[#2]

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 1:38:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
nice

Wont be in the budget for me but it looks very well made
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 1:58:02 PM EDT
[#4]
VERY cool concept.....1600-1700 dollars is too much for me though...wont be buying.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 2:11:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Atlantic great job. Thanks. A little out of the blue collar price range.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 2:12:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
VERY cool concept.....1600-1700 dollars is too much for me though...wont be buying.
View Quote

This, unfortunately. Looks kind of goofy with the stick mag too.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 2:19:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Cool rifle but way overpriced for a pistol caliber.  Maybe after more people come to market these will creep down but for now the videos are nice to watch :)
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 2:46:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 3:08:06 PM EDT
[#9]
So for the arm brace to fit - are you using a different brace then what's used on the Pap's?
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 3:09:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Cool, but way to expensive for what it is. Two more strikes would be the stick mags and that large open bolt gap. More affordable options like SBR PPS43 in 9mm or AR15 9mm upper. Both a fraction of the price. If anything maybe it will encourage more economical competition down the road. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 3:20:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

so do 9mm ars. i stick with 20 rounders as the look more natural
with the platform. i do own 32 rounders,and they have a place.....

nice job Atlantic! i will be placing the gun on my short list!
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 3:43:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Looks very cool.  I really like the way the barrel extension was done, it looks like a normal 16" barrel.  ETA:  I know 1/2x28 is the common 9mm thread, but could an extension that long break the end of the barrel if it were to be dropped on the muzzle?  The barrel along the threads is kinda thin and that extension is a lot longer than a muzzle brake.

The only aesthetic nit-picky issue I have, is I wish the top cover covered that gap over the chamber between the charging handle and sight trunnion.  Maybe weld a piece of metal to the top cover to cover that gap.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 3:49:51 PM EDT
[#13]
The rifle with the folder looks great.  The price point puts it up there with a lot of other stuff though.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 3:55:46 PM EDT
[#14]
The biggest thing that was bugging me during Mac's video was that the folding stock, which is from Curtis at AK-Builder (along with the pistol rear trunnion), was left in the zinc park that it comes with while the rest of the gun was painted in Gun Kote. For what you're paying that seems like a VERY lazy move. Now, that may have just been with that particular gun and isn't indicative of the rest of them, but it really bugged me to see.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 3:57:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Hmmmm.......$75/100 a mag for MP5 or $20 for colt mags with last round bolt hold open feature.......it's funny to me the guys complaining of the price are also asking for the most expensive option for mags as well........and why? Cause it looks nicer

I think a lot of you like to complain to listen to yourself.

To Atlantic, I will be purchasing one very soon(within next week or 2) and possibly a second......kudos to you and Definitive arms for taking the time, effort, and money to R&D a project like this and bringing it to fruition for us all.  This has been on many peoples want list for YEARS and I am glad we finally got something, great companies listen to the wants of the public and do something......for that I say thank you.

Mac.....what can I say, great video as always.....love your stuff!
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 4:20:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 4:34:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Wish I could afford one. Out of my price range at this point. Will have to settle for an EVO 3.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 4:53:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 4:57:08 PM EDT
[#19]
I love it but that's way too much money for me.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 5:00:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Hmmmm.......$75/100 a mag for MP5 or $20 for colt mags with last round bolt hold open feature.......it's funny to me the guys complaining of the price are also asking for the most expensive option for mags as well........and why? Cause it looks nicer

View Quote

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/MP5-30-Round-Magazine-KCI-4th-Gen-ON-SALE-74p955.htm

$21 and they work perfectly in my MP5. Have about 6 of them in addition to my factory HK mags.

ETA: I should note that I do understand WHY they chose to use Colt mags.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 5:13:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/MP5-30-Round-Magazine-KCI-4th-Gen-ON-SALE-74p955.htm

$21 and they work perfectly in my MP5. Have about 6 of them in addition to my factory HK mags.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm glad your Korean knock off mags work for you.  Love the description, redesigned and improved for better fit and performance......doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies

Again, $75/100 for factory HK mags with no last round bolt hold open? Or factory colt mags $20/25 with last round bolt hold open.

Hmmmm........ Yea I think they made the right decision.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#22]
$1700-1800

Not in this lifetime.Very cool rifle but not worth that much coin.

I would be in on one for @$900-1000
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 5:56:04 PM EDT
[#23]

Gotta say, it looks like $1700 is really steep for what you're getting. That gun looks incomplete with the bolt gap and mis-matched top cover.

Its an interesting option if a collector has to have a 9mm AK, but I'm a little disappointed. I think the price would be more palatable for a more authentic clone or import.

Just my opinion as an AK enthusiast and someone that recently spent big money on a different PCC.

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

agreed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wish it took Suomi mags.....
I think you're the only one.  

agreed

One of the older homebrew 9mm AK concepts, the 2XTM, used Suomi mags.  This was because one of the compatible options was the 72rd Suomi drum mag.

As for this new one, it appears to be well thought out, and very well constructed.  When I first started watching my reaction was "oh my poor wallet."  After some review, I would have been more interested to see a more Vityez-like clone with the shortened receiver and dust cover instead of the set back barrel.  

I collect because I like the background and history of various actual military firearms, not just to own an AK-shaped lead thrower.

I'm sure I'll be deemed a "hater," but that's my take.

Edit:  Just saw the price.  Again, it looks very well made, but $1700 for a non-clone ain't happenin'.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 7:07:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Stop being cheap, you guys have $1200 HK pistols but can't spend $1600 bucks on a rifle?  Come on there was a lot of R&D, T&E you name it expense that went in to the design/manufacture of these new rifles.  These undertakings are filled with risk, these things cost money and this is how companies re-coop their expenses.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 7:18:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Stop being cheap, you guys have $1200 HK pistols but can't spend $1600 bucks on a rifle?  Come on there was a lot of R&D, T&E you name it expense that went in to the design/manufacture of these new rifles.  These undertakings are filled with risk, these things cost money and this is how companies re-coop their expenses.
View Quote

EDIT:

Learned more about the gun, criticism removed - there is more to it than what you see, and hopefully the proper parties address some of the concerns. Price point is what it is, and not inappropriate in the proper context.

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 7:51:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol there's the response I was expecting to price criticism.

It's not about being cheap.  It's about getting something that is worth the price tag.  This is nothing more than a 9mm blowback carbine that is slapped into an AK appearing gun.  I see a few shortcuts they took that make the rifle/pistol pretty unappealing.  I doubt many people that frequent this section of the forum have an insanely priced HK clone.  At least the HK clones are considerably more complicated to manufacture than a blowback 9mm carbine.

I get that making a few custom parts costs money.  I get that there are start up costs they have to recover.  But guess what... that really isn't my problem..lol  As a consumer, I just want the product at a reasonable price, the rest isn't my problem.  They can recover those costs by selling a lot of them at a lower price, or a few at a high price.  It's obvious what direction they went.  It's cool though, that is their right.  That's how the free market goes.  But let's not forget that a free market also involves potential buyers saying "nope, not for that price."

I do find it funny that you are trashing people for "being cheap."  If the consumers don't occasionally push back on high prices.. prices will just keep climbing because the manufacturers are going to keep pushing to see how high they can go until the market won't support the price.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 7:52:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Will this be a limited run? Just saw the ad at Atlantic Firearms. $1,589? If I didn't have other irons in the fire.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 8:01:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not with my hard earned money.

They priced it,i choose not to buy it at their price.Pretty simple.

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 8:46:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Considering the cost of 7.62x39 by the case compared to 9mm, and the cost of this rifle, this is definitely not on my radar.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 8:51:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

There's a bolt carrier.

We heard all about all the research and all the proprietary this and that - in the end we get an SLR 107UR sized package in a pistol caliber, with a bespoke bolt carrier/bolt, and a magwell adapter (that takes a subgun AR magazine from a company that makes AR magazine adapters - was it THAT hard to design?) and that's it.

We also get a bunch of half-assed hacks like the full length receiver, standard dustcover witih a huge gap, a standard FSB with a little piece roll-pinned onto it, etc.

We don't get a more compact package, a more palatable clone, all the engineering we were promised, a hinged dustcover, etc.

It's a gun that makes no sense. It's a Draco/Mini-Draco hybrid in a pistol caliber.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a bolt carrier.

We heard all about all the research and all the proprietary this and that - in the end we get an SLR 107UR sized package in a pistol caliber, with a bespoke bolt carrier/bolt, and a magwell adapter (that takes a subgun AR magazine from a company that makes AR magazine adapters - was it THAT hard to design?) and that's it.

We also get a bunch of half-assed hacks like the full length receiver, standard dustcover witih a huge gap, a standard FSB with a little piece roll-pinned onto it, etc.

We don't get a more compact package, a more palatable clone, all the engineering we were promised, a hinged dustcover, etc.

It's a gun that makes no sense. It's a Draco/Mini-Draco hybrid in a pistol caliber.

Let me ask you ........what have you ever brought to the AK market?   Just curious?

It's easy for most of you to sit behind a computer in a comfy chair and bitch about why something isn't the perfect clone .....You have two great companies who have very solid reputations take a lot of TIME AND MONEY to give you something new, instead of appreciating it you complain......if you don't like the price fine don't buy......that easy, move along.  

Please bring your idea, your creation to the front and explain why it's better.........oh.........that's right, most of you WONT, ever......including me.  So I appreciate what these companies are doing for us.

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 8:56:27 PM EDT
[#32]
As much as I enjoy a debate about the free market, etc, this is a tech forum and it would be a shame for this thread to get locked over nonsense.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 9:00:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Let me ask you ........what have you ever brought to the AK market?   Just curious?

It's easy for most of you to sit behind a computer in a comfy chair and bitch about why something isn't the perfect clone .....You have two great companies who have very solid reputations take a lot of TIME AND MONEY to give you something new, instead of appreciating it you complain......if you don't like the price fine don't buy......that easy, move along.  

Please bring your idea, your creation to the front and explain why it's better.........oh.........that's right, most of you WONT, ever......including me.  So I appreciate what these companies are doing for us.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a bolt carrier.

I think people who aren't interested in the product should absolutely provide feedback as to what turned them off on it.  Some tweaks on the next run could lead to more interested customers and more sales.  To just quietly walk away doesn't help anyone.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 9:10:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a bolt carrier.

I'm not a good cook, but I can still appreciate a good meal or identify a bad one.

They simply cut too many corners for this to be a $1700 gun for most people. Again, I say that as someone who recently spent about $3k setting up a pistol caliber carbine this year.

The main issue I see is the reciever/barrel setback/top cover mismatch. It looks cobbled together. I wasn't expecting a perfect clone, but the gun should at least looked like the pieces belonged together.

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 9:21:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Atlantic Firearms,

I hope you are working on a magazine lock, or has someone else like Prince50 or Raddlock make one for us Californians.

Much appreciated!

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

snip

Not pimping myself - was giving context, but not important
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 9:42:02 PM EDT
[#37]
How does this rifle compare to the actual Russian Vityaz, and the one that was rumored to be coming for sale in the US prior to the sanctions?
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 9:45:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

You think they would have conducted some polls with "regular" gun guys prior to going into prototype phase. Asking what people would be willing to pay and what features they would want on said firearm. $1700 leaves the majority of guns owners out, double what a CZ Evo 3 cost. I don't think that make some of us "cheap". And what happen if in a year or two someone like Poland imports a 9mm version and bangs 'em out for $500-$600 ? In the end it's your money do as you see fit to do with it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 10:17:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

High end, high quality builds that my customers appreciate very much, and more recently a few products that I have designed in partnership with other companies to be launched later this year (non in direct competition with this, so no ulterior motive)- but this thread is not about me, it's about Atlantic's AK and is on a public forum intended for the sharing of opinions and information.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a bolt carrier.

High end, high quality builds that my customers appreciate very much, and more recently a few products that I have designed in partnership with other companies to be launched later this year (non in direct competition with this, so no ulterior motive)- but this thread is not about me, it's about Atlantic's AK and is on a public forum intended for the sharing of opinions and information.

High end builds huh.....I only see member under your screen name, nothing about industry partner.......so do you  go into new product threads and openly bash other businesses products?   Extremely shady.

I am assuming your with KM3 from your avatar.......funny, never heard of you or your high end builds but thanks for making my choice to never purchase from you easy.

Mods......I apologize, and apologize to the OP.  All comments from this point on will be directed strictly towards the said product.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 10:23:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 10:28:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 10:29:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
survivorman, you have a point.

But can we stay on topic please?

I have been close to locking this thread several times, but I really don't want to.
View Quote

Will do and thank you for the warning
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 10:31:35 PM EDT
[#43]
I would be All in for one, IF it was $800 or less. I'm sorry, it's just too pricey for an "AK"..
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 10:38:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:24:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Wish I could afford one. Out of my price range at this point. Will have to settle for an EVO 3.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:25:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Whats the overall length of the pistol and rifle?
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:47:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Even though this isn't want I was hoping it would be I do appreciate Atlantic bringing the 9mm AK to the market.
I've been blessed to have owned many cool AK rifles but every time I come back to the AK side I am reminded why I left to begin with $$$$$$$
    I really miss the days of $399 Bulgy Krink parts kits $199 Mac90's etc I guess this is what getting old does to you.

Anyway this looks like from the pictures to be an excellent quality build.
Personally I don't care if it is a correct clone  etc but if I may offer some constructive criticism. The rifle has a very dis-proportioned look due to the full length receiver.
For me to spend $1700 on a AK I would really have to love it ( I only had $950 into a InRange built bulgy krink)  Like I said above I am glad someone stepped up to the plate to build these but I hope that it gets a chance to evolve.  
      I really do hope these work out and sell fast
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 7:14:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 7:54:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I would be All in for one, IF it was $800 or less. I'm sorry, it's just too pricey for an "AK"..
View Quote

More expensive than a Tavor. Close to a grand out of my budget as well.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 8:12:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Even though this isn't want I was hoping it would be I do appreciate Atlantic bringing the 9mm AK to the market.
I've been blessed to have owned many cool AK rifles but every time I come back to the AK side I am reminded why I left to begin with $$$$$$$
    I really miss the days of $399 Bulgy Krink parts kits $199 Mac90's etc I guess this is what getting old does to you.

Anyway this looks like from the pictures to be an excellent quality build.
Personally I don't care if it is a correct clone  etc but if I may offer some constructive criticism. The rifle has a very dis-proportioned look due to the full length receiver.
For me to spend $1700 on a AK I would really have to love it ( I only had $950 into a InRange built bulgy krink)  Like I said above I am glad someone stepped up to the plate to build these but I hope that it gets a chance to evolve.  
      I really do hope these work out and sell fast
View Quote

Those days are long gone........everything has gone up, did you ever think we would be paying premium prices for 22 and waiting patiently to have it hit our shelves?  I could also complain that not even 10 yrs ago I was paying for gas at $1 a gallon........parts kits were drying up long ago, and everything now involving Russia doesn't help.

I just recently switched back to 9mm cause it's cheaper to shoot(45acp guy here.....prices are to expensive) and this rifle is something I can definately see sitting at the side of my bed for bumps in the night(especially SBRd!!) , it should compliment my vp9 nicely lol.

For the guys at Atlantic and this may be a very stupid question and sorry if it is......aren't uzi mags very similar to colt mags?  Will they work with this rifle as well??
Can you guys also give us a comparison of the OAL and length of your receiver compared to the vityaz......I am curious, thank you.
Page / 7
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top