Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Holy crap, that thing is the most badass custom project I've seen. When I first saw this post I was kind of unimpressed, now I want one for myself!! Great work, waiting on the interior pics as well.
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Looking for a place to post my latest project, and I ran across this thread.  Go figure.  

I share the contempt posted earlier for the Sentry, and similar "safes".    Drywall resists fire by releasing H2O which is contained within the gypsum.  

For added security, I can remove the bolts from the weapons and post  a notice on the door –– what thief would take the trouble to pry it?   [ I've got the bolts in my big safe –– not that little peanut safe in the pic.]

My box is a "Klein", a HomeDepot brand.  It has knockouts for power, and the rack is just a shelf I had in the shop.   It holds 25-30 easy, but is only 48" tall ( a squeeze for a Swedish Mauser).  

I still need some Chinese floor mat on the walls to insulate it.  It will have a small fan-forced ceramic heater inside, like my Liberty L-25.   I also put in a can of silica gel.

[ETA:  Yes, there may be a Fudd gun or two in there!]
Link Posted: 4/11/2010 7:26:40 PM EDT
[#3]
tag for interior pics...
Link Posted: 4/28/2010 9:10:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I was thinking about doing this for ammo storage.  Would humidity/moisture be an issue if they are in this container plus ammo cans?
Link Posted: 4/28/2010 9:36:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I was thinking about doing this for ammo storage.  Would humidity/moisture be an issue if they are in this container plus ammo cans?

Dessicant in ammo cans = problem solved.

Link Posted: 4/29/2010 8:33:06 AM EDT
[#6]
WOW

At first I was thinking that paint job was horrible, boy was I wrong.
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 1:27:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Bad. Ass.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 9:46:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the pictures.  I started with the exact same job site box for my secured storage, laying rifles inside of there soft cases - later in life I moved on to a gun safe and I use the job site box for ammo and accessories.  For your next set of funds, consider upgrading the locks to a commercial tumbler, Master Locks are great for keeping out the kids.
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 10:04:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Very Nice!
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 12:01:11 AM EDT
[#10]
tag

I'm loving that idea for my ammo
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 6:56:20 AM EDT
[#11]
nice job.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 12:33:38 PM EDT
[#12]
that is kick ass
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 12:43:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice work OP!  That turned out looking awesome and will do the trick.  Congrats!
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 5:42:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Yup - check your local Craigslist ads for 'job box' as I found several beat up ones for $100.  If you're going to repaint it anyway, it won't matter.  Personally, I just kept mine beat up as it's good camouflage

Link Posted: 7/13/2010 6:44:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I got the 5 foot model on CL for $300. painted it black, see here, I have learned that 50 cal cans fit WAY more efficiently than SAW cans. so I'm trying to work on a swap. Anyone want to trade 9 SAW cans for 9 50?
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 9:07:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Too bad I'm not better with an airbrush

I LOVE the umbrella idea, hell I have an umbrella corp lower i built a rifle on that would go perfectly with that.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 7:30:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Love this idea, bad assed box! I am gonna try this one when i find a job box on sale, or I may get one from Fasenal, reverse engineered off a Knaack & on sale since they are not selling many last I checked, but they have the lock holes on the sides instead of the end of the lid. For an upgraded lock you could try the mul-t-lock. One of my previous jobs had one installed into a garage door & the thieves couldn't pop it, they caught the thieves when they made a hell of a racket trying to cut the garage door itself after giving up on the lock. That cylinder wouldn't come out of that door for nothing. I am supposing that the company that sold it installed it because I'm sure that door should've given way.

(edited for spelling & horrid grammar)
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 7:37:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
tag for interior pics...

Interior pics are here.
Holds everything with room to spare. The 4 Ammo cans filled each with approx 20-30 shotgun shells, 300 rounds .223, 200-250 give or take of the following 9mm, .40 and 45acp also 1050 rounds .22 long rifle.
This way any can is good to go.

You can see the 1/2 thick MDF panels lining the inside of the box. I used the Handi panels from home depot. With a small amount of cutting, they fit great.
I carpeted the panels and added a 24inch long flouresent light to the inside of the box.

As you can see this box stores the important stuff.

The real safe fund is growing monthly. I should be able to replace this box with a Fort knox safe by next spring.

Thanks

Link Posted: 8/23/2010 11:14:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are plastic internal parts in the doors of them. I have 2 out in the shop, and 1 in our warehouse.

We sell them, we just don't stock them. The ones we have on hand right now are for a video we are shooting to show how easy it is to break into safes from box stores.

Its not hard to breach a sentry REGARDLESS of who you are. An idiot can pound a screwdriver into the door jamb and breach the bolts, or pop one open with a pry bar in no time.

I looked at a job box yesterday at home depot, and it was 12 gauge (.1046") body thickness on the giant orange one I looked at. It would be a lot harder to pry open than one of those sentry gun safes. 1/16" would be .0625" thick, which they arent.

I don't gain anything from telling you guys what is a good safe, and what isn't. You aren't going to buy from me regardless, all you guys are out of my sales area. If someone was to pay attention to the advice I gave, they more than likely would be saying something like "Man, I sure am glad I got a good safe" someday later down the road after they may have had a home fire, or a burglary. My main goal here in the security forum is to provide accurate and direct assistance with questions about safes, security, and gun storage questions. Anyone is entitled to their opinion, but fact is, those safes at Walmart are not built the way you said they are. Sorry, its just the truth.

Sing it!

Buying a cheap safe is exactly like trusting TSA.  It is a false sense of security.  If you are happy with a RSC rated container, then you can't complain about airline security.

http://i47.tinypic.com/68y3x4.jpg

his intent it to keep the kids out of his gear.
i would say he achieved that objective.
the only negative is, the cool paint job will attract attention. of both kids and would be thieves.
most people can not afford to buy safes that can keep most criminals at bay.
a safe is there to slow them down. not stop them.
a good alarm system will make the criminal know that the clock is running, and odds are not get what is inside even the el cheapo safe.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 9:06:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm not sure how I missed this thread, that is the coolest thing I've seen in a long time.  Bravo!
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:48:37 AM EDT
[#22]
I LOVE it! Fantastic job and thank you very much for sharing it with us!
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:18:24 PM EDT
[#23]
man that box is so cool.  good job.  wish I had one!
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:10:39 AM EDT
[#24]
That is awesome.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 5:52:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Very cool
Link Posted: 9/28/2010 4:28:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Box looks awesome, and it hasn't certainly given me a few ideas.  My only question is, was "Remmington" misspelled on purpose??
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 10:47:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Sorry, I copied you this weekend with my box that holds my ammo and reloading stuff while I move. I usually dont do that but this idea was so bad ass even my wife was bitching at me to do it. great job!

heres mine though I went for more subdued colors though and a cheap walmart box since its just for moving lol. thanks for the idea!(sorry for the crappy cell phone pics)

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/8740/boxtape.jpg
http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/4376/boxcomp.jpg
http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/8886/boxint.jpg

By the way do you know how long the box is inside? I've been looking for something to pack my guns in thats secure and cheap.
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 12:48:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Box looks awesome, and it hasn't certainly given me a few ideas.  My only question is, was "Remmington" misspelled on purpose??

I just noticed that.  OP, did you notice that?  At any rate, good job.
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 6:27:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I noticed it after I stuck it down. I haven't had time to have the vinyl guy redo it yet.

Glad you guys like the box. I have been busily trying to save for the new real safe.
The box has been serving its purpose perfectly. Quietly sitting int the corner with a blanket over it to keep the teenagers friends eyes off of it.

I have been using a larger canister of desiccant to keep it dry inside. I seem to need to put it in the oven every other month or so to reactivate it.

I am try to find a way to mount some of my knifes inside. I was thinking on the inside of the top/lid. Anyone try to mount something heavy like that?
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 8:38:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I noticed it after I stuck it down. I haven't had time to have the vinyl guy redo it yet.

Glad you guys like the box. I have been busily trying to save for the new real safe.
The box has been serving its purpose perfectly. Quietly sitting int the corner with a blanket over it to keep the teenagers friends eyes off of it.

I have been using a larger canister of desiccant to keep it dry inside. I seem to need to put it in the oven every other month or so to reactivate it.

I am try to find a way to mount some of my knifes inside. I was thinking on the inside of the top/lid. Anyone try to mount something heavy like that?

if you hadnt painted already you could have tack welded hooks or porforated steel to strap them to. you could try an industrial epoxy thats made to stick metal to metal. eres an example http://www.masterbond.com/tds/ep31.html
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:04:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Love this project.  Kudos to you.  I thought about doing something similar (albeit without the fancy paint job), but I can’t get past the humidity problem.  I live in the South, and it is humid down here like it is cold up there.  Some days it feels like I have to wade through the air.  I think this would still be a great solution for secure ammo storage:  throw everything in an ammo can and then fill the box full of cans.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:33:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Love this project.  Kudos to you.  I thought about doing something similar (albeit without the fancy paint job), but I can’t get past the humidity problem.  I live in the South, and it is humid down here like it is cold up there.  Some days it feels like I have to wade through the air.  I think this would still be a great solution for secure ammo storage:  throw everything in an ammo can and then fill the box full of cans.

I keep all my ammo in ammo cans inside my jobox. inside each ammo can is a silica gel pack. No worries about humidity!

you can see feom the humidity on the lense, I fight humidity too!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top