BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 1:46:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry, guys, haven't devoted any time to this project lately.  It still stands where it did; completed, but unable to achieve ignition.   I'll get to it, but I had another overdue project gobble up June & July, this one for the kids:

Yes, the entire 4WD, 4-link suspension chassis was scratch built, including axles.  Of course I bought the motor cans, heim joints, tires & wheels, brake calipers, etc.  I may be a bit mad scientist, but I'm not crazy.  Some things aren't worth the effort to build vs. buy.

Anyway, summer months also tend to be more about shooting the guns than building them, as well as camping, wheelin', dirt biking, BBQs, etc.  When cooler weather and shorter days set in, I spend more of my free time in the shop.

Rest assured, this thing will fire.  I just needed a break from it, and have a lot of other things going on.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 9:31:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow. That is probably the coolest child's toy ever. Besides maybe a mini AR15 haha. Amazing work. I'm sure that thing goes places some fullsize jeeps can't.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 12:45:29 PM EDT
[#3]
How do you feel about adopting a 36yo kid? You've got to be the coolest dad ever...
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 3:01:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sorry, guys, haven't devoted any time to this project lately.  It still stands where it did; completed, but unable to achieve ignition.   I'll get to it, but I had another overdue project gobble up June & July, this one for the kids:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/RC/Power%20Wheels/74d9aa8f-0657-4afe-a512-8a4a8a53c3cf_zpsmad4rqu8.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/RC/Power%20Wheels/IMG_20150808_180548689_zps8bgullfp.jpg

Yes, the entire 4WD, 4-link suspension chassis was scratch built, including axles.  Of course I bought the motor cans, heim joints, tires & wheels, brake calipers, etc.  I may be a bit mad scientist, but I'm not crazy.  Some things aren't worth the effort to build vs. buy.

Anyway, summer months also tend to be more about shooting the guns than building them, as well as camping, wheelin', dirt biking, BBQs, etc.  When cooler weather and shorter days set in, I spend more of my free time in the shop.

Rest assured, this thing will fire.  I just needed a break from it, and have a lot of other things going on.
View Quote
Freeking cool Sixtysix! I have no doubt you will get it to fire.

Your 4WD project reminds me of the guy on here who built his kid a "spaceship" where all the lights, switches and all worked and did something...
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 9:31:57 PM EDT
[#5]
You gotta post a video of that thing tearing up the trails.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 10:46:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Bump for any new eyes, and longevity
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 8:14:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I was finally able to make a powerful enough hammer spring to get ignition on the 2nd or 3rd strike (no first strike success yet) by relieving the hammer a little to allow a 3-1/2 coil spring with 0.025" wire instead of 2-1/2 coils with 0.020".  So outside we went for a live fire test.  I did not expect any cycling, with such a stout buffer spring, but I also did not expect the case head failure I got.  It blew both at the relief for the extractor, and a little bit at the feed ramp.  I thought the areas would be small enough, and with .22 LR, then may well be.  But it seems that .17 HM2 is energetic enough to require virtually 100% case support.

On the up side, the recess of my bolt did actually keep the rim in-tact; it was not a total separation, but very clear lines exactly where those two cuts are at the base of the chamber.

I haven't exactly decided how I want to deal with this yet.   At the very least, it means an extractor and feedramp redesign.  I'm undecided at this moment whether I will attempt to re-face this barrel, of make another with the rest of the stock I have from the 22 incher I scored for this purpose.

I'll update again when I have made that decision, although it may be a little bit.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 7:31:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Well that is a bit sporty of your rifle.  

Have you looked at other off the shelf designs to see how they do it?  I know that the 10/22 and 597 don't use a feed ramp in the barrel but instead make the cartridge tip up/feed  integral to the magazine design.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 10:12:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the update Sixtysix, I wish I had some input that would help you out..

I'm sure you'll get it though.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 12:19:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the update.
You'll make it work 100%
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 3:20:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Bump to keep out of archive!
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 3:09:24 PM EDT
[#12]
bump...
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 6:10:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/RC/Power%20Wheels/74d9aa8f-0657-4afe-a512-8a4a8a53c3cf_zpsmad4rqu8.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/RC/Power%20Wheels/IMG_20150808_180548689_zps8bgullfp.jpg

View Quote

Did you have a build thread on this?

Where did you source the tires and wheels?

My kiddo has outgrown this one:

And I was considering trying to fab something for him with a bit more oomph (and non-plastic tires!).
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 8:10:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Unfortunately, guys, no further progress to report at this time.  In fact, we had a little setback when I let a guy handle it, and he managed to get the bolt catch caught under the upper when closing it, and forced it, snapping the paddle off   One of these days I will get it that last few % to finished, just been busy with life.  Heading into an expectedly (and so far proving true) rough winter, my focus lately has been getting everything together for that.  Had to build a steel hard top for the deuce, install a heater & insulation, make some other repairs, and still working on the mount for my 12' plow.  Only so many hours in the week for projects when you have a business to run and 3 kids to raise, ya know?

And, being the bonehead I am, I've taken on yet another project

Did you have a build thread on this?
View Quote

http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=18204

Where did you source the tires and wheels?
View Quote

Surpluscenter.com.  They are 15x5" Kenda Snowblower tires.

Unfortunately, this critter is heavy enough and the tires grippy enough that it cooked even the larger motors I used on 24V with further gear reduction.  I have a pair of MY1020 500W motors in the shop that I've already fitted pinion gears to, but the motor cans are so large that I have to incorporate an idler gear to space them off the axle tube, and they are so long that this gear will have to be inside the diff housings.  Not easy to machine when the housings are attached to the tubes.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 8:21:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the update. Life always trumps hobbies, just let us know when you get another update we will all be waiting. Awesome work BTW!
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 4:42:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Bump.
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 8:08:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Bump fire!
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 5:07:34 PM EDT
[#18]
bump
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I've been subbed to this thread since it started.  Every time I see it bumped I get excited to see something new.  Deeply disappointed, but we can't let it die.  I did see sixtysixduece's team membership expired.  I forget who did it, but I do know it was gifted.  Perhaps we need to start a gofundme
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 12:57:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Every time I see it bumped I get excited to see something new. Deeply disappointed, but we can't let it die
View Quote

Sorry 'bout that

Fall was quite busy with work, and trying to get prepped for an expected ugly winter.  I had to make repairs to my home from the summer weather, and also repair and upgrades to both my Ram Charger and my Deuce, which included building a custom hard top for the deuce, and a custom plow mount for the 12' CDOT plow I scored.  Then enter November, things with family life came to a head, and I'm currently in the process of getting the now-ex's junk out of my house and sorting parenting time with my son and all those other fun details of a split with kids involved.

Additionally, I let a guy handle the little gun, and he carelessly forced the receiver halves together on the bolt release knob, snapping it off  So now I have to redo that as well.

Progress on this has come to a screeching halt, and it pains me as well.  But alas, superfluous fun projects take a back seat to serious life matters.  We'll get back to it, but I don't have an estimated time frame right now.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 4:22:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Sorry 'bout that

Fall was quite busy with work, and trying to get prepped for an expected ugly winter.  I had to make repairs to my home from the summer weather, and also repair and upgrades to both my Ram Charger and my Deuce, which included building a custom hard top for the deuce, and a custom plow mount for the 12' CDOT plow I scored.  Then enter November, things with family life came to a head, and I'm currently in the process of getting the now-ex's junk out of my house and sorting parenting time with my son and all those other fun details of a split with kids involved.

Additionally, I let a guy handle the little gun, and he carelessly forced the receiver halves together on the bolt release knob, snapping it off  So now I have to redo that as well.

Progress on this has come to a screeching halt, and it pains me as well.  But alas, superfluous fun projects take a back seat to serious life matters.  We'll get back to it, but I don't have an estimated time frame right now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Every time I see it bumped I get excited to see something new. Deeply disappointed, but we can't let it die

Sorry 'bout that

Sorry to hear 'bout the now ex. Yeah, get that piece of the pie in order. The rest will come together.

Don't worry, we won't let this thread go into the archives!
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 7:33:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Glad I refound this. Coolest project.

You're gonna have to change that optic out, though. Don't want any of that zero drift
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:33:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Glad I refound this. Coolest project.

You're gonna have to change that optic out, though. Don't want any of that zero drift
View Quote

Just send it to EOTech for a refund. We all wanted a mini T1 anyways

We'll be here OP, take care of life, heck vent here, we'll be your therapists. What else is ARF for.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:51:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Bump.  Because bump, that's why.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 4:51:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Saw this slipping in my subscriptions, thought I would do something about it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 7:19:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Well, we've made some progress.  I set the barrel back and re-cut chamber, faced off the bolt and made a new, longer firing pin.  Took it out and test fired, blew a case.  So I pulled it back apart, inserted a piece of 5/16" carbide cutter shank in the back of the bolt, and drilled the buffer for a piece of 1/4" carbide shank, TIG welded over them to keep them in place.  Took it out and fired 4 times, and though the cases are a little ballooned, no ruptures.  However, I have not yet decided exactly how I want to do the extractor this time, so the cases are coming out of the chamber and getting smashed by the bolt.  Also, while the bolt is coming back far enough to set the hammer, I don't think it's enough to strip a new round, so gotta keep playing with spring.  But we're getting there!
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 7:40:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well, we've made some progress.  I set the barrel back and re-cut chamber, faced off the bolt and made a new, longer firing pin.  Took it out and test fired, blew a case.  So I pulled it back apart, inserted a piece of 5/16" carbide cutter shank in the back of the bolt, and drilled the buffer for a piece of 1/4" carbide shank, TIG welded over them to keep them in place.  Took it out and fired 4 times, and though the cases are a little ballooned, no ruptures.  However, I have not yet decided exactly how I want to do the extractor this time, so the cases are coming out of the chamber and getting smashed by the bolt.  Also, while the bolt is coming back far enough to set the hammer, I don't think it's enough to strip a new round, so gotta keep playing with spring.  But we're getting there!
View Quote

Well thanks for the update
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 8:09:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Glad to hear you're making some progress!  Maybe some more weight than you've already added in the bolt and buffer to slow it down and a lighter spring pressure? That would delay the blowback a bit more I would think.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 8:14:16 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote
Awesome! (well kinda, awesome that you are back at it anyway!)

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 11:38:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Maybe some more weight than you've already added in the bolt and buffer to slow it down and a lighter spring pressure? That would delay the blowback a bit more I would think.
View Quote

It would, but short of remaking the buffer out of pure tungsten or iridium, I've added as much weight as possible to the reciprocating parts.  Having said that, I don't really care if the cases are bulged, so long as they're not rupturing.  After all, I'm not reloading .17 HM2

I did tinker a bit more last night, got some improvement.  I clipped three more coils off the buffer spring and stretched it slightly, and out of a dozen rounds fired, only one got caught by the bolt.  For the last five shots, I had the magazine inserted; it chambered a fresh round for 3 of those.  Of the two failures, one was the result of that fired case not leaving, the other appeared a short stroke, the bolt hanging on a round it was trying to feed and deforming it.

I do, however, still have a hammer spring power problem.  Only once did I get ignition on the first strike, all the rest required a second.  I'm not yet sure how to deal with this, but I'll get it eventually.

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 12:12:00 PM EDT
[#31]
That's still awesome progress and I still want one! lol
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 12:16:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Glad to see you make some progress with this.

Thank you for the update!!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 8:55:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Any update?

Sorry for those who are subbed and got excited seeing the bump.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 2:17:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Any update?

Sorry for those who are subbed and got excited seeing the bump.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/31/2016 5:41:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Hate to say it, but this is starting to sound like the actual problem might be the cartridge itself?
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 4:02:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Any update?
View Quote

Not really.  I've put quite a few more rounds through it, but the hammer spring power issue still isn't resolved.  It's not forgotten about, but I'm not sure how I want to tackle that yet, short of paying a spring manufacturer several hundred dollars (yes, that's what it would cost for the first one, each additional being quite cheap of course)

Hate to say it, but this is starting to sound like the actual problem might be the cartridge itself?
View Quote

Nah.  They feed and eject (even without extractor).  It's the issue with getting ignition that has bee such a hurdle.  Springs don't scale well.  I've remade the thing dozens of times with various diameters of music wire, further relieved the hammer to get an extra coil, but in the end it may well take a custom spring that I lack the equipment and spring making knowledge to build on my own.  As such, this critter has taken a back seat so I could get started on my next build.  Been designing it in my head for months, started drafting it a few weeks ago, and the 6/4 Ti receiver just started to take shape today:

Ya'll are gonna have to take some guesses based on that piece before I tell ya what it's gonna be, though

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 5:35:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Not fair, there's nothing for scale in that picture.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 5:44:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Ya'll are gonna have to take some guesses based on that piece before I tell ya what it's gonna be, though
View Quote

Looks like a break action receiver to me.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 6:47:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Not really.  I've put quite a few more rounds through it, but the hammer spring power issue still isn't resolved.  It's not forgotten about, but I'm not sure how I want to tackle that yet, short of paying a spring manufacturer several hundred dollars (yes, that's what it would cost for the first one, each additional being quite cheap of course)

Nah.  They feed and eject (even without extractor).  It's the issue with getting ignition that has bee such a hurdle.  Springs don't scale well.  I've remade the thing dozens of times with various diameters of music wire, further relieved the hammer to get an extra coil, but in the end it may well take a custom spring that I lack the equipment and spring making knowledge to build on my own.  As such, this critter has taken a back seat so I could get started on my next build.  Been designing it in my head for months, started drafting it a few weeks ago, and the 6/4 Ti receiver just started to take shape today:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_1646_zpsh9d0pjre.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Any update?

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_1646_zpsh9d0pjre.jpg

Milled AK.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 8:42:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, looks like an H&R receiver to me.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 9:49:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Any update?

Over and under in 22LR

For these little guys

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 10:15:26 AM EDT
[#42]
OP. Log out and back in again. Thanks for all the help you give people on this site, and thank you for updating this thread.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 10:50:25 AM EDT
[#43]
OP. Log out and back in again. Thanks for all the help you give people on this site, and thank you for updating this thread.
View Quote

Thank you!

Over and under in 22LR
View Quote

It is an over/under, but this is not a miniature.  Will be .45 Colt & .410 ga. with 10" barrels.  

I've been wanting to make something that is mostly titanium and aluminum, and scored a couple of these barrels awhile back.  They weigh just 6.8 oz each, and the only other steel will be internal parts.   The barrel block and front clamp will also be Ti, the grip frame 7075-T651, and I've got some 4mm carbon fiber for the grip panels.  Finish will be natural.  Kind of a post-modern cross between Derringer and Howda.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:26:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It would, but short of remaking the buffer out of pure tungsten or iridium, I've added as much weight as possible to the reciprocating parts.  Having said that, I don't really care if the cases are bulged, so long as they're not rupturing.  After all, I'm not reloading .17 HM2

I did tinker a bit more last night, got some improvement.  I clipped three more coils off the buffer spring and stretched it slightly, and out of a dozen rounds fired, only one got caught by the bolt.  For the last five shots, I had the magazine inserted; it chambered a fresh round for 3 of those.  Of the two failures, one was the result of that fired case not leaving, the other appeared a short stroke, the bolt hanging on a round it was trying to feed and deforming it.

I do, however, still have a hammer spring power problem.  Only once did I get ignition on the first strike, all the rest required a second.  I'm not yet sure how to deal with this, but I'll get it eventually.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_1625_zpsod9xbpgj.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_1626_zpssyp94590.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Maybe some more weight than you've already added in the bolt and buffer to slow it down and a lighter spring pressure? That would delay the blowback a bit more I would think.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_1625_zpsod9xbpgj.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_1626_zpssyp94590.jpg

I made mention about stretching a spring on here before and people lost their shit.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:42:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Props !
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 6:25:48 PM EDT
[#46]
I made mention about stretching a spring on here before and people lost their shit
View Quote

It depends on what you're trying to do.  Generally speaking, it's a bad idea; it weakens the spring.  In this case, though, that is exactly what I was trying to accomplish.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 9:37:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It depends on what you're trying to do.  Generally speaking, it's a bad idea; it weakens the spring.  In this case, though, that is exactly what I was trying to accomplish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I made mention about stretching a spring on here before and people lost their shit

Stretching a spring will yield the metal, but it also adds preload to the previous normal state. Ideally you can take your current spring and put a scale under it and press it to find the k value and use that to find a new spring.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 11:28:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Just a thought, but you could slow down extraction and maybe not balloon the cases by adding very minor dimples to the chamber.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 7:14:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Did the ATF ever respond? lol
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:40:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 11
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top