User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 1/14/2012 7:47:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
 Has Colt-Canada gone to the castlenut style lower receiver lock ring vs the old CAR spanner wrench lock ring?

No, they still use the old CAR style.  They also machine off the visible threads on new receiver extensions.  Old C8's used regular Colt two pos style receiver extensions

iaincnclaw, get ahold of Craftsman441 on gunnutz, he has all the measurements required for the C8 profile.  He's made a very nice C8 replica barrel for himself.  I'd post them here for all to see but I'm not a fan of reposting others work.
Link Posted: 1/14/2012 9:57:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I started to build a C7A1 clone then decided to put an American twist on the rifle.
I ended up with this,

Magpul furniture in O.D.
1-7" Goverment profile barrel
VLTOR extension tube.
DPMS Heavy carbine buffer which about matches the weight of the factory rifle length buffer, chrome silicone carbine spring.
Not really necessary but I had an extra.
The heavy buffer works perfectly, especially with the 68 grain bullet load I normally shoot in this rifle, function is perfect.
Danial Defense fixed BUIS which is a American made all aluminum version of the Canadian back up sight.
In a pinch it can be used as mounted, eye relief and sight plane are very good, the Canadians had a very good idea here and it is much more durable and user friendly than most of the American made BUIS.
Acog TA31 RCOA4 on a GG&G quik mount in place of the too expensive down here Elcan, the BUIS does NOT show in the scope's objective..
I ue an Armament Dynamics ambi charging handle in place of the clunky Canadian version. It works very well.
Norgon ambi magazine catch, wonderful and recommended accessory.
I can mount rails and a VFG to the rifle's forearm but normally don't. The option are there if I need them and I have several rail sections and a Magpul MOE vertical grip.
I have a U.S. made TRIAD rail assembly around here, it requires removing the front sight tower, slipping on the rail assembly and reinstalling the tower, too much work for such an impractible accessory, I tried shooting the rifle with it mounted, once.
It came off when I got back to the house.
I now have a Colt side mount sling loop installed and normally use a Spec-Ops Master Blaster two point sling on this rifle with the rear of the sling secured at the endplate loop.
My endplate loop was made by Brownells..
This rifle has become my favorite coyote hunting rig, just perfect in that application.
Link Posted: 1/14/2012 11:01:59 AM EDT
[#3]

colt canada engraveing
Link Posted: 1/14/2012 9:34:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Who sells the Canadian Colt lowers ?
Link Posted: 1/15/2012 1:47:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Who sells the Canadian Colt lowers ?

I have been looking for one for two years.
Link Posted: 1/15/2012 10:49:47 AM EDT
[#6]
no one sells colt canada lowers only law.military .
Link Posted: 1/15/2012 11:17:25 AM EDT
[#7]
braceman are these lowers finished and ready to go or will it need duracoat or sent out for final finish before parts kit installed?
Link Posted: 1/15/2012 4:56:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No he's talking about the Diemaco built 6520 and the 6920. They say "MADE IN CANADA" on the side of them.  You have to change your date on your lower. The one you have there is made in 1993, but it has the Colt Canda logo on it. It should have the Diemaco logo on it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2012 10:22:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Mike:
Theres a Colt Canada AR on Gunbroker now.
Link Posted: 1/15/2012 11:12:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Mike:

Exceptionally "rare", only $3000 for what were being sold on Sturmgewehr.com for under a grand last year......
Link Posted: 1/16/2012 2:07:12 PM EDT
[#11]
never said it was a deal
Link Posted: 1/16/2012 2:18:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No he's talking about the Diemaco built 6520 and the 6920. They say "MADE IN CANADA" on the side of them.  You have to change your date on your lower. The one you have there is made in 1993, but it has the Colt Canda logo on it. It should have the Diemaco logo on it.

Good eye.  serial No. should be 93AB for a C8, not TA
Link Posted: 1/16/2012 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#13]
the ser # on that is just a number i put in the pic. to take up space sorry .
Link Posted: 1/17/2012 3:54:59 PM EDT
[#14]
No need to apologize, we're just trying to ensure you get everything exact before you get it engraved.  A little difficult to make changes after the fact.

ETA:  If you're planning on making an accurate C8 clone then I'd suggest a serial number starting with 86 or 87, this is when the bulk of them were manufactured (or was it '85 and '86'?  Having trouble remembering at the moment).  The C7 was replaced by the flat top C7A1 around '91 I believe but the C8 didn't receive a flat top version until '03.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 1:50:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No need to apologize, we're just trying to ensure you get everything exact before you get it engraved.  A little difficult to make changes after the fact.

ETA:  If you're planning on making an accurate C8 clone then I'd suggest a serial number starting with 86 or 87, this is when the bulk of them were manufactured (or was it '85 and '86'?  Having trouble remembering at the moment).  The C7 was replaced by the flat top C7A1 around '91 I believe but the C8 didn't receive a flat top version until '03.

Also, if you're wanting your C8 lower to be authentic, try using the large stylized "D" between the trigger and hammer pins instead of the newer and stylized "Colt" w/ maple leaf.  Colt Canada has only recently started to manufacture lowers w/ the new design as per policy from Colt - Harford, CT.  From sources at Colt Canada, techs in the plant still stamp the lower receiver w/ the small stylized "D" in the area consumed by the pistol grip.

Your blueprint is impressive, though.

Link Posted: 1/18/2012 6:24:23 AM EDT
[#16]
braceman, if you like I'll try and take a good clear photo of an entire lower at work.  I know you have the C8 photos already but I didn't get a good shot of the selector or manufacturer markings.  When they made the upgrades to the C7 they used the original lowers so the bulk of ones in my unit have serial numbers from the 80's.  Do believe that the markings are already in the lower markings thread but I don't think it was the greatest photo.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 7:48:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Here's one that I used to get the engraving done.  The only thing that varies besides the Serial# is the Model C7, then A1 or A2 for the later variants.  

Sometimes the A2 is added to existing lowers, as suggested above, like this example.  More recent lowers have the latter model designation as part of the orriginal manufacture.

Colt's Commercial variant for sales

Norwegian SFW

British SFW

For the C8, it varies from C8 A1 to A3 or FTHB but not SFW in the CF: that's the UK version or Colt's demo designation, as seen above.
This would be the transition designation before the A3, FTHB is Flattop Heavy Barrel an upgrage variant to match the SFW specs done by request of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry.

This lower shows the added designation done for refitting, it's not necessarily centered because it is stamped after the orriginal C8 manufacture.

Here's a Colt's brochure pic of the C8A3 below the C7A2 upgrade.

An orriginal C7, showing the stamping.  Everyting lines up here but this one has not been upgraded.

A good summary is here at the CASR:
http://casr.ca/101-army-smallarm-1.htm
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 1:38:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Ok Leg and Rebel Rouser.  Please just clarify;  The C8 FTHB is heavy profile under the handgaurds?   I have been through the Archives looking at the old C8 thread Leg started and could not find the answer.  I know it is heavy forward of the FSB.
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 7:06:26 PM EDT
[#19]
The SFW barrel is 21.6mm under the handguards, approx .85 inches
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 10:22:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 11:05:59 PM EDT
[#21]
K
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok Leg and Rebel Rouser.  Please just clarify;  The C8 FTHB is heavy profile under the handgaurds?   I have been through the Archives looking at the old C8 thread Leg started and could not find the answer.  I know it is heavy forward of the FSB.
Thanks

I just machined my Colt 6721 and parkerized it yesterday. Slapping it together as we speak. The 6721 is the correct profile right behind the FSB. Here's the spec measured off a real C8 SFW barrel. They belong to a buddy.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/Rebel05/60589232.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/Rebel05/02a6851a.jpg

Awesome answer! Thanks RebelRouser, Leg and iaincnclaw for all the info and pics.  Now I wish I would have saved my first upper with an Oly 16in HB to reprofile. Great I have no need for any more uppers and now someone will offer me a barrel for too good of a price and I will be 275 into another upper. FEED the DISEASE!
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 9:08:02 AM EDT
[#22]
nice looking Milo.
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 3:30:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I thought that rifle looked familiar. If any one wants to know those are the Dlask engraved lowers. Dlask.com

www.dlaskarms.com

Dlask is good people. I've bought quite a few things from them and been to their shop in Delta.

Quality products and quality people.
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 4:31:16 AM EDT
[#24]
snip
Link Posted: 1/29/2012 11:09:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
nice looking Milo.

Thanks.
My thread was hijackted by the true believers.
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 1:29:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Where?
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 9:20:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Where?

Link Posted: 2/3/2012 6:23:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Yes got them, he's a great guy.
The C8 barrel dimensions did vary over the course of production, I am going for the earlier A1 profile, later they went to the heavier profile ahead of the FSB.
I believe.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 6:27:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Has Colt-Canada gone to the castlenut style lower receiver lock ring vs the old CAR spanner wrench lock ring?

No, they still use the old CAR style.  They also machine off the visible threads on new receiver extensions.  Old C8's used regular Colt two pos style receiver extensions

iaincnclaw, get ahold of Craftsman441 on gunnutz, he has all the measurements required for the C8 profile.  He's made a very nice C8 replica barrel for himself.  I'd post them here for all to see but I'm not a fan of reposting others work.

This is who I was talking about,.....

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 3:30:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 11:10:43 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/Rebel05/DSCN1988.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/Rebel05/DSCN1989.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/Rebel05/DSCN1990.jpg

Here's a Stag(ER Shaw) 14.5" M4 barrel that a buddy of mine machined down for me to the C8 profile. He got the specs off a real barrel.

J,

Do the newer issue C8 Carbines use the 0.75" Front Sight Base then taper to pencil profile up front?
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 6:49:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/Rebel05/DSCN1988.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/Rebel05/DSCN1989.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/Rebel05/DSCN1990.jpg
Here's a Stag(ER Shaw) 14.5" M4 barrel that a buddy of mine machined down for me to the C8 profile. He got the specs off a real barrel.

J,
 Do the newer issue C8 Carbines use the 0.75" Front Sight Base then taper to pencil profile up front?

The images he's showing are a replica of the original C8 barrel from the 80's, it has always used an .750" FSB.  Since you're a Roto 0 nut you might like to know that in the middle of that tour the infantry companies received two C8's per section that had that exact same barrel profile but came with a flat top upper with EoTech 552 mounted.  Only Armoured, Recce Pl, MP's and some logistics drivers had C8s in the original configuration at that time.

New C8's like the C8FTHB, C8A3 come with a 15.9" long med/heavy contour barrel with the simon sleeve.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 9:10:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Mike:

Exceptionally "rare", only $3000 for what were being sold on Sturmgewehr.com for under a grand last year......

He ended up selling it for $1750. The last one to sell on Gunbroker went for $979.
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 12:12:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 2:49:54 AM EDT
[#35]
OK.  I just noticed today.  My unit received our M4s in late 2003 or early 04.  The uppers have the Diemaco stylized D.  This is the USAF gaurd. I will try to get epics of the uppers and some C7.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 10:58:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
OK.  I just noticed today.  My unit received our M4s in late 2003 or early 04.  The uppers have the Diemaco stylized D.  This is the USAF gaurd. I will try to get epics of the uppers and some C7.

I asked the boys at Diemaco, now Colt Canada. They said Colt ran out of forging for a M4 contract, so they sent them some. They might also have Diemaco BCG.
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 12:14:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I asked the boys at Diemaco, now Colt Canada. They said Colt ran out of forging for a M4 contract, so they sent them some. They might also have Diemaco BCG.

Wow,  and my unit got some.  I will check the BCG.

Link Posted: 5/26/2012 1:25:13 AM EDT
[#38]
too front heavy
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h315/adlerarmory/BracemanC8.jpg

Soon to be a C8FTHB using an Armalite 1/7 chrome-lined medium contour barrel with replica Simon Sleeve, original Diemaco BUIS and Triad "pitchfork", KAC UK RAS, fiberite stock, etc

Where do you get a replica Simon Sleeve????

tacord.com

I did not see the Simon Sleeve on their website. Do I need to special order directly from them?

Link Posted: 8/20/2012 12:06:11 AM EDT
[#40]
I'll contriboot.

Link Posted: 8/20/2012 8:33:30 AM EDT
[#41]
WOW!  Great C7, C8. and C8SFW.
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 12:03:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I started to build a C7A1 clone then decided to put an American twist on the rifle.
I ended up with this,
http://www.fototime.com/E265F8C94958437/standard.jpg
Magpul furniture in O.D.
1-7" Goverment profile barrel
VLTOR extension tube.
DPMS Heavy carbine buffer which about matches the weight of the factory rifle length buffer, chrome silicone carbine spring.
Not really necessary but I had an extra.
The heavy buffer works perfectly, especially with the 68 grain bullet load I normally shoot in this rifle, function is perfect.
Danial Defense fixed BUIS which is a American made all aluminum version of the Canadian back up sight.
In a pinch it can be used as mounted, eye relief and sight plane are very good, the Canadians had a very good idea here and it is much more durable and user friendly than most of the American made BUIS.
Acog TA31 RCOA4 on a GG&G quik mount in place of the too expensive down here Elcan, the BUIS does NOT show in the scope's objective..
I ue an Armament Dynamics ambi charging handle in place of the clunky Canadian version. It works very well.
Norgon ambi magazine catch, wonderful and recommended accessory.
I can mount rails and a VFG to the rifle's forearm but normally don't. The option are there if I need them and I have several rail sections and a Magpul MOE vertical grip.
I have a U.S. made TRIAD rail assembly around here, it requires removing the front sight tower, slipping on the rail assembly and reinstalling the tower, too much work for such an impractible accessory, I tried shooting the rifle with it mounted, once.
It came off when I got back to the house.
I now have a Colt side mount sling loop installed and normally use a Spec-Ops Master Blaster two point sling on this rifle with the rear of the sling secured at the endplate loop.
My endplate loop was made by Brownells..
This rifle has become my favorite coyote hunting rig, just perfect in that application.

http://swfa.com/Elcan-34x28-Optical-Sight-P5835.aspx

Same price as an ACOG RCO

Edit: also where do we get 4 position car stocks in the US? lots of $40 stock kits out there, I dont trust them...
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 12:25:03 AM EDT
[#43]
That's the M240 and M249 Elcan. It's not the CF issued one.
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 1:55:02 PM EDT
[#44]
I turned my C7 into a C8A1ish. The black plastic knobs broke on the carry handle so I switched to Armalite steel knobs
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 1:53:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
That's the M240 and M249 Elcan. It's not the CF issued one.

It may be the newer m145, but its 3.4x with the 223 rifle reticle..
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 1:28:01 AM EDT
[#46]
I just buy them direct.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 1:29:18 AM EDT
[#47]
I try would to find yourself a Diemaco made DIS. You can find them in the UK or Norway.
Link Posted: 9/3/2012 2:49:19 AM EDT
[#49]
I used a 16" Colt 6721 barrel off a Colt AR-15A3 Tactical Carbine.The barrel is actually the correct dimension right behind the FSB you just have to machine it a little bit.

Here is my sleeve that has already been machined and parkerized.

On the Colt 6721 you have three steps in the barrel. You have to machine back from the first on.

You have to machine some material off the front on the barrel to make room for the sleeve.

Here's the barrel after it has been re-parkerized by Armacoat.

The cool thing is when it was machine the C MP still remains on the barrel.

Here it is again with the sleeve installed.

The finished upper.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 12:21:28 PM EDT
[#50]
OK!, I am ready to build an early C7 clone ( not exact, but close). I don't have a mill to use, so I will only use parts as they are.

I have read everything I can find here on the early C7.

1. C7 upper = A1 with brass deflector.
2. barrel 20" = A2 (1/7)* (changed per information from  MNSwede)
3. flash hider = A2*
4. handguards = A2*
5. pistol grip is = A2*
6. lower = A2*
7. stock= short A2 style*
8. delta ring= A2*
*= I have for the build.

What did I miss or get wrong.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP

Ron
Page / 9
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top