Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/30/2010 6:32:51 PM EDT
Hey all,

Just thought I would post up some pics of what I am working on. Needing a secure lockable container to store my very small collection of weapons and ammo, I started to save my pennies(actually I have been saving for about 8 months now) but you know how that goes. Water heater goes to shit, Car needs tires, braces.... Anyway I got tired of not having anything other than a old anvil case(the kind that hold concert amps) protecting my stuff so I began looking for a cheap alternative till my Safe fund came to fruition. Again this is only to keep my three boys away from dad's guns. I have no delutions of keeping would be theives out for hours as they pound helplessly against it hardened shells. Just keep the kids out.

About two weeks ago I started looking and found this.

Home depot has them for $259.

Originally I thought I would just paint it and finish out the interior to hold my rifles and handguns(again this is until I have the bank roll for the real deal).  
But I have recently rethought that plan and have decided to change it around a bit. Looking to end up with a finished storage container that looks like this.

The above box has been flipped on it's side with the feet having been cut off and rewelded to the new bottom(old side). This will allow me to not loose to much floor space and store the rifles upright. I have thought about fire board inside the box but I think the time and money would be better spent saving for the real deal. Also I do want to install some type of light(cheap) inside the box.

Keeping in mind that this is a stop gap measure what else should I do to it?

Link Posted: 1/30/2010 7:28:05 PM EDT
[#1]
You got to do what you got to do - that will keep the boys out.
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 10:08:36 PM EDT
[#2]
How will you keep them from opening the door?
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 11:50:41 PM EDT
[#3]
The box is meant for job site tool storage. It uses two number 5 Master lock padlocks.
They install into recesses built into the front of the box. The only portion that is visable is where the key goes in.

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 12:37:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a former friend who does something similar for ammo storage. It should work well until you can get a legitimate safe. Kudos for protecting your little ones.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 2:21:58 AM EDT
[#5]
You can pick up halfway decent safes for $200 and up. Just keep an eye out for sales at the big box stores.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 8:22:47 AM EDT
[#6]
No safe for $200 is halfway decent. I bet his job box has thicker steel than most the entry level safes out there.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 8:40:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No safe for $200 is halfway decent. I bet his job box has thicker steel than most the entry level safes out there.

Agreed.

For a "decent" safe, you should expect to spend at least $1K - $1.3K...and that's for something "low-end decent".

The job box is a practical stop-gap measure while the OP saves his $$$...

ETA: SUMMIT SAFE "CASCADE" SPECS...

A SC18 or SC25 should fit the bill quite nicely...

I really like Summit Safes...I got a "Teton Edition" (Discontinued model...) ST23 on clearence from a local dealer for $800 OTD last Spring. Not quite up to "Cascade" specs but too good of deal to pass up. I'm already out of room in it and will be getting a "Cascade" or better this Fall when I can save more $$$...

I'm going to pass the "Teton" on to my Brother-In-Law, who has three small kids that he needs to start keeping things out of reach of...

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 12:36:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

this is true. i have three of this same box (and six like it) and they all are much stronger than the stack on safe that has my reloading stuff in it. keep saving for the safe that you need later. untill then, keep your guns well oiled.

edit- +1 on the summit. i have a denalli and it is a good safe. see the safe pics pg 4 for it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:00:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You need to shop around a little more thoroughly then. Walmart had Sentry 10 gun Safes for $199. They had 1/8" thick steel and a "regular" dial safe locking mechanism with 6-8 1" locking pins on the doors. Are they fireproof and all that...no. Would they keep a determined thief out...no but neither would ANY safe. They were a great safe for someone with a small collection. I think they were an outstanding value and if I ever see them near that price again I am going to buy one.

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I have been rethinking my plan to stand it up on its side. If I do I will loose all the storage under the rifles. Can't afford to loose that extra space.
So I will finish lining it on the inside and dial in the paint.

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 9:07:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need to shop around a little more thoroughly then. Walmart had Sentry 10 gun Safes for $199. They had 1/8" thick steel and a "regular" dial safe locking mechanism with 6-8 1" locking pins on the doors. Are they fireproof and all that...no. Would they keep a determined thief out...no but neither would ANY safe. They were a great safe for someone with a small collection. I think they were an outstanding value and if I ever see them near that price again I am going to buy one.

I sell gun safes for a living. I am pretty up to date on how almost all safes are built, who sells what, and how much it is.

I popped open one of those sentry safes with a huge flat blade screwdriver and a hammer in less than 2 minutes a few weeks back (owner was locked out). That job box would be a lot harder to pry open. It costs more to drill a sentry and replace the lock than the safe costs usually. What gave you the idea that the body was 1/8" thick? All those sentry safes have 12 gauge and 14 gauge bodies. All the internals in the door are made of plastic also. Sentry Does not make a decent safe. Granted the job box has no fire protection, its still more pry and cut security than a sentry is. Also, the sentry safes dont have any fire protection that would actually protect the contents in a real house fire.
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 2:27:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sell gun safes for a living. I am pretty up to date on how almost all safes are built, who sells what, and how much it is.

I popped open one of those sentry safes with a huge flat blade screwdriver and a hammer in less than 2 minutes a few weeks back (owner was locked out). That job box would be a lot harder to pry open. It costs more to drill a sentry and replace the lock than the safe costs usually. What gave you the idea that the body was 1/8" thick? All those sentry safes have 12 gauge and 14 gauge bodies. All the internals in the door are made of plastic also. Sentry Does not make a decent safe. Granted the job box has no fire protection, its still more pry and cut security than a sentry is. Also, the sentry safes dont have any fire protection that would actually protect the contents in a real house fire.

Walmart had this safe for $199. Is it the best - no. Is it made of 1/8" steel and steel internals - yes. Does Sentry make the model that you describe - probably. We are obviously talking about different models so my original assertion still stands. The model I linked above is a good value at the $200+ish price range but not at the $620 MSRP.

Link Posted: 2/1/2010 6:37:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Walmart had this safe for $199. Is it the best - no. Is it made of 1/8" steel and steel internals - yes. Does Sentry make the model that you describe - probably. We are obviously talking about different models so my original assertion still stands. The model I linked above is a good value at the $200+ish price range but not at the $620 MSRP.

Where are you getting that from?  Nowhere do I see it say that "safe" is made from 1/8" steel.  A 1/8" body is 10ga steel.  The owners manual doesn't even make that claim from what I can see.

Oh and as for job boxes, I keep my ammo locked up in a job box and am pretty happy with it in there as opposed to eating up room in my safe

Link Posted: 2/1/2010 7:07:23 AM EDT
[#14]
tag

I am looking at one of those Ridgid boxes for ammo storage
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 8:32:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where are you getting that from?  Nowhere do I see it say that "safe" is made from 1/8" steel.  A 1/8" body is 10ga steel.  The owners manual doesn't even make that claim from what I can see.

Oh and as for job boxes, I keep my ammo locked up in a job box and am pretty happy with it in there as opposed to eating up room in my safe

I mic'd it. I think it was a little over 1/8" so I chalked up the extra to the paint thickness. I don't have a paint thickness guage so i just guesstimated. YMMV

Link Posted: 2/1/2010 10:50:44 AM EDT
[#16]
I've always wondered what those who deal with safes think of these job boxes as a temporary stand in. I mean can one of these possible be worse than my stack on cabinet that's in my basement? That job box is no $2000+ safe, but it sure as hell looks more secure than my semi punch resistant 8 or 10 gun stack on cabinet. With the recessed lock model, these seem like an adequate stop gap till a poor college student like myself can get in and through med school and making money for a real safe (s) and vault.
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 12:47:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That safe has 3 locking bolts, and a 14 gauge body. That is nowhere near the description of the safe you said you saw in walmart. The one you provided the link to is the same construction as the one I popped open a few weeks ago. Something is not matching up here with what your claiming. That sentry in the link is a crap safe.

Regardless what you think, the reality is that  there is no sentry safe that is good. All of them can be pried open fairly quick, and some are even easier to open using other methods. They keep out little kids, or kids that dont want to demolish your stuff, and thats it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 1:11:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That safe has 3 locking bolts, and a 14 gauge body. That is nowhere near the description of the safe you said you saw in walmart. The one you provided the link to is the same construction as the one I popped open a few weeks ago. Something is not matching up here with what your claiming. That sentry in the link is a crap safe.

Regardless what you think, the reality is that  there is no sentry safe that is good. All of them can be pried open fairly quick, and some are even easier to open using other methods. They keep out little kids, or kids that dont want to demolish your stuff, and thats it.

OK. Now I've got you to concede that the internals are not plastic. All I have to do now is prove the wall thickness. Correct?

And let me guess...you don't sell Sentry brand safes.

I know, I know it's because they are junk - even their top of the line fireproof, blahblahblah safes.

I'm sure there is NO safe that will keep out the most determined thief (or legitimate safe cracker such as you) with proper equipment at hand.

What I am asserting is that there are all kinds of safes to fill every persons needs and pocketbooks.

BTW - I checked out a jobox at home depot this morning and their wall thickness was probably around 1/16" thick.

Link Posted: 2/1/2010 1:33:46 PM EDT
[#19]
There are plastic internal parts in the doors of them. I have 2 out in the shop, and 1 in our warehouse.

We sell them, we just don't stock them. The ones we have on hand right now are for a video we are shooting to show how easy it is to break into safes from box stores.

Its not hard to breach a sentry REGARDLESS of who you are. An idiot can pound a screwdriver into the door jamb and breach the bolts, or pop one open with a pry bar in no time.

I looked at a job box yesterday at home depot, and it was 12 gauge (.1046") body thickness on the giant orange one I looked at. It would be a lot harder to pry open than one of those sentry gun safes. 1/16" would be .0625" thick, which they arent.

I don't gain anything from telling you guys what is a good safe, and what isn't. You aren't going to buy from me regardless, all you guys are out of my sales area. If someone was to pay attention to the advice I gave, they more than likely would be saying something like "Man, I sure am glad I got a good safe" someday later down the road after they may have had a home fire, or a burglary. My main goal here in the security forum is to provide accurate and direct assistance with questions about safes, security, and gun storage questions. Anyone is entitled to their opinion, but fact is, those safes at Walmart are not built the way you said they are. Sorry, its just the truth.
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 4:45:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I put the third coat of paint on it today. Starting next week I will be able to get the interior finished up.

I will have some in progress pics up soon.
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 9:58:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Finished the third coat of paint and worked out the layout of the custom extras for the box.

Here is the box after the third coat on the top and sides and first coat on the legs.

The airbrush work should happen on Tuesday and the vinyl graphics should be here by Thursday.
Interior of box is being worked on Monday night. This will be done and filled this weekend.

Link Posted: 2/7/2010 6:12:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Finished the third coat of paint and worked out the layout of the custom extras for the box.

Here is the box after the third coat on the top and sides and first coat on the legs.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2758/4337668447_a31c74b9b5.jpg

The airbrush work should happen on Tuesday and the vinyl graphics should be here by Thursday.
Interior of box is being worked on Monday night. This will be done and filled this weekend.

cool dude looking forward to seeing the end results, its looking good already
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 8:11:11 PM EDT
[#23]
disregard
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 5:54:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I have went this route as well and use the Home Depot RIGID job box to keep my guns and ammo in.  For the money, you get a lot of secure space.  It's not pretty and has no bells or whistles but for me it was the perfect solution. OP, good luck with your project.  I will be following this.
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 10:01:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Major update!

Paint is done and the Vinyl graphics are on the box. I also started the lining of the box.

Here is what the paint work looks like.
Airbrush work prior to clear coat.

Tribute to Trijicon.

Clear applied

Link Posted: 2/12/2010 10:07:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Thats awesome

Link Posted: 2/12/2010 10:26:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Here are the finished pics of the exterior. Vinyl graphics applied.

This thing is awesome. I love the way it turned out and can't wait to mount it
to the floor and fill it with the good stuff.

Here the whole box with the airbrushing and vinyl.

Close up of contents list.

A big thanks to my old friend from high school (Rob) for the airbrush work.

I should have pics of the interior panels by Sat.
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#28]
that's badass

Link Posted: 2/12/2010 6:05:29 PM EDT
[#29]
looks wicked dude, great job
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 6:22:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Heads up on job boxes - there is a VERY easy trick to get into them.  The security is far better than other options, and will certainly keep the kids out, but they aren't quite as secure as they seem.
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 6:50:16 PM EDT
[#31]
So what is the trick then?
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 6:55:05 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Major update!

Paint is done and the Vinyl graphics are on the box. I also started the lining of the box.

Here is what the paint work looks like.

Airbrush work prior to clear coat.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2774/4351182283_dabc406a56.jpg

Tribute to Trijicon.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4070/4351182575_e5e3c3590e.jpg

Clear applied

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4062/4351932166_a75c5f5bdd.jpg

Damn! That's cool as hell! You wanna come paint mine?

Link Posted: 2/12/2010 7:32:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Excellent idea and the paint work it tits!  Great job!

Keep the keys secure, don't hide them, keep them with you.  I eventually found my Dad's hidden keys, almost by accident.  I was about 8yrs old at the time.  To this day, he never knew.
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 7:38:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
There are plastic internal parts in the doors of them. I have 2 out in the shop, and 1 in our warehouse.

We sell them, we just don't stock them. The ones we have on hand right now are for a video we are shooting to show how easy it is to break into safes from box stores.

Its not hard to breach a sentry REGARDLESS of who you are. An idiot can pound a screwdriver into the door jamb and breach the bolts, or pop one open with a pry bar in no time.

I looked at a job box yesterday at home depot, and it was 12 gauge (.1046") body thickness on the giant orange one I looked at. It would be a lot harder to pry open than one of those sentry gun safes. 1/16" would be .0625" thick, which they arent.

I don't gain anything from telling you guys what is a good safe, and what isn't. You aren't going to buy from me regardless, all you guys are out of my sales area. If someone was to pay attention to the advice I gave, they more than likely would be saying something like "Man, I sure am glad I got a good safe" someday later down the road after they may have had a home fire, or a burglary. My main goal here in the security forum is to provide accurate and direct assistance with questions about safes, security, and gun storage questions. Anyone is entitled to their opinion, but fact is, those safes at Walmart are not built the way you said they are. Sorry, its just the truth.

Sing it!

Buying a cheap safe is exactly like trusting TSA.  It is a false sense of security.  If you are happy with a RSC rated container, then you can't complain about airline security.

Link Posted: 2/13/2010 12:57:13 PM EDT
[#35]
cool project.
Link Posted: 2/13/2010 1:27:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I've always wondered what those who deal with safes think of these job boxes as a temporary stand in. I mean can one of these possible be worse than my stack on cabinet that's in my basement? That job box is no $2000+ safe, but it sure as hell looks more secure than my semi punch resistant 8 or 10 gun stack on cabinet. With the recessed lock model, these seem like an adequate stop gap till a poor college student like myself can get in and through med school and making money for a real safe (s) and vault.

It is better than a sheet metal Stack On cabinet in that it is much larger and therefore requires a larger vehicle to steal it out right. It also holds more guns.
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 1:48:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Awesome paint job––does your friend usually work on cars? Wondering what kind of airbrush guy I'd need to look up to get something similar done.
Link Posted: 3/30/2010 10:08:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2701/4351265755_415edcf285.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2595/4351266051_2cbed24a2b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2680/4351266297_cddf7832d3.jpg

That would be really cool to use it as a coffee table with one of those doilly things covering it. All sophisticated with a degree of kewlness and lethality underneath.

The only drawback would be hiding all that artwork from regular viewing.

Link Posted: 3/30/2010 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2701/4351265755_415edcf285.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2595/4351266051_2cbed24a2b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2680/4351266297_cddf7832d3.jpg

So what does the interior look like?
Link Posted: 3/30/2010 11:35:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

For a "decent" safe, you should expect to spend at least $1K - $1.3K...and that's for something "low-end decent".

OP isn't looking to keep criminals out, just his kids.  And if you think that you need a $1k safe to keep the kids out... you must have quite the family.
Link Posted: 3/30/2010 12:19:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Tag for more updates
Link Posted: 3/30/2010 4:28:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

OP isn't looking to keep criminals out, just his kids.  And if you think that you need a $1k safe to keep the kids out... you must have quite the family.

That's what I was trying to get at but the thread devolved quickly into a safe bashing thread.
Link Posted: 3/30/2010 7:13:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Heads up on job boxes - there is a VERY easy trick to get into them.  The security is far better than other options, and will certainly keep the kids out, but they aren't quite as secure as they seem.

Quoted:

Yep, still waiting on that trick.
Link Posted: 3/31/2010 5:42:26 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, still waiting on that trick.

My guess would be having the key or a sawzall/angle grinder.  That's some trick!

Link Posted: 4/1/2010 5:53:13 AM EDT
[#45]
what happened to the interior pics? Please?
Link Posted: 4/2/2010 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#46]
You are my hero. That is awesome.
Link Posted: 4/2/2010 12:33:56 PM EDT
[#47]
great work!!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2010 5:14:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Very cool project.  Lokks great.
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 1:56:05 AM EDT
[#49]
SWEET!

Got any interior pics?
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 8:33:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sing it!

Buying a cheap safe is exactly like trusting TSA.  It is a false sense of security.  If you are happy with a RSC rated container, then you can't complain about airline security.

http://i47.tinypic.com/68y3x4.jpg

I just got a quote from Brown for the above safe in a "C" rating with fire lining - almost $10k shipped and installed.  The safe was about $8k alone, but shipping and installation is big $ as well.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top