Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2005 7:26:19 AM EDT
e.g. AR pistol under heavy winter coat.........
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:37:13 AM EDT
[#1]
VCDL

Join.

It will be the best thing you've done as a new Virginian!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:06:34 AM EDT
[#2]
no limit as long as it's a pistol is my understanding.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:54:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

20 rounders or less I do believe.  Someone will come along and post the statute.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#4]
looks like you're good-to-go!

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

M. For purposes of this section:

"Handgun" means any pistol or revolver or other firearm, except a machine gun, originally designed, made and intended to fire a projectile by means of an explosion of a combustible material from one or more barrels when held in one hand.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:39:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I plan on doing an AR pistol at some point. I did a MAC 10 45 one winter. I made up a shoulder rig for it and I carried the 15 round mag with spare 30's on tap.

Should be pretty easy with an AR. I'll be doing the 7.5" and I'll use the sling attachment to pull against ala' Brit SAS style. Should give you a good firm platform and be able to align the sights or red dot.

I'm looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:43:57 AM EDT
[#6]
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=24&t=182363

First and foremost you will need a concealed weapon permit.  In Fairfax County that will be at least 90 ...45 days from time of application.

If you are to carry openly:

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded firearm on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public (i) in any city with a population of 160,000 or more or (ii) in any county having an urban county executive form of government or any county or city surrounded thereby or adjacent thereto or in any county having a county manager form of government. The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid permit to carry such firearm or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

For purposes of this section, "firearm" means any (i) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol which expels a projectile by action of an explosion and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine which will hold more than twenty rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (ii) shotgun with a magazine which will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered.

Any firearm carried in violation of this section may be forfeited to the Commonwealth pursuant to the provisions of § 18.2-310.

The exemptions set out in § 18.2-308 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this section.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:50:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Also, in regards to concealed carry, J3 in the first section of the link above is critical.  It deals with restaurants and bars.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:52:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

20 rounders or less I do believe.  Someone will come along and post the statute.

I believe this only applies to open carry.  If you have it concealed I believe you can carry a magazine with more, but it doesn't clearly state that in Anthony's link.

Also, if you had a 20rd mag and then took your "cover" off in Fairfax County you'd be guilty of a crime.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:56:08 AM EDT
[#9]
The key is "a feeding device holding no more than twenty rounds of ammunition at the time of offense".
VCDL has tested the open carry law here in Richmond and Richmond officers,Sheriffs Deputy's and even Magistrates did not realize it. They all thought it pertained to all firearms. evens in the officers abridged pocket guide to laws this sentence is left out!!!!
So, if you're going to carry an AR pistol watch the mag you put in it. Even if it is a 20 rounder if a cop can stuff 21 in it you broke the law.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:22:43 AM EDT
[#10]
wtf??? i am SO confused!!! so, as long as his ar pistol does NOT have a mag bigger than 20rds and it's concealed he's g2g? and open carry is now illegal?

and shivan, what did you mean by this?

QUOTE: "Also, if you had a 20rd mag and then took your "cover" off in Fairfax County you'd be guilty of a crime."

i thought we got rid of all these contradictory laws back in july!?!?!?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:44:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
First and foremost you will need a concealed weapon permit.  In Fairfax County that will be at least 90 days from time of application.

I thought it was 45 days?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:47:38 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
First and foremost you will need a concealed weapon permit.  In Fairfax County that will be at least 90 days from time of application.

his
"The court shall issue the permit within 45 days of receipt of the completed application unless it appears that the applicant is disqualified.  If the court has not issued the permit or determined that the applicant is disqualified within 45 days of the date of receipt noted on the application, the clerk shall certify on the application that the 45-day period has expired, and send a copy of the certified application to the applicant. The certified application shall serve as a de facto permit, which shall expire 90 days after issuance, and shall be recognized as a valid concealed handgun permit when presented with a valid government-issued photo identification  until the court issues a five-year permit or finds the applicant to be disqualified."
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:19:54 AM EDT
[#13]
well captain obvious, thanks for the heads up on the CCW permit....

And i do believe it's 45 days here in fairfax....

And I'm ITCHING to get some shooting done....
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:27:22 AM EDT
[#14]
popcorn - check
drink - check

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:41:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
wtf??? i am SO confused!!! so, as long as his ar pistol does NOT have a mag bigger than 20rds and it's concealed he's g2g? and open carry is now illegal?

The concealed statute does not address mag size.  The open carry statute does.

and shivan, what did you mean by this?

QUOTE: "Also, if you had a 20rd mag and then took your "cover" off in Fairfax County you'd be guilty of a crime."

i thought we got rid of all these contradictory laws back in july!?!?!?

Did you read the link I provided?  If so, the concealed law does not address mag capacity, the open carry law does.  If you have it concealed, apparently you are OK to have a higher than 20rd capacity mag.  If you are carrying in the open you are not.  I'm just reading.....you should too.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:42:24 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.....been awhile since I got mine -- clearly an error.  Mine was NOT 45 days...lots of people I know didn't have theirs in 45 days either -- but it wasn't 90 either.

YMMV.....
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:43:41 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
well captain obvious, thanks for the heads up on the CCW permit....

And i do believe it's 45 days here in fairfax....

And I'm ITCHING to get some shooting done....

Oh, my bad....I'm glad to see you know it all now.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:39:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Do i have to get paddled or something, or is this it....
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:52:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:30:31 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.....been awhile since I got mine -- clearly an error.  Mine was NOT 45 days...lots of people I know didn't have theirs in 45 days either -- but it wasn't 90 either.

YMMV.....

If you haven't received the CHP in 45 days the application becomes the defacto temporary permit  for 90 days.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:22:20 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
... Mine was NOT 45 days...lots of people I know didn't have theirs in 45 days either -- but it wasn't 90 either. ...

My understanding is that it’s 45 business days.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:57:05 AM EDT
[#23]
ok, thanks for the gouge. is it just me or all these laws so frigging confusing???

shiv, read all those links provided, gracias, but after awhile all that legalese just becomes this horrible white noise...
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:12:38 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... Mine was NOT 45 days...lots of people I know didn't have theirs in 45 days either -- but it wasn't 90 either. ...

My understanding is that it’s 45 business days.

Which, at a minimum, would be 61 days....I believe mine was around there.  I don't believe the law clarifies, but Fairfax will use every means they can to sandbag the issue.  I know people in counties who receive theirs in a matter of days.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:34:31 AM EDT
[#25]
FWIW, it took me exactly 30 calendar days to get my CHP from the City of Alexandria.  Aside from having to go to the police station on Mill Road to get fingerprinted between 1 and 3, it was pretty quick and easy.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:28:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Chapper,

Check out Packing.org. They have an excellent database of concealed carry laws for every state, and will even show you which states honor each other's permits. Good posts there most of the time too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top