Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 9:39:57 AM EDT
[#1]
They are still there. Only two left. Search for compact fully ajustable reflex sight. Adjustable is misspelled in their title.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 11:31:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
They are still there. Only two left. Search for compact fully ajustable reflex sight. Adjustable is misspelled in their title.

Thanks for all the help Luke. I hope I can make my set up look half as good as yours. I put mine on a Carry Handle. Hopefully I can secure the fiber optic well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 12:40:29 PM EDT
[#3]
This is exactly what I'm planning on doing. Hopefully my fiber optics will be here today.

My wife thinks I'm nuts –– I bought 4 of these things on ebay, have 6 mounts coming, 9 feet of fiber optic........I've always liked screwing around with this kind of stuff.

Messed around with one and a short shotgun fiber optic sight insert that I held in place and went outside. Best thing about this is that the brighter it is outside, the brighter your ring gets. No washing out like regular red dot sights.

Might be fun....

Quoted:
Here is my latest progress with the reflex sight and the fiber optics. The bonding job looks like homemade sin, but it works.  Given the size of the ring, I was able to shoot a 10 round 2" group at 50 yards.  That group size is all I need for our club's Ruger Rimfire style matches.  I'm faster with this sight than I am with my Aimpoint Comp M2 4 moa.  

I had similar problems that Knife_Sniper had with the sight, until I added the fiber optic.  The reticle was not bright enough and did not have enough contrast.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8166/6980587106_0bb933a5fd.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7125/6980585922_e2e0e446ee.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8025/6980584190_382eef5222.jpg

Link Posted: 4/30/2012 1:40:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Can you show a picture of the one you took apart?

I ordered two of these and I have some tritium vials left over from previous night sight projects and was wondering what the original tritium area on the sight looks like. Also maybe soem pictures of exactly you did to get it apart. I have no received mine yet so having to look at your pictures and plan for when mine gets here.

Link Posted: 4/30/2012 3:16:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I also purchased one just for giggles.

The "graticule" as ring sights terms it is hard to pick up. I was going to zero it and use it in a carbine competition coming up but I think it would actually put me at a severe disadvantage over iron sights. The window is too far forward and there simply isn't breathing room to acquire the ring quickly. I wanted it to be retro and cool (which it is) but I also wanted some manner of practicality out of it as well. I thought it would be fun to compete next to the acogs and aimpoints with such a dinosaur but I think it would hurt my chances of scoring in some stages.

It is neat though and if not stressed for time or competition its a great throwback optic for casual shooting and show and tell.  

Sounds like it would NOT work well in a forward mounted pseudo scout location then?
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:21:52 PM EDT
[#6]
How the heck did you get the fiber optic bonded to the sight. It's a PITA  trying to get it right. The rod keeps getting ruined from the hot glue too.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 9:37:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How the heck did you get the fiber optic bonded to the sight. It's a PITA  trying to get it right. The rod keeps getting ruined from the hot glue too.

rfroese, I used Locktite 5 min epoxy (I thought it was 3M a few posts ago) to bond the fiber optic into a coil.  After the epoxy cured, I used the same 5 min epoxy to bond the coil to the base.  I had to hold the coil in place for 20 minuets for the "5 minuet" epoxy to set.  The hot glue gun I have been using is my wife's low temp hot glue gun and low temp glue sticks.  I wanted to use something semi-temporary just in case I did not align the fiber optic with the reticle window.  Rubber cement might work too, but the set time is rather long.

Below is the coil wrapped around a damaged Hensoldt magnifier.  I wrapped the magnifier with electrical tape first, then wrapped the fiber optic.  Electrical tape was used to hold the fiber optic in place.

This is a close up of the coil bonded to the base.  It looks aweful but works for now.  You can also see the huge glob of hot glue holding the fiber optic on the sight.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2012 12:02:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Ok, I see it now. I wonder if maybe my fiber optic is low quality or something. I have to set the rod perfect in line with the little window (or whatever lets light in) to get it to illuminate. I am having a hard time gluing it on there right. I can get it on and it glows up half the sight.
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 12:43:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Sorry, maybe I was a bit confusing with what I meant. I can't seem to get the fiber optic to bond well with the window. I'm starting to think my fiber optic rod is too small. Are you sure you used .040? I bought the .039 and it looks A LOT smaller than yours does in the pictures. I can only light up about half of the circle with my fiber optic.
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 3:30:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Crap.  I don't get paid for a few more days.  Don't suppose one of you guys ordered an extra you'd be willing to sell?
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 9:14:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sorry, maybe I was a bit confusing with what I meant. I can't seem to get the fiber optic to bond well with the window. I'm starting to think my fiber optic rod is too small. Are you sure you used .040? I bought the .039 and it looks A LOT smaller than yours does in the pictures. I can only light up about half of the circle with my fiber optic.

I first tried .029" dia, and it was almost too small.  That's when I ordered the .04" dia fiber optic.  The .04" is big enough for to give room for error with my sight.  Below are the fiber optics I have used.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120851550130?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/010-019-029-FLUORESCENT-FIBER-OPTIC-in-RED-GREEN-ORANGE-12-LONG-NEW-/330725315056?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d00c3d1f0
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Crap.  I don't get paid for a few more days.  Don't suppose one of you guys ordered an extra you'd be willing to sell?

Yeah I could not find anymore online either, bummer.
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 6:56:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I ordered one off eBay also.  Why all he talk about the fiber optic?  Is it not bright enough as is?
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 7:43:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I ordered one off eBay also.  Why all he talk about the fiber optic?  Is it not bright enough as is?

Not really - it's sort of a white on white thing. You can see the ring, but how bright it is depends on how bright the target and surrounding area is. Even then, it's sort of a slightly brighter "frosted" white ring against the target. The green fiber really brightens up the ring and gives it the "easy to see, not found in nature" green color.

I put 2 together this evening. Turned out fairly well. Yes, it takes some time to get the fiber lined up perfectly on the little window, but can be done. I held mine in place with a small piece of double sided mounting tape, and when everything was lined up, I put a drop of 5 minute epoxy on it. Seems to be working well so far.

Ordered a piece of 3mm fiber optic, thinking I could just glue a 3" piece of big fiber on the front and be done with it. Didn't work out that well. It made the ring green, but didn't brighten it up at all. Not enough light collection from 3" I guess.

Link Posted: 5/1/2012 9:43:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really - it's sort of a white on white thing. You can see the ring, but how bright it is depends on how bright the target and surrounding area is. Even then, it's sort of a slightly brighter "frosted" white ring against the target. The green fiber really brightens up the ring and gives it the "easy to see, not found in nature" green color.

I put 2 together this evening. Turned out fairly well. Yes, it takes some time to get the fiber lined up perfectly on the little window, but can be done. I held mine in place with a small piece of double sided mounting tape, and when everything was lined up, I put a drop of 5 minute epoxy on it. Seems to be working well so far.

Ordered a piece of 3mm fiber optic, thinking I could just glue a 3" piece of big fiber on the front and be done with it. Didn't work out that well. It made the ring green, but didn't brighten it up at all. Not enough light collection from 3" I guess.

I need to see some pics of this.  Got a write up?
Link Posted: 5/2/2012 1:29:04 PM EDT
[#16]
FYI: more listed on ebay

ebay reflex sight
Link Posted: 5/2/2012 11:42:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Also ordered 2. I figure bad comes to worst, an LED and a CR2032 battery to run this thing. Thought, would it be possible to drill into the tritium compartment and illuminate it from there to get the German post reticle to light up versus using the regular fiber optic in source? Other option is to have a LED run both the german post and the fiberoptic in to have a switchable donught vs post option. 6-10 days shipping, sigh.
Link Posted: 5/2/2012 11:57:46 PM EDT
[#18]
The hole in the top allows light to get to the open "T" reticle. And the micro hole in front feeds the donut. Yellow going to the top and red to the donut is looking pretty promising right now. I'm still waiting for the acrylic tubing to show up.
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 12:39:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The hole in the top allows light to get to the open "T" reticle. And the micro hole in front feeds the donut. Yellow going to the top and red to the donut is looking pretty promising right now. I'm still waiting for the acrylic tubing to show up.

Acrylic tubing? Where did you get it?
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 12:40:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Gotcha, that actually makes it even easier.

Have you thought about chopping the acog mount so that you can position the sight closer to your eye a-la iron sights? I think at that point the 7mm window will be less of a hinderence, but you also have to give up your BUIS or at least put them in front of the optic.
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 10:16:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Cool little sight.  Ordered a couple myself and got a variety of fibers to try out. So far, the 3mm green seems to be the brightest. Used some of that blue tack stuff for hanging pictures to temporarily hold the fiber on. Tried 1/2" but it was a little dim. Here it is with a 1 inch piece.

Will buildup some type of support for the fiber, and cut a fiber to be the same length as the base. Looks like it has potential.

Here are a couple more pics of the sight...

Link Posted: 5/3/2012 10:30:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Doggone, I've been tossing this kind of idea around for a year now, trying to figure out how to make a nonmagnified rugged red dot sight... Here it is!

I might still play around with the idea tho.
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 1:39:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Woo Hoo....these things are awesome...

At least for $50 worth of parts goes......

Finally got out today and shot the set up a little. Mounted the sight on a TA51 base, but it was a little low. Had a 1/2" riser laying around so I put it under it. Sits a little bit high as it is, but otherwise the front post is completely in the way. Aslo shot it with a bit of black spray paint.

Overcast day and the doughnut still lit up great with about 10" of .039 fiber optic.

Sighted it in at 25 yards. Note: a 360 degree turn (one full turn) moves POI about 10". First 5 shots were on paper, center hits after 15 shots. Didn't seem to move off of zero throughout the shooting.

REALLY like the doughnut reticle (or whatever you call it). Was punching the center of the Army 25 meter zeroing target with relative ease. Center hits at 25 yards with target centered in the doughnut, but all you had to do was move the bottom of the doughnut up to the target center at 10 - 15 yds for center hits. While technically it is a holdover point, being able to simply put the bottom of the doughnut on the target and shoot made it a no-brainer.

My other 2 arrived today, so I might experiment a little with shorter fiber optic pieces and see what happens. Still need to fry to figure out what to do with the fiber - might try to bend it back and attach to the side of the sight itself. Depends on how much light it looses doing it.

Might have to order a couple more just to have........
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 7:59:51 PM EDT
[#24]
And the crowd goes wild!!!.......

Little time with a candle and some 5min epoxy resulted in:

Not only do you not have a fiber sticking out 10" from the sight, but the epoxy helps hold it in place on the window. Plenty bright in sunlight.

Before I get a pile of IMs about bending the fiber, get a candle, hold the fiber about 4 or 5 inches above it and heat it up. It will eventually start to get pliable - bend as necessary. Strongly suggest practicing on a few scrap pieces of fiber first.
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 11:32:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Acrylic tubing? Where did you get it?

This is what I mean............  Flourescent Fiber Acrylic Rods

Even talks about bending the stuff.

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 12:21:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Has anyone found a tritium source?

PUMPED for this project, thanks OP!
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 12:49:53 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Has anyone found a tritium source?

PUMPED for this project, thanks OP!

Bought one from here: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/forumdisplay.php?108-WTS-Other-Personal, hopefully I'll get it in a few days.

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 10:06:10 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm thinking hard about purchasing one of these.  

As I mull over it, a thought:  If one were to scrounge around for a small(1/2" dia or so) clear rod of plastic, solid or hollow, and wrap the fiber optic around it multiple times, you'd have an obscenely bright and compact light gathering source.  Matter of fact, I'm going to dig through my parts bins right now for something of that description.

Ah, another thought!  If you were to do the above, then add aluminum foil on the lower half of the coil(the part not facing upward for gathering light)...I bet it would be insanely efficient.  Hit the outer layer of foil with some flat black so it didn't show...

Hmm...
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 10:32:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

As I mull over it, a thought:  If one were to scrounge around for a small(1/2" dia or so) clear rod of plastic, solid or hollow, and wrap the fiber optic around it multiple times, you'd have an obscenely bright and compact light gathering source.  Matter of fact, I'm going to dig through my parts bins right now for something of that description.

Ah, another thought!  If you were to do the above, then add aluminum foil on the lower half of the coil(the part not facing upward for gathering light)...I bet it would be insanely efficient.  Hit the outer layer of foil with some flat black so it didn't show...

Hmm...

It may actually be too bright.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 10:36:22 AM EDT
[#30]
original listing sold out.

more
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 10:57:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Where are you guys getting the bases for these?

ETA: would one fo these work? compact size
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 11:01:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm...

It may actually be too bright.

My 18" of fiber optic in a coil is too bright in direct sun.  I have to cover part of it with electrical tape.

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 1:27:21 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm considering bundling a bunch of 1mm strands together on one end and attaching that to the light input on the sight, then arranging the other ends flat on the surface in front of the sight.
As this crude illustration shows.

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 3:14:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Where are you guys getting the bases for these?

ETA: would one fo these work? compact size

Yes

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 5:52:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Which mount will I need for the optic to clear the A2 FSB?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm considering bundling a bunch of 1mm strands together on one end and attaching that to the light input on the sight, then arranging the other ends flat on the surface in front of the sight.

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss75/ALOrihuela/FiberOptic.jpg

Have you thought about taking a clear acrylic tube, inserting the fibers, then filling it with clear epoxy?  It would bond them (and the tube) into one giant strand.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 7:08:13 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss75/ALOrihuela/FiberOptic.jpg

Have you thought about taking a clear acrylic tube, inserting the fibers, then filling it with clear epoxy?  It would bond them (and the tube) into one giant strand.

Yep, I plan to use a short piece of clear tubing to bundle the strands on the one end. The rest of the length will be bare and spread out to gather as much light using the shortest length possible.
I'm thing of doing the same on the top, a short piece of clear tubing with a bunch of 1/2 in to 3/4 in 3mm strands inside to gather light and channel it toward the glass.

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm just hoping ebay has one of these still listed on next friday (payday)
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 8:28:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Just ordered one. I have some 40 tubes from a broken bow sight. I'll post results once it's up and running.

Bonzer idea OP.

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 8:29:29 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I'm just hoping ebay has one of these still listed on next friday (payday)

9 left as of five minutes ago...

Link Posted: 5/5/2012 12:44:51 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm glad to see pics of other sights being posted.  I'm curious to see how other members were able to manage their fiber optics.  Does anyone know of a better adhesive or epoxy to use?  Anything that cures or dries clear and without a mess?
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 7:38:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Guys, I'm reading conflicting reports here.  How large is the hole in the front for the fiber optic rod that everyone is trying to find?  Is it 1 mm or 3mm?  Ihavnt received my sight yet, but I'm already starting to look for a fiber light source.

Also, how deep is this hole (insertable length)?
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 9:59:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Guys, I'm reading conflicting reports here.  How large is the hole in the front for the fiber optic rod that everyone is trying to find?  Is it 1 mm or 3mm?  Ihavnt received my sight yet, but I'm already starting to look for a fiber light source.

Not so much a hole, as a window for light entry. Front should work best with 1mm / 0.040 rod in color of your choice.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 10:32:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

See the pictures of the front of the sight on page 3? There's the large window up top, then what looks like a small tiny round mirror below it? The small tiny "mirror" is the reflective doughnut you see. The small space between the two is where you need to place your fiber. Would be nice if there was a hole to put it in, but there isn't - you just put it in front of the window.

Link Posted: 5/5/2012 11:37:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Ok, bare in mind I've not seen one in person yet, but what about taking a small tritium rod and puttying it against that circle?  You would actually be blocking the sunlight from entering, but you would have a constant light source pressed uP against it.  Then the putty would be painted black on the outside to try and blend it in with the rest of the unit.   ???? Thoughts????
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 12:44:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Ok, bare in mind I've not seen one in person yet, but what about taking a small tritium rod and puttying it against that circle?  You would actually be blocking the sunlight from entering, but you would have a constant light source pressed uP against it.  Then the putty would be painted black on the outside to try and blend it in with the rest of the unit.   ???? Thoughts????

I was actually going to get a green tritium disc from over on candelpowerforums.com and try just that.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 2:20:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Based on what I can see with my Tritium gun sights, I don't think the Tritium is going to be bright enough in daylight to really do anything. I had an old Glock tritium front sight laying around that I tried to put up against the glass to see what would happen ––- nothing.

I put a flashlight up to the top hole to see what would happen (the hole on top of the sight). Lit up the night tiime "T" reticle real well, but there was so much light reflecting around inside the glass that you couldn't actually see through it any more - all you saw was the reticle.

I think the fiber is still the way to go. Also, the little shelf in front of the light window on the front is made of delrin or something similar - it does not take many adhesives well. Super glue worked best for me, but you need to take care to keep it away from the fibers as the super glue will corrupt the plastic in the fiber. In essence, I super glued the double sided mounting tape to the shelf, then put the fiber on the mounting tape, then epoxied the fiber to the mounting tape.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 6:02:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

See the pictures of the front of the sight on page 3? There's the large window up top, then what looks like a small tiny round mirror below it? The small tiny "mirror" is the reflective doughnut you see. The small space between the two is where you need to place your fiber. Would be nice if there was a hole to put it in, but there isn't - you just put it in front of the window.

KF

k80 has a good description of what is going on with the sight. The 1mm fiber is fine.  I got a variety pack of fibers, and went with the 3mm . What ever works is good, when messing around with these things. Everyone has their own thoughts on how to set it up. Here's mine....

First shots were off the paper, high at 25 yards. Probably 6 - 8 feet high at 100yards.  Windage was almost dead on. Fired around 100 rounds as far out as 300 yards.

I'll say it again, cool little sight.

Thanks OP for posting about it.  

Link Posted: 5/5/2012 6:52:17 PM EDT
[#49]

Thanks OP for posting about it.  

You're welcome.  It's been fun watching the thread.

I took my M&P 15-22 to the range this morning.  I shot a 5 round, 1.5" to 1.6" group at 50 yards with the little reflex sight.  The ammo was CCI .22LR 40gr Standard Velocity.  I did not think that group was too shabby for no magnification and a doughnut shaped reticle that is 2.5x to 3x times bigger than the circle I was shooting at.  I quit shooting paper after that and started shooting 1/5th scale pig swingers at 50.  Below is my target and rifle again.

Link Posted: 5/5/2012 7:48:53 PM EDT
[#50]
I have some awesome ideas.

Thanks to the OP for this idea
Page / 7
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top