Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2006 7:38:29 PM EDT
What are the chances that my ex secretary will do jail time for applying payments for our company vans to her own car loan?  I'm talking 14 of them @ $375+ each.  She would also enter checks into the accounting software as if to pay $600 to the County Surveyor's office but instead put her name on the check and cash them?

She was forging my boss's name and one time the stupid bitch even signed his name in the MEMO field!!

We also think a few VERY large checks cashed at the post office were for more than just stamps (Money Orders.)

Anyone have experience with this type of shit?

We had fired her three weeks before our accountant caught this.  She has no idea of knowing that the local PD and detectives are looking into it.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:00:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Someone who works in the prosecutor's office could probably provide better information.  But I prosecuted a civil claim against a woman who did the same thing to two employers, approaching $20,000 with the second (which I was involved in) and about $40,000 to the first.  We recovered a fair chunk of the money and were collecting monthly payments when she informed me she was going to prison for six years.  The first employer was pretty ticked off and really pushed to have her prosecuted.  

If the boss wants to see her serve time, keep hounding the prosecutor and give them everything they need.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:54:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I was hoping that's all it would take.  I know the owners are fully intent on putting her in jail but they always have good intentions and just never quite "get it."

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:17:29 AM EDT
[#3]
First, I was waiting for this thread............

Second, if the owners "just never quite 'get it'," ask them to let you be their point person on the matter.  Then skewer the bitch.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:27:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I have seen it many times.  In my expierence, she will get probation and Daddy will fork up the money to pay restitution.  

White collar crime for thousands is a slap on the wrist.  Rob the 7-11 for $50 and go to prison for 20 years.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:14:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Supposedly these crimes are Class C Felonies by Federal Law that carry a minimum sentence of 2 years...

I just don't know how they count each offense and if they stack up.  She did write 14 checks for car payments and then had several other methods, each of which she used multiple times.  

They won't let me be the point man.  I constantly advise them on how to do everything, what equipment to purchase, what to let me buy to build our computers, etc. and it's never ending.  

We are a Surveying company that "split" from the larger Engineering company 4 years ago.  I've been the biggest open proponent for separating ourselves further.  Sure, the two Land Surveyors want to be free of the egotystical pig Engineer and his brother but we haven't gone too far yet...

I got a job offer from another company in the area and declined it after having a nice long talk with the two owners of this company.  

Sure enough, one week later we find this shit out.

UPDATE:  It's taken me awhile on and off to write this so new news:

Supposedly the detective says that only checks she put her name on will count against her.  The car payments will but the petty cash checks won't.  I guess that's a matter for a civil case where we'd try to match up forged signatures...

Also, the detective says we are not allowed to contact an attorney until she is convicted in a criminal case, not even to get advice.  WTF?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:45:50 AM EDT
[#6]
If it's a small town, she may be related to the detective (or otherwise tied via a social network*).

This is America.  You can essentially get an atty for whatever the fuck you want, whenever you want!

Jake.

* A couple years ago, at my wife's last job, there was a lady (low on the totem pole) who caught all kinds of breaks.  One of which was the Director getting the lady's Supervisor to take her to Human Resources for insubordination.  When she did, the Dir. accompanied the two of them across the street to Admin.  The HR mgr turned it all around on the Supervisor, and the Dir hung the Supervisor out to dry.

The Dir had earlier lobbied my wife to do the same thing, which she declined to, upon my counsel; the Dir. subsequently xferred the insubordinate wench to the other Supervisor, who did what the Dir. suggested (not ordered).  The Dir had no backbone to stand up for what she'd put her subordinate up to.

When my wife told me about this, I remembered her mentioning something about the low-on-the-totem-pole lady's dad being a pastor.  I wondered aloud if the HR dir wasn't a parishoner.......  About a year and a half later, my wife finds out that's the case.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:58:54 AM EDT
[#7]
no, she has noone in the criminal justice system or anywhere in a position of power for that matter.  She's basically a white trash slut who takes everything she can get, when she can get it.  

she's 110lbs soaking wet, an A cup and her ass looks like a saggy version of a 14 year old boy's ass (I'm guessing here) and she is a self proclaimed MILF because she had a kid when she was 19 and thinks she's "all that" when she goes partying.  She really thinks she's the shit and has an attitude to match.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:24:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, firing squad then.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:44:08 PM EDT
[#9]
"Also, the detective says we are not allowed to contact an attorney until she is convicted in a criminal case, not even to get advice. WTF?"

Never take legal advice from the police (they are probably worse than the internet).
Talk with a lawyer.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:11:51 PM EDT
[#10]
well that's our first problem.  The owners are listening to the cops.  We are still digging through surveys that the last guy I wanted fired drew.  That f*cker would just make sh*t up as he went.  I wanted him fired after 2 months.  He was gone in 9.  

I keep telling them that the next opportunity I have to say "I told you so!" is going to go unnoticed- that I'll just be leaving.  I just can't seem to convince them it's not worth the risk and that all they have to do is call a lawyer ONCE to show me they tried.  Right now, they only know what the cops have said.  I try telling them that a cop sure as f*ck doesn't know the laws regarding embezzlement.  

I'm pissing up a rope.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Let me tell you a little story that another business owner
I know went through .

He had a woman working for him doing AP/AR work . She was
authorized to sign checks and access the bank accounts .
After 8 years , a new accountant discovered that $140,000
was unaccounted for in just the previous 2 years .

When they dug , they found out it was the woman in question .
so he filed charges and had her arrested .  Under questioning
her story was that all the checks she wrote for her mortgage , cars
jewelry and vacations were authorized by the Biz owner as gifts and
bonuses to her , because she was having an affair with him ( He's Married )
and that the rest of the money was actually paid out as expenses and
sublet labor to dummy company's .  She claimed that it was his idea to
hide money from the state and IRS , and that she was only doing it to
keep her job

In the end he ended up dropping the charges to avoid having
to submit all of his company and personal financial records at a trial , as well
as having to defend himself against the accusation that he was having an
affair with her

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:38:03 PM EDT
[#12]
sounds like what I know will happen here.  If her lawyer is smart, they will bring up sexual harassment charges against the owner of our sister company (Civil Engineering) and it will all become a wash...

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:03:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I know went through .

He had a woman working for him doing AP/AR work . She was
authorized to sign checks and access the bank accounts .
After 8 years , a new accountant discovered that $140,000
was unaccounted for in just the previous 2 years .

When they dug , they found out it was the woman in question .
so he filed charges and had her arrested .  Under questioning
her story was that all the checks she wrote for her mortgage , cars
jewelry and vacations were authorized by the Biz owner as gifts and
bonuses to her , because she was having an affair with him ( He's Married )
and that the rest of the money was actually paid out as expenses and
sublet labor to dummy company's .  She claimed that it was his idea to
hide money from the state and IRS , and that she was only doing it to
keep her job

In the end he ended up dropping the charges to avoid having
to submit all of his company and personal financial records at a trial , as well
as having to defend himself against the accusation that he was having an
affair with her

If true, that was some expensive ass.

If not, well he should have fucked her -- if he was gonna be paying for it anyway.........
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:54:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I know went through .

If true, that was some expensive ass.

If not, well he should have fucked her -- if he was gonna be paying for it anyway.........

I've known him for almost 20 years . To this day he swears he never he
never touched her , and while she is well worth touching .

I wouldn't have gone a dime over a 100 grand for it  

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:55:21 AM EDT
[#15]
We had a simular situation and went to her family and basicly said that if she made good we would go away.  If not she would go away for a long time along with thier family name getting dragged through the local paper.  It would not work in a large city, but it works great in a small town.  Once we got paid her and her husband moved to the big city.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top