring, and upper screw'. That doesn' t include the stock body itself, the buttplate, buttplate door assembly, sling swivel, or swivel screw.  The only thing different than an A2 stock setup is the upper screw is shorter on the A1 stock and there is no spacer on the A1, well the swivel screw is longer too.  Swivel is the same as an A2 . Atleast that's how it reads to me.  I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 8:15:32 AM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By MNRidesHonda:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/924/IFDh6n.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/921/YH5ZBW.jpg

https://youtu.be/j-A_f9bOrr4

Group from the vid clip. Shot 5 but only 4 holes are in the picture. The 5th one was a flier and the hole is about 1.5" away at 10 o'clock..

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/923/loiUk3.jpg
View Quote

This is gonna sound fruity but, that sweat shirt is badass! Where'd ya get it??

Mod 1 rocks too. Nice shootin, even with the "flier".

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 9:26:07 AM EDT
[#32]

Originally Posted By rdpayne23:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rdpayne23:

Let's get you outta there.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:26:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By RyanO20:
Can you purchase a can directly from Allen Engineering?
View Quote

You can. Though it will have to be on a dealer to dealer first and then a form 4 to you. That's what I did for mine. Dealer to Dealer took 3-4 weeks and my dealer did the paperwork mid Jan.

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:49:56 AM EDT
[#34]
How to cheat at the clone game part 1:

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 11:06:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pennsylvaniaroots] [#35]
It is well understood by many who frequent this forum that the mk12 is (arguably) outdated, and there may be new options that will better fill certain builds/systems.  However, those in this thread have committed (with much less deviation than you plan on your build) to the clone.

That being said, 2.5-10x32ffp vortex's are very good, but they most certainly do not look like the mk4.  Just do your thing man, build what you want, nothing wrong with that.

edited to remove redundancies
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 11:14:46 AM EDT
[#36]
How to cheat at the clone game part 1:

<a href="http://postimage.org/" target="_blank">http://s12.postimg.org/sbo0whmnx/20160314_104755.jpg</a>
View Quote

this is the kind of content a Monday post should have.  Update us with pics when it's done
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 11:23:13 AM EDT
[#37]
picked rings up this past weekend.  Thanks to those who suggested the height. Now just waiting on an upper and lower.

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 12:45:15 PM EDT
[#38]

Originally Posted By pennsylvaniaroots:
picked rings up this past weekend.  Thanks to those who suggested the height. Now just waiting on an upper and lower.

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx235/jrminty2021/IMG_20160314_111117126.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 1:19:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HaveBlue83] [#39]
Booooooooooooooooom

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 1:31:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Zakk101abn:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zakk101abn:
Originally Posted By MNRidesHonda:
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/924/IFDh6n.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/921/YH5ZBW.jpg

https://youtu.be/j-A_f9bOrr4

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/923/loiUk3.jpg

Sold out a long time ago..
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 1:41:38 PM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/buffer-tube-parts/buffer-tubes/a1-rifle-stock-completion-kit-sku080000553-27315-53574.aspx

Oh man... Well who sells the long collar version then? Would it still be compatible with the AEM5?
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 3:06:30 PM EDT
[#42]

Oh man... Well who sells the long collar version then? Would it still be compatible with the AEM5?
View All Quotes

ADCO had them last week.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 3:07:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Booooooooooooooooom

<a href="http://postimage.org/" target="_blank">http://s11.postimg.org/gxr20jq1v/20160314_125916.jpg</a>

<a href="http://postimage.org/" target="_blank">http://s11.postimg.org/a60mxp12b/20160314_131037_HDR.jpg</a>

<a href="http://postimage.org/" target="_blank">http://s10.postimg.org/nzsiyw6qx/20160314_133733.jpg</a>

View Quote

Well....... How much? lol
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

Booooooooooooooooom

<a href="http://postimage.org/" target="_blank">http://s11.postimg.org/gxr20jq1v/20160314_125916.jpg</a>
<a href="http://postimage.org/" target="_blank">http://s11.postimg.org/a60mxp12b/20160314_131037_HDR.jpg</a>

<a href="http://postimage.org/" target="_blank">http://s10.postimg.org/nzsiyw6qx/20160314_133733.jpg</a>

It is quite simple and takes 2 hours. I would be willing to do them as long as i got a picture of them before being sent to me so i can see what version they are.

PM me. It wont be much at all. I enjoy doing these and have the next 8 weeks to do some if needed.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 4:05:56 PM EDT
[#45]

Finally... somebody as crazy as I am.

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 4:16:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Booooooooooooooooom

View Quote

Genius!!

[insert "It's beautiful" cat meme]
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 4:24:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 5:45:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KGLaw] [#48]
Booooooooooooooooom

View Quote

Well done. Things improve here I'd love to get you to do a set for my faux Gen I.  The only thing original on it is the wheeled FSB, yet everything else is or will be spec. Go figure.

I don't intend to post this iteration of the rifle to this thread going forward given my intentional deviations from spec, but here is a shot for the sake of comparison. No light here today, so excuse the flash.

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 5:46:50 PM EDT
[#49]
My offering to the krylon gods. It was my first time with the mesh...
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 5:50:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HaveBlue83] [#50]
DAT HOLLAND DOE^^^^ nicley done!

Page / 1178
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top