Link Posted: 6/10/2021 3:22:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I heard it was the last one last year.

Link Posted: 6/10/2021 4:49:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just heard the rumor. Say it ain't so!
View Quote

The rumor is true. Apparently they are all burned out after this last year of overwhelming panic buying.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 8:34:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been going twice a year for years. Just something to do. This sucks
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 10:42:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, me too. The Creek has been my one big deal twice a year.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 4:36:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The rumor is true. Apparently they are all burned out after this last year of overwhelming panic buying.
View Quote

Are they closing or just ending the MG Shoot/show?
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 5:25:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Are they closing or just ending the MG Shoot/show?
View Quote

Their store is pretty empty due to the panic.

I hope the range stays open at least for Louisville people.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 10:12:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only the Machine Gun Shoot is ending.  The range is staying open.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 12:21:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Only the Machine Gun Shoot is ending.  The range is staying open.
View Quote

Yeah, I know but the only time I go is for the Machine Gun Shoot, and a couple of times for the ARFCOM Shoot. It too far from my home to go more. There are a dozen gun ranges closer to me and most of my shooting is done in my back yard.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 5:11:48 PM EDT
[#9]
If they can't do the shoot, I hope they can at least do the gun show... nothing like it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 11:03:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If they can't do the shoot, I hope they can at least do the gun show... nothing like it.
View Quote

I hope so too but I am afraid they are inseparable.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:50:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I really doubt the MG shoots will end forever- it's the signature event.

The store staff has told me their sales and entry ticket sales are two completely different items.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 8:17:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Here's what has been posted.  Looks like it is the end of an era.

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 7:27:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Sad news indeed
Hopefully range will stay open long term!
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 11:22:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Definitely be there this year. Used to go all the time years ago and loved it. Spent way too much money there.....
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 5:49:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I just opened my table registration letter yesterday and read the insert from Kenny. Very sad indeed.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 12:23:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Very sad news.

I have been going there ever since 1986.

The shoot is the only reason I visit KCR.

I hope Kenny reconsiders his decision.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 11:41:36 AM EDT
[#17]
That does suck. I haven't been in a while but the "gun show" aspect of it used to be great. Kind of always wanted to stay for the night shoot but never did. May have to head down this fall for one last time
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Sad news indeed
Hopefully range will stay open long term!
View Quote

The MG Shoot page of their website confirms that the MG Shoot is ending after this fall, but the range will stay open.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 1:37:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Hope the guy with the dead ACOGS and chopped up SCAR suppressors shows up this year. I'd really like one of the sups for a paper weight.

oh, and 5.56 repack guy.

and the guy with the smoke grenades from 1977.

Basically, if this has to be the last one I hope it's a good one.

Link Posted: 8/16/2021 5:55:01 PM EDT
[#20]
FUCK.
Just as I'm getting ready to move to KY and get into MG's.
I've been lusting over the Knob Creek event from afar for YEARS, and now this.

Hmmm....maybe there's a business opportunity here...
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 12:34:47 PM EDT
[#21]
What did Kenny say about it?  

Why is it ending?
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 7:30:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Tag for answers. I’m considering going by myself since none of my usual travel buddies are available that weekend.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 8:28:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Hopefully, this coming Saturday, those of us that will be there can get some clearer reasonings for the "whys". (Hometown event)
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 7:28:18 PM EDT
[#24]
I already asked in the GD thread with no luck.  What are my chances of a camping spot if i show up on Thursday evening?  I know its a FCFS.  Me and a buddy are doing an 11hr road trip for this.  Any heads up will be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 9:40:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
FUCK.
Just as I'm getting ready to move to KY and get into MG's.
I've been lusting over the Knob Creek event from afar for YEARS, and now this.

Hmmm....maybe there's a business opportunity here...
View Quote

I know people in Mississippi and Louisiana who drive to Arizona to shoot their arty and MG's. Offer them a comparable experience at a closer location and you may have something.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 6:54:35 PM EDT
[#26]
A couple of questions for folks that have been to the shoot before. I'm coming for the first time and was wondering about the best times to show up for parking, how far of a walk to the event and any other must know info. I have heard the parking can be a mess, especially if it has rained prior. Trying to decide whether to drive the Camry or the F150 for the 7 hour trip. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What did Kenny say about it?  

Why is it ending?
View Quote

Quoted:
Hopefully, this coming Saturday, those of us that will be there can get some clearer reasonings for the "whys". (Hometown event)
View Quote

The last 2 years have worn them out. With the rise in gun sales, they've been in a constant "show prep" work level. Kenny said he basically gets up to go to work so he can go home to get up to come to work.

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:39:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
A couple of questions for folks that have been to the shoot before. I'm coming for the first time and was wondering about the best times to show up for parking, how far of a walk to the event and any other must know info. I have heard the parking can be a mess, especially if it has rained prior. Trying to decide whether to drive the Camry or the F150 for the 7 hour trip. Thanks.
View Quote

Watch the weather. If it's been raining, even the close spots can be a bit swampy. The earlier the better, but coming in noonish can get you a spot fairly close as the people who got there early start leaving. Bring ear pro and loads of cash.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:49:01 AM EDT
[#29]
For ear protection, bring headphones/earmuffs. Plugs are OK when you are back in the gun show area but if you are near the firing line, the concussion is too great for just plugs.

It is supposed to rain some next week. I would expect a good bit of mud in the parking areas.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 9:15:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Even the furthest parking spots are not a terrible walk, maybe half a mile to the blacktop.

Watch the weather close leading up to the shoot, several times ive taken a corolla and been fine when its been dry all week.
Saturday and Sunday theres gonna be about 3/4 of an inch of rain
Right now wednesday and thursday are calling for showers too, total rainfall of about .25"

But there are people around to pull you out if you do get stuck.
Several years ago though I did see a half track get burried trying to get through the field to pull someone out lol.

Generally when people pull up in a car the guys directing you to the parking spots will try to put you in a decent spot if you dont have 4wd, but it is a bunch of grass fields so.
If you get there around mid day some of the morning folks are on the way out and there are scattered open spots all around.

Bring cash. there is no cell service or internet connection so your credit cards cant be used.
The ATM in the shop usually runs out of cash by Friday afternoon.

I usually bring a pair of hiking boots to walk around the show in, if it rains the gravel area all around gets pretty soupy. Its not nearly as bad now that the pole barn has concrete floors.

Biggest tip I can give is to bring a backpack to carry whatever you buy so you arent walking around with your hands full and making 10 trips back and forth to your vehicle.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 6:38:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for all the tips.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Even the furthest parking spots are not a terrible walk, maybe half a mile to the blacktop.

Watch the weather close leading up to the shoot, several times ive taken a corolla and been fine when its been dry all week.
Saturday and Sunday theres gonna be about 3/4 of an inch of rain
Right now wednesday and thursday are calling for showers too, total rainfall of about .25"

But there are people around to pull you out if you do get stuck.
Several years ago though I did see a half track get burried trying to get through the field to pull someone out lol.

Generally when people pull up in a car the guys directing you to the parking spots will try to put you in a decent spot if you dont have 4wd, but it is a bunch of grass fields so.
If you get there around mid day some of the morning folks are on the way out and there are scattered open spots all around.

Bring cash. there is no cell service or internet connection so your credit cards cant be used.
The ATM in the shop usually runs out of cash by Friday afternoon.

I usually bring a pair of hiking boots to walk around the show in, if it rains the gravel area all around gets pretty soupy. Its not nearly as bad now that the pole barn has concrete floors.

Biggest tip I can give is to bring a backpack to carry whatever you buy so you arent walking around with your hands full and making 10 trips back and forth to your vehicle.
View Quote

All of the above, but also for those of us that need them there is always shuttle buses running from the furthest parking lots, and its easy to catch a ride with any newly arrived person that thinks he might find a parking spot near the gate. I have a handicap parking placard and always get a spot up close and come and go all day with no fear of not finding another place upfront. There is also a constant flow of "mules" carrying people back and forth with purchases. You'll only have to walk if you are too proud to ask for a ride or too cheap to give a "mule" driver a couple of bucks as a tip for a ride. Ask and you shall receive. Don't ask and you shall walk. Cell phone and credit card service is slightly improved from years ago, but don't count on it. Have a cash back up or you will be disappointed. I have made that mistake many times or spent all my cash and had my credit cards fail.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#33]
The mud in the parking lot is always a potential problem. There are always tractors available to pull you out of the mud. I have needed to be pulled INTO parking spaces before. They just pulled me in and told me to tell them when I was ready to leave and they would pull me out. I did what they said and they pulled me out and I went home. I doubt that I was delayed more than 20 mins total with both tows. "The Creek" is usually either dusty or muddy and it can change from one to the other very quickly. Nobody gets stranded there. It's a little early to make any plans based on the weather.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 1:13:07 PM EDT
[#34]
I'll be making the drive tomorrow after work.  I'm sure it'll be a packed end of an era which I am a tad sad about.  It was always a great time to meet up with distant friends and maybe score a few things on the shopping list.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 8:50:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Based on today and tomorrow's rain, who wants to predict how bad the parking lots will be?
I really want to go for the last hurrah but think I am going to pass if it rains all day tomorrow too.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 10:09:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Based on today and tomorrow's rain, who wants to predict how bad the parking lots will be?
I really want to go for the last hurrah but think I am going to pass if it rains all day tomorrow too.
View Quote

I think soupy will be a good description.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 1:16:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I think soupy will be a good description.
View Quote

Soupy as in unpleasant, or soupy as in I would regret making a 9 hour drive in a VW Jetta?
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 1:47:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Can any one report on the current conditions in the camping area?
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 2:49:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Don't think I can post pics, but go to 1919a4.com open talk. In the "who's going to the creek" thread, near the end. There is a Pic from this morning of the campground. Pretty wet looking.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 3:32:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Don't think I can post pics, but go to 1919a4.com open talk. In the "who's going to the creek" thread, near the end. There is a Pic from this morning of the campground. Pretty wet looking.
View Quote

That looks pretty nasty.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 3:38:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That looks pretty nasty.
View Quote

real nasty.

definitely glad I will be in a 4wd. Feel sorry for the people in cars driving around in that.

ETA: another .25" about to fall right now and they are forecasting another 0.5" tomorrow. The tractors will be busy pulling people out I predict.

ETA2: pic of campground from 1919a4 as of this AM

Link Posted: 10/6/2021 3:44:06 PM EDT
[#42]
That's gonna be us, in a fwd suv. Non refundable room for Saturday night, cause of covid I guess. But it's the last shoot, keep telling my little girl we're going on a big adventure this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 10:20:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Going to be a fun adventure.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 8:45:40 AM EDT
[#44]
My first post since forever ago.

We are so sad this is ending. I got the camper hooked up and waiting on my kid to get home.  Should be there by mid afternoon.

Link Posted: 10/7/2021 9:08:13 AM EDT
[#45]
What time do the gates open to park Friday morning? I can't find it on the web page.  Tried calling, no answer.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 9:45:23 AM EDT
[#46]
That field looks a lot wetter than I expected. I think I usually end up close to pond, where the helicopter lands but, even that's probably mushy. Guess I'll get a "I got stuck in the mud at Knob Creek" story out of it. I've already got a "some idiot totaled my car on the highway parking zone" story. I'll chance the mud.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 12:08:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What time do the gates open to park Friday morning? I can't find it on the web page.  Tried calling, no answer.
View Quote

9:00, I think
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 3:17:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Bummer. I think that seals it for me. I have already attended my last Machine Gun Shoot at KCR.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 8:00:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Are there any food vendors at the event or do I need to pack in snacks?
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 8:03:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Are there any food vendors at the event or do I need to pack in snacks?
View Quote

There is food sold there.
Breakfast served inside in the AM.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top