Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:38:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I had no idea.  

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:38:55 AM EDT
[#2]
It looks like we have several folks that want to hunt hogs, we just need to establish some places that are on public land or private with permission. Im surprised we dont have more boar hunters in the GA group already.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:47:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Another question related question - 45/70 guide gun or .50beowulf upper for hog hunting?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:17:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Current available arsenal:

.30-06 Bolt Action
.223/5.56 AR-15
.357 Magnum revolver

Would any of those be suitable or practical?

Honestly, for the first time out, I'd be happy to play pack-mule just for the experience.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:47:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:49:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I've used a 357 before, using 180gr HP Rem bullets and a load of H110 that I will not repeat. Seriously any of those loads can do the job if bullet placement is good. I've also used 41's and 45 Colt ( in a Ruger) these 2, I used Nosler bullets and the bullets always lodge under the far side of the hide. That being said, I bought a 12" 45/70 in a TC Bullberry barrel that I really want to see how hard it hits a pig:)
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:57:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Ya'll crack me up. This is a flippin' pig, not an elephant. I have killed them with a .22 mag, before.

I will carry my 16" HBAR and some 70 grain softpoints. Like anything else, it's all about shot placement.

Did anyone watch the show about Hogzilla? They were shooting hogs with a Ruger Mini-14 and dropping them with one shot. We all know how well a Mini-14 shoots.

Now, Hogzilla was shot with a mighty 7mag. I have one, but I am still taking the .223. This is AR15.com, you know!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:26:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:30:44 AM EDT
[#9]
When someone makes a bad shot and the running and funning takes off, the lightest piece that you can shoot well is best. I once saw a bad shot from a 30-30, the chase then began and it went on for a couple of hours and about 6-7 more 30-30 holes in that piggie This was in the TN hills and running up and down those puppies will get your heart pumping ;)
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:32:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:44:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:11:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been told the weapon of chioce for meat hunting in the past was a .30 carbine. I would imagine it might take all of a 30 round magazine if you shot him in the shoulder with a carbine!
At least it fits the light enough to run with catagory well!
Most anything will suffice for head shots,but for trophy hunting,the shoulder area is tough because of a thick layer of gristle (or so I'm told).
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:31:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I've been told the weapon of chioce for meat hunting in the past was a .30 carbine. I would imagine it might take all of a 30 round magazine if you shot him in the shoulder with a carbine!
At least it fits the light enough to run with catagory well!
Most anything will suffice for head shots,but for trophy hunting,the shoulder area is tough because of a thick layer of gristle (or so I'm told).

Tougher shoulders on the older Boars, scarred from fighting the other boars for 1st spot in the sow hump line.  Whether it makes a hoot difference i don't know.  

I read an intevriew with a hired pig trapper in california hills.  Once trapped he kills them with a 22.   Edge of suburbia, used the minimum firepower to keep curiousity down
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Edge of suburbia, used the minimum firepower to keep curiousity down

OK, but if I'm out there where they are running around free, I'm using the maximum firepower to keep drama down.

AR-10, you are my hog killing friend. (edited to add) And 20-round mag, you are my security blanket.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Alright RLord I like your style!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:06:53 PM EDT
[#16]
New question. Has anyone eatin wild hog? How was it prepared and how did it taste? Do diferent hogs taste the same?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:08:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I've eaten it, everytime I kill one, we keep some of it. Has a gamey taste for sure,but the tenderloin is excellent
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:28:09 PM EDT
[#18]
My weapon of choice........whatever I have with me. I like my .50 Beowulf. Its an autoloader with 10 rounds of heavy duty firepower.I aim for the head if I have a good shot. A wild hog rarely sits still long enough to take careful aim at the head. Its kinda hard to take a fast headshot outside of 50 yards. The .50 is still enough gun to penetrate the thick hide and usually bring em down or slow em down enough to take chase and get a finishing shot.  Any gun tends to work fine on a hog if the shot placement is good. Usually in the noggin puts em right down. Even with the .17HMR. I've shot hogs with a 300 Win Mag in the front shoulder and did not have an exit wound and chased them for 100 yards. Best bet is to go for the head especially if you're hunting them in or near swamps........preferrably right behind the ear(tough shot to make).

The boars and larger sows taste like shit and smell like shit. Better eatin comes from the smaller meat hogs. Usually less than 125 pounds. Tenderloin is good on all of em. Wild hogs are not the other white meat. Its red and more like a steak than a pork chop. I've never had wild hog bacon. I have had some excellent spicy sausage though.

FWIW.......Tommy Haskins has a pretty good hog hunting operation down on the Ocmulgee. I hunted with him last year. We had a group of eight and we killed six nice hogs and the other guys shot at some others. It was an ARFCOM deal and we had a good time. Except for the swamp boat insertion hunt when the boat broke down. Still fun though,just some extra work but it did net a 275 pounder. His reputation has been damaged on ARFCOM and will probably be next to impossible to repair. I'm not trying to make up for that at all. Just wanted to let some know that may be interested,that it was a worthwile trip for the weekend. We didn't sleep much for all the hunting we did. If we weren't huntin pigs,we were callin predators and poppin a few of them.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:39:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Edge of suburbia, used the minimum firepower to keep curiousity down

OK, but if I'm out there where they are running around free, I'm using the maximum firepower to keep drama down.

AR-10, you are my hog killing friend. (edited to add) And 20-round mag, you are my security blanket.

No sh*t!  I'd stay home unless i carried at least 2 guns and one of them has to be in a caliber that starts with a "4" at a minimum.

The 22 was the trapper dude in the hills above San Francisco.  Now if you think about it, a 22 is pretty bold for them. Out there I figure they'd have sent the hogs to counseling after they trapped them.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top