Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2022 6:06:11 PM EDT
Didn't see this one coming.  I'm my cousin's executor and we talked plenty about what to do when he kicks the bucket (fuck prostate cancer, especially). Somehow, we never considered him stroking out and needing a nursing home before the end, which is exactly what happened last night.

He's in GJ and I'm in Longmont. Anyone have any recommendations for - or warnings against - any nursing homes in either area?
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 6:40:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Didn't see this one coming.  I'm my cousin's executor and we talked plenty about what to do when he kicks the bucket (fuck prostate cancer, especially). Somehow, we never considered him stroking out and needing a nursing home before the end, which is exactly what happened last night.

He's in GJ and I'm in Longmont. Anyone have any recommendations for - or warnings against - any nursing homes in either area?
View Quote

I'll be doing some maintenance at one of the nursing homes in GJ next week, but I'm not sure that qualifies me to make a recommendation.  Happy to help, though, if I can.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 11:33:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Much obliged. I'm leaning strongly towards getting him closer to me instead, but I'm still in the early stages of wrapping my head around it all so I'll take whatever input I can get.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 3:51:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Nuts!  Everyone I know who is in a nursing home/assisted living center gets the clot shot.  I can't recommend any nursing home that makes it mandatory.

You might want to look at what FluffytheCat posted about cancer.  It's not terribly expensive either:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Cancer-and-fenbendazole/5-2528794/
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 2:30:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Much obliged. I'm leaning strongly towards getting him closer to me instead, but I'm still in the early stages of wrapping my head around it all so I'll take whatever input I can get.
View Quote

KeithC - so sorry to hear about your cousin's health issues.  It's none of my business, but has he been given any sort of time table or prognosis that would make him want to stay in the fight?  This will have an impact on what he and you decide to do, what location will be best for him and when these decisions will need to be made.

We just went through this with a family member (Mike) who passed-on last Wednesday, Feb 9, after battling stage-4 brain cancer for 3 months.   At the beginning of this 3-month period, our daughter and son-in-law moved in with Mike at his apartment, provided transportation to the hospital for chemo / radiation, helped with meals, etc.  

When Mike's condition and mobility started declining, they brought in a home-health nurse several hours per day, 2-3 days each week to help with Mike.  As Mike's condition deteriorated further a decision had to be made to continue using home healthcare or move to a nursing home.  Mike ended up staying at home, with both our daughter and son-in-law, and a hospice nurse with Mike on a daily basis for the last two weeks he was with us.  Mike passed-on peacefully at home, in no pain, with the two people he loved the most, at his bedside.

Afterwards, our daughter shared with us that one of the hardest things for her and her husband to do was have that tough conversation with Mike about where he wanted to be during this whole process.  They were afraid it would upset Mike and make him want to give up.  She said once they had the conversation, Mike was at peace with it.

Don't know if this helped at all, but our prayers are with you and your cousin, that he finds peace in both body and spirit.

Link Posted: 2/17/2022 5:00:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Ask the doctors you know.

I went through this with getting Ma into assisted living with memory care and skilled nursing.  All the doctors named one specific place as where they'd put their own family.  We found that pretty helpful information.  (It's in northern Utah, so the name is of no use here.)
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 5:01:24 PM EDT
[#6]
From my limited experience, if you go the route of a nursing home, find one close to you and try to stop by often.  I think people are taken better care of when others (friends / family, etc.) stop in often.  Take a look around the facilities.  If things look neglected, so will the level of care (imho).
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From my limited experience, if you go the route of a nursing home, find one close to you and try to stop by often.  I think people are taken better care of when others (friends / family, etc.) stop in often.  Take a look around the facilities.  If things look neglected, so will the level of care (imho).
View Quote

Troof.  My buddy got his mother into a public nursing home.  He dropped off stuff (cakes, candy) all the time for the nurses and his mother said they always took care of her.
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 5:20:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Guys, I appreciate the responses and apologize for dropping offline.  It's been a hard and busy few days, and the nursing home question has become moot - my cousin's now in a hospice facility.  Prostate cancer, spread to his bones (CT scan turn up some in his skull), stroke that left him unable to speak, and then a heart attack.  Initially he was able to swallow, but he's made it pretty clear that he's done - has refused food, water, and even ice chips for several days now, refuses to engage with any of the docs or nurses.  At least I was able to get a smirk and a few chuckles out of him while I was visiting.

I thought I was prepared with life insurance, then wills, then trusts for the kids.  Lesson learned - now I need to look into long-term care insurance, too.  I always had it in my head that I'd "just go until I die someday."  Doesn't always work that way, though.  And ending up too damaged to avoid needing care but too well to die is a pretty shitty spot to be in, especially if it could drag on for years.  Woof.

Anyway, thanks again.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 11:28:20 AM EDT
[#9]
KeithC - appreciate the update.  And thank you for reaching out.  Your questions and the follow-on replies may well help someone else start thinking and making decisions about something none of us want to go through.  I'm praying for your cousin's outcome to be swift, and much needed peace.  He is lucky to have you at his side.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top