User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/1/2010 10:59:56 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 11:59:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I will let you know on Friday evening.

What is the best choke for dove?  I have always shot modified - as I have a fixed choke barrel.  Seems to kill them.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm stuck in the office!

ARGH!

Oh well...  it's on come Saturday morning!
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:34:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I will let you know on Friday evening.

What is the best choke for dove?  I have always shot modified - as I have a fixed choke barrel.  Seems to kill them.

If you shoot like the OP says he shoots, cut the barrel off about 12-15" in front of the butt plate.  Otherwise, improved cylinder or modified will do nicely.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:37:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I usually get all excited and forget all about checking which choke i'm running.

Which generally means i either hit a ton of birds, or spend some time cursing my ineptitude.

When i do think to check, usually go for Modified or whatever is a step under.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:44:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Saw easy limits this morning. Problem is I'm south zone dammit
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:09:37 PM EDT
[#6]
gazing longingly out the window of my office in South Austin....

Actually, I'm trying to set up a trip to South Texas in a couple of weeks, but knowing it's bird season here is killing me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:18:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Rained me out so far today.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:31:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Shot 7 this morning in Olney. Not much flying but it was better than work.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:34:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Let you know in 2 1/2 weeks when the season starts here in the south zone.  Seems like I see more dove in the city than I do out in the country the past couple years.  Oh, and even though the season hasn't started, I'm already blaming my shotgun!
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:35:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Shotguns going off around here right now.
I've only seen a few lately. It seems like thousands will be around then 2 days before the first they're gone.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:41:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Shotguns going off around here right now.
I've only seen a few lately. It seems like thousands will be around then 2 days before the first they're gone.

Crazy how that works. They will come flooding back in Nov/Dec just like last year. I really wanted to try a hunt this year too, you have to clean them though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:46:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I really wanted to try a hunt this year too, you have to clean them though.

Do what I do, hunt with a group of people and then give yours to the other guys (usually the owner of wherever we are hunting), and let them clean them.  Trick is knowing when to show up at their place when it's time to eat them!
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:56:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really wanted to try a hunt this year too, you have to clean them though.

Do what I do, hunt with a group of people and then give yours to the other guys (usually the owner of wherever we are hunting), and let them clean them.  Trick is knowing when to show up at their place when it's time to eat them!

I hunt with the owner of Tier 1 ranch gattle and goats, the poster above me itsARanchrifle.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Dove hunting season under way in parts of Frisco
04:51 PM CDT on Wednesday, September 1, 2010
By MAI LYN NGO / The Dallas Morning News

It's open season in Frisco — not on ducks or deer, but doves.

Today marks the opening day of dove hunting in Texas, and that includes areas inside Frisco's city limits.

While most of the city is off-limits, thanks to recent changes in the law, mourning doves nesting in certain swaths of the formerly rural town are taking their chances.

Only shotguns may be used to hunt the birds, and hunting isn't allowed within 1,000 feet of highly populated areas such as schools, hospitals and day cares or within 600 feet of homes.

Frisco police Lt. Jason Jenkins encourages hunters to make sure they're within the proper limits before they begin hunting. Hunters must also get permission from property owners or face trespassing charges.

Jenkins wasn't aware of any injuries resulting from the city's hunt, but residents who feel anyone is being unsafe or the rules of the hunt are not being followed may file complaints with police at 972.292.6010.

The hunt for what is considered a symbol of peace takes place every year.

Sheridan Simmond, 68, has been hunting doves for nearly 30 years, though he has never hunted in Frisco.

"Everybody gets excited about it," he said of dove season.

Simmond, who works at Gunmaster, said some people bring in their shotguns for maintenance to the retail gun store in Plano.

Hunting hours begin a half hour before sunrise until sunset during the season, which lasts until Oct. 24 and begins again over the Christmas holiday.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:04:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Good lord...   subtle innuendo anyone?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:17:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Easy limits in Fannin County today.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:47:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Didn't even notice.

There's enough shooting in the hood, it always sounds the same.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:32:46 PM EDT
[#19]
We went out in Hempstead. My accuracy was off  and only got 9, all in all. I had a blast and should be in the Austin area this weekend shooting the floaters in the area.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 1:27:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Shot 7 this morning in Olney. Not much flying but it was better than work.

You hunt in Olney? Where?

We hooked up with an outfit last year and were out on the SW edge of town near an airport that had all sorts of crop dusters flying around.  Not many dove, but we found a few rattlers last year.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:43:06 AM EDT
[#21]
We all limited out Wednesday evening between 1800 and 1930.  Lots of shooting.  Yet, my stinkin brother only used 36 shells.  He is really good.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:32:59 AM EDT
[#22]
I could have slaughtered about 100 whitewings from my back porch yesterday evening if it wasn't utterly illegal.  I was sitting on the porch watching the boys play in the back yard drinking a brew and the birds were freaking thick in my neighborhood.  I was laughing with my wife about how there were thousands of hunters out there right now wishing they were seeing birds like this.  I'm getting a case of bird fever, but I'm going to be blueballed about it until I can head South.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:34:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Going out tomorrow night. Couple cousins of mine shot limits in about an hour last night just south of Austin on 183.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:09:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It was absolutely DEAD this afternoon in Pflugerville. A few birds here and there, but that's it. My buddy in South Austin by the airport limited out pretty easily.

[ETA] The heat was almost unbearable between 3 and 4 though. Nuts - and it's not getting much better anytime soon.

Limited in about an hour and a half here in Pflugerville yesterday afternoon.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:50:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:11:03 AM EDT
[#26]
I was out with bodark yesterday. Ended up with 11 after dropping 8 in the afternoon. Only fitting I shot my first one-armed dove in Olney...

The field we were at was just north west of town, not even a mile from the DQ. Birds were flying, just high.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:13:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Posted by request...

TRG
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:22:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:33:44 AM EDT
[#29]
We were in Collinsville and saw nothing, maybe it was the weather, the cold front, the storms, but we didn't shoot a single one.  Maybe I will have better luck this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:04:22 AM EDT
[#30]

If he get's him a REAL shotgun he might get more birds.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:24:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:43:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
It was absolutely DEAD this afternoon in Pflugerville. A few birds here and there, but that's it. My buddy in South Austin by the airport limited out pretty easily.

[ETA] The heat was almost unbearable between 3 and 4 though. Nuts - and it's not getting much better anytime soon.

Limited in about an hour and a half here in Pflugerville yesterday afternoon.

I think it was due to the number of people on the lease. They pretty much shot up everything in the morning. How many people were out on your property?

Four, everybody got their limit.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:43:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am still worried that he is gonna shoot his eye out.

TRG
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:51:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That's an expert's gun. I've seen old guys with a single shot .410 and half a box of shells bring home their limit.

It's just like playing golf. Never play golf with a guy who only carries 4 clubs in his bag. He'll beat you every time.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 9:20:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's an expert's gun. I've seen old guys with a single shot .410 and half a box of shells bring home their limit.

It's just like playing golf. Never play golf with a guy who only carries 4 clubs in his bag. He'll beat you every time.

This!

My dad knew a guy years ago that always hunted birds with a .410.  If limit was 15 then he took 15 shells and dad said he would limit almost every time.  He was an awesome shot, he carried the .410 to challenge himself, and he said it was too easy and not fun with a larger gun.

Beware the man with the .410 or the worn out beat up pump shotgun.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 9:34:22 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Box of shells = 25 shells.

Half a box of shells = 12.5 shells = 12 shots.

12 shots hitting the limit of 15 birds with a .410?  You are right - those are experts.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:29:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:57:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Four, everybody got their limit.

Can you shoot me an IM about where the lease is? I've come to the conclusion that this place is way too crowded; there has been nothing flying after opening day the last two seasons I've been on there, and I should have thought about that before paying for this season...

It's not a lease.  It's farm land over on the East side of Pflugerville.  I used to work with the farmers son.  They always have birds out there.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 11:29:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 11:56:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Probably about a mile from where I was at, weird.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 12:25:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Zee bierds are ze scared, of zee Nazis.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 12:25:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 1:30:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Box of shells = 25 shells.

Half a box of shells = 12.5 shells = 12 shots.

12 shots hitting the limit of 15 birds with a .410?  You are right - those are experts.

You've never killed a double with one shot?
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#44]
We were out in Coupland, Tx east of Austin.  The morning hunt was worthless, too much moisture on the ground from the previous day rain.  However, the evening hunt starting about 7pm was great.  almost everybody got their limit.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 2:29:17 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

You've never killed a double with one shot?

No, I haven't.  I have seen it once...  but I am new to dove hunting.  This will be my 3rd year.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:02:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:16:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:11:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Zee bierds are ze scared, of zee Nazis.

So you because you didn't get the limit or because FAL is in da house?

Neither.

Probably because Marshal Zhukov was anything but a Nazi.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:56:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Limited out both days with a single shot .410 near the Austin airport.  Birds are unbelievable over here this year.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:56:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Wayyyy back, when I was a kid, my dad had an older friend that was "The Gun Guy" in our little town.  If you bought a new scope, you took it to Dave to sight in.  He was insulted if you brought him an entire box of ammo...3 - 4 were typically all he used.  He was also deadly with a shotgun.  Being a young kid, my dad got me an old beat up pump 20 for dove and quail, which I dearly loved and still have today.   Dave had this old double 10 gauge that I swear could bring down a B-52 from 10,000 feet.  During a dove hunt, when I was 13 or 14,  I was headed back to the truck for a second box of shells. Dave "warned" me not to shoot over my limit and then laughed...then he tired to give me some pointers on leading the birds.  Being a smart ass teenager, I popped off about there being no way I could miss if I had a cannon like his, and that he should try shooting my little 20.

Well, that was the wrong thing to say.

He marched back to his truck and exchanged is 10 gauge Ack Ack battery for a little Remington .22 auto loader he kept behind the seat.  He may have been picking his shots pretty carefully, but he downed three birds with five shots.  He then handed me the rifle, along with a box of ammo...needless to say, the birds were pretty safe.  

I learned a lot about shooting, hunting, and life from that old man over the next few years.

And I cried a lot at his funeral.
When I heard they were selling all his guns, I offered to buy that old 10 gauge, but couldn't.  Seems it was worth about $10K
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top