Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/18/2020 8:49:43 PM EDT
So far, so good here in rural Clay county.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 9:05:10 PM EDT
[#1]
DAY ONE
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 9:16:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve only been back in MS for a few years, and since living here we have had only two people uninvitedly stop by to say “hello” and they were people that live nearby.  I’m trying to figure out the proper response if someone I’ve never met comes by during this time.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 9:24:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I can count on one hand the number of cars that just stop by in a week (not counting usps, ups, etc). I know all of them.

When someone does show up and I don't know them,  I'm very cautious because you don't just accidentally end up on my driveway.

Driveway alarms and cameras can help.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 2:56:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Doing fine. Hey Miker, I hear a dispatcher at county has been diagnosed with the kungflu. Have you heard anything?
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 6:22:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Doing fine. Hey Miker, I hear a dispatcher at county has been diagnosed with the kungflu. Have you heard anything?
View Quote
Yes. Apparently tested positive this week after being told it was an ear infection or something else last week. Currently quarantined at home.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 8:58:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Lots of groceries & supplies left on shelves; if Wally World doesn't have it, Dolla' Gen'l, Walgreens, & Sav-a-lot do.

Haven't tried Croaker or Vowels.

Take out at McAllisters is cc only, but, dine in still an option.

Two (2) cases of the sky is falling virus at Jackson VA.

They cancelled a test I had scheduled yesterday.

Monday, had to go to a private hospital, to have my Sinus infection treated, bc my VA Dr. is a Quack. In & out, with 2 prescriptions, in about 2 hours.

Only bad experience I've had in 15 years with VA.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 11:33:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I work in health care so no lockdown for me unless I go hot. We have stepped up our precautions requirements, even patients have to wear masks, wash hands, etc.
Personally, I have been a prepper for longer than some of you have been alive. I have enough food/toilet paper for two months easy, enough guns and ammo to defend it, an active well about 200 yards away, seeds and such for the long haul.

My poor 401k though. I have some stocks and they have taken a hit but all mine are rated either buy or hold. Hopefully this blood letting will ease up soon.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 11:23:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Still alive and being told to come to work despite WFH capabilities.  We're also being told if we get sick we have to go home and use PTO.  We are not allowed to mask.  Seems completely legit  

Dispatcher was in DeSoto County, works for City of Hernando.  She compromised I couldn't tell you how many.

Our Kroger didn't have a single package of boneless Chicken breast at all yesterday.  No frozen Pizza.  No Ramen.  No water.  You're limited on Eggs, TP, Hand Sanitizers, cleaners, and drugs.  I want to say any combination of 3.  Some shelves are completely bare.  Produce is well stocked.  Even the more expensive meats are leaving now.  Thankfully I have a freezer and a FoodSaver.

Seeing as how I have to go to work and be around 75 or so other people who aren't being tested, I'm still going to the gym 5x a week too.  How can one be any worse than the other?

Roads to work seem barren in the morning during the 6:30 commute.  Memphis has pretty much shut down everything.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 12:00:16 PM EDT
[#9]
My kid works at the newer Kroger off Horn Lake Rd. He is hating life right now. My company put a national travel ban in place.
I am being tasked with remote support work now, instead of field work. The setup/learning curve is steep.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Ten people or less in most Starkville businesses, that includes workers.  Up to 90 days in jail and $1000 fine for violation.  Resolution is from March 20 to April 19 (30 days).

https://www.starkvilledailynews.com/city-resolution-limits-public-gatherings-restaurant-service-for-days/article_242ebcd0-6b19-11ea-a732-8b82f281e5c2.html
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Ugh.  Bad storms in extreme NE Mississippi.  I was told that the Dollar General in Tishomingo (town) was severely damaged.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 7:54:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Saw it on TV, Dolla' Gen'l collapsed.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 8:55:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Hunkered down with my little girls.

Hubs is still going to work every day.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 8:57:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Every time I'm able to find boneless skinless chicken breast I consider myself lucky.  Were it not for a freezer in the garage and a FoodSaver I'd be completely screwed.
Hernando Kroger has implemented senior hours during their first open hour.  WalMart only does it on Tuesdays.  Finding chicken is getting harder.

Seriously considering going up to Sam's at opening and waiting until they let me in just to get a large pack.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 12:54:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Every time I'm able to find boneless skinless chicken breast I consider myself lucky.  Were it not for a freezer in the garage and a FoodSaver I'd be completely screwed.
Hernando Kroger has implemented senior hours during their first open hour.  WalMart only does it on Tuesdays.  Finding chicken is getting harder.

Seriously considering going up to Sam's at opening and waiting until they let me in just to get a large pack.
View Quote
  We're having much better luck in Monroe County with only 3 cases so far. DeSoto has 36 and a much denser population. Wal-Mart looks like it was looted but the smaller chains (Food Giant and Piggly Wiggly) seem to be weathering the storm better but there are limits on certain items. Certain items are sometimes hard to find but usually not impossible.
 I started upping preps when they quarantined Wuhan. My GF   rolled her eyes. To her credit, She is now fully on board.
 As long as the power stays on, I have plenty of venison, chicken and even a whole turkey from Christmas that we didn't cook.
Plenty of venison FSA on the hoof eating corn out of my feeder. I watched 3 through scope on Sunday.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 2:24:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Tate seems a bit calmer today than last week. Stores are still getting bought out of paper, milk, and bread daily but the restocks seem to be happening every night. People are realizing that products are still flowing in so that helps settle things down.

I get a chuckle out of the hand sanitizer "recipes" going around on social media. Somebody will post a recipe that they saw online, then someone with chemical or medical knowledge chimes in about the alcohol percentage or what additives need to be left out, then they are shouted down by a flock of angry Karens with essential oils and Plexus.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
  We're having much better luck in Monroe County with only 3 cases so far. DeSoto has 36 and a much denser population. Wal-Mart looks like it was looted but the smaller chains (Food Giant and Piggly Wiggly) seem to be weathering the storm better but there are limits on certain items. Certain items are sometimes hard to find but usually not impossible.
 I started upping preps when they quarantined Wuhan. My GF   rolled her eyes. To her credit, She is now fully on board.
 As long as the power stays on, I have plenty of venison, chicken and even a whole turkey from Christmas that we didn't cook.
Plenty of venison FSA on the hoof eating corn out of my feeder. I watched 3 through scope on Sunday.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been prepped for a while but I'm also trying to stick to the macros diet I'm on even while on lockdown.  I have an allotment of fats I'm allowed each day (30-35 grams) and naturally white meat means lower fats.
The gyms being shut down doesn't help much either.  My friends who've had to go to work are now having coworkers test positive so I'm thinking it's only a matter of time before one shows up at my place of work and infects us all.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 11:56:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Some signs here that things may be easing a bit.  A trip to Kroger for weekly goods revealed plenty of eggs, chicken is almost restocked.  Meat counter was about on half full.
Still no TP, no wipes, lacking in hand sanitizer.  They're still rationing milk, eggs, TP, wipes and such.  I was able to find boneless skinless chicken again for the first time in two weeks (didn't have to pay premium price this time for organic).
Still plenty of produce/cheese.

Praying for a dry weekend to hit the grill again.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 1:20:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 1:28:05 PM EDT
[#20]

What does that even mean?  Shut down just the city government offices/services or close ALL businesses?
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What does that even mean?  Shut down just the city government offices/services or close ALL businesses?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

IDK. I work there but its dialysis so I'll be at work either way. Might make lunch problematic.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 9:44:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Doing good in the pine belt.  I return to work at Shelby tomorrow.  All classes have been cancelled so we’re going to have a staring contest I suppose.  I work part for Perry county SO.  Before the beer flu, it would dry up around 11-12.  Now, everything is closing at 6 restaurant and dollar gentral wise. A few gas stations are open 24.

I’m also at Forrest county SO. I get to work security at the cough and fever clinic where they’re doing drive through testing.  Luckily, I’ll be upwind and in my car until I’m needed
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 1:58:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 2:25:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Jackson, MS "shelter in place"

http://kingfish1935.blogspot.com/2020/04/jackson-shutting-it-down-friday.html

i have a request in to see if it covers gun stores.  doesn't look like it does, but if so, i will most likely file something.
View Quote
  My man.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Y'all have fun sheltering in place. Just another day at the office for me.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
The hubs is still working. Me and girls are home.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 9:47:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Doing okay. My manager sent out an email telling us to order PPE equipment from corporate. LOL
They don't have any sanitizer, wipes, gloves, first aid or masks. They are sending me goggles tomorrow.
What a joke. I'm glad I was smart enough to get stuff on my own this past January. I bet the goggles
aren't sealed. They are probably vented.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 1:34:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 6:56:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Also "essential" but my travel has been cut way back, which isn't all bad because I was supposed to be in Mexico last week and next.

Link Posted: 4/3/2020 10:38:31 AM EDT
[#32]
So, is there going to be a big siren that goes off at 5:00? How will I know the Purge...uh.....Shelter in Place has started?

Link Posted: 4/3/2020 6:57:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Been working 6 on/1 off for the past 6 weeks and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Oddly, it has nothing to do with the COVID-19 thing. I've got my "essential personnel" letter tucked over the visor in my car. I'm just hoping to make it through this without getting sequestered. :/
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 7:16:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Set as working from home since Tuesday.  No news yet on when this will stop.  Initially it was set as retu7 to work on 4/13, but that could be extended.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:12:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Anyone NEED anything?
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 1:37:36 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm down to about 2k clays and shells...time to stock back up. On the upside, my backyard has a nice orange tint to it!!!
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Anyone NEED anything?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/7/2020 7:11:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Real life numbers from Memphis.  Updated as of this morning.  

I can only state what I’m looking at for my specific area and with sources I have available to me.  All you’re hearing is deaths.  That doesn’t give the full picture.

2-3% mortality rate.
Only .077 testing positive currently, .066 positives two weeks ago. Approx. 20% hospitalized for it.  The vast majority of those tested don’t come up
Positive.

PN mortality for us (hospital system where I work) last year was 4.75%.  Sepsis was 9.68%.  We are no where near capacity for vents currently.  Different sites are showing different peak times for Shelby county.

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 9:20:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:30:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Real life numbers from Memphis.  Updated as of this morning.  

I can only state what I’m looking at for my specific area and with sources I have available to me.  All you’re hearing is deaths.  That doesn’t give the full picture.

2-3% mortality rate.
Only .077 testing positive currently, .066 positives two weeks ago. Approx. 20% hospitalized for it.  The vast majority of those tested don’t come up
Positive.

PN mortality for us (hospital system where I work) last year was 4.75%.  Sepsis was 9.68%.  We are no where near capacity for vents currently.  Different sites are showing different peak times for Shelby county.

View Quote

Would you venture a guess at the false negative rate of the tests?
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 9:38:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Swag at false positives, too, please.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 12:05:46 PM EDT
[#42]
I literally have no idea on type I or II errors, and that might not be available until long after this is over.  One big hole is that our system isn’t testing for flu.  That potentially means some of these negative cases may be seasonal flu.  The other thing not mentioned by the media is that there are actually A number (not two) of outcomes on a COVID swab.  Just hearing there are people who are asymptotic should alert you to that.  These are statuses like “see report” and “detected”.  Generally on a “see report” I’d expect to see a retest on the same individual.

CDC has recommended testing for flu, and if symptoms are present with a negative flu test, then testing for COVID.

Overall, the virus is cause for caution and concern, but not panic.

ETA—as of yesterday, we had four more positive cases than the day before.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Thanks, & hang in there.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 9:22:35 AM EDT
[#44]
My homey's mother had a stroke the week we started social distancing and isolation and was put in a nursing home. Going downhill fast and there are now two confirmed cases in that nursing home. Left side is paralyzed and right side is rough and some other health issues. She's in her mid 80s. It will be her ass if she gets it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 10:12:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My homey's mother had a stroke the week we started social distancing and isolation and was put in a nursing home. Going downhill fast and there are now two confirmed cases in that nursing home. Left side is paralyzed and right side is rough and some other health issues. She's in her mid 80s. It will be her ass if she gets it.
View Quote

You’re right to be concerned.  She is at risk.
My grandma is 95 and in a hospice facility.  She has no understanding of WTH is going on or why we can’t visit.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 12:47:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Ugh.  Severe weather on Easter.  That’s the last thing we need right now.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 1:23:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Moderate wind & rain should help with pollen allergies.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 8:10:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You're right to be concerned.  She is at risk.
My grandma is 95 and in a hospice facility.  She has no understanding of WTH is going on or why we can't visit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My grandma is 95 and in a hospice facility.  She has no understanding of WTH is going on or why we can't visit.

Five confirmed cases on her hallway alone now. Its now a race between the stroke and the Rona. She has become unresponsive and move to hospice. Either way it won't be long.  He hasn't seen her in person since mid March due to quarantine at the nursing home.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 12:59:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Five confirmed cases on her hallway alone now. Its now a race between the stroke and the Rona. She has become unresponsive and move to hospice. Either way it won't be long.  He hasn't seen her in person since mid March due to quarantine at the nursing home.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My grandma won’t be going anytime soon even though she is in hospice.  
Prayers for yours.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 4:07:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Updated numbers as of 3pm today.

.099 positive rate for testing.

Of those positive, 21% admitted as IP or OBS.  Still .03 (3%) death rate of those positive.  Vents not completely utilized, Max ICU not near, they said today they’re expecting peak in May or June.

They should start soon showing us the # of patients in active treatment, Recovering at home or fully recovered.  That might shed some more light on the full extent.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top