Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2004 3:35:35 PM EDT
Very good turnout for a workday.  Saw some very nice rifles.  Also saw a little W.E.C.S.O.G. activity.  

Beating on an AR with  CLAW HAMMER just doesn't sit well with me.  The "Handrail workbench/vice combo was somewhat better.

Guess we will need a bayonet dummy for drills next time, as there was nothing to "stick" today.

Okay, where are the pics, and are you guys still at Hooters?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:03:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I had fun today as well and it was good to see everybody again.  After shooting my LEO Colt, I can see why these things were banned.  I was destroying armored vehicles with mine something I never could have done with a postban gun.  

kblagg...sorry about your RRA.  I didn't check on the patient after surgery.  Is she gonna live?

BookHound...I'm lovin' that Larue rail.

DeltaAir423...you really need to quit bringing so much stuff.  The extra weight is flattening your tires.

ByteTheBullet...I expect to see a flash hider on that gun before the end of the week.

ARH...you need to get a bayo lug on that Remy.

WarDawg...stop buying American AK receivers.  Don'tcha know we don't know how to build 'em right?

ar-wrench...I'm not sure how you were shooting that Garand stock that you had on the bench, but it looked very nice.

Ghost-Shooter...yor FSB is on upside down.

There was a nice turnout of Garands today, too.  I think these things are catching on.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:40:53 PM EDT
[#2]
After the open heart surgery on the RRA, she was good to go again and fired like a charm for the rest of the day.  It was just one mag of ammo that caused the trouble.  Surprisingly it was the Q3131a that did it and not the Walmart white box.  Oh well, had a lot of fun shooting my FIRST AR and ARH's 700.  Had fun at seeing all the older guys drool at Hooters.  Good to see/meet you guys.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:50:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
After the open heart surgery on the RRA, she was good to go again and fired like a charm for the rest of the day.  It was just one mag of ammo that caused the trouble.  Surprisingly it was the Q3131a that did it and not the Walmart white box.  Oh well, had a lot of fun shooting my FIRST AR and ARH's 700.  Had fun at seeing all the older guys drool at Hooters.  Good to see/meet you guys.

Drool ain't the word, son.  

My advice is to play with all the young hooters you can.  Someday you'll be the one drooling.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#4]
What time did you guys leave the range?  I wanted to drop by, but i was sure it was too late when i got home.

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:57:04 PM EDT
[#5]
First time I have seen an AR fixed by beating it with a hammer and screw driver. That Bookhound should have been a surgeon. Every hit perfectly placed. One to the screw driver then one to the hand. Then repeat untill fixed.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:01:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ghost-Shooter...yor FSB is on upside down.

Whaddaya mean its upside down?  Isn't it supposed to be a monopod to assist the shooting?

Also saw a little W.E.C.S.O.G. activity.  Beating on an AR with CLAW HAMMER just doesn't sit well with me. The "Handrail workbench/vice combo was somewhat better.

Well, it worked, didn't it?  

Anyhow, good show today; I've never seen so many properly configurated ARs in one place before!  Makes me proud

And to top it off, I helped JoeWang assemble his newest addition, a M4gery, into all its evil splendor
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:20:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I wanna see some pictures of that soon.  I am sad I missed it. I need to get a lower soon so I can build a evil one soon.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:25:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Had some good news and some bad news.

Good news: my 308 deer loads are dialed in and dang near same POI as my Aussi surplus.  Watch out Bambi!

Bad news:  I found out I need way more 30-06.  

Hey book, did you find a use for your "Nubie Bag"?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:25:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Drool ain't the word, son.  

My advice is to play with all the young hooters you can.  Someday you'll be the one drooling.  

Come to UGA and you will definately see some girls that were MUCH nicer than the ones at Hooters.  Athens is full of hotties.  If only, they would put up a hooters in Athens.  

We took the long way getting to CE and the long way getting back.  Missed a turnoff on the way there and got bad directions on the way back.  Interesting day to say the least.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:28:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Come to UGA and you will definately see some girls that were MUCH nicer than the ones at Hooters.  Athens is full of hotties.  If only, they would put up a hooters in Athens.  

If I thought my pacemaker could handle it...
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:28:47 PM EDT
[#12]

How come everyone has all of this trouble with ammo in particular ARs and what not?  My mutt has yet to hiccup blazing away 90% of the old, pre-laquer wolf - especially in a rifle that was built for less than $350.  Must be my lightly broken in Colt bolt/carrier, that's all I can come up with...
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:03:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:20:29 AM EDT
[#14]
There was only one failure out of the 20 or so ARs there, and it was just one blown primer.  All of the rounds I shot were perfect, and it was out of an upper I assembled right before I left for the range.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:35:05 AM EDT
[#15]
I worked yesterday.......y'all SUCK!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:11:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:53:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I was surprised at how close the ACOG was out of the box.  Almost makes me want one, at least until I remember how much they cost.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:47:55 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

We took the long way getting to CE and the long way getting back.  Missed a turnoff on the way there and got bad directions on the way back.  Interesting day to say the least.

Whaddya mean bad directions back.  All you had to do is take GA 20 N to GA 124 N and that ran ya right into braselton
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:52:32 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whaddya mean bad directions back.  All you had to do is take GA 20 N to GA 124 N and that ran ya right into braselton

All i know is that we were on 20 and kept going straight and ended up on 78.  I was just riding...
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:55:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll look again when I dirve through there later tonight.  The only reason that I might know about that short cut is I followed kayakingdiva through there.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:05:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I worked yesterday.......y'all SUCK!

YEAH!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:47:26 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

kblagg, what exactly did the Q3131a ammo do to your RRA?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:35:34 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The primer came out of the shell and on one occasion came back and jammed up the cam pin and locked everything up.  On a few of the other shells the primer started to come out, but luckily didn't come all the way out of the shell like the 1st one did.  What really sucked about the whole thing, was that this is my 1st AR and it was my first time shooting one and it was on the third bullet that I shot.  Guess thats how things go sometimes.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:37:56 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The primer came out of the shell and on one occasion came back and jammed up the cam pin and locked everything up.  On a few of the other shells the primer started to come out, but luckily didn't come all the way out of the shell like the 1st one did.  What really sucked about the whole thing, was that this is my 1st AR and it was my first time shooting one and it was on the third bullet that I shot.  Guess thats how things go sometimes.

Do you remeber the lot number?
I would like to avoid that batch.

ARH
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:54:09 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had that happen a while back with that ammo too.  Even jammed the trigger once.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:07:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Wow, that's weird.  Out of the thousands of rounds (probably over 5000, under 10k ) that I've shot, I've never had a primer pop out.  Guess I'll be in for it soon
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:01:45 AM EDT
[#28]
there's a long thread about it somewhere in the AR15 section (about probs with the Q3131a).  Probably the ammo area.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:09:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Q3131 from 1999 was the problematic ammo with blown primers and overpressure.
That's rare for Q3131A unless there is something new/recent going on.
Is your chamber .223 SAAMI or 5.56 NATO? Q3131A is M193 5.56 and can cause
over pressurization and blown primers in a .223 chamber.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:16:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:25:33 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
His barrel is a new Bushmaster (IIRC) barrel that he and I installed on a new RRA upper.  We didn't have any problems with installation.  Kyle, do you remember if we headspaced it?  I think we did with my field guage.

You put in the gauge and all to show me what was involved since I asked about it so yeh.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:48:02 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
His barrel is a new Bushmaster (IIRC) barrel that he and I installed on a new RRA upper.  We didn't have any problems with installation.  Kyle, do you remember if we headspaced it?  I think we did with my field guage.

You let Book work on your rifle? Wasn't he the "claw hammer" man?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:51:38 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
His barrel is a new Bushmaster (IIRC) barrel that I installed

There's your problem right there.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:00:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:44:33 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

You might want to check it with a "go"gauge  also if you didn't during the install.  If the chamber length is too tight to close on a "GO", it could cause excess pressure and primer problems.

Did you inspect the fired brass for flattened and flowing primers?

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:27:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Turns out that a lot of other people have had problems with the same lot of ammo that I had.  Seems most of the problems are with the VA82 and VA92 lots.  www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=196733&page=2
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:30:38 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I was starting to think that myself.  

Yes, I beat the carrier out with a screwdriver and claw hammer.  Now, go ask DeltaAir what he was beating with the claw hammer.  

No beating anything with a claw hammer, just using it as an extension on my AK front sight adjuster.  

damn goofy americans and their space guns
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top