Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/21/2006 11:02:25 AM EDT
Here we go again. A few of us are looking for a spot to kill some hogs. Anyone have a place thats crawling with hogs and doesnt cost anything?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:59:46 AM EDT
[#1]
ooooo.... I guess I'd better clean my .22!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:34:39 PM EDT
[#2]
A .22 would just piss off the hogs around here and maybe get you hurt, unless of course you have dogs, in which case nevermind.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:18:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:44:30 PM EDT
[#4]
You sayin' this 3 inch barrelled Walther P22 bad-boy ain't enough to knock down piglet?

Actually, from all I've read about hog hunting and from stories I've heard from friends who hunt hogs, I'd be leary of hunting hogs with my .30-06, much less my .357 Magnum.

I mean, I can run... but I can't run real fast.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:57:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I like a 12 gauge pump with no.2 buck, but thats just me and I don't use dogs. I also try to stay near some trees if possible. They seem to come and go around here, I think it depends on the amount of rainfall. Last year, the guy behind my property killed 67 and trapped 14 more. P.S., they are hell on a cornfield.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Mark talk to Doug he knows whats up, .556 seems to be enough with a good sidearm. He has a place already in mind.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:00:50 PM EDT
[#7]
My wife is telling me down in Cochran and Eastman GA they don't use guns only handcuffs and dogs. They live catch them, pen them up, then have the BBQ. Oh, BTW these folks ain't got all their teeth either. They go huntin' in tennis shoes, cuttoff jeans, and no shirts.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:48:04 PM EDT
[#8]
We are having some hog issues at place in west Fannin near the Cohuttas.  Mountains with spring valley bottoms, creek banks getting torn to hell lately.  
Last year it was a buzz creating phenom with my co-owners (the inlaws). No, no, don't bring guns up to kill them.......they won't stick aorund
I had to laugh when rooting got so bad last week they called me asking what we should do.  "Somebody" told them it was illegal to kill them in Georgia.  Right....
I showed them the regs where you can kill them anytime day or night on your own property 365.
The next day my anti-gun bro-in-law asked me if i didn't mind maybe sometime if it wasn't too much trouble or anything perhaps spend some time up there and maybe if i had one handy or two even please consider bringing some of my guns up there and killing every one of the mother-f'ers.   This is the same one who didn't want me to leave an old air rifle in the cabin.  
Some hogs in the valley and some vandalism up the road and now they want me to bring an arsenal up there. Nice to be needed, huh?

I think i'll visit this weekend when they are "not".  Never hog hunted, reading up it looks like something I might want to try.  This website form a hunter in texas has a ton of info onk oink bang thud silence

Anyone with mtn hog experience have any guidance other than the keep a tree close thing?  I have seen a couple of thickets where they have obviously spent some time coming and going, was going tol ook a little closer during day (with 44mag on hip) and see if i could catch them moving at dawn or dusk with scoped rifle.
I might be able to convince inlaws to hire out a "professional" if anyone with experience is interested
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:56:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Professionals eh? You need the " Anti Hog Team " ... from what Ive heard they escaped to the LA underground, soldiers of furtune that help the innocent in need of ... help .. if you can find them, they are the men you need. John H. "Hannibal" Smith will be your contact.

that was a good show
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:57:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I just killed a nice hog last night in Douglas County. We've been hunting them here for several months.  They are heavily populated along the Sweetwater Creek Basin. Very well kept secret around here.

I shot the one last night with a 44 mag lever rifle. Put a 300 grain CorBon Penetrator between his eyes about 30 feet away. He hit the ground with a blood curdling squeal and a few snorts and was dead in about 2 seconds. It was a little boar about 175 pounds. There were about 10 others with him. Two looked like they would have easily gone 300-350. We've killed several in the past month. The last two I shot were taken with my 10.5" AR. 77 grain OTM to the head drops right where they stand. The big trick to killing them. Have a gun with a NV compatible sight and a set of NODS. Lasers work very well too. They flock out after dark in large numbers. The bright spotlight trick is very difficult as they are very sensitive to white light and haul ass the minute you turn it on. But it can be done.  

As for being close to trees......I'd say you're alright if your quick with your sidearm.But it wouldn't hurt if ya got a little brother in ya either if ya know what I mean. Headshots drop these things fast. We got rushed about a month ago when a female was with her piglets. She charged from about 25 yards. Now there are orphan piglets running around. My partner drew lightning fast and put two 230 grain slugs in her head. She had so much forward momentum,that she rolled to a stop five feet in fron of us. I'm glad he was my wingman because I really didn't even know she was coming until I heard the shots and looked to see him wad her up. Close call.

One more thing on guns and ammo. The 17HMR worked very well to take one down. A well placed shot behind the ear and it went down in about 10-15 yards. I will tell you that if you shoot them in their vitals with much less than a magnum rifle,there is a very solid chance you will lose it or track it for several hundred yards. Always go for the head when possible.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:09:07 PM EDT
[#11]
So that seems to be a well hog populated area, are you using NV on your weapon?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:12:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't discount the tree nearby thing, especially if you plan on going in a couple of thickets where you think they might be by yourself armed with a 6 shot 44mag on your hip. I don't have any mtn. experience, but I have hunted them in the swamps and river bottoms of S.E. Ga. and I have heard of several of them charging at once if they feel threatened of just get pissed. Oh, and some of them regularly weigh in the 300-400lb. range. Go get em!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:15:18 PM EDT
[#13]
No.......PVS 7 goggles and an Eotech 552 and soon to be an ITAL Laser. Just bought one. The ultimate piggy gittin setup.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I have two nv options working. One scope, one set nv goggle.  I'll have to re-read regs not sure if NV scope legal?  

My friends who have hunted hogs have been down in Ocmulgee area below macon i think- low and spread out.  they have all been charged at least once. where i am are fairly narrow valley bottoms mostly pasture with clumps of trees in bottoms, hardwood mix up the mountains.  Thickets are off edge of pasture/open areas at edge of woods or in clumps in creek bottom.  Lots of signs in both areas- no rooting up near woods just tracks in pretty good numbers last time i was up there.
I carry at least the 44 whenever i am in the woods regardless- i actually treed a bear cub one morning when camping and me, my son and dog all lived to tell the story.  At the time i had a Glock 26 that would have pissed momma off had she been around.  I also saw Deliverence.....
There is a conveninetly located streetlight up the hill at my neighbor's barn that casts pretty good light into the two nearest root areas.  In winter once your eyes adjust you can pick up shadows and moving animals pretty well from it.  Barring NV aquisition (other than my old gen I monocular) i was going to wait on hill near my cabin with AR varmint build.  

Ground is soft around valley bottom, they have only rooted along the small creek and in some soggy spring areas.  
Hell, i'll be happy to walk around my property with 2 or 3 weapons playing pig-army even if i don't get any.  i figured mossberg w/buckshot and 44mag would do until i went up the tree.
Seriuosly if problem continues to get worse i am pretty sure neighbor would grant access- he might even pay per hog and let you keep the bacon. Once hogs started punching holes in pasture ( 2 longhoorn steers and several horses) they got all concerned.  

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:46:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm pretty sure that NV is legal for hogs now. From what the last warden told me......any means necessary to take them except for Dogs when using firearms. When run with dogs....only spears,knives and nets could be used. Firearms could not even be present.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:49:34 PM EDT
[#16]
only thing i saw "prohibited" in regs was lights powered by greater than 6 v battery when hunting as in shooting with guns.
damn you guys answer fast
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:51:30 PM EDT
[#17]
00bullitt do you live in douglas / sweetwater creek area?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:53:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm pretty sure that the 6v rule only applies to listed predators hunted at night. Hogs are out from that classification as they are now considered nuisance. I'm 99% sure anything goes. No limit on light. I carry a 12volt 10,000,000,000 candlepower spot with me sometimes. I actually had it with me last time the warden stopped to say hi and not a word was mentioned of it. He stops in anytime he sees the cable down to shoot the shit and make sure there are no trespassers dumping their trash. Hes cool.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:54:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I live in Winston/South Douglas. About 15 minutes from where we hunt them.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:01:55 PM EDT
[#20]
wife just told me she booked us for function saturday night so no hog this weekend for me.  I live in floyd, hogs in fannin.  oh well maybe the next weekend
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:23:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah you fellas answer fast!  So there are certainly some places where its not 300 bucks to shoot a hog!.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:31:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:39:38 PM EDT
[#23]
If there's room for one more experinced pig shooter, I'd be up for it. In the past, I've used 41's and 45's, but just the fun of being there and being a part would be great
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:29:44 AM EDT
[#24]
+1

Being an inexperienced hog shooter, I'd be happy to play any part that I could. Hold a light, carry the gear, general go-fer, whatever. I'd love to experience hog hunting first-hand.

A guy I used to shoot with told me that, when they trapped hogs (they had a thing about catching them live) that whenever he was charged by one he would grab a sapling and shake the hell out of it. According to him, it generally scared them off for a minute or two which gave you time to climb a tree.

I don't know how much I would trust that technique if a 300+ pound hog was on my ass.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:30:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:36:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Is NV equipment a necessity when hog hunting?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:57:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Book, your gonna give him the wrong idea - no you dont need it, in fact from what understand most folks dont use it but thats just because of expense im sure.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:59:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:01:02 AM EDT
[#29]

I'm pretty sure that the 6v rule only applies to listed predators hunted at night. Hogs are out from that classification as they are now considered nuisance. I'm 99% sure anything goes. No limit on light. I carry a 12volt 10,000,000,000 candlepower spot with me sometimes. I actually had it with me last time the warden stopped to say hi and not a word was mentioned of it. He stops in anytime he sees the cable down to shoot the shit and make sure there are no trespassers dumping their trash. Hes cool.

Read the hunting Reg, guys.
No light over 6Volts,  no bait except by special permit. You can hunt with dogs on private property. Some other rules apply on WMA and Forest Service.

You can kill em, catch em, you just can't transport them live. The Dept of Ag will light you up for that. They are still considered domestic animals, but the wild ones are feral (domestic living in a wild state). Just remember that just because a Ranger says nothing about an item doesn't always mean that it is legal. Sometimes things are intentionally overlooked if it doesn't hurt anything. But what do I know
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:16:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:36:47 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm up for a little piggie huntin'.  If you need some help or want some company let me know.  I've got a 45-70 lever gun that's itchin' for some action.  I also wouldn't mind trying out my AK-74.  I'd like to see what that round will really do.

VSP
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:38:48 AM EDT
[#32]
If you're reading the printed regs......they have been amended to say anything goes for hogs. I will find the info and post it to clear things up.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:44:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:47:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Alrighty then. I guess I'm breakin the law.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:49:59 AM EDT
[#35]
We called the DNR when the hogs were giving us a problem and they told us to kill them any way we could, as many as we could, with any weapon we could, for as long as we could. I got the impression that they did not like wild hogs.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:59:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Well if you all know anyone in SE GA with a hawg problem let me know!

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Thats basically what I was told. Now I'm trying to find the info.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:46:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Last regs I saw stated that if you owned 3 or more acres in commercial production which were experiencing hog damage, you could get a special permit to 1. use more than a 6v light at night, 2. Shoot them from a truck on the road and 3. bait them.

Otherwise on private land you are not allowed to do those things.

Of course if you want to walk around at night with hogs, there's that  Darwin award thing.

I'm ready and willing to set up my AR-10 and glass those piggies from 100yds and take 'em down sniper-style if anyone needs help with the eradication.  I think a .308 in the head would do the trick.

Here's the regs as stated on GeorgiaOutdoors.com. Notice the differences between private and public lands and consider the value and fun-factor of helping a private landowner with hog problems.

Feral Hog Hunting
PRIVATE LANDS: No closed  season; no limit. No hunting over bait, from a vehicle, or at night with a light over 6 volts. A resident Hunting License is required to hunt feral hogs for all resident hunters 16 years old or older, except when hunting on land owned by them or their immediate family (blood or dependent relationship) residing in the same household. Non-residents must meet non-resident license requirements.

NATIONAL FOREST LANDS (outside of WMAs): Hogs may be taken with archery equipment during archery deer hunts, with deer firearms during firearms deer hunts, with turkey firearms during  turkey hunts and with small game firearms during small game dates from Aug. 15-Feb. 28. Pursuing, catching or hunting hogs with dogs is not allowed during firearms deer season. No limit. No night hunting. Hunting license requirements must be met. Hunter orange is required  during firearms and primitive weapons deer seasons.

STOCKING: Relocation of feral hogs is illegal unless they have tested negative for brucellosis and pseudorabies within 30 days prior to being moved. Individuals who stock hogs in violation of laws and regulations are subject to prosecution by the Dept. of Agriculture. It is illegal to stock hogs on public lands or on private lands without permission of the landowner

WARNING: Feral hogs can carry diseases that are transmissible to people. To avoid possible exposure, wear plastic gloves when field-dressing feral hogs; wash hands with soap and hot water immediately afterwards; avoid direct contact with blood and reproductive organs; cook thoroughly. Properly dispose of all waste. For additional information, obtain a copy of Wild PigsHidden Danger for Farmers and Hunters, available at WRD offices.

PROCESSING: Any facility that processes  hogs for a fee must be licensed as a red meat establishment by the Dept. of Agriculture. For a list of licensed processors that process feral hogs, call the GA Dept. of Agriculture Meat Inspection Section at 1-800-282-5852, ext. 3673. The licensing requirement does not apply to anyone processing a feral hog for their own use.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:49:20 PM EDT
[#39]
OK.....I was wrong. A special permit is required and has to be obtained by the landowner for privelages beyond the scope of the regulations. I will no longer carry my 12 volt cordless spotlight. My 6 volt is plenty bright enough and easier to carry anyway. I apologize for spreading misinformation. Thats proof what happens when second hand information gets passed along too many times.
I guess I'm fine with my NV though.

Rlord posted aas I was typing but his info is spot on. Once again.......I'm sorry.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:07:08 PM EDT
[#40]
You hog guys need to read up on  brucellosis.

Ga hogs are infected (not all), and YOU can contract the disease just getting the blood on an open cut or scrape (who doesn't have those after a night in the woods?)

I am still waiting on NV equipped shooters who want to pop some beavers.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:16:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Where are the beavers? I'm a certified beaver slayer. I killed them all from my neighbors lake next door. I now have a laser which I plan to employ against the evil hog and beaver population around here. The laser should work well with the NVG's.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:14:44 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
You hog guys need to read up on  brucellosis.

Ga hogs are infected (not all), and YOU can contract the disease just getting the blood on an open cut or scrape (who doesn't have those after a night in the woods?)

I am still waiting on NV equipped shooters who want to pop some beavers.

Poppin' beavers, now thats an idea that works.....
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:28:26 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
OK.....I was wrong. A special permit is required and has to be obtained by the landowner for privelages beyond the scope of the regulations. I will no longer carry my 12 volt cordless spotlight. My 6 volt is plenty bright enough and easier to carry anyway. I apologize for spreading misinformation. Thats proof what happens when second hand information gets passed along too many times.
I guess I'm fine with my NV though.

Rlord posted aas I was typing but his info is spot on. Once again.......I'm sorry.

The 2005-2006 ga regs

Talked to the bro-in-law, he went to the Fannin property Sunday and said the hogs were expanding their scope- further away from the sreekbottom but still in the pasture.  He saw one at dusk across a meadow run into a small pine thicket at the edge of the woods. I had seen tracks up their last fall and suspected they might be laying up in it.  The good thing is that the back side of it isn't as dense and i might be able to do a 50-100 yard pickoff from the ridge above it- in the daytime.  There is a good canopy from the tall hardwoods behind the thicket and there isn't much underbrush until the pines at edge of the meadow.  

Of course i could still wait up for them down by the creek.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:08:04 PM EDT
[#44]
00bullit, I would love to get in on some of this !!! Ive got a 552 on my rra middie but no nv...
Lemme know if you need a hand
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:41:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Removed.  Strongly advise NOT dealing with this man.  --tbk1>
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:00:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Yo boar hunter,  

Welcome to arfcom

and holy shit!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:06:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Dear Boarhunter,
You got our last thread trashed. GO AWAY!!!!!

Sincerely,
Everyone
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:14:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:23:04 PM EDT
[#49]
And to think that I helped Doug fix his First AR15 when he barely knew which end of the barrel that the Bullet came out of. I see him on here giving out "expert" advice now.
Oh well, I will resurfice again here somewhere.  
Not counting any of my alisas from the last year, still have the second most POSITIVE feedbacks on ARFCOM, next to Ammo man who this website was looking for his nads last week in a thread.

This is America, and freedom is speech is still allowed.
They can't ban that.

<I'm going to leave this ^^^ post, but only to say this:  Mr. Haskins owes a great deal of money to various members of this site.  He was given MULTIPLE chances by EdAvilaSr to make things right--and he only dug his hole deeper.  He is BANNED from this site--and we strongly encourage everyone to avoid him like the plague.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Tommy,
I have stuck up for you the whole time, even when it came at the cost of my reputation.

What I don't want to happen is this thread to get locked, because you picked up another alias.

I appreciate what you have done for me and the fact that you have NEVER done me wrong.

Don't missrepresent yourself and don't get our thread locked.

Doug
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top