Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 5:42:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This sounds like a winner. I like clams
View Quote
If you go to Bob's for fried clams or scallops (the half and half combo is my go-to!) go next door to the Kittery Trading Post and browse 300 guns in stock and on display.  Prices are so-so but you can occasionally find a great deal and there are some gems used as well.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 10:54:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

This sounds like a winner. I like clams
View Quote
He's right. Bob's is indeed a winner!
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 10:55:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If you go to Bob's for fried clams or scallops (the half and half combo is my go-to!) go next door to the Kittery Trading Post and browse 300 guns in stock and on display.  Prices are so-so but you can occasionally find a great deal and there are some gems used as well.
View Quote
More likely >1000 guns on display at KTP.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 8:48:55 AM EDT
[#4]
That sounds like a little bit of fun.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you go to KTP, give yourself plenty of time to wander around and see everything. And you can walk across the parking lot to Bob's.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 6:48:06 PM EDT
[#6]
If you're a history buff there's numerous things to see in this area and in Boston, with more to do and see there. There are a number of coastal WWII forts in the area (although access may be an issue depending on if we get snow between now and then). If you've never seen a sub go see the Albacore (an unarmed "research" sub on display in Portsmouth). Numerous good seafood places in the area. KTP is good for window shopping but their prices are typically high I think. Manchester firing line is a good indoor range and they have full auto rentals. It's the "off" season for outdoor activities unless we get snow, which traditionally we don't have a lot of before Christmas.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:58:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

More likely >1000 guns on display at KTP.
View Quote
I misspoke, 3000 in stock.  Easily the better part of a thousand on display.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:42:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Been shopping at KTP since the early 80's when they were smaller. KTP is very impressive. Not just guns, but overall excellent quality sporting gear and clothing. Great place to take you're wife/ gf. If you like homemade old fashioned fudge, your also in for a treat. KTP has the "fudge stand" that is hard to pass by, LOL
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:19:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Looking forward to this.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 1:08:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Looking forward to this.
View Quote
Should be plenty of snow for you

We got about 5 or 6" the other day, and another 3-5" coming tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:58:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Should be plenty of snow for you

We got about 5 or 6" the other day, and another 3-5" coming tomorrow.
View Quote
I'm already sick of the snow......
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 6:31:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm already sick of the snow......
View Quote
I can't wait to get the snowmobiles out.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:53:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Too much snow and cold is going to shut down the second half of duck season!
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 3:32:51 PM EDT
[#14]
It's so damn crunchy that deer season has sucked too. On one hand its awesome to be able to see tracks and determine easily how old they are but on the other hand it is so loud to walk around.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:27:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I stopped hunting years ago. My absolute favorite time to hunt was during a light mist/rain. you could sneak up on anything then.

It got to be too much. The fees for all the licenses/stamps got ridiculous, the rules for what you can and can't do and where you can and can't hunt and when got to be stupid. "oh you want to do that? well that costs this much more. Oh you want that too? cough up another $xx, oh then you need the federal stamps". God forbid you meet up with a fun and games officer with their "pick up that can citizen" attitude.

Hunting and fishing was a way of life that I was born into.

They made it so it's a lot cheaper and less hassle to just go get a steak at the market. It's sad really. I've spent a lot of my younger days in a duck blind or just walking the woods (my first deer at 16 years old was on the NH trophy buck list @ 214 3/4#) with many of my uncles and friends. None of them hunt or fish anymore.

On a side note, I once had mounts of the "trophy" 214.75 pound 7 point,  and a 177 pound 11 point (very non typical) that my stupid ex wife sold at a yard sale for $.50 each (one of the thousand reasons she's my ex wife) that I wish I still had.

I believe in conservation 100% and have no problem with paying a reasonable fee to hunt and fish and I've never broken any game laws. NH Fun and Games are nickel and diming their way out of business (although that will never happen because they'll come up with some other funding scheme) and their attitude is shit. Unfortunately,  they lost my respect a long time ago and they've taken the joy out of it.

Sorry to derail the thread with my rant. I'll STFU now
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 2:38:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I am mixed on snow. I lived where it snowed more before moving here. but not your level. I also understand the hunting issues. Georgia keeps raising the price of a license and wonders why the number of hunters is in decline. I am sure it is only a small part but it is a part of the problem. We do get to kill 12 deer (2 bucks and 10 does) a year with really strange doe rules in many areas.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:37:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Time is close. Looking forward to some fun.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 3:04:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Time is close. Looking forward to some fun.
View Quote
Good timing. We're having a heat wave. It's currently 34.3F !!!
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 1:53:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Good timing. We're having a heat wave. It's currently 34.3F !!!
View Quote
good thing he wasn't up here last week....for -15F lol
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 11:28:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

good thing he wasn't up here last week....for -15F lol
View Quote
True dat. And while the wind chill today puts the "feels like" temperature into the teens and single digits, its going up to the low 40s later in the week.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 2:06:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Any snow up there ? If not how far away is it?
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 2:19:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Any snow up there ? If not how far away is it?
View Quote
Not sure about up north but seacoast area doesn't have anything to speak of. Mostly leftover from a few weeks ago and has turned to ice now.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 3:59:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Over here on the west side we have 4 or 5 inches of leftovers that are now hard as a rock plus an inch of powder from yesterday. The mountains ought to have tons of snow though. You can go to this link to see current snow coverage. Snow Maps
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:11:25 PM EDT
[#24]
If you are into NFA stuff and history check out Shooters Outpost in Hooksett. The owner just finished his multimillion dollar MG museum attached to the shop. You can even get a bite to eat at the Copper Jacket Cafe that’s also attached to the shop.

Have a good time in NH.

Thurman
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:52:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If you are into NFA stuff and history check out Shooters Outpost in Hooksett. The owner just finished his multimillion dollar MG museum attached to the shop. You can even get a bite to eat at the Copper Jacket Cafe that’s also attached to the shop.

Have a good time in NH.

Thurman
View Quote
I am down to 1 machine gun. I still look and have all sorts of other stuff
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:31:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Not really any snow on the seacoast
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 1:49:23 AM EDT
[#27]
we have a good bit, but I doubt he will make it up this far north
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 4:19:26 PM EDT
[#28]
It is cold.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 11:52:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It is cold.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 1:00:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is cold.
Cold and heat are relative.

Enjoy your stay.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 10:00:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Now it is raining. We managed to go to KTP last night. I spent time digging through the MISC. gun parts stuff and bought myself a few clothes things. It is nice to have glove options VS down south where you are lucky if they have a pair in your size.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 10:36:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Manchester Firing Line has an indoor range with rentals including full auto. IIRC they give a .mil discount too. Crappy weather day so you'll have to find indoor activities.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 1:26:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It is cold.
View Quote
Its in the 40's gonna be 50's   Be here when its in the single digits and negatives..

sigh,  southerners LOL
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 1:42:33 PM EDT
[#34]
I am at Gilleys having a burger. The ladies are heading to the British place.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 1:43:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Its in the 40's gonna be 50's   Be here when its in the single digits and negatives..

sigh,  southerners LOL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is cold.

sigh,  southerners LOL
Today is warmer than yesterday by a good bit.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 8:03:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Bob's was really good.  We are at the hockey game
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 1:27:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Bob's was really good.  We are at the hockey game
View Quote
Monarchs?  Bruins?
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 8:39:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Monarchs?  Bruins?
View Quote
Monarchs. Had fun
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 2:58:31 PM EDT
[#39]
I had fun. It is too cold. I went to Bobs on the way to the airport and had one more meal of clam strips. They were good. I spent too much at KTP in the used gun parts and gifts for others. We hit up a few of the meal suggestions and they were solid. I did not eat bar b que while up here.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Glad you had a good visit and got to enjoy some northern hospitality.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 8:33:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
I was called out as being from the south on 3 occasions since I was polite to people. I was surprised a little.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 12:02:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I was called out as being from the south on 3 occasions since I was polite to people. I was surprised a little.
View Quote
no worries  we like to give people crap when we like them.. Its when we turn cold and quiet, Then you know to watch your ass.

Glad you had a good time, spent cash, now get out go home earn more come back and see us and spend more $ up here   LOL

just teasing,  come see us in the summer and fall !
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 8:57:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

no worries  we like to give people crap when we like them.. Its when we turn cold and quiet, Then you know to watch your ass.

Glad you had a good time, spent cash, now get out go home earn more come back and see us and spend more $ up here   LOL

just teasing,  come see us in the summer and fall !
View Quote
I want to go up Mt. Washington next time.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 11:54:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I want to go up Mt. Washington next time.
View Quote
You definitely should.  It’s like visiting a different planet!
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 12:34:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You definitely should.  It's like visiting a different planet!
View Quote
Yes, an ice-cold one any time of year!
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 10:14:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You definitely should.  It’s like visiting a different planet!
View Quote
I know. The local visitors guy said the winter shuttle was not worth the trip for the cost involved.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 9:14:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I know. The local visitors guy said the winter shuttle was not worth the trip for the cost involved.
View Quote
I've been up the the Mt Washington summit 4 times, it's a hit or miss type deal, all dependent on the weather conditions at the summit. It's not cheap, I believe the cost for an auto is $30. If you can nail a sunny calm day you are in for a breathtaking view all the way to Canada. If the weather is poor, don't waste your money. One of my trips it was June, sunny and 85F at the base, and windy, mist and 40's at the summit . Conditions were so poor the rangers would not let motorcycles up to the summit. Glad you enjoyed your stay in NH.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 2:06:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#49]
It was pretty breezy up at the summit yesterday. I think the WMUR weather said gusts to 113 mph?
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Her daughter is about to discover real cold from what I understand. I bought her a nice snow and ice cleaner for her car based on a GD discussion. She likes it.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top