Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 11
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 5:51:00 AM EDT
[#1]
This is awesome! At first I thought you were making a novelty AR....But then I realized you are trying to arm the smurfs, to kick Gargamel's ass
Seriously though beautiful project, and I wan't one!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 2:25:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Needs A Bump.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 3:14:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Never say die
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:08:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry for no updates in awhile, guys.  I actually was messing with it the other day, put a few more rounds out, then the hammer (which I hardened but never properly tempered) snapped off, so I gotta remake that before I can continue.  On the bright side, my over/under pistol project did come to fruition, and is on helluva fun toy!  Weighs 46.6 ounces, very pleasant with light to moderate .45 colt loads, but a decent punch to it with heavy loads and 3" .410 shells.  

I'm also nearly done with another build, which will be pretty cool.  An ultralight folding .22 pack rifle:

TBD are the front sight and stock (which will be another length of the 25mm carbon fiber tube with a polymer butt plate).  It fires, and it feeds fine, but I'm having ejection issues that have prevented it being able to go through an entire magazine, so not quite done yet.  

Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:16:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Gonna need more pics of both of those!
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 12:37:07 AM EDT
[#6]
That pack rifle looks awesome. What kind of magazine does it use?
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 1:14:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Gonna need more pics of both of those!
View Quote

How 'bout build threads?

.45 Colt/.410 Pistol

Ultralight .22

That pack rifle looks awesome. What kind of magazine does it use?
View Quote

Thanks!  I decided on Remington 597 mags, as they're very light, and I have tons of them in 10, 22 and 30 round flavors
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 6:33:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Inspirational sir.  Much appreciate the share too.  Well done.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:11:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry for no updates in awhile, guys.  I actually was messing with it the other day, put a few more rounds out, then the hammer (which I hardened but never properly tempered) snapped off, so I gotta remake that before I can continue.  On the bright side, my over/under pistol project did come to fruition, and is on helluva fun toy!  Weighs 46.6 ounces, very pleasant with light to moderate .45 colt loads, but a decent punch to it with heavy loads and 3" .410 shells.  

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_20160428_202421078_zpsggxdzvrf.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_20160428_202448267_HDR_zpsv6rn2uzl.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_20160428_202515233_HDR_zpsqlttkp5h.jpg

I'm also nearly done with another build, which will be pretty cool.  An ultralight folding .22 pack rifle:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_20160517_204948188_HDR_zpsl59tu2hs.jpg

TBD are the front sight and stock (which will be another length of the 25mm carbon fiber tube with a polymer butt plate).  It fires, and it feeds fine, but I'm having ejection issues that have prevented it being able to go through an entire magazine, so not quite done yet.  

View Quote

Loving the pack rifle! Get that baby in production, especially if you can make it take 10/22 mags!
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 12:25:19 PM EDT
[#10]
You have impressive skills!
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:22:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Loving the pack rifle! Get that baby in production, especially if you can make it take 10/22 mags!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_20160428_202421078_zpsggxdzvrf.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_20160428_202448267_HDR_zpsv6rn2uzl.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_20160428_202515233_HDR_zpsqlttkp5h.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_20160517_204948188_HDR_zpsl59tu2hs.jpg

+1000
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#12]
spikes is stealing your idea!!! (just kidding this is a bottle opener and a bump)

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 7:27:55 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

That would be majorly cool as a 80% lower.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 8:20:04 PM EDT
[#14]
spikes is stealing your idea!!! (just kidding this is a bottle opener and a bump)
View Quote

Actually, they did.  Except I hadn't the means to go production with my 1/4 scale ones as bottle openers, so oh well.

My idea was different, though.  The 1/4s I made were smaller than the spikes version, and the plan was to use a "magazine" that popped up with the cap hook so you could wrap a finger around the receiver extension housing.  I never got that far with them, though.  I made a few, gave most away as gifts.  Just have one now, made from D-2 tool steel.  It's a keychain:

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:22:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Actually, they did.  Except I hadn't the means to go production with my 1/4 scale ones as bottle openers, so oh well.

My idea was different, though.  The 1/4s I made were smaller than the spikes version, and the plan was to use a "magazine" that popped up with the cap hook so you could wrap a finger around the receiver extension housing.  I never got that far with them, though.  I made a few, gave most away as gifts.  Just have one now, made from D-2 tool steel.  It's a keychain:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_1701_zps5o4ep0yz.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_1701_zps5o4ep0yz.jpg

Ok.  That's really freaking cool.  

How much?  

Seriously.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:24:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

You're a talented and creative dude for sure. Love reading about your builds man. Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:35:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Hell yeah! I would buy one!

How much?  

Seriously.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell yeah! I would buy one!

How much?  

Seriously.

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 8:43:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'd buy one
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 12:04:45 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I'd buy one
View Quote

Me too.

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 12:33:03 PM EDT
[#20]
When will these be offered for sale? I think you just created a demand! My wife says you could sell these on Etsy for $40 a pop easily.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 1:31:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Turning wheels by hand, he'd be working for free and paying more than half of the overhead.   Get with a small CNC shop thst wants to turn out some small production runs, $40 a pop might cover it.  

For the same reason we're here in the BIY forum and not at the gun counter, the work is done for the love of the work, not because it makes sense economically.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I was comparing those to the Spikes Tactical mini lowers. I am sure you could get at least $50 each.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 8:24:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That is beautiful shut up and take my money beautiful
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 6:57:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Turning wheels by hand, he'd be working for free and paying more than half of the overhead.
View Quote

Pretty much sums it up.  I'd love to offer them to you guys, but they take ~8 hours even if everything goes right.  Factor in tooling costs, I'd be making <$10/hr for my time even if they sold for over $100.  I could probably cut the time in half if I built fixtures & jigs to go production, but consider that I bill $65/hr for automotive and am able to knock out something like ball joints on an F-350 that pay 5 hours in just over 1; I can make more money in one morning wrenching than I could in two weeks making these things 20 hours per day.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 8:51:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Pretty much sums it up.  I'd love to offer them to you guys, but they take ~8 hours even if everything goes right.  Factor in tooling costs, I'd be making <$10/hr for my time even if they sold for over $100.  I could probably cut the time in half if I built fixtures & jigs to go production, but consider that I bill $65/hr for automotive and am able to knock out something like ball joints on an F-350 that pay 5 hours in just over 1; I can make more money in one morning wrenching than I could in two weeks making these things 20 hours per day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Turning wheels by hand, he'd be working for free and paying more than half of the overhead.

WOW!
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 1:48:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Any way to make ones that look similar but with less machining work?
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:34:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Any way to make ones that look similar but with less machining work?
View Quote

Many.  But none that I have the means for! (forging, casting, injection molding, DMLS....)
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 7:36:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Turning wheels by hand, he'd be working for free and paying more than half of the overhead.   Get with a small CNC shop thst wants to turn out some small production runs, $40 a pop might cover it.  

For the same reason we're here in the BIY forum and not at the gun counter, the work is done for the love of the work, not because it makes sense economically.
View Quote

Even a cnc shop is going to be pricy. We'd be about $1k for programming, tooling, fixture get.  Then $125 an hour machine time.  But we're on the really high end of machine shop rates.  
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 10:07:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Sixty Six, you have my respect and admiration. All of your work is beautiful. I popped in to read AR 7.5 thinking someone built a pistol with a 7.5" barrel like I did once. Was I ever pleasantly surprised. I read it from page 1 through 20, nonstop. Hope all is moving forward well in your world. Especially with your kids.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Bump!
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 1:33:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Well, I haven't messed with the mini AR much, but I did find the time to get after that ultralight folding pack rifle.  Some significant changes, namely the addition of a fixed extractor, but it's running now!  Just have to make a couple other minor tweaks, build the sights and buttstock, then cerakote.

Here's a crappy cell phone video in my shop with sand in a bucket.  

Link Posted: 8/10/2016 3:16:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Well, I haven't messed with the mini AR much, but I did find the time to get after that ultralight folding pack rifle.  Some significant changes, namely the addition of a fixed extractor, but it's running now!  Just have to make a couple other minor tweaks, build the sights and buttstock, then cerakote.

Here's a crappy cell phone video in my shop with sand in a bucket.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aNzFLRovNQ
View Quote

YES!
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 11:56:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Got the front sight/barrel band done today, as well as the buttstock

I decided to make the front sight blade pull double duty as the locking latch.  It is spring loaded

The buttstock plate is cut from black ABS, and I bored it to accept a piece of 3/8" steel, which serves to secure it into the carbon fiber tube with a 10-32 screw, and also has a cut for the front sight latch to engage

Now just the rear sight, trigger forward stop, and some more hand finishing to make everything look sharp!

I think this has renewed my motivation to get back after baby AR when it's done.  It's a whole different animal, but I can definitely apply some of the lessons from this build!
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 11:58:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Got the front sight/barrel band done today, as well as the buttstock

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_1721_zpsrmbquby5.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_1720_zpspqrgahuq.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_1717_zpsxp9pfeym.jpg

I decided to make the front sight blade pull double duty as the locking latch.  It is spring loaded

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_1718_zpsaikdcizx.jpg

The buttstock plate is cut from black ABS, and I bored it to accept a piece of 3/8" steel, which serves to secure it into the carbon fiber tube with a 10-32 screw, and also has a cut for the front sight latch to engage

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Machining%20projects/IMG_1719_zpsx81cyhl0.jpg

Now just the rear sight, trigger forward stop, and some more hand finishing to make everything look sharp!

I think this has renewed my motivation to get back after baby AR when it's done.  It's a whole different animal, but I can definitely apply some of the lessons from this build!
View Quote

I've said it before (a few times actually ) but you are one talented dude.

You should almost start a new thread featuring all your builds and projects in that one thread. Show off man you got skills!
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#35]
The pack rifle is pretty sweet!  Great work Sixty!  Do you have a total weight on it?
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 4:02:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Do you have a total weight on it?
View Quote

Yeah, forgot to post that!

38 ounces, 16-3/4" folded, 32-1/8" in firing configuration.  

Gone through quite a few mags now without any trouble, so as soon as I mill it for the rear sight (and make said sight), it's a little more hand finishing and then cerakote.  Probably gonna go with a dark grey to kinda match the carbon fiber, but I'm open to suggestions.  The Ti selector and release lever, as well as aluminum trigger and mag catch, will stay natural.

I think I'm also gonna thread the muzzle 3/8-40 and make an aluminum adapter that runs back to the sight base, which will be threaded 1/2-28.  I just ordered a TBAC rimfire can, wanna use it in this too!
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 12:35:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Changed my mind about threading the barrel, just opted for three 10-32 set screws to hold the 7075 aluminum adapter on.  Haven't tried it with a suppressor yet, but concentric enough that the bullet didn't hit the cone on my long flash can, so we should be good!

Rear sight also done.  In fact, other than cerakote, rifle done! :D

.375" wide, 7075 base, spring loaded, pivots on a 1/16 pin through the receiver.  The aperture is ABS.  They mate with a .250" wide, .050" deep groove, female in the base.  A single 4-40 screw secures the aperture.  I tried to use a laser boresighter to glean an idea of the height, but ended up using most of the .300" slot to zero at 10 yards.  We'll see how it does at 50, but I may well end up making a taller aperture piece.  The good news is that my face isn't squished down as far as I thought it would be!  

No accuracy report yet, but I was able to consistently nail a 4" tall piece of 2x2 at that 10 yard range.   the aperture bore is 3/32", but I may take it down to 1/16", as I can see the entire front sight assembly through it.

There is no actual detent, but the plastic piece is a snug fit in the receiver groove, so it will stay down on it's own against the 0.010" wire spring.

I suppose now I can turn my attention back to little AR!
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 12:41:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Patent this and get us a manufacturing deal with Ruger!

This is cool.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 1:00:12 AM EDT
[#39]
This is cool
View Quote

Thanks!  I like it

Patent this and get us a manufacturing deal with Ruger
View Quote

Fuck Ruger.  I'd sooner give my idea to another maker than sell it to them.  Of course, they'll probably rip me off anyway.  That's their MO.  But civil courts just loves intellectual property theft cases when the plaintiff is a working class individual up against an industry giant!  That's the thing about posting this stuff; yeah, I expose my design, but it's also a poor man's copyright with date stamped pictures and posts on a neutral 3rd party server!
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 1:17:28 PM EDT
[#40]
BUMP
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 3:19:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thanks!  I like it

Fuck Ruger.  I'd sooner give my idea to another maker than sell it to them.  Of course, they'll probably rip me off anyway.  That's their MO.  But civil courts just loves intellectual property theft cases when the plaintiff is a working class individual up against an industry giant!  That's the thing about posting this stuff; yeah, I expose my design, but it's also a poor man's copyright with date stamped pictures and posts on a neutral 3rd party server!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
This is cool

Thanks!  I like it

Patent this and get us a manufacturing deal with Ruger

If they patent it first, you will have no claim. The US went to first to file this year. This means you no longer have to prove you were the first to the idea.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 8:56:48 PM EDT
[#42]
You come up with some awesome stuff
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:46:29 PM EDT
[#43]
BUMP---Was clearing out some subs and saw this.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote

IIRC OP got fed up with GD's stupidity and self-exiled.  

Hope I'm wrong or he's since reconsidered.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:01:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seemed to be the gist of what I read as well.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GD is a fickle beast.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 6:55:24 PM EDT
[#47]
I hope he comes back.  Projects like the ones in this thread are few and far between.  Even more rare than the OP.  Those are the guys we WANT to keep around.  

The best part about the tech forum area, is they have to stay on topic and technical.  Anyone gonna step up in his absence and show us some of your projects?  The pack light 22 is cheap enough and practical enough to have mass appeal.  The AR7.5 has a ton of cool points though.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:51:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Be a shame if the OP abandons his project posts.
OP, if you see this,     Thank You for what you shared, with those of us whom appreciated it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:08:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I hope he comes back.  Projects like the ones in this thread are few and far between.  Even more rare than the OP.  Those are the guys we WANT to keep around.  

The best part about the tech forum area, is they have to stay on topic and technical.  Anyone gonna step up in his absence and show us some of your projects?  The pack light 22 is cheap enough and practical enough to have mass appeal.  The AR7.5 has a ton of cool points though.
View Quote

here's a project to keep us entertained in the mean time.  

This is a totally NON practical build. But it's sexy? So they balance?

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 3:07:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc284/cccpNyC/0915161959_zpsqqpcfmfn.jpg

https://youtu.be/VLpYlxLc1vU

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc284/cccpNyC/0915161959_zpsqqpcfmfn.jpg

https://youtu.be/VLpYlxLc1vU

Hottest bumpsaw ever.
Page / 11
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top