BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 74
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 10:54:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've been thinking all week about what to rename this thread. Done.
View Quote
LOL
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:09:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Hysterical
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 6:11:47 PM EDT
[#3]
"Tens upon tens" "probably"
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:34:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:05:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

.308 Tavor?  What's it weigh?
View Quote
Not sure if it really matters on the weight if it's a reliable gun that can be mass produced.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:15:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Something about the tavor is just meh. If the mdr is still a turd when and if I get it back then I may try the k&m m17 or whatever they call it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:27:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not sure if it really matters on the weight if it's a reliable gun that can be mass produced.
View Quote
It matters to me and my RFB.  The TAR21 is about a pound lighter than the RFB.

A quick google shows the Tavor 7 at 8.6 pounds, so about half a pound heavier than the RFB...

Of course the fact that it can take Magpul .308 mags means that it would roughly balance out, as quality metric FAL mags are heavy.  I haven't tried the Moses mags as they were pretty much unobtanium until recently.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:44:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd be in for that 308 tavor in a heartbeat
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:21:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is my position. But I wouldn't be a serious buyer
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Is it due to the "adpocolypse" on youtube that channels have done barely any MDR reviews?  Normally I can find a plethora on newly released/about to be released firearms.  I mean I watched MAC's review and another small channel had a couple vids.  Somethings not adding up are these shipping or not?
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 9:32:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is it due to the "adpocolypse" on youtube that channels have done barely any MDR reviews?  Normally I can find a plethora on newly released/about to be released firearms.  I mean I watched MAC's review and another small channel had a couple vids.  Somethings not adding up are these shipping or not?
View Quote
Not in significant quantities I imagine. I'd be surprised if there are 300 in customers hands or for sale. Just my gut feeling.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:50:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's not due to the ad removal, I can assure you.

Besides most of those gun "reviewers" are paid anyway.  They just use the "google hates guns" thing to try and get viewers to give them money (like via Patreon).  In addition to the money they are being paid by companies to produce the reviews (advertisements).
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 11:05:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
.308 Tavor?  What's it weigh?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Who cares about weight. It's a .308, not a .22 caliber mouse gun like the Tavor SAR.  If it has the same crap 9-10 lb trigger that the original SAR 5.56 model did, then it's total garbage.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 8:48:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Who cares about weight. It's a .308, not a .22 caliber mouse gun like the Tavor SAR.  If it has the same crap 9-10 lb trigger that the original SAR 5.56 model did, then it's total garbage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
1. The trigger is entirely fixable. Even so, I never had trouble shooting my OEM trigger precisely, but the G trigger has certainly made it easier and faster to shoot precisely.

2. The weight matters to anyone who uses their rifle outside of a benchrest.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 4:19:06 PM EDT
[#16]
In regards to the lack of reviews, the few that are in circulation (my feeling is less than a couple of hundred - even posted as much when DT released a video in which you could overhear employees saying they had enough to assemble a hundred) are in civilians hands not online celebrities and I don't think the average MDR owner wants to deal with all the online BS that goes with it. Just my 2 cents as a MDR owner.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#17]
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1597322210298515&id=124414064256011

@0:20
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 5:12:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Less interested in the 7 now that more details are known.  Perhaps if the "5.56 version" is multicaliber I'll revisit.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 5:14:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Less interested in the 7 now that more details are known.  Perhaps if the "5.56 version" is multicaliber I'll revisit.
View Quote
What?
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 5:36:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What?
View Quote
This was my thought too.  They are both multi caliber, or at least supposed to be.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 5:45:03 PM EDT
[#21]
From the TFB article:

"IWI USA representatives told me that the Tavor 7 will be available in .308/7.62 only to start, with the possibility for other calibers down the line. They said that if a 5.56mm-class version of the Tavor 7 is introduced, it will not be very soon. "

5.56 class version sounds like a whole different platform to me...

TFB
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 8:19:20 PM EDT
[#22]
A 5.56 Tavor 7 would functionally be a short stroke X95, right?
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 8:34:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
From the TFB article:

"IWI USA representatives told me that the Tavor 7 will be available in .308/7.62 only to start, with the possibility for other calibers down the line. They said that if a 5.56mm-class version of the Tavor 7 is introduced, it will not be very soon. "

5.56 class version sounds like a whole different platform to me...

TFB
View Quote
A whole different class version?  Yeah I suppose, it is called the x95.

I am not seeing why thats a big deal, conversion kits are not all they are cracked out to be anyways.  Also, IWI had never led us to assume that in the first place.  Not to mention the x95 has not even been out for 2 years so far.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:46:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

A whole different class version?  Yeah I suppose, it is called the x95.

I am not seeing why thats a big deal, conversion kits are not all they are cracked out to be anyways.  Also, IWI had never led us to assume that in the first place.  Not to mention the x95 has not even been out for 2 years so far.
View Quote
Not when they come apart like the SAR/X95.  I agree.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 8:49:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Not when they come apart like the SAR/X95.  I agree.
View Quote
Or cost as much as they do
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:40:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
1. The trigger is entirely fixable. Even so, I never had trouble shooting my OEM trigger precisely, but the G trigger has certainly made it easier and faster to shoot precisely.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A brand new rifle shouldn't have a trigger that "needs to be fixed."
The only time I have ever used a bench was in the weight room or to clean guns. My Steyr Aug has an Elcan Specter DR 1-4X scope on it and weighs more than the MDR. So, an MDR in .308 weighing around 9 lbs is about right. Sounds like you couldn't handle a .308 caliber semi-auto rifle just because of the weight if you can't handle 9 lbs.

And, for comparison, the M14 rifle weighs 9.2 lbs. I don't think they were designed to be used solely on a "bench rest" as you claimed.
The M1 Garand weighs 9.5 lbs. Is that rifle designed to be fired only on a bench rest?
I had a Galil AR 7.62 Nato rifle that weighed 8.7 lbs. I did not use that rifle on a bench rest either.
I've owned several FN FAL (actually the semi-auto versions labeled marked FN LAR by FNH) rifles  that weighed 9.48 lbs. None of them were bench rest guns.
I also owned an HK 91 that weighed 9 lbs. It was not a bench rest gun either. What's your deal with having to use a bench rest? Go back to the gym.

Picture of my Galil AR 7.62 Nato caliber with standard 25rd magazine. So, answer me this, how the heck was I supposed to use this rifle on a bench rest? Answer: I didn't!  

https://postimg.org/image/a1ssfcu25/]
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:03:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The only time I have ever used a bench was in the weight room or to clean guns. My Steyr Aug has an Elcan Specter DR 1-4X scope on it and weighs more than the MDR. So, an MDR in .308 weighing around 9 lbs is about right. Sounds like you couldn't handle a .308 caliber semi-auto rifle just because of the weight if you can't handle 9 lbs.

And, for comparison, the M14 rifle weighs 9.2 lbs. I don't think they were designed to be used solely on a "bench rest" as you claimed.
The M1 Garand weighs 9.5 lbs. Is that rifle designed to be fired only on a bench rest?
I had a Galil AR 7.62 Nato rifle that weighed 8.7 lbs. I did not use that rifle on a bench rest either.
I've owned several FN FAL (actually the semi-auto versions labeled marked FN LAR by FNH) rifles  that weighed 9.48 lbs. None of them were bench rest guns.
I also owned an HK 91 that weighed 9 lbs. It was not a bench rest gun either. What's your deal with having to use a bench rest? Go back to the gym.
View Quote
I wondered how long it would take this stupid argument to pop up.
"go back to the gym"

Do you shoot much move-and-shoot competition or carry your rifle long distances on a regular basis?  Why would i lug a 9lb gun when a 7lb gun in the same caliber will do the same thing and be quicker on target?

That's why I went from lugging a heavy barrel bolt gun, to a .308 bullpup, to a 6.8SPC SBR AR for my woods hunting gun.
Sure I have other guns for over a field, but I'd rather tote the light, compact one when I'm walking.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 1:33:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Picture of my Galil AR 7.62 Nato caliber with standard 25rd magazine. So, answer me this, how the heck was I supposed to use this rifle on a bench rest? Answer: I didn't!  

https://postimg.org/image/a1ssfcu25/]https://s6.postimg.org/fd7p02g4x/Galil_IMI_329.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://postimg.org/image/a1ssfcu25/]https://s6.postimg.org/fd7p02g4x/Galil_IMI_329.jpg
Firstly, I thought I made it pretty clear, but apparently not. There's nothing inherently wrong with the Tavor trigger, it isn't defective. It is heavier than what most want, and the G trigger is used to remedy that. I've had it both ways, and shoot it the same either way, but of course a lighter trigger allows that to happen quicker and easier.

Secondly, why would one not want to carry a lighter rifle? What a truly bizarre response.

ETA: I assure you I handle a .308 semi just fine, I lugged a fully loaded M1A in a Sage chassis all over the countryside for deer season just last year. It kind of sucked if we are being honest. Just because something works doesn't make it optimal.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#29]
I'll carry my FAL for a long hike. Its not ideal, but I rarely buy a gun for its weight (or care much for that matter). When it comes to weight and triggers, its just coincidence for me. I'd rather carry a 10 pound rifle on a hike than to push 20 carts uphill all day everyday without shade or rest. To each their own.

Edit: Not that I don't understand the concept of weight rationing, weight's just not a deal breaker for me.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:30:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Even aside from the fraudulent business practices at Desert Tech, I can't really see why anyone would want to buy this rifle over an RFB or Tavor 7?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:32:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Even aside from the fraudulent business practices at Desert Tech, I can't really see why anyone would want to buy this rifle over an RFB or Tavor 7?
View Quote
Especially given how few are apparently finding their way to customer's hands.

I just dont buy the lack of reviews/videos on the MDR to be from customers not caring about pleasing those of us on the "internet."
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:32:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I just dont buy the lack of reviews/videos on the MDR to be from customers not caring about pleasing those of us on the "internet."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly...I mean Tim from MAC did a review, but other than that, I haven't really seen any "known" you tubers doing reviews on it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 4:02:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Exactly...I mean Tim from MAC did a review, but other than that, I haven't really seen any "known" you tubers doing reviews on it.
View Quote
I believe his was a T&E gun he had for only a short time.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 5:16:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I believe his was a T&E gun he had for only a short time.
View Quote
It was.

Also, just from the members here that have ordered this thing, there are no reviews, no anything. There are no regular customers with reviews anywhere, and not on youtube either. Not even gun channels that buy their own guns or have them shipped or loaned to them.

All that is out there is factory stuff.

I may be missing a couple of them, but at this point, if the company was truly shipping even half of what they say they are, there would be reviews out there by bona fide customers.

I'd honestly hoped for the best, because I want one, or wanted one. At this point I wouldn't take one if they gave it to me, or even for half off. I don't see there being enough of them produced with enough parts produced to maintain the guns or for there to be any support at all down the road.

Maybe they'll get it all worked out in a few years, with several revisions and they'll be able to release a good number in a real production run. I think the ship will have sailed for them then though.

The Tavor .308 will be out and IWI will have no issues producing and delivering the numbers they say they will.

Sad really to see this, and I hope everyone either gets their guns or gets a refund or something.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:24:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Not too impressed by most of the reviews.  As in the product of the reviews themselves, the gun looks pretty good.

They all consist of a guy talking for 20 minutes, doing a mag dump, and pointing out the features (yet again).  Great, how accurate is it?  That's the big question everyone has.  Every reviewed gun out there has a nice scope on it, a day free at the range, and yet nobody thinks to bring quality ammo and bother to spend 20 minutes doing some careful slow fire at 200 yards?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:53:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Not too impressed by most of the reviews.  As in the product of the reviews themselves, the gun looks pretty good.

They all consist of a guy talking for 20 minutes, doing a mag dump, and pointing out the features (yet again).  Great, how accurate is it?  That's the big question everyone has.  Every reviewed gun out there has a nice scope on it, a day free at the range, and yet nobody thinks to bring quality ammo and bother to spend 20 minutes doing some careful slow fire at 200 yards?  
View Quote
Good point.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:10:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Good point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point.
I'm guessing a lot of the reviewers are master-blaster types, who maybe have a little confidence problem when it comes to precision shooting. Maybe it's just the mold: if you want to be a Youtuber, action shooting is much more visual than precision shooting.  Who knows, but it is annoying.  

MAC's review had so much potential, but like most of his video's, he focuses more on the cool features and if the gun will even fire, rather than what it's really doing downrange.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:52:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'm guessing a lot of the reviewers are master-blaster types, who maybe have a little confidence problem when it comes to precision shooting. Maybe it's just the mold: if you want to be a Youtuber, action shooting is much more visual than precision shooting.  Who knows, but it is annoying.  

MAC's review had so much potential, but like most of his video's, he focuses more on the cool features and if the gun will even fire, rather than what it's really doing downrange.
View Quote
Master Blasters tend to buy SKSs , cheap AKS, and cheap ARs. They don't buy very limited run guns on a preorder at the price point these things are selling at. The target market for these guns are people well  versed in accuracy and firearms handling. I will bet nearly 100% of every buyer of these guns has at least one high end AR or high end target rifle, and probably several more rifles as well.

These guns are not being bought by Joe Bob Country duck shooter backa chewer whose largest firearms purchase is a Mossberg 500 pistol grip shotgun and a SW Sigma.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 4:55:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Master Blasters tend to buy SKSs , cheap AKS, and cheap ARs. They don't buy very limited run guns on a preorder at the price point these things are selling at. The target market for these guns are people well  versed in accuracy and firearms handling. I will bet nearly 100% of every buyer of these guns has at least one high end AR or high end target rifle, and probably several more rifles as well.

These guns are not being bought by Joe Bob Country duck shooter backa chewer whose largest firearms purchase is a Mossberg 500 pistol grip shotgun and a SW Sigma.
View Quote
I wouldn't be so quick to lump all buyers into a group like that. Buyers are going to be distributed across all walks of life. I'd also think that as the MDR was hyped up as the newest hottest koolaid on the block, that there's a large segment of buyers who may only have one or two firearms and thought the MDR to be cool enough for the price tag.

I've met plenty of people who are the "10/22 and .38 revolver" crowd, that also have something surprising like an HK MP5 or CheyTac. To be blunt, you would be surprised what people own. My grandfather was the stereotypical fudd duck hunter who only owned shotguns - except for his SP89...
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:20:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
I used to enjoy Tim's/MAC's reviews...back before he turned the channel into a revenue stream.  I liked the shorter videos where he focused on quality content, concise explanation, and it wasn't a "unicorn of the week" that you had to know someone to get because there were so few brought in as surplus.  Now, there's so much "noise" and fluff that the "signal" and message gets lost.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 6:43:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Mac has tried hard not to become a sales pitch but it is obvious that his entire show is now a sales pitch masked to not look like  a sales pitch. He was an advertiser so no surprise there.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 8:24:14 PM EDT
[#42]
So I got an update on mine. They installed an updated gas valve/port selector, and replaced the charging handle that was binding up. They said they suspected mags were falling out because it was overgassed. And couldn't replicate the failure.  I asked them what kind of mags they used and said magpul which is the ONLY mag I didn't have issues with. I gave them a full list of which I have tried and the frequency of drops. Well no shit Sherlock you can't replicate the failure. I pretty much expect it is still drop KAC and Larue like it's going out of style.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:15:14 PM EDT
[#43]
LOL that they don't test with any other mags.  

How long do you expect til it gets back to you? Or maybe they'll use it to send to some other customer...  I keed.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:34:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Fedex shows it's supposed to deliver Thursday.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:59:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Fedex shows it's supposed to deliver Thursday.
View Quote
Sweet, still thinking about dumping it, or gonna see how it shakes out this go around?  I mean, the capitalist in me says, dump that shit and profit, but the gun lover in me, wants to see this gun succeed.  And right now you're one of our only real hopes as a play by play reviewer.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 11:37:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
They installed an updated gas valve/port selecto
View Quote
Gee, after all that testing, production showed a need for a different part?  Is yours now a Gen1.1?
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 10:54:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Gee, after all that testing, production showed a need for a different part?  Is yours now a Gen1.1?
View Quote
You mean the delays to achieve perfection did not allow them enough time to achieve perfection?
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Well so far in the wait for my MDR, i've moved states, been promoted twice and had 2 kids...maybe i'll get one before i'm retired.

Having said that i do hope they start getting out on the streets soonish more frequently so we know if the issues are just isolated or if they are a wider production or design issue.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 4:27:45 PM EDT
[#49]
I am only bummed because another Fall will be passed soon and I was really looking forward to using it for hunting.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 11:22:41 PM EDT
[#50]
I wonder which will come out first: the MDR or the next book in the Game of Thrones series
Page / 74
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top