Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/14/2005 3:47:50 PM EDT
This is an active forum.

Would you guys be interested in sharing the folks with FFLs that do reasonable tranfers?

If we get a good list going, and maybe have some of the FFLs themselves pointed to this thread -

We could get a sticky.

I live behind the corn curtain, and would still love to participate in lively trade.

I just have to get "off-campus", so to speak. (And that is where my .22 and .38 live...)

It would be wonderful to find like minded souls in a position to help in getting things bought and upgraded.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:56:52 PM EDT
[#1]
What part of Il are you in?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:42:15 PM EDT
[#2]
In Morrison, IL, Exner's Sportsman's Paradise is a great place to do transfers.

$20 is all it takes and the lady behind the counter is more than happy to help you out.

I used to do mine in Rock Falls, but the attitude of the FFL caused me to go elsewhere and I'm glad I did.

Morrison is only about 20 miles from my house, so it isn't a big drive for me, but I'm sure it would be completely out of the way for 9/10ths of the people that read this.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:07:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Will she do transfers on anything or only on items that don't come from her distributor?  I have friends in Morrison and only about 30-40 miles from me
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:58:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I would be interested in an FFL dealer in the western suburbs.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:09:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I would be interested in an FFL dealer in the western suburbs.

Me too.  I've used Greers in North Aurora, but last time I used him (2-4 years ago) he charged $47.00.

I tried to go through JRshooting sports, but as most here know, they are worse than sucky.  They sell AR's in their shop, so I called one day to ask if they would transfer a lower.  They said yes and that it was 10% of the purchase price.  So for a $100 lower, it was $10.   So I get to the store and the woman there says "we don't transfer AR lowers cause they are assault weapons." back in the days of the ban.  

So it would be nice to find a dealer that is reasonable.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:27:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Will she do transfers on anything or only on items that don't come from her distributor?  I have friends in Morrison and only about 30-40 miles from me

Yep.

I've had a pistol, an AR lower, 3 AK's and a stripped AK receiver transfered through her.

She never said a word about the 3 AK's and AK receiver that came through her. We recently got a milled receiver Norinco AK off gunbroker for $450 and when I told her that, she was like "Wow, that's a pretty good price on one with a milled reciever"

I thought that was funny

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:42:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The part the little dictator controls. You know, the guy that cannot speak well.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The part the little dictator controls. You know, the guy that cannot speak well.

Cant help you out then, but Hawk Arms in Monmouth will do them for twenty usually.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:52:10 PM EDT
[#9]
JD Firearms in Oak Lawn does it for $20.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:07:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I have found the Gun Doctor out in Roselle to be the best in this area at $38 per gun. They don't care if the gun is new or used or evil looking.
www.gundr.com/oldindex.asp

I've also had good luck with Mike at Village Sports in Arlington Heights. But he can be kinda goofy and won't always do transfers. He does usually run some good deals, like 10% over cost. Also he gets some pretty cheap beat up used guns in there. Best way to handle him is to ask him to get a price for you and then mention you found it somewhere else for less. I don't recall his transfer fee but it's not that bad. You gotta use your kid gloves with him.

Maxon in Desplaines is a rip off for transfers-- $50 on used or hard to find guns only. If you want to transfer out, it's $50 + shipping. New guns that they stock or guns from CDNN will get you a $100 transfer fee.

There are a couple dealers on here that charge less, maybe they will chime in.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:28:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Check with your local pawn shops. If they buy or trade friearms, (most of them do) they are an FFL and many will do transfers, and since they don't sell new guns they aren't bitchy about things bought on Gun Broker or CDNN. Mine charges a reasonable $20.00 for any transfer long arm or handgun as long as they come from a valid FFL.

DuxRus
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:04:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I have had Mike Sipes handle several transfers for me. He charges $25. I dont have his contact info handy but you can look him up on www.gunsamerica.com. He is a transfer dealer for Eagle Firearms, Century and several others. He works out of Aurora
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:57:17 PM EDT
[#13]
A good source for FFL transfers is found at the following link...

www.gunbroker.com/User/DealerNetwork.asp

Most of the dealers list their charges.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:09:20 AM EDT
[#14]
One of the RO's at the Buffalo Range named Ron is a gunsmith and an FFL. Here is a link to his web site and shop rates. He does good work and transfers at a resonable rate.
Leber's Custom Shop
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:51:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Guys, I need some help here. I have a fantastic deal on a gun I have had my eye on for a long time. I need an FFL to do the transfer at a reasonable cost in NE Ill. The gun is out of state private seller.

I tried Gun Doctor, but he is one of those under the impression that the gun cannot be shipped to him directly from the seller, but must go through an FFL. My guy doesn't want to do that, and I don't blame him. The extra fees and liabilities are not worth it for something the law doesn't require.

If anyone has someone that they use that is trustworthy, knowledgable, reasonable, and does not dislike EBR's and city folk, please let me know ASAP. I don't mind driving too far from the lake for the right service.

Many thanks. Please help me get my gun.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:18:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:24:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks C.C. , looks like they are open Sunday, I will give him a call.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:21:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Question:

As it is legal for me to purchase a long arm in any state as long as I do it in person, with a local FFL, and it is a legal purchase in the local juristiction, and conforms to my state's law (think FOID in Indiana + Ill waiting period) - can I have a Indiana based FFL do a transfer for me if I am from Illinois and have a FOID?

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:14:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:43:37 AM EDT
[#20]
So you guys know, GAT will not do transfers for interstate individual to individual purchases either.

They will not send a copy of their FFL to anyone but another dealer.

Looks like it is easier to make a list of those that don't know the law, or make up their own ways of preventing you from buying a gun than it is to find those that want to help customers.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#21]
C.C.

PK will only do transfers from dealers. They will not provide FFL to a non-dealer.

I am seeing a trend here, and not a good one.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:15:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:41:44 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
C.C.

PK will only do transfers from dealers. They will not provide FFL to a non-dealer.

I am seeing a trend here, and not a good one.

Check your IMs.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:20:41 PM EDT
[#24]
I found this guy on gunbroker, but have never been to his place or transfered anything through him.  I did email him one time and asked what his fees were, and apparently if you win a gunbroker auction, it's $25, other transfers being $35.  I don't think he is open every day, and his hours are limited, and if I remember correctly, a lot of his business is transfers.

H&R Sales and Service
4015B Roberts Rd.
Island Lake, IL 60042

(847)487-4885

email:  [email protected]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:25:44 PM EDT
[#25]
gusto enterprises in batavia
allen saflarski
reasonable $$$
good guy
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:51:12 PM EDT
[#26]
HEY FOLKS

here is a great guy in Glendale Heights, IL

Mark Lewis
MPLARMS

[email protected]

His transfer rates are very resonable and he will work his network to find you the right gun at the right price.

I have done all my transfers with him.  

As well you may want to check him out for your next AR!!

old-lefty
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:37:27 AM EDT
[#27]
I used Gun Dr for an AR off of Gunbroker and it was no problem.  I am in the middle of a transfer for a 1911 off of gunbroker, and am using Gun Dr.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Gun Dr seemed to be a bit high priced compared to some of the others listed on GB site, but when I don't know the FFL I would rather use a storefront than some person working out of their home.

I don't see why gun stores in general aren't more friendly to transfers, it seems like an easy $30 to me.

Also what FFL have you guys used for CDNN?  I need one of those $399 Hi Powers.  I am going to ask Gun Dr about it when I go in to fill out the 4473.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Nate,

I'm one of the home FFL's you are leery about.  I've had my license since 1984, and cop's are primarily my clientele.

I've been a CDNN customer for 15 year's.  Let me know what you want.  Contact me at [email protected].

Regards,
MPL
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:52:39 PM EDT
[#29]
MPL:

As you are the first home FFL to post, what is your take on sending a copy to a non-FFL?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:48:34 PM EDT
[#30]
I've used The Outdoorsman in Winthrop Harbor for my CETME. $30 Rifle Fee + IL $Tax on the purchase :(.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:08:40 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Nate,

I'm one of the home FFL's you are leery about.  I've had my license since 1984, and cop's are primarily my clientele.

I've been a CDNN customer for 15 year's.  Let me know what you want.  Contact me at [email protected].

Regards,
MPL

Are you in the Chicago area? What's your fee? You up for transferring one of this year's ar15.com special edition black rifles? EdSr. wants copies of the FFL's so he can ship out all 300 w/o having to try to verify everyone's FFL is legit by other means.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:29:52 AM EDT
[#32]
HP Shooting in McHenry does it for $25.  You have to go in and fill out a form first.   D&J in Lakemoor does it for $35.

Good places to go if you live in the far north.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:01:11 AM EDT
[#33]
MCS Firearms
1495 Springhill Dr.
Algonquin, IL 60102

847/458-9500

Call Paul

$20 per transfer.

Great guy.
used many times.

rgds,
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:33:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Daves Guns in Bethalto, IL 618-377-2288. He charges 12.50 I think. I used him once earlier this year.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:04:00 PM EDT
[#35]
NsC,
Sorry for the delay....
  Last inspection it was "hinted" *wink*wink, that a d/l or state ID was requested for transfers, from non FFL's.
  I have no problem this, nor should anyone.
   If you buy a WEAPON from a private party, you need to cover your a$$.
Scenario...Joe hates Bob
               Joe shoots Bob
               Bob goes buh-buy
               Joe sells gun on_______( fill in blank)
               Bill buy's gun online
               Bill got deal.....jump's for joy
               Bill get's in accident on the way home from the range, nobody hurt, but police are there
               Bill is asked if there is any alcohol or drugs or guns in the vehicle....
               Bill say's yes.....  
               Police find gun....match to murder weapon...Joe skates...Bil is F&*#@$
               Bill goes to A$$ pound jail....till they find Joe....BTW...IF the find Joe

A D/l, State Issued ID is looking pretty good right now. isn't it?

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:35:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Granted,
I suggested a "worst case'....But that is why they want it.
  Leave your "conspiracy/anti 2nd" sh@t " at the door...All they want is the chain of ownership

Weapon in posession of .....A
Sent to .............................B
Received  by .....................C

Pretty simple in my world....If you are afraid to provide this to an OOS, (out of state)  FFL, what are you hiding?
Buy one on-line from someone who won't......good luck.....

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:29:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Thank you sir.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:00:04 PM EDT
[#38]
apparently the truth isn't allowed here when it's unpopular
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:44:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:57:07 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Personal attacks aren't allowed on the site. If you want to share the truth, do it without attacking other members here.

It wasn't a personal attack.  I have no interest in pissing contests.   I just call it like I see it.  The way I figure it, if the shoe fits....wear it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:34:57 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Personal attacks aren't allowed on the site. If you want to share the truth, do it without attacking other members here.

It wasn't a personal attack.  I have no interest in pissing contests.   I just call it like I see it.  The way I figure it, if the shoe fits....wear it.

Well the way the rest of us figure it, if it doesn't involve you or you don't have anything helpful to contribute, stay out of it. And if that shoe fits, then wear it. YMMV
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:27:49 AM EDT
[#42]
+1 for Gun Dr. in Roselle...though still a bit high ($38) for each firearm, they do not care what kind of firearm it is or resembles. They will not however accept a firearm from a private party. They claim it's too risky. I also agree that the guy Arlington Heights Sporting Goods is a bit "different". Had a DW 1911 I bought from GB and he clearly would have rather I'd a bought it through him. Pretty easy 40 bucks I figure but I guess some of the FFL's would rather sell the firearm than just do the transfer.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:09:49 PM EDT
[#43]

Well the way the rest of us figure it, if it doesn't involve you or you don't have anything helpful to contribute, stay out of it. And if that shoe fits, then wear it. YMMVhinking.gif

I'm glad you can speak for, "the rest of us."   Since previously you had a valid arguement that this post didn't involve me, nor did I have anything to contribuite, I'll play,  just to piss you off.

My FFL:

Lost in the Hills Gun Shop, Marseilles, Illinois
Wayne Long
[email protected]
815-795-5449

Transfer fee, $20

This guy is cool.  He does a LOT of transfers so he doesn't mind at all. Nicest guy you'll ever meet.  He's a combat hardened soldier from Vietnam, Combat Medic, etc.  He'll take care of you, with no hassles.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:44:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Tim I wasn't picking on you. I just couldn't see anywhere in this thread anything that remotely resembled the truth not being popular.  Your first post in the thread didn't offer much except that phrase, and on its face, appeared to be trolling. I don't have a "regular" FFL who transfers for me, because I haven't bought guns from out of state. Of course this is changing this year, as I've got myself lined up to probably get one of the SEBR's. I'm looking for a .50 bmg, also. So a good, reliable FFL is what I'm looking for.

Your FFL seems like a stand up guy. What town's he in?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:15:44 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Tim I wasn't picking on you. I just couldn't see anywhere in this thread anything that remotely resembled the truth not being popular.

Your FFL seems like a stand up guy. What town's he in?

My first post said something different entirely.  It was deemed a personal attack so when I edited it, I changed it to what it says now.  Probably should have deleted it entirely but I didn't like the suggestion that I was going to join the band with less than 10 posts.

Above post edited to give the location.  He's in Marseilles, Illinois.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:55:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Thanks Tim,

Marseilles is a little farther than I want to drive, though. There's a local shop that'll do it for $40. It'd cost me the difference in time & gas to drive to Marseilles. Any members here happen to have FFL's and willing to do transfers for a fee, ought to post something here in the HTF.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:34:32 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I found this guy on gunbroker, but have never been to his place or transfered anything through him.  I did email him one time and asked what his fees were, and apparently if you win a gunbroker auction, it's $25, other transfers being $35.  I don't think he is open every day, and his hours are limited, and if I remember correctly, a lot of his business is transfers.

H&R Sales and Service
4015B Roberts Rd.
Island Lake, IL 60042

(847)487-4885

Hey, that guy is right by my house.  Very small shop with very limited hours.  Nice guy when I talked to him.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:44:33 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

H&R Sales and Service
4015B Roberts Rd.
Island Lake, IL 60042

(847)487-4885

Hey, that guy is right by my house.  Very small shop with very limited hours.  Nice guy when I talked to him.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:52:16 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Thanks Tim,

Marseilles is a little farther than I want to drive, though. There's a local shop that'll do it for $40. It'd cost me the difference in time & gas to drive to Marseilles. Any members here happen to have FFL's and willing to do transfers for a fee, ought to post something here in the HTF.

It's right by buffalo...just combine trips.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:51:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top