User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 4:24:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I ASSUME Brownells will say the mags meet military specifications for longevity . Which is probably true. But I'll be going elsewhere for mine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does Brownells warranty their own branded products?

I've heard this claim a few times, but never seen anything definitive to confirm it.

I ASSUME Brownells will say the mags meet military specifications for longevity . Which is probably true. But I'll be going elsewhere for mine.

We had cracked feed lips with the majority of mags from a purchase 300, they issued a full refund.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 4:44:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted: ..... I'm surprised that the actual manufacturer of these magazines ( I believe it is Co-Line Welding/Manufacuring of Linnville/Sully, Iowa ) hasn't corrected this problem a long time ago.....
View Quote

I agree.

Is there anybody out there who has a Brownells mag that doesn't have these creases?

If so, what is the production date?
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 5:57:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Are we over thinking this, is this normal for there mags?  Wish Brownells would comment.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 6:27:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Are we over thinking this, is this normal for there mags?  Wish Brownells would comment.
View Quote

Maybe if the creases were noticed and people were wanting refunds without  any evidence of them cracking/tearing.  But there seems to be a clear pattern of them failing at the defect.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I can think of two words.....

Okay Industries
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn double tap
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 6:54:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes but most thought they are good mags?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:30:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, crap. All my Brownell's 20 rounders have the creases. 03-09 and 02-13 date codes. No failures so far...
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:46:30 AM EDT
[#9]
GI 20 round mags are normally open on the back anyway. There is no metal to crease. Not sure why it would worry anyone.
http://nhmtgmags.com/20round.html
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:16:47 AM EDT
[#10]
FWIW, here's some pictures off the internet of what Colt 20s look like.

That area at the rear of the feedlips isn't even there.

Not that it's particularily relevant here, but I just checked and my Ruger Mini-14 mags, both 20s and 30s look just like the Colts below.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:41:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:36:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
We apologize & are sorry to hear some of you received faulty magazines.  This is frankly the first time the team here has been alerted to this potential issue. We do not have a documented “bad batch” of magazines out there, especially military issue mags.  This thread has been passed to our production staff to get eyes on & provide you with a detailed response.  Anyone who has purchased commercial magazines (not the tan follower military magazine), please contact us for a full refund or exchange.  Please do so even if you did not purchase these directly from Brownells.  Those with military magazines (tan follower), we will be PMing you to work out a solution.
View Quote

Wow, thanks for the response.
Brownells = Stand Up Company.

I started this thread assuming there was some common knowledge out there about a bad batch or two.

As it turns out this kind of blindsided you and for that I apologize.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:01:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:26:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:11:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:23:50 PM EDT
[#16]
After reading this thread, I checked my  10 20 rounders with the date  code 7-15...yep all have the creases.

Since all of them from several years ago until now seem to have them, how many have actually failed?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:09:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

yep, same here
Looks like AmmunitionDepot was dumping known bad mags, i hope that is not the case
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:..... The out side looks fine but if you look inside the mag there are cracks starting in the same place as in the picts posted. Looks like when they formed the feed lip it put a crease and weakend the lips.....

ALL of the 20 round Brownells mags that I had delivered this past Saturday from ammunitiondepot.com have the crease that will develop into cracks.  Some of the creases extend to the outer edge of the lip and where already there when the dry-lube coating was applied.  

These mags are dated 02-13.

DAMN!  
well that's just great,I got 6 from ammunitiondepot all dated 02-13  

yep, same here
Looks like AmmunitionDepot was dumping known bad mags, i hope that is not the case

I picked up 4 of the 20rd mags from AmmunitionDepot two weeks ago, dated 4-13 and they all have the creases on both sides.
Also checked all my Brownells 30rd mags, gonna have to reach out to Brownell's more info.

24 new mags in all for me and 15 are new in wrap tan follower
Reached out to Brownell's, hopefully I'll hear back soon. Looking for an exchange, worst case scenario, a refund.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:32:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I have 7 of the Ammunition Depot 20 round Brownell's mags.  They have the creases.  I plan on using them
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:57:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We need confirmation that mags with the creases actually fail as opposed to those that do not have the creases.
View Quote

Yes I agree, as I said are we all over thinking this?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:28:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We need confirmation that mags with the creases actually fail as opposed to those that do not have the creases.

I checked and the creases are in a lot of other manufacturers mags. steel and aluminum. I think we may be otherthinking it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:10:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I checked and the creases are in a lot of other manufacturers mags. steel and aluminum. I think we may be otherthinking it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I'm hoping. If people are just now noticing creases on mags made 3-5 years ago, you would think we would be hearing about tons of failures if there was a problem with them.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:58:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Tag...

Interesting, I'll have to check my Brownell mag's
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:32:25 PM EDT
[#25]
My Okay and D&H don't have the crease.  With a ban always looming I'm not taking any chances.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:02:40 AM EDT
[#26]
never been that impressed with Brownells AR mags, they are just adequate and clearly meet the goal of being the lowest cost bidder.   Comparing them to D&H and esp. OKAY, you can see a lot of dimensions and seams are not especially consistent.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:08:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just looked through a few other mags, (Okay/Colt), and none are creased on the inside like the Brownell's. They do have slight marks on the outside at that location I assume the way that they are made makes those, and even without the crease some of my mags are cracked in that exact spot.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:00:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:16:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
We wanted to provide an update after running this by the production staff.  The area in question does indeed pose an interesting manufacturing challenge, as the feed lip & rear contour are formed at the same time.  Consequently, there may occasionally be an appearance of a fold or crease.  This does not affect the integrity of the feed lips.  USGI style aluminum magazines from other magazines will also illustrate this “crease” to a larger or lesser extent.  

If anyone has any concerns about the magazines you have in your possession, please contact us and we will get you a refund or exchange.  Any product produced or sold by Brownells has our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee.  We appreciate everyone here bringing this up, and we will work to remove this cosmetic issue from future magazine production runs.
View Quote

Thank you for standing behind your product so well.  While I only have one of your mags, I was put off after seeing mine have a crack and did not buy anymore.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:27:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Even though I don't have any of your magazines, I would like to express my gratitude for you stepping up and making this right!

Compare this response to the Mako/Elander response.

This shows that Brownells is a stand up company with OUTSTANDING Customer Service!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We wanted to provide an update after running this by the production staff.  The area in question does indeed pose an interesting manufacturing challenge, as the feed lip & rear contour are formed at the same time.  Consequently, there may occasionally be an appearance of a fold or crease.  This does not affect the integrity of the feed lips.  USGI style aluminum magazines from other magazines will also illustrate this “crease” to a larger or lesser extent.  

If anyone has any concerns about the magazines you have in your possession, please contact us and we will get you a refund or exchange.  Any product produced or sold by Brownells has our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee.  We appreciate everyone here bringing this up, and we will work to remove this cosmetic issue from future magazine production runs.

Even though I don't have any of your magazines, I would like to express my gratitude for you stepping up and making this right!

This shows that Brownells is a stand up company with OUTSTANDING Customer Service!

Big +1
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:22:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Great news thanks for the response Brownells.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Who was it that said they would stand behind their mags early in this thread?  
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:57:21 PM EDT
[#34]
I have 10 Brownell's mags NIW, but I took one out to see if it exhibited this characteristic.

From the outside, you can see the seam referenced by Brownell's above. It doesn't seem as pronounced as some of the pics earlier in the thread. Since I can see this part of the mag from outside the package, I looked at the other nine and they all basically look like this.

From the inside, it also has a "crease" visible, but it doesn't seem very severe. since I only pulled one out, it is just an assumption that the rest look like this.

This one is a manufatured dated of 06-13. Considering all 10 were purchased at the same time, I'll assume the rest are similar vintage.

I'm not gonna worry about it and just shoot them. Since Brownell's posted that they have a 100% satisfaction guarantee, I'll just monitor for issues going forward and let them know if any arise.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:30:29 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

We wanted to provide an update after running this by the production staff.  The area in question does indeed pose an interesting manufacturing challenge, as the feed lip & rear contour are formed at the same time.  Consequently, there may occasionally be an appearance of a fold or crease.  This does not affect the integrity of the feed lips.  USGI style aluminum magazines from other magazines will also illustrate this "crease” to a larger or lesser extent.  

very glad you brought up this comparison,Brownells stepped right up offering to take care of any problems and mako just made excuses and put ridiculous demands on their customer..

not sure what Im doing with my 6 mags yet,might just use them and see if it turns out to be a problem or not..but its nice to know Brownells has me covered..

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:53:36 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a number of these in reserve, not sure I want to send them back or anything though.  It seems like there would be more reports of failures if the noted crease was causing a weak point that isn't normally there.  I will say I looked at a few 30's and 20's, and they all show the crease that everyone is concerned about.  Looking at my other USGI mags none I inspected so far have that crease.  Looking for more info...
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:57:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Great news thanks for the response Brownells.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:48:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thank you for getting involved and your timely responses, but most importantly, thank you for standing behind your products.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 12:01:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Thanks for the great response Brownells! I knew there was a reason I buy all my small AR parts and a lot of other items from you guys. ($300 AR parts order just last week )

I've got 50-60 Brownells 30 rounders that I'll be checking in the next few days. Some are NIW, others are in my range rotation and couple handfuls have been loaded since I received them so I'll start with them. Never had an issue or a single failure with them so I have no problem continuing to use them even with a minor crease, now that I know you guys will stand behind any issues that arise.

P.S. I probably have some of the "affected" date codes since my last big mag order was Sandy Hook night (along with the rest of America) but I guess we'll see!
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 11:10:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I have a number of these in reserve, not sure I want to send them back or anything though.  It seems like there would be more reports of failures if the noted crease was causing a weak point that isn't normally there.  I will say I looked at a few 30's and 20's, and they all show the crease that everyone is concerned about.  Looking at my other USGI mags none I inspected so far have that crease.  Looking for more info...
View Quote

Seeing some of the pics, its not so much the crease but the metal being thin at the crease. I've seen some pics here where the metal is thick at the crease and I doubt those will be trouble to seeing some pics with the metal being so thin at that spot that it even has the beginning of a crack without the magazine being used.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:13:50 AM EDT
[#41]

This is my mag that cracked.  I don't think I have used it.  The creases on the inside are horrible and the metal is very thin at the crease.  The date code is 3-09.  Brownells has already replaced the mag and I salute them for standing behind their product.  Thank you Brownells.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:33:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
We apologize & are sorry to hear some of you received faulty magazines.  This is frankly the first time the team here has been alerted to this potential issue. We do not have a documented “bad batch” of magazines out there, especially military issue mags.  This thread has been passed to our production staff to get eyes on & provide you with a detailed response.  Anyone who has purchased commercial magazines (not the tan follower military magazine), please contact us for a full refund or exchange.  Please do so even if you did not purchase these directly from Brownells.  Those with military magazines (tan follower), we will be PMing you to work out a solution.
View Quote

PM sent
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 7:52:33 PM EDT
[#43]
I have learned of these issues and started searching for information. I have 30 rounders dated 10/06. Are these the CProduct mags that were mentioned or had Brownells switched over to their own manufacture
by that time?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#44]
I have 10 20 round'ers with dates:03/09 and 02/13.  Gonna send them back.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 9:51:03 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote
Have those mags EVER failed you?

I have Brownell's  20 and 30 rounders, and they have not failed me yet.  The 30 rounders are surplus.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 10:39:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Brownells is not going to take them back.  I've been blown off about these mags by their customer service rep here at least three times.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 2:23:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Nope,brand new still wrapped, just dont want the chance.  Want to buy them?

Quoted:

I have Brownell's  20 and 30 rounders, and they have not failed me yet.  The 30 rounders are surplus.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/4/2016 8:34:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Can we just download the form for a return from your website, even though we purchased from another seller, complete and return items per instructions?

Thanks

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/4/2016 10:35:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Just checked my Brownells 20's that I ordered right after Sandy Hook.
Ordered 40, 20 standard spring and 20 CS spring (didn't have 40 of each in stock at the time), and put them up, as a reserve stash. Just found that every one I checked has the crease.

I ordered them directly from Bownells, so at least they have a legit record of the transaction..
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Brownells is not going to take them back.  I've been blown off about these mags by their customer service rep here at least three times.
View Quote
I got a refund check from them.

Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top