BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:32:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Christie is sending the New Jersey National Guard here to Florida.  

I wonder how much of our laws they understand or want to understand.
View Quote
We don't need no stinkin yankee guard here . Us bubba's can handle things .
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:37:25 AM EDT
[#2]

Winds down to 130. That's quite a drop since the upgrade to Cat 5 before I went to sleep last night. 

A little concerned that when it hooks north and crosses the Florida Straits it'll pick back up.

You west coast guys hang in there. Wrap up everything today ASAP. 
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:50:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually worry about Christie sending them here.

Louisiana folks had big problems with out of state police and guard who were too damned heavy handed with the citizens, and prone to manhandle the locals and confiscate their guns during Katrina's aftermath.

IIRC there were problems with state troopers or highway patrol sent in from California,  and out of state guard units possibly from NJ.

While we know our laws, I'm betting that they don't, and even if they do, they don't care.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:54:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Louisiana folks had big problems with out of state police and guard who were too damned heavy handed with the citizens, and prone to manhandle the locals and confiscate their guns during Katrina's aftermath.

IIRC there were problems with state troopers or highway patrol sent in from California,  and out of state guard units possibly from NJ.

While we know our laws, I'm betting that they don't, and even if they do, they don't care.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't see it happening.

Just way too many gun owners in this state. 

We have laws specifically for such events. Not impossible, just extremely unlikely IMO.

I think this is a far bigger threat.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:00:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

We have laws specifically for such events. Not impossible, just extremely unlikely IMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Laws don't mean SHIT if the people "enforcing" the law don't know them or don't care about them.   Do you REALLY see a bunch of NJ cops or Guard guys getting extensive briefings on Florida firearms laws?  It's a culture clash of major proportions.

I could easily see a bunch of bullet-headed thugs from up north acting like Gestapo.  It's all about control, yo.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:16:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Laws don't mean SHIT if the people "enforcing" the law don't know them or don't care about them.   Do you REALLY see a bunch of NJ cops or Guard guys getting extensive briefings on Florida firearms laws?  It's a culture clash of major proportions.

I could easily see a bunch of bullet-headed thugs from up north acting like Gestapo.  It's all about control, yo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, we're about to find out who's right here. 
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:24:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Just great. Like we need this shit?

Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:46:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
They better brief them about likely getting shot in the face by FL Man for trying to pull some BS.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:07:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Until it makes that turn north, I'm not convinced of anything, but I agree. The path crossed my roof at one point.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT11/refresh/AL112017_5day_cone_with_line_and_wind+png/214634_5day_cone_with_line_and_wind.png
View Quote
crossing my roof now 
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:14:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
I seem to remember a bunch of California Highway Patrol Troopers beating the crap out of an elderly lady in her Louisiana home  after Katrina because she didn't want to leave her home or hand over her revolver to them.

IIRC, out of state guard and police forced folks to evacuate their homes by means of the excessive use of force.

If I was ordered to evacuate I would, but Governor Scott indicated that "mandatory" evacuation does not equal "forced" evacuation, though those who stayed would be bereft of any emergency services.

Our gun laws preclude the confiscation of firearms during an emergency, but who are you going to call when some out of state authorities choose to do what they're used to doing?

They need to be briefed to expect law abiding and legally armed citizens everywhere, rather than how things are in their own  states where the possession of a firearm by an ordinary citizen sets them off.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:20:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Preps finalized to the nnnnnnnnth detail.  tick tock tick tock
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 12:09:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Fairly rural area here. I don't expect to see any NG unless going into town .  People in the urban areas are going to have some contact with them most likely.

ETA. I think governor Scott is doing a great job. Glad I voted for him twice.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 1:07:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah I'm tired of waiting . Lets get it on and get it over with .
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 1:23:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Our LEO's are indoctrinated by their higher ups who are indoctrinated by our politicians.  Many do believe in the 2nd amendment but you have those who do don't care.  Who do you think they will send down?  I hope it's not the latter.  

God bless and we pray that you, your families and property are kept safe through Irma.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 1:57:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Irma now on Key West Radar until power goes out.
Irma clearing the north coast Cuba Now.

Key West Radar
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 2:10:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Agreed.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 2:11:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Irma now on Key West Radar until power goes out.
Irma clearing the north coast Cuba Now.

Key West Radar
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 2:47:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just great. Like we need this shit?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/266317/IMG_0013-301472.JPG
View Quote
Sharks on a motherfucking hurricane!?! 
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 3:03:44 PM EDT
[#19]
looking at a Cat 2 over Cedar Key Monday morning.  Same in St Augustine.  I have never seen a hurricane like this one, and I have seen a ton of them.   Over 70 years old, and this one is as big a strorm as I have seen.
I am hearing that in Gainesville, (I live north in a more rural setting) cat 2 winds are a distinct possibility, along with heavy rain.  I have done all I can do.   Preps always up to date, don't need groceries or gas,  just some good luck and a prayer or two.   :)
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 3:28:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
looking at a Cat 2 over Cedar Key Monday morning.  Same in St Augustine.  I have never seen a hurricane like this one, and I have seen a ton of them.   Over 70 years old, and this one is as big a strorm as I have seen.
I am hearing that in Gainesville, (I live north in a more rural setting) cat 2 winds are a distinct possibility, along with heavy rain.  I have done all I can do.   Preps always up to date, don't need groceries or gas,  just some good luck and a prayer or two.   :)
View Quote
2PM NHC has Irma @24 &36 Hour Fix  140MPH
HolyShit.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 4:25:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 5:17:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey guys - you're all in the family's thoughts and prayers, especially my friends in SWFL.  Hunker deep and if able, let us know what we can do to help.  Wife and I are looking to start a truck load of stuff from church tomorrow for the Naples/Fort Myers crew.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 5:25:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hey guys - you're all in the family's thoughts and prayers, especially my friends in SWFL.  Hunker deep and if able, let us know what we can do to help.  Wife and I are looking to start a truck load of stuff from church tomorrow for the Naples/Fort Myers crew.
View Quote
Good to hear from you Charlie...We are hunkered down for the ride.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 5:40:54 PM EDT
[#24]
MPO This is going to go farther west then is currently predicted.  I don't think the front is strong enough to push it north just yet.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 6:37:12 PM EDT
[#25]
SE FL people are never going to take the next one seriously...Not after this mess.  A week of it coming its coming...all that hype, & it goes west. Not even in the cone any longer....  still sucks for the west coast though
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 6:47:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
SE FL people are never going to take the next one seriously...Not after this mess.  A week of it coming its coming...all that hype, & it goes west. Not even in the cone any longer....  still sucks for the west coast though
View Quote
We don't usually do much unless it's over a 2. This has been a 5 longer than any storm I can remember. The cone of death is a probability of the eye making landfall. There will be plenty of damage throughout sefl to remind people that hurricanes suck and being prepared is important.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:05:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:06:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My TV just issued a Tornado warning for us.
View Quote
Same here in Boynton when some bad cells passed over minutes ago.

A bit earlier a tornado was filmed in Broward, at Lauderdale By The Sea.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:01:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Checking in from NW Polk county (Kathleen area). We have plenty of water, Gatorade, food, ice, full tanks of gas, power equipment..etc.

But I must confess that we are afraid. We prepped well and are hoping for the best. Good luck fellas. Stay safe.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:03:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:24:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Everything is secured. Shutters and plywood up, shit tied down, and pantries stocked. Vehicles, jerry cans, and gennie gassed up. Emergency evac location is set up (secure structure other if storm forecast is major strength). Even got coke for Cuba Libres, Orange juice for screwdrivers, etc.....

Tomorrow is a fine day of hurry up and wait. 
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:24:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Hey guys - you're all in the family's thoughts and prayers, especially my friends in SWFL.  Hunker deep and if able, let us know what we can do to help Sent you homemade salsa .  Wife and I are looking to start a truck load of stuff from church tomorrow for the Naples/Fort Myers crew what about the Venice/Englewood crew?
View Quote
call me tomorrow!! funny stories
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:35:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:05:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

We had one touch down a little south from me. A nice band just passed over. I'm surprised I still have power after that band.
View Quote
We lost power around 8pm for a few seconds then the FPL breaker tried to reset but shut down again after a few seconds.

Unincorporated suburban West Boynton Beach  in the agri-zone just west of the turnpike.

20 minutes later power is back on but for how long?

This dance hasn't even started yet.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:28:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Everything is secured. Shutters and plywood up, shit tied down, and pantries stocked. Vehicles, jerry cans, and gennie gassed up. Emergency evac location is set up (secure structure other if storm forecast is major strength). Even got coke for Cuba Libres, Orange juice for screwdrivers, etc.....

View Quote
PERSEC aside, you or family in need, hit me up.  We can coordinate.  Stay safe brother, prayers out.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:28:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
We lost power around 8pm for a few seconds then the FPL breaker tried to reset but shut down again after a few seconds.

Unincorporated suburban West Boynton Beach  in the agri-zone just west of the turnpike.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had one touch down a little south from me. A nice band just passed over. I'm surprised I still have power after that band.

The grid is embarrassingly fragile. 

Is is this just an area with zero technological advances?
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:39:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The grid is embarrassingly fragile. 

Is is this just an area with zero technological advances?
View Quote
$$$
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:34:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
tell us how long you have lived down here...will give us a clue on your advice
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:47:13 PM EDT
[#40]
NMB heRe.

The one band that hit us at 8 got our power off three times but back up quick each time.

At least one of those is a local line down.  Rerouted quick tho thank g-d.

Prayers out for West coast.

Calm here now.  Fun starts in. Few hours peaking at 2pm I believe?
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:52:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
PERSEC aside, you or family in need, hit me up.  We can coordinate.  Stay safe brother, prayers out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:59:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Just after putting everything up today.

Everything this evening all secure and yard cleaned to debris.

Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:44:46 PM EDT
[#43]
The Weather Channel broadcast footage of power going out in Key West, and the eye is just barely off the Cuban coast.

Good luck to everyone, especially if you're riding it out.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 12:19:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 12:45:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 12:54:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 3:03:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

tell us how long you have lived down here...will give us a clue on your advice
View Quote
yes i was hit with Wilma & that mess to
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 4:49:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Severe tornado alerts, including automated calls from the PBC Dept of Public Safety,  on and off all night here in West Boynton Beach.

My wife and I both have family up and down the west coast in the current projected path.

None of us, wherever we are located in the state, will be ignoring the next hurricane simply because they got lucky as I pray we all will.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 5:20:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:25:50 AM EDT
[#50]
sounds like Baghdad 2003 here.

Every few minutes another transformer starts popping off.

Across the street the next blocks wires were spewing fireworks for three straight minutes up and down the whole block till they flamed up and finally snapped.  No fire thank-g-d.

If was intense.   Arcing lightning for a hundred feet easy along the whole length.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top