There is food sold there.
Breakfast served inside in the AM.
View Quote

Perfect. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 8:36:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Soupy as in unpleasant, or soupy as in I would regret making a 9 hour drive in a VW Jetta?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think soupy will be a good description.

Soupy as in unpleasant, or soupy as in I would regret making a 9 hour drive in a VW Jetta?

Unpleasant. We forecast changed so we didn't have rain today. Things will dry out a little but all the cars are going to churn the lots into grass soup.  It's going to be a humid one.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 8:37:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

9:00, I think
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What time do the gates open to park Friday morning? I can't find it on the web page.  Tried calling, no answer.

9:00, I think

The show opens at 9. I think the front gate opens at 6:30 or 7.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 6:47:23 AM EDT
[#4]
About to head out the door.  Wondering how the prices will be in the vendor section?  I could use some Garand spare parts.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 7:15:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 7:19:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File

It's going to be swamped
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 8:37:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Still on Hwy 44 mile out and not moving.   Hope they don’t sell out. :).
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 8:56:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Still on Hwy 44 mile out and not moving.   Hope they don’t sell out. :).
View Quote

Right behind you. Or in front… this sucks.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 8:57:25 AM EDT
[#9]
2 miles out, traffic is stop and start. Let's hope there's enough space inside.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 9:18:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I’ve moved 1/10th of a mile in the past hour. Anyone at the venue with a sit rep?
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 9:52:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, I’m still in the road as well. This isn’t giving me confidence.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 10:31:14 AM EDT
[#12]
About 1000ft down weavers Rd.   Massive traffic.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 10:39:34 AM EDT
[#13]
I’m a bit worried they might start turning people away. They’ve got roads in 3 directions backed up for 5 maybe even 10 miles.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 10:43:21 AM EDT
[#14]
What time should I be there Saturday to get in and not be turned away.?
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 11:43:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Police shut down the entrance. If you're in line get out, can't get in now.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 11:46:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Yep. Got waived off at KY-44. Heading to the Patton Museum for now.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 11:52:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, lmpd turned me away as well. This sucks.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 1:07:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Are they not letting people park along the road anymore? Or are there so many cars parked on 44 that they aren't even letting people through?
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 1:16:34 PM EDT
[#19]
After seeing all posts about traffic backups and getting turned away, I'm really wondering how early I should get down there tomorrow morning to have a chance of getting in.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 1:22:19 PM EDT
[#20]
So some idiots parked on the exit road to the lower lot. No way to get out now. Already helped on truck get unstuck in lower lot. Raining now this place will be a mess.

There are hundreds of people in line just to pay for admission.    Most people I have ever seen here.  Crazy.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
After seeing all posts about traffic backups and getting turned away, I'm really wondering how early I should get down there tomorrow morning to have a chance of getting in.
View Quote

The picture BigJ72 posted at 7:19am is where you turn onto 44 from Dixie Highway.  That is over a mile of bumper to bumper stopped traffic before getting to the gates.  Are you going for the shoot or for the gun show?  With that level of traffic today, I have a feeling there will just be scrap and junk at the gun show tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 1:31:58 PM EDT
[#22]
That was crazy.  I drove down, got there at 9:30 local time, and after seeing traffic at a near standstill for 3 miles both ways, just came back home.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 2:19:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Just returned home and the traffic on HWY was backed up past Nichols School.  There was a Truck with a 16 foot trailer stuck in the lower lot and so both lanes were stopped.  They finally got him out and then help all traffic coming in due to folks parking on the sides of the road going to the lower lot.  They let out a bunch of us to open more parking, but there is no way there is enough parking for all the folks in traffic.  The line for tickets went all the way to the beginning of the upper lot and then the rain hit.

I found a several small Garand parts and a few 10 round pmags, but everything else was stupid prices.  Lots of uppers for sale M1 sales, RRA, Double Star were all there.   Wolf ammo for 7.62 x 39 or .223 was $400-$450 Range.  9mm was around $20 a box and most was higher.  Lots of 22 lr, but $50-$70 a brick.  I was hoping to get a ride in a Huey, but line was too long.

Great crowd and folks were friendly.  Saw one of the news choppers fly over head so we will see what the media says about everything.

Link Posted: 10/8/2021 4:53:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Drove 5 hours this morning and got in line at 8:45.  Made it to within .5 miles to 44 almost 2 hours later, decided it wasn't worth it, and drove 5 hours back home.  We'd been there multiple times before so figured we'd give up our spot and enjoy the memories of the past.  It was a nice day for a road trip and the pickup needed to stretch its legs anyway.  No regrets.  You guys have fun!
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 6:49:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Been wanting to make the trip Saturday morning but after reading this post I'm skeptical about making the trip unless I get there at 5am leaving at 3am. So no good deals at all?
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 8:19:01 PM EDT
[#26]
I can't say what will be there and what won't but normally the vendors have stuff they put out for each day. Prices were good on some stuff, not so good on others. But I'm glad I got to hear that mini gun one last time. I doubt I'll ever hear it in real life again. That in itself was worth the traffic.
Attachment Attached File

The line was like that around noon when I left, all the way back to the little brick shack near the bridge. Good luck and God Speed to all those going tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 9:16:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Been wanting to make the trip Saturday morning but after reading this post I'm skeptical about making the trip unless I get there at 5am leaving at 3am. So no good deals at all?
View Quote

There were good deals, but you had to look.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 10:57:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Got to the non-moving traffic at 10:30.  It took a little over two hours to turn left off Dixie and onto the road Knob Creek is on.  I stopped at a roadside vendor and counted cars and time.  It would take at least another hour to get to the entrance, so I turned around and came home...350 miles away.  The traffic heading north wasn't quite as bad. I'm guessing an hour to get in at the time we tried.

Talked with one guy who said the line to pay to get in was all the way back to the parking lot. He said there were at least 100 people waiting to get in. Someone in a post before this has a picture showing the line.

The area obviously had some significant precipitation.  Three different people warned me that smaller cars were all getting stuck and having to be towed out.  They said the parking lot was a mud hole.

I stopped at a gun show leaving town, about three miles north of the north line going to the shoot.  He told me he had to open his shop late because the traffic heading north was so bad and he was in the pass lane!  Several people gave him an update.  At least twice the shut down the parking lots because they were full and because of all the towing going on.  

I've never seen this before, but saw people walking up to two miles to get to Knob Creek.  

We tried going back about 4:00.  The line was better, but still was still bad. We just turned around and left.

We could have stayed for tomorrow.  But today was Friday and tomorrow is a weekend, the last day of the shoot.  We came home.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 11:16:51 PM EDT
[#29]
@SRRhodesia. Thanks for the update. I waited on Dixie for a few hours this morning to make the left onto KY-44. Right as I was getting to the intersection, the police shut down the turn and directed us south. I took a ride to the Patton museum and killed a few hours.

When I headed back north, I saw plenty of people parked on Dixie just south of KY-44. It looked sketchy and there was one fresh crash blocking the right lane. I passed on going and as I was heading north, I thought I saw some tents and what looked like an outdoor gun show/flea market. Is that the place you are talking about?

I’m trying to decide if going again tomorrow is worth the effort. I’m in town until Sunday so I might try again.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 11:25:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
@SRRhodesia. Thanks for the update. I waited on Dixie for a few hours this morning to make the left onto KY-44. Right as I was getting to the intersection, the police shut down the turn and directed us south. I took a ride to the Patton museum and killed a few hours.

When I headed back north, I saw plenty of people parked on Dixie just south of KY-44. It looked sketchy and there was one fresh crash blocking the right lane. I passed on going and as I was heading north, I thought I saw some tents and what looked like an outdoor gun show/flea market. Is that the place you are talking about?

I’m trying to decide if going again tomorrow is worth the effort. I’m in town until Sunday so I might try again.
View Quote

Yes, right as you turn right after going north on Dixie.  There are immediately a couple vendors who sold surplus.  They actually had some reasonably priced ammo cans.  On the north side of the road was someone who had a couple cases of ammo he was trying to sell. I didn't bother.

I figure it is going to be worse tomorrow, so we just came home.

What I didn't mention is I had to go back about 4:00 to pick someone up.  He was at those vendors right as you turn right, going north, or left, going south.  The traffic wasn't too bad.  But I counted where there had been four fresh wrecks that day, based upon the fresh piles of crash debris (such as lenses for lights or molding for cars).  Some of the debris was a real tire hazard!
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 11:38:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yes, right as you turn right after going north on Dixie.  There are immediately a couple vendors who sold surplus.  They actually had some reasonably priced ammo cans.  On the north side of the road was someone who had a couple cases of ammo he was trying to sell. I didn't bother.

I figure it is going to be worse tomorrow, so we just came home.

What I didn't mention is I had to go back about 4:00 to pick someone up.  He was at those vendors right as you turn right, going north, or left, going south.  The traffic wasn't too bad.  But I counted where there had been four fresh wrecks that day, based upon the fresh piles of crash debris (such as lenses for lights or molding for cars).  Some of the debris was a real tire hazard!
View Quote

Thanks. You’re not kidding about the wreck debris. I was telling someone about all of the wrecks that I saw littering the roads down here the past few days. I passed one on my way into town the other day. It was in the median with the doors open, hazard lights on and a baby seat sitting on the ground. It was surreal… like something from a zombie movie. Don’t they investigate and clear crashes here or are you on your own?
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 1:00:51 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm drunk in a tent here right now, sadly it my first and last knob Creek. It's been a hell of a good time, I want to make sure to get in line early to get a slot in the Huey, but I'm just too excited to get my ass to sleep. Thanks for the hospitality!
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 5:28:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Well I’m further than I got last time, hopefully I don’t get stuck in the mud.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 5:34:19 AM EDT
[#34]
530am and 44 is backed up to 31W
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 5:45:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Stuck at Jerry's liquor and line not moving
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 5:58:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Parking doesn’t open until 6. That seems to be the current issue.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 6:04:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Looks like a big drone circling over head
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 7:27:34 AM EDT
[#38]
I’m 7/10s of a mile from the gate. Hopefully I beat the po po this time!
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 8:04:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I’m 7/10s of a mile from the gate. Hopefully I beat the po po this time!
View Quote

I managed to get in and get a decent enough parking spot. They haven’t even opened the lower lot yet, just too big of a line. Hope you can make it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 8:39:13 AM EDT
[#40]
We made in and parked at about 730, decent spot up front, by the stuck Mercedes camper van ??
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 11:10:23 PM EDT
[#41]
I’m glad I stuck it out and tried again today. It was a fantastic time!Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 6:43:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Lined up at 5am Friday morning, glad I did.  With how nuts it was, I figured Saturday I better line up earlier.  Got in line at 4:30 and was parked outside in dang near the same place.

The crowds were huge with way too many people for me..
Got to be a pain to go through the aisles and dig for random parts.  Seemed like it brought a lot of people that came to fingerbang but not buy, even more so than usual.

That said, I'm glad I made the trip.  Sold off a fair amount of goods.  There were some deals to be had if you dug around.  Finally took a ride in the Huey on the first flight of the day.  Glad I did it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 6:53:02 AM EDT
[#43]
I’m sad to see it end. After they called off the last two shows, I knew this one was going to be insane with it being the Finale. Hopefully someone I the area will seize on the opportunity, and start another MG shoot.

I’ve been eyeballing the Lost River MG shoot in WV, but I don’t know if it’s even close to comparison…
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 7:21:59 AM EDT
[#44]
So we got back from Kentucky yesterday.  I’ve been going to the Knob Creek machine gun shoot on and off for over 20 years.  I expected a crowd but it was insane!  My wife and I got to the area Friday around 10:30am.  My usual route was 31 to KY-44.  Traffic was backed up on 31.  I’ve NEVER seen that!  GPS rerouted us through some back roads.  Got us closer but still about 2 miles away.  We waited an hour and a half and never got closer than 1 mile.  Found out the cops had closed the entrance due to capacity at 10:45am.

We ended up aborting that attempt and got some lunch.  Found this nice little hole in the wall catfish place.  Had a covered deck looking over a lake and the best damn catfish sandwich I’d ever had.  We were close enough to the creek we could here the explosions and the Huey flying around.  Based off news I was getting from forums we didn’t even try going back again.  Hit a nice winery up on a hill then went for some Italian after checking into the hotel.  All in all a nice road trip even though it wasn’t what we’d intended to do.  Disappointed I missed the “last” Knob Creek but I’d went so many times before that it’s no huge deal.  I’ve heard from some industry friends that there are negotiations going on for a group to take it over.  Guess we’ll see.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 9:11:58 AM EDT
[#45]
I have been going to KC since the late 80s have never seen a mess like what took place Friday. Was stopped at library on 44 both mornings with an hour wait to get in both days. Talking to Steve they had a big issue with finding help. Which was very evident with the lack of parking lot attendants or even anyone who knew anything about crowd control or parking vehicles. Sad to watch the mayhem lol.
All in all great time but Friday was a major shitshow in the show all your locals believe were there that buy jerky and clogged up the show so bad I started drinking by 10:30 am. Saturday in the show was normal until about 3 then came the raid for the night shoot. Gonna miss the end to an era.
The Sumners deserve a big Thank You for making a lot of things,memories and purchases happen to countless people in our community for all these years. I’m one of the old timers there and will never forget their sacrifice for making all this happen.
Thanks Kenny and Steve and family!!
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 11:18:53 AM EDT
[#46]
I did get in yesterday. We got down the around 6:45 in the morning. Traffic was already was backing up at the point so we ended up parking along the side of Weaver Road. It was around a mile walk to the ticket booth, not bad but we could easily gotten in but was worried about the backup that happened on Friday. I had really great time. It did get really packed in the afternoon. It’s a shame that it was the final show. The minigun at night was so cool. The red tracers that it was shooting looked a laser beam.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:51:23 PM EDT
[#47]
@blue303

Like this?  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Best I could do with the crowd. Glad I finally got to make it to one of these. It was worth the aggravation.

Link Posted: 10/11/2021 11:23:21 AM EDT
[#48]
That is exactly what I was talking about. I didn't get photos or videos of the final round of shooting. We were trying to beat the crowd out.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 9:24:21 PM EDT
[#49]
I’ve heard that another promoter is working on a deal, or already has it, to keep it going….at least once a year hopefully. I’ve been going there since the early 1990’s but I’ve missed the last 3 shows or so. Hopefully it’ll get going again.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 8:57:04 AM EDT
[#50]
On WDRB last night one of the family members hinted like they may do another shoot at some time.  I hope it wasn't the last one.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top