Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/8/2006 4:47:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I load up my mags with either XM193 or this stuff.  I'd bet my life and the life of those I love on it.  ZERO problems, VERY consistent ammo.  

ETA: I only shot at 150 feet, no accuracy testing yet.  AT 150 feet, I got these offhand (standing) and benchrest groups - was shooting high and right all day.... but that happened with both ammos so probably a scope adjustment was necessary....:

Link Posted: 6/13/2006 7:47:06 AM EDT
[#2]
No problems at all so far. Put about 300 rounds downrange the other day. No failures of any kind.
Grouping wasn't bad either.
Rifle RRA 16 in 1:9 twist.

Elvis
Link Posted: 6/14/2006 11:21:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I shot 360 of Lot 7/97 with no problems. Brass was shiny, like new. Groups were consistent but a little bit larger than XM-193 but not enough to cry about.  I also shot 120 of Lot 3/90, performed similar but the brass has a little discolorization aroung the neck but no corrosion. Definately like this ammo for plinking and general range use and I wouldn't count it out for SHTF ammo. The Battle packs are completely sealed (no pinholes) for both lots- I only shot from the packs AIM QC'ed.

Very good value ammo M193 spec ammo.
Link Posted: 6/14/2006 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Shot about 200 rounds from a 20" Chrome lined HBAR, 16" Chrome lined Gov Profile, and a Mini 14. No problems.

I bought 2 cases so far from Aim Surplus. They replaced the ugly stuff from my 1st case with sparkling, new looking ammo and the 2nd case looked even better! Great ammo, IMO and terrific service from AIM.

Scott
Link Posted: 6/14/2006 6:22:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Was able to verify this weekend the lot2 91 and another lot that I have,

Anyways they both functioned great on the 20 inch AR 15, and the 11.5 inch M16 with no issues.

Great Ammo - Rock and Rolled to many rounds without a single problem

Edit for adding further:    Shot this ammo out of another 14.5 AR with ACOG  - The Ammo is great ...Much more Acurate than the SA I shot also.  I prefer this Ammo over the SA which grouped the worst.   This ammo grouped as well as XM 193 and the Southern Ammo I shot surprised me with the accuracy as we do not know how well it was stored.  The Southern Ammo is just as accurate as this ammo as well as the XM.

Link Posted: 6/18/2006 8:44:03 AM EDT
[#6]
just got case of 9-88.  shot one mag full so far.  loaded 2 battle packs last nite.  minor discoloration on maybe 2% out of  690 rds.  most shiney and looks new.  will buy again.
Link Posted: 6/23/2006 4:08:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Bump, just got mine in looks good so far.
Link Posted: 6/23/2006 11:20:00 PM EDT
[#8]
A couple of questions, no comments as I have yet to buy any.  The corrosion mentioned, is it corrosion that will eventually render the ammo unusable?  Or is it just tarnish on the brass?  If you have to break open the battlepack, that kind of negates the use of battlepacks.  I was gonna ask the price, but if it's in the price list I guess I won't need to here.

TS
Link Posted: 6/24/2006 5:43:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Mine had minor corrosion, mostly water spot type, with a few rounds having deeper/rougher patches. Every round (2/3rds of my way thru a case)  has been hot and fired normally. I've been getting 3" groups at 100 yards with my rifle with this ammo and will be buying more. I would rate this as good ammo for storage, after all it's already lasted 15 years or so. BSW
Link Posted: 6/24/2006 6:24:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
 The corrosion mentioned, is it corrosion that will eventually render the ammo unusable?  Or is it just tarnish on the brass?

From the two cases I've ordered, I do not believe it will render the cases unusable.  Except for the seriously rusted cases (lot 1, 1995, see pics posted earlier) I don't think there would be any adverse effect on the functioning on the ammo.  Even that rusted lot went bang with every round.

Personally I would not rely on the battlepacks for storage anyway, especially with the prevalance of insect damage in some of the Guat packs.  I've been ripping open the BPs and stashing in ammo cans.
Link Posted: 6/24/2006 9:56:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/24/2006 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Personally I would not rely on the battlepacks for storage anyway, especially with the prevalance of insect damage in some of the Guat packs.  I've been ripping open the BPs and stashing in ammo cans.

You too huh?

www.kevinholman.com/pics/guns/ammo/ammo1.JPG

I had one crate with 3 BP's that I ran thru the tumbler and several other BP's in 3 of the other crates have some MINOR discoloration and signs of contact with the boxes. Im debating unpacking it all and tumbling it then into ammo cans.  The SAfrican is still and will stay in tubs and BP's but Im not sure about the guat. You guys tumbling it after you take it out of BPs or just leaving it in the boxes or??????
Link Posted: 6/24/2006 8:38:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/24/2006 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/26/2006 8:14:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Just got a case this week.  Took 90 rounds to the range today.

Very clean and nice looking ammo.  Shot well.  Seemed plenty hot and very accurate for milspec ammo.

I would certainly buy more.
Link Posted: 6/26/2006 12:27:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

You too huh?

www.kevinholman.com/pics/guns/ammo/ammo1.JPG

Very nice setup.  I just put in an order from Widener's for another ten .50 ammo cans myself.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2006 6:42:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I shot about 600 rounds of this stuff and not 1 problem.  I noticed it was really hot,  i mixed a mag with guat and wolf 68gr mixed every other round.  Damn i could tell when the guat was firing compaired to the wolf.  I love this stuff.
Link Posted: 6/26/2006 7:22:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Is the Guat that is being shipped lately in better condition than what the earlier shipments were like? I bought one case and broke it out of the battle packs and had some that needed attention with a scotch brite pad to get some of light corrosion off. Has this situation improved or is it still a crap shoot as to the shape this stuff is in? I don't mind the work as the price is good and the stuff is getting good reviews as to performance. Just thought I'd ask.

Semper Fi!
Link Posted: 6/26/2006 9:53:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Am I going to be disappointed with this ammo out of a RRA 20" Varminter A4 upper with 1-8 twist as far as accuracy is concerned, compared to the LC M193 I had shot out of it?  I was getting sub MOA groups @ 100 yds with the Lake City...just wondering.  I'm itching to pull the trigger...
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 1:15:32 AM EDT
[#20]
You're going to have to try it to find out... I get marginally better groups from the Guat
(crate of '93) than LC (case of '03) out of my 16" 1:9... but that does imply that there
are in fact definite differences between the two.

My guess is that if you get sub-MOA out of LC, then you're unlikely to get better groups
out of guat as the specification for M193 itself is 4 MOA at 300...  

I'd advise you not to get it (purely for selfish reasons )
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 3:25:50 AM EDT
[#21]
I bought a case of this stuff at Knob Creek a couple years ago. I used it at a school where I fired 800 rounds through my old SP1 in three days. I was the only student in the class who had ZERO malfunctions throughout the class.
I just bougt two more packs from AIM. Doesn't look quite as nice as that from a few yeas ago. But it is still nice ammo. I had a few rounds in one of the boxes from the first pack that were tarnished. In the other pack, all of the boxes were all crinkled up as if they had been damp. But the ammo looked great.  So I ended up removing all of the ammo from all the cardboard boxes and repacking it in cheap plastic freezer containers from WalMart.
I fired one box last night in my RRA 16" carbine and it seems to shoot fine.
Compared to 25 cents + per box for WMWB and almost 20 cents for Wolf, I feel that this ammo is a comparitive bargain in today's market. It's close to M193 and affordable.

Dave
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 4:38:31 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
You're going to have to try it to find out... I get marginally better groups from the Guat
(crate of '93) than LC (case of '03) out of my 16" 1:9... but that does imply that there
are in fact definite differences between the two.

My guess is that if you get sub-MOA out of LC, then you're unlikely to get better groups
out of guat as the specification for M193 itself is 4 MOA at 300...  

I'd advise you not to get it (purely for selfish reasons )

Well, as long as it's not significantly LESS accurate, then I am satisfied with m193's results with my gun.  I can always get some Black Hills for competing.
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 9:52:08 AM EDT
[#23]
just ordered a 1440 case.  Wish I could afford another...
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 12:26:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Oh yeah, if you're fond of Lake City, the latest AE223 from Wideners are LC '06
My case just came in today... ~$200/1000... The bullet is noticably different from
M193 (shorter) but it's 55 grain and it shoots straight.
Link Posted: 6/29/2006 12:21:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Took some "Lote 4" 1989 Guat to the range today.

Rifle was RRA DEA Entry M4gery.

No problems or malfunctions.  Worked as it should.

Here's what I got at 100 yards, open sights.

Yeah, I ain't no marksman, but I'm happy with this.  Was able to keep all the shots on paper at 200.

John
Link Posted: 6/29/2006 12:54:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/30/2006 6:22:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Well I just called and ordered case #6 of the Guat.  I dont know how much longer this stuff will be around but I hope to order another case next month.
Im thinking soon people will be lamenting not getting enough, I hope not and that the market floods with left over quality 193 ammo but,,,,,,,,
Im not gonna bet on it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2006 8:33:38 AM EDT
[#28]
I love the stuff, extremely pleased with it's performance.
Link Posted: 6/30/2006 1:30:16 PM EDT
[#29]
I received my first 360 rds of this ammo today and they are a bit discolored at the top. Is this normal? I saw the pics of the ammo with the red tint, but my stuff doesn't fit that bill....Can anyone help a newby distinguish the good from the bad?

ThanX,
DaN
Link Posted: 6/30/2006 3:39:35 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I received my first 360 rds of this ammo today and they are a bit discolored at the top. Is this normal? I saw the pics of the ammo with the red tint, but my stuff doesn't fit that bill....Can anyone help a newby distinguish the good from the bad?

ThanX,
DaN

That is normal, annealing of the case is a part of making rifle brass and mil ammo does not get tumbled after it is done so it is discolored. 100% good to go!!!!
Link Posted: 6/30/2006 4:35:27 PM EDT
[#31]
What about spots that look like some type of mold? Also, I noticed that on some of the rounds the bottom ring/edge was rough as if it had been banged up. I went ahead and set them to the good side though. All together, I have 7 really bad looking rounds, and 11 possible out of 360.
Link Posted: 6/30/2006 4:52:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/1/2006 11:41:11 AM EDT
[#33]
 Finally tried out a 30 round mag today in the 2005 SEBR.  MOPP (Minute of pie plate) @ 50 yards offhand.  No malfunctions & while there are a few dark spots, nothing major.  I'm glad I threw on a couple of cases when I stocked up on the S/A .308 from AIM. I shoulda got a couple more cases before "Peak Ammo"....
Link Posted: 7/1/2006 12:14:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Shot my first Guat yesterdsay. All worked well. Will have to get more.

Does anybody know how much AIM has left.
Link Posted: 7/1/2006 1:05:04 PM EDT
[#35]
I hope they have enough to last into the fall. I am very happy with mine but summer driveing costs force me to put ordering more on hold.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2006 7:38:20 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I hope they have enough to last into the fall. I am very happy with mine but summer driveing costs force me to put ordering more on hold.  

I ordered one of my crates about 3 weeks ago and asked and was told there was "about 6 weeks worth left".
When I called to place my order for another Friday 6/30 I was told there is "plenty" left.  What ever that means.  
Im planning on buying one more next month for a total of 7 crates which will put me over the 10K of this stuff.  I figure that will last me for quite some time as plinking/practice/3gun usage without getting into the stockpile of the good stuff or untill something else comes along (I hope).
Link Posted: 7/2/2006 7:27:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Century had this stuff on sale Friday as a one day thing for $229.87 for the 1440 round case.  I missed out.
Link Posted: 7/2/2006 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Another case received.  

Lot 6, 1990.  Looks flawless.  Opened up each battlepack and no problems.

That was my 3rd case, probably order another next month.
Link Posted: 7/2/2006 7:56:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Shot 120 rounds of it today and it shot great. Almost all rounds that I have purchased looked like new, some had small blemishes (cosmetic only). Had one round that didn't fire, nice dent but no BOOM. Chucked it and went on shooting. Seems like very clean burning ammo and very easy to clean rifle afterwards. Accuracy was pretty good for plinking as well ( chewed up an old propane tank at roughly 250 yards). I will continue using this stuff untill I run out of money or until the supply dries up.

Mark
Link Posted: 7/3/2006 9:57:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Well I just got my case of 1440 in.  It's a lot from 1991 and it looks IMMACULATE.  Opened all 4 battle packs and inspected 2 boxes in each.  There is not ONE bit of corrosion, dirt, bug poop...nothing.

Very satisfied!  Looking forward to shooting some of it.  Going by what others have said, the fireball out of the end of my 20" ss bull barrel ought to be interesting with this stuff!

Chalk up one more satisfied customer.  I hope this deal stays around for another month or two, I'll buy a couple more cases.
Link Posted: 7/3/2006 11:58:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Just received today by UPS:

LOT 3 1992

Looks good - no corrosion/dents/pitting etc.

Now to see how it shoots!
Link Posted: 7/6/2006 7:25:11 AM EDT
[#42]
I received two cases (I'll edit in the lot numbers and such when I get home) and it all looked fine on a once over. I'll shoot about 1000 rounds of it next weekend and report back.

ETA: I opened and inspected every round in one crate (Lot 11/88) that looked like it might have issues. The majority were tarnished, some bullets were completely black, but I couldn't find any mechanical problems. I rolled every round (groups of 10) on a piece of glass looking for concentricity and inspecting the crimps and seating depths as I went. I also checked a 20% sample, picking bad and good looking rounds, with my case guage. Every round tested was good for headspace. I'm going to pretty much shoot this whole crate at Bulletfest next weekend (taking other ammo too, in case I have any problems).

The other case (lot 3/92) I really don't plan to check this closely since the one pack AIM opened looked perfect and fresh. This crate I'll hang on to, at least until the next big shoot.

I'll be firing the entire first crate through a RR mg, so hopefully nothing "bad" will happen.... If all goes well, I'll buy a few more crates.
Link Posted: 7/6/2006 7:56:10 AM EDT
[#43]
In case anybody missed it and would be interested.....

I shot some Guat and compared it's accuracy to other ammo.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=479185
Link Posted: 7/6/2006 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Old_Painless,

I missed it.  Thanks for the great comparison.

Nevis

PS - I wish I had that range as my backyard!
Link Posted: 7/7/2006 12:48:59 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Thanks for the review! I've been reading "the box of truth" since it started!
It's my favorite site when it updates :)
Link Posted: 7/7/2006 5:59:16 PM EDT
[#46]
bought one case 3 weeks ago. sold half of it to friends.  just bought 2 more,  so far i had just three boxes with mild corrosion.  with the phantom 5C2, my night fire test for flash suppression was awesome, just a tiny red flash.
Link Posted: 7/10/2006 12:36:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Well I got a chance to fire some of the Guat ammo I received.  Man, that stuff is HOT!  The fireball out the end is significantly larger than other ammo I have used, and it has a much deeper "thud" to it when it fires.

Groups were identical to the Lake City m193 I was shooting earlier in the day.  Accuracy isn't BAD, but it could be better (but it is right on par with all m193 ammo I shot so that may be a moot point).  I was getting good 5 shot groups (1" or so) with my RRA 20" 1-8 but I would usually have a flyer that would throw the group off and make it a 2 - 2.5" group.

Overall, I'm VERY satisfied.  Great price for great ammo.  I guess if I want to punch clover leaves I need to get some sub MOA ammo then.
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 1:44:45 PM EDT
[#48]
2 more cases dropped off by the big brown truck today.  After the one I got last time (lot 1,1995 IIRC) I was sure disappointed with these.  I'm sure they will function just fine but boy do they look nasty. First case I opened was Lot 2,92. Almost half had spots but nothing I am afraid of shooting. The second case was Lot 3, 1990. This is the ugliest case of ammo I have ever bought in my life.  I am going to really have to  hunt for one single round of that case that wasn't ugly. It came in the camo battle pack and I'm sure it'll blast just fine.
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 1:57:45 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
2 more cases dropped off by the big brown truck today.  After the one I got last time (lot 1,1995 IIRC) I was sure disappointed with these.  I'm sure they will function just fine but boy do they look nasty. First case I opened was Lot 2,92. Almost half had spots but nothing I am afraid of shooting. The second case was Lot 3, 1990. This is the ugliest case of ammo I have ever bought in my life.  I am going to really have to  hunt for one single round of that case that wasn't ugly. It came in the camo battle pack and I'm sure it'll blast just fine.

Run it thru the tumbler for a half hour. It will be fine.
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 2:39:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Of my two crates, the camo packs were the ones that looked ugly.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top