Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2006 3:32:32 PM EDT
Well, a friend and I just took the concealed carry safety course last weekened, and we had been warned that the Meck sheriff didn't like giving out the licenses.  So my friend called today to make an appointment for the license "interview".  Next one available is April 27!!!  And they say it takes the full 90 days to do the background check.  Sounds like he makes it take as long as possible to discourage people.

I thought it was "Shall issue"......My bad.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:36:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Silly Marine. To think you can protect our country and then have the nerve to want to carry a firearm on your person when not serving. What where you thinking???  I used to work with a couple of guys thatwere retired Army and had to deal with the same BS in Meck. county.

Good Luck with it. Persue it to the end.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:05:03 PM EDT
[#2]
good grief, an interview?  Thank goodness I went ahead and got mine in a free county
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:27:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Make sure that you follow up with them...they won't call you to let you know you've been approved....at least they didn't let my former employer know.  He waited 90 days and then some until I made him call.  Then they gave him the old "Oh, it's ready, we were just waiting to hear back from you" line.

Mecklenburg Co. sucks.  You should strongly consider moving to a neighboring county like Gaston or Cabarrus.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:34:30 PM EDT
[#4]
You do all of your paperwork right there during that appointment. I dont really see it as a means of discouraging anyone from obtaining a permit.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:46:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Make sure that you follow up with them...they won't call you to let you know you've been approved....at least they didn't let my former employer know.  He waited 90 days and then some until I made him call.  Then they gave him the old "Oh, it's ready, we were just waiting to hear back from you" line.

Mecklenburg Co. sucks.  You should strongly consider moving to a neighboring county like Gaston or Cabarrus.

you DO NOT want to move to Cabarrus if you are looking for something more gun friendly. our sheriff is a mostly anti gun liberal. and to think that the SOB actually attends the NRA dinner every year at the arena, what an asshat.

any way, there is a very gun friendly man running for sheriff this time against Riley and i hope he wins.  he already has my vote and i am going to try to campaign for him.

camaro
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:42:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you DO NOT want to move to Cabarrus if you are looking for something more gun friendly. our sheriff is a mostly anti gun liberal. and to think that the SOB actually attends the NRA dinner every year at the arena, what an asshat.

any way, there is a very gun friendly man running for sheriff this time against Riley and i hope he wins.  he already has my vote and i am going to try to campaign for him.

camaro

I've never had a problem with Riley approving all my purchase permits or concealed carry permit. All my purchase permits were in my hand less than 24 hours after my request. My Concealed Carry permit was given in a reasonable time frame as well.

With that being said, I am dissapointed that Riley won't approve SBR's or suppressors. That''s why I'll support his rival in the next election. I assume you're talking about Bradford? He'll get my vote too.

With regards to the original poster's statements, I wasn't aware that an interview was required for issuance of a CC permit. At least it's not in my county. I wasn't aware that counties could make their own rules concerning issuance of the premit. I thought you just fill out your application, get fingerprinted, pay $90 and wait a reasonable amount of time (up to 90 days) for a background check to be done. An extra step in the application process like your described "interview" is troubling as it would seem to be an unneeded step for completing your application that only serves to extend your waiting period for getting your permit. I'm not even sure if that's necessarily legal. It sounds like the same principals at work as a "poll tax" or some other such nonsense that are definately not legal. I'd contact the state attorney general and ask him. He'd have the answer.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:56:30 AM EDT
[#7]
The law does not require an interview.  It’s a Shall Issue law.  You take the class, turn in the paperwork from the class, fill out the CCW paperwork, pay the $$ and wait.  The sheriff Can Not denied you a permit if your background check comes back clean.  Anything he requires can be fought, if you want to go through the trouble, and make him stop "his requirements".  It is just like the durham county sheriff.  He was taken to court and lost, but he just waited a year or two and started up again with his requirements again.  

Sheriffs like this should be hit with a big fine or fired.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:03:12 AM EDT
[#8]
The socalled "interview" in Mecklenburg County is no more than a couple of questions they ask when you get fingerprinted. It doesn't make it any more BS than having to get a concealed carry permit in the first place.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:23:53 AM EDT
[#9]
We'll have a new Sheriff coming up in Surry co.  All in all, Watson has been pretty good.  I don't know how McHone or others are on permits, SBR's, etc.

I need to do some homework.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:50:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I still can't get through on the phone to make my appointment.  Funny, same phone number for gun permits, concealed handgun licenses, and sex offenders.  Now you know what they think of gun owners.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:08:31 PM EDT
[#11]
or maybe they think sex offenders should be shot?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#12]
NC is a shall issue state...why is the sheriff involved in the process?  Does he actually issue the permit?  In SC the state law enforcement issues CWPs
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:14:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The socalled "interview" in Mecklenburg County is no more than a couple of questions they ask when you get fingerprinted. It doesn't make it any more BS than having to get a concealed carry permit in the first place.

It's B.S. because you have to schedule an interview. You can't go down there the day you get your certificate and get fingerprinted and apply. It puts off the date you get to apply by who knows how long (whenever the sheriff feels like getting around to it?). It's an extra hoop you have to jump through that is not required by the NC Concealed Carry law. It's just some arbitrary rule made up by the Mecklenburg County Sherriff. NC has a "shall issue" permit, the rules are plainly written. It says nothing of scheduling an interview for some future date for you to be able to apply. That's what makes it B.S., not the fact you have to answer a couple of questions.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:20:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Other than Riley not signing off on NFA or SBR, I haven't had any issues with him.

My permits were processed quickly.  I could pick up a permit in 24 hrs (sometimes less), with only a phone call  to tell them I was coming.

He even reapproved my expired permit (by 3 months) when I moved to Cabarrus County, without making me retake the CCW class [edit-I didn't take him up on the offer though, and never spoke with him, but one of the deputies who was processing my handgun permits.  It was discussed by the deputy as a suggestion that came up in conversation, and then when I picked up my first handgun purchase permit, I was told that it would be possible to renew my CCW without retaking the class, if I wanted.  I had no conversation with Mr. Riley regarding this, and though I assumed this was brought up to him, hence the answer given, this might have just been an opinion given by a person who's not a "decision-maker". ).

Contrast that with the Sheriff in Pitt County, who wanted to charge me $290 for my renewal ($200 to refingerprint me ...why? and $90 for the renewal).  

Cabarrus could be a lot worse.

However, I'll support Riley's opponent if he's more gun friendly...no doubt
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's B.S. because you have to schedule an interview. You can't go down there the day you get your certificate and get fingerprinted and apply. It puts off the date you get to apply by who knows how long (whenever the sheriff feels like getting around to it?). It's an extra hoop you have to jump through that is not required by the NC Concealed Carry law. It's just some arbitrary rule made up by the Mecklenburg County Sherriff. NC has a "shall issue" permit, the rules are plainly written. It says nothing of scheduling an interview for some future date for you to be able to apply. That's what makes it B.S., not the fact you have to answer a couple of questions.

I agree 100% Terd. It would be nice if people could walk in like at the DMV and get everything done without an appointment.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:00:00 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree 100% Terd. It would be nice if people could walk in like at the DMV and get everything done without an appointment.

In Cabarrus County where I live, you can just walk in. That is, if it's a Monday, Wednesday, or Friday. Those are the days fingerprinting is available and applications are accepted. Also, you have to have correct change.

The more I think about this Mecklenburg County "interview", the madder I get. It's about the principle. Making it more inconveiniant to get a concealed carry permit by requiring an appointment is wrong. If it's not required by state law, you shouldn't have to worry about it. Someone who lives in Mecklenburg County should really contact GrassrootsNC or even the Attorney General and do something about this.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:10:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

camaro

I actually met Brafford's brother today.  He runs a little shop in Concord called Tactical Edge.  He says that his brother is VERY pro-gun, and will be pushing for a public range to be built in Cabarrus County should he be elected.  I asked him about NFA items, but he didn't really want to comment on that.

Having said that, Riley is definitely anti-gun for the masses.  He's a nice enough guy, I just don't like his politics.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:54:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As someone who may be moving to NC in the future, I have to ask: why isn't anybody fighting this bs in court???

Does NC have a state level gun rights org. and if so, why aren't they stomping these sherriff's guts out (in court that is)?

Seems like a slam dunk winning case to me (given state law), so why all the trouble?  
Edit-Language-u352
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:05:08 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As someone who may be moving to NC in the future, I have to ask: why isn't anybody fighting this bs in court???

Does NC have a state level gun rights org. and if so, why aren't they stomping these sherriff's guts out (in court that is)?

Seems like a slam dunk winning case to me (given state law), so why all the trouble?  
Edit-Language-u352

There is an organization called Grassroots North Carolina. They were instrumental in helping us get the concealed carry law. They probably aren't helping because they don't know about it. The sherriff's not in court because no Mecklenburg County citizen has bucked up yet.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:09:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Then it sounds like you guys need to get on the ball, and start fighting these capricious restrictions.

Hell, I'll file the lawsuits myself (when & if I move down there), but why wait??? Get some $$$ together, get organized, and put these petty tyrants in their place.

I doubt they want to hear from a "yankee", so who is going to step up to the plate?

Grass Roots North Carolina  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:13:36 AM EDT
[#21]
BTW, since when are curse words a violation of the AR15.com code of conduct???

www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=5
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:40:09 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
BTW, since when are curse words a violation of the AR15.com code of conduct???

www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=5

Since this is a "Home" town forum it may be that u352 (and others including myself) feels that some language is not appropriate  for a forum that we open to young adults and kids. Sometimes I forget this myself but am thankful that when I do, u352 will help me out. I refer this forum to many friends and associates, some of which do find profanity objectionable, so I agree with the editing. It hasn't changed the meaning or intensity of your statement, just makes your point stand out instead of the language.  Just my thoughts. This is't a slam in any way just an opinion.

F3
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:05:27 AM EDT
[#23]
I finally go through on the phone yesterday.  My appointment is May 1st, a month and a half wait!!!!  Just to fill out some forms and be fingerprinted.  That is utter BS.  I'm writing to Grass Roots NC about this.  It will be 4 1/2 months before I can get my CHL.  That's just stupid!!  It only took 60 days when I lived in MA.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:53:57 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

He even reapproved my expired permit (by 3 months) when I moved to Cabarrus County, without making me retake the CCW class.

Contrast that with the Sheriff in Pitt County, who wanted to charge me $290 for my renewal ($200 to refingerprint me ...why? and $90 for the renewal).  

Cabarrus could be a lot worse.

However, I'll support Riley's opponent if he's more gun friendly...no doubt

Are you referring to you CCH permit???
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:14:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Yes.  Pitt County's sheriff at the time, who's name escapes me, I think it was Mack something, was very anti-CCW.

As a result, the renewal process was odious, time-consuming, and expensive.

I wish I'd have kept the renewal letter I got from their office.

When I moved to Cabarrus Co., the person in charge of permits said that it was "not right and possibly illegal" for him to charge that much, as the statute basically laid out the cost for renewal.  I guess they're charging a high "refingerprinting" fee.

Pitt county also used to charge $25 per pistol permit.  I about fell on the floor in shock when I asked for 2 and was quoted a price of $50!

As to Riley's renewal of my license after lapse, perhaps I should clarify-

I didn't take him (Riley) up on the offer though, and never spoke with him, but one of the deputies who was processing my handgun permits.  It was discussed by the deputy as a suggestion that came up in conversation, and then when I picked up my first handgun purchase permit, I was told that it would be possible to renew my CCW without retaking the class, if I wanted.  I had no conversation with Mr. Riley regarding this, and though I assumed this was brought up to him(Riley), hence the answer given, this might have just been an opinion given by a person who's not a "decision-maker".  Perhaps this was more a case of "Yeah, I think you can do that, submit the paperwork and I'll see what my boss says", but it wasn't stated like that.  All I know was the offer was made, I considered it, but declined at that time.  

HTH
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:02:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Under NC's governmental organization, the 'high sheriff' is the most powerful person in the county.

Cross him at your peril.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:35:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Under NC's governmental organization, the 'high sheriff' is the most powerful person in the county.

Cross him at your peril.

So are you saying that most folks are reluctant to take these rogue sheriffs to court out of fear that they will be persecuted?  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:50:35 PM EDT
[#28]

I didn't take him (Riley) up on the offer though, and never spoke with him, but one of the deputies who was processing my handgun permits.  It was discussed by the deputy as a suggestion that came up in conversation, and then when I picked up my first handgun purchase permit, I was told that it would be possible to renew my CCW without retaking the class, if I wanted.  I had no conversation with Mr. Riley regarding this, and though I assumed this was brought up to him(Riley), hence the answer given, this might have just been an opinion given by a person who's not a "decision-maker".  Perhaps this was more a case of "Yeah, I think you can do that, submit the paperwork and I'll see what my boss says", but it wasn't stated like that.  All I know was the offer was made, I considered it, but declined at that time.  

HTH

That right there is ILLEGAL according to NC Gen. Statutes.  There is no grace period after expiration...when it expires its done.  You HAVE to take the class over.  I'll need to find my instructors info from the state, but there was a lot of stink about it from the Justice Academy a few years ago.

As for the People's Republik of Mecklenburg County.....all of you evidently haven't figured out that Meck. Co. makes up their own laws and rules no matter what the brass in Raliegh has to say about it.  Meck Co. does what they want when they want and they aren't scared of getting sued by anyone.  Hell, I remember tons of BS from when I worked for CMPD....the CCW issue is only one of about 50,000.

As for Cabarrus County, I've never had any trouble getting anything done there.  I will say that new blood is needed in this county....it's time for the Canaday-istic politics to retire.  I WILL be voting for John Bradford in the upcoming election....I'm confident he won't sell us out to the County Comissioners like Riley does every time.  If there's ever going to be a public range in Cabarrus Co., it's going to be Bradford that bucks the Comissioners and makes it happen.  No matter who is sheriff, that range will be added to the SO Training Facility....it's up to the residents of the county to voice that they want the ability to use it and possibly volunteer as Range Officers to help cut the cost.

I would strongly encourage every resident of Cabarrus County that wants access to that new rifle range to contact Riley and voice your opinion....or vote for his opponent!

DL3
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:32:24 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cross him at your peril.

So are you saying that most folks are reluctant to take these rogue sheriffs to court out of fear that they will be persecuted?  

Persecuted does not begin to describe it.

I have a former friend, an FFL who also acts as a BATFE informant entrapping buyers, who crossed the county sheriff here.

The FFL was approached by a known collector of highend shotguns (who happened to be the SD's evidence bureau chief) about selling some of his "collection".  Turns out they were all stolen from the evidence locker (and we're still talking high-end Italian shotguns - cased sets, etc.).  The FFL despite being an BATFE informant, had no clue the shotguns were stolen, initially.

The scandal hit the paper.  When it did, the FFL was made by the sheriff to look like the bad guy but the evidence bureau chief sang to the press and the sheriff felt he was made to look like a dork.  No one really cared except the sheriff.

The sheriff now denies the FFL, who is also a concealed carry instructor, pistol purchase permits due to his "moral character".  Before the change allowing CCW permit holders to use it in lieu of pistol purchase permits, the FFL was able to sell pistols, but could not buy one himself.  And there was no way to do anything about it other than move to another county.

Truth is, you 'stick up' too much and a corrupt sheriff can do far more than persecute you.  And our sheriff isn't 'corrupt' - he's just the nexus of Democratic party good old boy power in the county (and the Democrats own the state at the state and local level).
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:59:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

HTH

That right there is ILLEGAL according to NC Gen. Statutes.  There is no grace period after expiration...when it expires its done.  You HAVE to take the class over.  I'll need to find my instructors info from the state, but there was a lot of stink about it from the Justice Academy a few years ago.

DL3

That's what I was getting at.  My books say the same thing.  

I'm glad you declined the "offer".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top