Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2006 8:40:20 AM EDT
We recently found out a secretary has embezzled almost $10k from our company- that's an early number...

Here is a link to another thread I created that didn't get much helpful responses-->  LINK

Here is my first post for the thread:

What are the chances that my ex secretary will do jail time for applying payments for our company vans to her own car loan? I'm talking 14 of them @ $375+ each. She would also enter checks into the accounting software as if to pay $600 to the County Surveyor's office but instead put her name on the check and cash them?

She was forging my boss's name and one time the stupid bitch even signed his name in the MEMO field!!

We also think a few VERY large checks cashed at the post office were for more than just stamps (Money Orders.)

Anyone have experience with this type of shit?

We had fired her three weeks before our accountant caught this. She has no idea of knowing that the local PD and detectives are looking into it.

My boss has been told by the LOCAL pd that he shouldn't get a lawyer until AFTER a criminal case is finished.  I know that's NOT the way it works and need to know if any of you have any Indiana-specific knowledge about this shit.  I don't think we'll get anywhere with the boss and owners of the company running this thing.  I have a strong feeling that if someone were to anonymously call a "higher power" in the prosecutor's office or similar, that more could be done.

I think leaving this to the local PD will get us nowhere.

Can anyone help?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:22:20 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

We had fired her three weeks before our accountant caught this.

I'm curious as to why she was fired "before" the embezzlement was discovered?

Was there something else going on that would help us understand this situation better?

Quoted:

My boss has been told by the LOCAL pd that he shouldn't get a lawyer until AFTER a criminal case is finished.  ................

Why did your boss feel that he needed a lawyer? Is he involved with the secretary? Was the secretary signing checks in his name with his permission?

Is there something more going on that we should know about?

Quoted:

I think leaving this to the local PD will get us nowhere.

Why?

Do you have reason to believe the local police won't do what they are hired and trained to do?

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:57:42 AM EDT
[#2]
She has been a problem for a looong time.  Just a real sassy little bitch deadbeat that I couldn't get to do anything right...

She would take off at least 2 days a week, most of the time without calling.  Don't ask me how, she just always got away with it.

I work for the a Land Surveying company that branched off from a Civil Engineering company.  We are still in the same building and work together on most projects.  She's been "their" problem the whole time she's been stealing from us.  She's been a thorn in my side ever since we separated.  

She's been stealing that entire time as well...

As far as any involvement with the bosses, one of the two brothers that own the Engineering company is a real fucking pig.  Most guys girlfriends, wives and my fiance don't show up for Christmas parties.  I'm sure he's done some really stupid things to her far worse than we've witnessed.  She was wasted at one party and so was he.  He picked her up and said he was going to drive her home.  Luckily he didn't know where she lived.  

She's basically been around for so long becuase he's ignorant.  He's got a hot piece of ass working the front desk and thinks they are both fun to have...

So even after the criminal case settles, she'll sue him for SH if her lawyers are smart...

I think my boss should have a lawyer because he needs to know exactly what he's going to have to face down the road.  That's what lawyers are for- legal advice, no?

She was printing checks from the computer with her name on them and then changing the register in the computer.  the stupid bitch even signed (forged) my boss's name in the MEMO field once.

I want my boss to get a lawyer to make sure we are doing what we need to in order to pursue a civil case correctly down the road.  We do everything so half-ass around here -that's how we have gotten into this position- and I want them to do this right.  

I just don't believe the police know the exact process for civil cases like this.  why shoudln't we have a lawyer?

Are the local police hired and trained to investigate embezzlement cases?  I figure they take the info and go back out on patrol.  their detectives can investigate, but only so much before it goes to the DA.  I want to make sure the DA doesn't get yet one more paltry little theft case and plead it down or some shit...

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#3]
A friend of mine had the same problem.  He really put the srews to her by getting the IRS involved.  He sent her a 1099 for the money.  Then she had to pay taxes on the money as well since she had no means to repay the money.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:28:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
A friend of mine had the same problem.  He really put the srews to her by getting the IRS involved.  He sent her a 1099 for the money.  Then she had to pay taxes on the money as well since she had no means to repay the money.

wouldn't that only work for money received as wages, compensation or a gift?  You don't report taxes on money you stole, do you?  

By the same reasoning, wouldn't a car theif be taxed on the value of the car at the time he stole it?  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:22:29 PM EDT
[#5]
It worked for him.  You could ask a lawyer or your accountant.  Hell I would even give the IRS a call.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:52:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Excuse me for a second; IF it is shown as income, then no crime was done.

IF she later claims she earned it with favors or other off the record activity, the money trail would only reinforce her phony claims.  So, the thousands and thousands of dollars have to be accounted for some how.  Any mistake made now will bite that person in the ass later.

As I recall, it may be possible to demand the bank refund any checks forged and cashed that are less than 1 year old.  I am not going to lay out my experience with this, but the first step is to be realistic about the potential to get the money back.  This chic won't have any money, not ever, unless she hoards it in the bank.  Not likely.

So you let legal action do the talking, criminal, not civil.  Depending on your location, the powers that be may not be interested in pressing the charges, if in their opinion the amount is not large.  Tough shit, press the issue, make it happen.

Then you can get damages either via criminal court or through civil action.  She may never be able to pay it back, but I think she will never get a tax refund as long as she owes the money, your boss will get it, and she will go to her grave paying on the judgment.  Bankruptcy does not clear legal judgments either.

Even at $200 an hour, 30 to 60 minutes now with the atttorney pays for itslef by having a plan now.  He or she may say screw this, walk away from it, end of story.  Typical of the con artist, even after she is caught, people buy into her shit and fail to take action.  That is how she got their trust to begin with, she is THAT GOOD!

PS is she hot and single?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top