Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
FightLite / ARES SCR Pics (Page 6 of 45)
Page / 45
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 11:50:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I like how people make fun of the ca or NY neutered guns but somehow this lower is better... i would rather have a top of the line upper/lower combo than this any day... rainier arms mod 3 billet etc....
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 11:51:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gadgetguy1288:
I thought of that before but I think in the flipped up position they would still be too tall. It says they can be used on the G36 and 416 which have the same height requirement as the AR.
View Quote

416 has a higher rail and lower sights than a regular AR
HK

I don't have experience with the SCR but I know Troy and Centurion both make "lower than AR" sights
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 12:06:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By army11b:
I like how people make fun of the ca or NY neutered guns but somehow this lower is better... i would rather have a top of the line upper/lower combo than this any day... rainier arms mod 3 billet etc....
View Quote

If you can't have a pistol grip then, yes, it is better.

I am sure everyone in CA and NY would love to have normal ARs...What's your point?
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 3:33:22 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

Must be tough to only like one style of gun.  I can't eat vanilla ice cream only.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 4:35:46 PM EDT
[#5]
This would be pretty nice with a side charging upper IMO.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 10:52:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By di11igaf:
View Quote

That seems to be a really common conclusion folks arrive at.

Ran across a cool pic on Instagram of an SCR with both .223 and .22LR uppers in a discrete carry case:
http://www.online-instagram.com/media/981348582177196172_1733875081

Again kinda gets back to the question as to whether the stock can be made even shorter than the Short Sporter config, and if it's at all possible to potentially make a SU-16C style PG-less folding stock for an SCR. At least the forthcoming trapdoor buttplate would be a useful accessory for a bugout SCR.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 1:54:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MatthewVanitas:

Ran across a cool pic on Instagram of an SCR with both .223 and .22LR uppers in a discrete carry case:

http://i62.tinypic.com/2s7wcy8.jpg

Again kinda gets back to the question as to whether the stock can be made even shorter than the Short Sporter config, and if it's at all possible to potentially make a SU-16C style PG-less folding stock for an SCR. At least the forthcoming trapdoor buttplate would be a useful accessory for a bugout SCR.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By di11igaf:

http://i62.tinypic.com/2s7wcy8.jpg

Considering the long 'buffer tube' in the stock, I don't think that would work too well.  Although the trapdoor would be useful.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 3:48:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By NorthPolar:

Considering the long 'buffer tube' in the stock, I don't think that would work too well.  Although the trapdoor would be useful.
View All Quotes

I've been squinting at the diagrams trying to figure that out. I thought part of that big tube in the stock was also the screw-in bolt for securing the stock to the receiver, but looking at it now there's a big spring in it. Which is more mechanism than I expected since the actual rat-tail doesn't protrude that far into the stock.

GooglePatent has the whole thing here: https://www.google.com/patents/US8397623

So it looks like you could hack a foot or so off the stock, but not enough to make it really collapse back over the receiver. Though, if you could rig up one of the AR-15 uppers which keeps its recoil mechanism in the upper itself, like some of the systems which allow a totally folding stock on the AR, that might work. Though at that point it's just monkeying with things on principle rather than really practical. Or, alternately using an upper which is straight-blowback, like in 5.7mm.

Link Posted: 5/18/2015 4:10:46 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

Ok, what are you trying to say?
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:26:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Medicfrost:

Must be tough to only like one style of gun.  I can't eat vanilla ice cream only.
View All Quotes

I can't eat only vanilla ice cream either. Not only that, but I've shot pistol-gripped AR's/M16's/M4's etc. at least weekly since the mid-1980's and I'll bet that you won't find a faster handling, faster pointing pistol-gripped rifle over the 5.7 lb ARES SCR with its traditional stock. But don't take my word for it...

BTW, since this is a picture thread here's a pic of the optional iron sights that we just released.

Here's what they look like installed.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:37:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Has anyone put a norgon ambi mag release, or any other ambi mag release in this lower?
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:18:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:30:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MatthewVanitas] [#13]
Speaking of other uppers, anyone managed to figure out which dedicated .22LR uppers interface smoothly with the SCR? And anyone tried any blowback pistol-caliber uppers on one?

EDIT: another cool build off the Ares FB page. I'm digging these DMR-style jobbies:

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:36:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Speaking of other uppers, anyone managed to figure out which dedicated .22LR uppers interface smoothly with the SCR? And anyone tried any blowback pistol-caliber uppers on one?

EDIT: another cool build off the Ares FB page. I'm digging these DMR-style jobbies:

http://i60.tinypic.com/2efj1w7.jpg
View Quote

I would NOT run a blowback pistol cal upper on the SCR.
-Not enough mass to the bolt to keep it closed until pressure drops, meaning potential case ruptures and violent cycling.
-You would have to chop up and modify a blowback bolt to adapt the rat-tail.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:24:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: coldblue] [#15]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:15:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gadgetguy1288] [#16]
Has anyone actually tried a set of the Troy Micros? I have seen them mentioned a few times in another thread but no actual first hand accounts of whether they will work or not.

Also, I saw one picture a while back that showed an SCR with the GG&G 870/1100 QD sling plate on it, but couldn't get any other info on what it took to make it work(if anything), and if it interfered with anything. Anybody know whether that would work without any modifications?

Anyone here tried sending their trigger to Bill Springfield to see what he can do with it? I've always heard great things about his trigger work, and I emailed him a while back to see if he could do it and he replied that he had already done a few, but was hoping for some firsthand experience before I went ahead and did it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:17:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CarpNY] [#17]
Anyone here tried sending their trigger to Bill Springfield to see what he can do with it? I've always heard great things about his trigger work, and I emailed him a while back to see if he could do it and he replied that he had already done a few, but was hoping for some firsthand experience before I went ahead and did it.
View Quote

You should be specific when you ask about the trigger.  The original ones (10+ lbs) are pretty terrible and would likely benefit a lot from tuning, but the newer ones are lighter/better (5 lbs) and so might not benefit as much.  If you "emailed him a while back", then the ones that he had done were probably the old ones.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:58:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By CarpNY:

You should be specific when you ask about the trigger.  The original ones (10+ lbs) are pretty terrible and would likely benefit a lot from tuning, but the newer ones are lighter/better (5 lbs) and so might not benefit as much.  If you "emailed him a while back", then the ones that he had done were probably the old ones.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CarpNY:

Bill Springfield does not have the best rep on here after several accounts of unsafe trigger function. Stoning through the thin surface hardness on mil spec parts is bad juju.  Not worth it when there are decent cheap aftermarket triggers like ALG out there.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:25:06 AM EDT
[#19]
I had a Bill Springfield trigger job turn into a MG in an AR10. Fired on the initial squeeze and again on reset. Needless to say, it was removed and destroyed immediately. Never buying from him again.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#20]
I'd like to add one to the stable.

Looks like it would make a good varmint rifle.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 7:07:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MatthewVanitas] [#21]
Originally Posted By ishoot2live:
I'd like to add one to the stable.

Looks like it would make a good varmint rifle.
View Quote

That's one thing I was wondering about, from coldblue and other folks that use these like varmint/target rifles.

Does the lack of protruding pistol grip make these more comfortable to use from the bench or from the prone than the standard PG lower?

If so, if there were a decent variety of aftermarket triggers and stocks for the SCR, would it be a superior/preferred design for those purposes?

EDIT: good up-close pic of the new sights from a retailer. But I'd want to know how much better these are than the CZ Evo option before paying the difference:

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:15:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:38:48 AM EDT
[#23]
I am ready for a SCR with wood furniture (stock and hand guard) and  a flush fit magazine.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:40:47 AM EDT
[#24]
No idea if this would work but we were discussing mating a SCR lower with a Cannon for a faux M-79 look.
http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1684992&page=18

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:39:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Miles_Urbanus:
No idea if this would work but we were discussing mating a SCR lower with a Cannon for a faux M-79 look.

http://i.imgur.com/DT2QLdi.png
View Quote

I like it!!
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:44:53 PM EDT
[#26]
How many rounds would a flush fit SCR magazine hold? A "normal" flush fit AR-15 magazine is 10 rounds but I can't help but wonder if you could fit a few more in there and the 10 rounds is for ban state compliance.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:51:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bjohnson425] [#27]
How many rounds would a flush fit SCR magazine hold? A "normal" flush fit AR-15 magazine is 10 rounds but I can't help but wonder if you could fit a few more in there and the 10 rounds is for ban state compliance.
View Quote

I believe it states the 5 round mag is flush fit since the magwell is much smaller
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:34:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Ares_Defense:
Here's one from a customer in 6.8 with a VLTOR CAS-V handguard.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v14/Medicfrost/hog68.jpg~original
View Quote

oh... hellllooooooooooooooooo
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:55:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By bjohnson425:

I believe it states the 5 round mag is flush fit since the magwell is much smaller
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bjohnson425:

The 5 round mag it comes with is a 10 round mag with a stacked spring coil at the bottom to fill in space. A true flush fit magazine for the SCR would be like 3 rounds and would need a leaf spring instead of the standard coil spring.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:03:41 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't know what they were thinking with that stock. At least get rid of the old school checkering or offer different stock designs without it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:45:29 PM EDT
[#31]

http://i.imgur.com/DT2QLdi.png
View Quote

I don't see why it wouldn't.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:09:14 PM EDT
[#32]

While I understand promptness in getting on the market is important, I did note in the December 2014 review by TFB that the three main criticisms were: a) no BHO, b) no iron sight option, c) 10lb trigger. I'm glad to see that all three of those got tackled in the first year of production. Though my Monday Morning Quarterback still says letting them out the door with the 10lb trigger may have been ill-advised, since it's the single most common complaint I've seen across various forums, with a number of folks calling it a dealbreaker. Sure, it's addressed now, but winning back folks with an initial negative impression is harder than impressing folks in the first place.

In any case, the TFB review also had a neat pic I hadn't seen shared on Arf: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/12/18/gun-review-ares-defense-scr-carbine/

http://i60.tinypic.com/2gwesrp.jpg

Leopold 1-5 scope in a cantilever mount.Would that upper be an 18" barrel with a rifle-length gas, or some sort of Dissipator-type?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rontalvos:
Is there a projected price for either set of sights?

Yes, price for the sight set as pictured is $139.95. (Gun and other accessories not included of course)

While I understand promptness in getting on the market is important, I did note in the December 2014 review by TFB that the three main criticisms were: a) no BHO, b) no iron sight option, c) 10lb trigger. I'm glad to see that all three of those got tackled in the first year of production. Though my Monday Morning Quarterback still says letting them out the door with the 10lb trigger may have been ill-advised, since it's the single most common complaint I've seen across various forums, with a number of folks calling it a dealbreaker. Sure, it's addressed now, but winning back folks with an initial negative impression is harder than impressing folks in the first place.

In any case, the TFB review also had a neat pic I hadn't seen shared on Arf: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/12/18/gun-review-ares-defense-scr-carbine/

Leopold 1-5 scope in a cantilever mount.Would that upper be an 18" barrel with a rifle-length gas, or some sort of Dissipator-type?

I have a question. If someone was going to use a upper receiver like this what rear sight would
you use?

Also, has anyone used a suppressor with one? How about a side charger upper? I saw that 3 would
work and one that needs a $25 mod to work with the SCR. Also, with the side charger upper, will
the bolt hold open work? I have never used one before.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:39:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Damnit Guys.  I just figured how I am going to build my DMR.  My wallet hates you.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 8:14:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By MDStroup:

I have a question. If someone was going to use a upper receiver like this what rear sight would
you use?

Also, has anyone used a suppressor with one? How about a side charger upper? I saw that 3 would
work and one that needs a $25 mod to work with the SCR. Also, with the side charger upper, will
View All Quotes

Yes, price for the sight set as pictured is $139.95. (Gun and other accessories not included of course)

you use?

I've used it with a suppressor.  Ran fine.  I don't have the bolt catch because it wasn't available from my seller.  It's cheesy that it didn't just come with it.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 8:22:14 PM EDT
[#35]

I've used it with a suppressor.  Ran fine.  I don't have the bolt catch because it wasn't available from my seller.  It's cheesy that it didn't just come with it.  
View All Quotes

you use?

The bolt catch doesn't come with the SCR? Is that standard for all of them? Does it
require a special bolt catch then and do they sell it now if it does?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 8:37:37 PM EDT
[#36]

The bolt catch doesn't come with the SCR? Is that standard for all of them? Does it
View Quote

It's like a $30 unit that just drops in and is held in place by the closed upper.  We've mentioned other methods of attachment to Ares, so we'll see what happens.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:05:19 PM EDT
[#37]

It's like a $30 unit that just drops in and is held in place by the closed upper.  We've mentioned other methods of attachment to Ares, so we'll see what happens.
View All Quotes

That sucks! Why is it so much? Is it made from gold? Also that doesn't
seem very secure. How well does it stay attached?
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 12:53:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Can the SCR Lower handle .50 Beowulf or other heavy calibers?
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 12:01:14 PM EDT
[#39]
They've talked about it on facebook a bit and showed several pictures of customer builds for 450/458/50's, so I would assume yes. I'll bet they kick a bit more than in an AR though since you can't put an H buffer in them
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 12:39:58 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

Any proprietary part that is produced in limited numbers is going to be pricey.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 12:45:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By tdp916:
I don't know what they were thinking with that stock. At least get rid of the old school checkering or offer different stock designs without it.
View Quote

As an owner of synthetic and wooden stock s that have and do not have checking or stipling, I prefer to have checking to hold on to when it's wet and things get slippery.

If the stock was stipled in a more modern style or appearance, would that make a difference?
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 3:28:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ThinkFear] [#42]

View All Quotes

It's like a $30 unit that just drops in and is held in place by the closed upper. We've mentioned other methods of attachment to Ares, so we'll see what happens.

I get Ares' logic behind making the bolt catch optional, but given that their lowers are hardly a budget option, it's really something that should be included in the box.

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 4:15:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By ThinkFear:

I get Ares' logic behind making the bolt catch optional, but given that their lowers are hardly a budget option, it's really something that should be included in the box.    
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ThinkFear:

It's like a $30 unit that just drops in and is held in place by the closed upper. We've mentioned other methods of attachment to Ares, so we'll see what happens.

It should absolutely be included. Having to pay extra for it is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 11:31:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FightingHellfish] [#44]
I don't know if it has already been suggested, but...

With the current push by PC city governments for "less aggressive" appearance by police, Ares might have a great opportunity to market appropriately set up SCRs as a Law Enforcement Patrol Carbine.

Ares LEPC.

Guys, you can just send me the first one for free.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 11:59:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
I don't know if it has already been suggested, but...

With the current push by PC city governments for "less aggressive" appearance by police, Ares might have a great opportunity to market appropriately set up SCRs as a Law Enforcement Patrol Carbine.

Ares LEPC.

Guys, you can just send me the first one for free.
View Quote

After they get tested in arctic conditions of course

Seriously though, not a bad idea
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 6:51:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Anybody seen the bolt catch for sale anywhere else besides Ares? I've sent two emails about buying one, in the last week but still haven't heard back and my work hours usually prevent me from being able to call while they are open.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 7:43:14 AM EDT
[#47]
The Camp-Site Sport Shop has them.  631-271-4969
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 10:06:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Anybody seen the bolt catch for sale anywhere else besides Ares? I've sent two emails about buying one, in the last week but still haven't heard back and my work hours usually prevent me from being able to call while they are open.
View Quote

Don't hold your breath on the emails.  I emailed them a month ago, and still haven't heard back.  The bolt catches are on eBay.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 10:47:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Here's a picture of our law enforcement carbine that's based on this platform called the ARES MPR (Modular Patrol Rifle). -Being tested by some ban-state LE agencies and other LE that are being "demilitarized" by their local governments...

Key features that are different from a stock ARES SCR:

Chrome lined 16.25" barrel, 1:9 RHT, Optional 10.5" SBR available
Std M4 upper receiver with case deflector and EP cover & sling swivel in place of forward assist
Bolt catch
Iron Sights
Optional Diamondhead VRS hand guard

Standard ARES MPR

SBR version of ARES MPR with 10.5" barrel

Link Posted: 6/2/2015 11:10:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Here's a picture of our law enforcement carbine that's based on this platform called the ARES MPR (Modular Patrol Rifle). -Being tested by some ban-state LE agencies and other LE that are being "demilitarized" by their local governments...

Key features that are different from a stock ARES SCR:

Chrome lined 16.25" barrel, 1:9 RHT, Optional 10.5" SBR available
Std M4 upper receiver with case deflector and EP cover & sling swivel in place of forward assist
Bolt catch
Iron Sights
Optional Diamondhead VRS hand guard

Standard ARES MPR
http://i62.tinypic.com/se6aev.jpg

SBR version of ARES MPR with 10.5" barrel
http://i58.tinypic.com/2clctu.jpg

View Quote

I'm about to have a spare 11" 6.8 barrel laying around....
Page / 45
FightLite / ARES SCR Pics (Page 6 of 45)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top