Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/20/2021 9:50:25 PM EDT
Looking to get my own chronograph. Currently me and a buddy share a Caldwell and it’s usually such a pain in the ass to set up at public ranges I don’t bother.

The one issue I have with the MagnetoSpeed is that it’s a weight hangin off your barrel, which will effect harmonics and load development. Who has experience with this? How much does it impact shots?

The one issue I have with the lab radar is the price.

I think they’re both probably accurate enough.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:57:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I could see a magneto for only rifle load development.   Lab radar blows it out in all other areas.   Including price.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:58:11 PM EDT
[#2]
While the Magnetospeed does seem to alter point of impact, it appears to not actually affect accuracy/precision.  I haven't had a chance to practice much with mine, other than messing around with fitting it on different barrels.

The "bayonet" sensor doesn't weigh much at all.  It's basically a fiberglass structure with very light weight sensor components.

The Labradar base unit is around twice the price of the Magnetospeed, and it's a fairly hefty chunk to haul around.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 10:02:29 PM EDT
[#3]
LR,

* Handguns
* I like to zero while I chrono, esp with ammo prices now
* Calculating downrange vel is great, esp when developing obscure loads where published data doesn't apply (supersonic bullets in sub loads, etc...)
* Works with everything from paintball to 50 BMG

Just make sure you make your own trigger.  The built in trigger is worthless.  Costs only $8
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 10:26:54 PM EDT
[#4]
My magnetospeed will change the point of impact on thin barrel but will not affect accuracy.  Heavier profiles I haven't noticed that much of a shift.
'I have noticed some loads shoot marginally better with it on.  There are adapters for different firearms of course sold separately.  For ease of use it's hard to beat and not as finicky as the Labradar.  I did buy a Caldwell for pistol loads but seldom use it.  At present I don't see the need for a different chrono.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 10:39:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Labradar!
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 10:51:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Other than not having to go forward of the firing line, from what I've observed is that the lab radar can be equally a pain to set-up as a simple screen chronograph. However, the lab radar does have features that a regular chronograph cannot give you without setting it up close for a good sample of shots, and then down range for another sample.  

I'm still using an old Ohler Model 33 (pre proof channel). But I've had my eye on the lab radar.  Triggering with airguns, however, looks to be somewhat of a problem especially on a busy day at the range.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 10:52:17 PM EDT
[#7]
<snip> remember you are not in GD, dryflash3

Oh wait, thats a Labrador.  

Labradar, all day, everyday.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 10:55:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Having bought a Magnetospeed V3 recently, I would say it depends on your situation.  I would have gotten a lab radar but I have no outdoor ranges near me - meaning I couldn't set it up as most indoor ranges don't have room or access to do so.  So I bought the magnetopseed.  I bought the V3 because they sell an adapter you can use with pistols.  I've used it on my Beretta M9A3 to try and develop some HST pull loads.  I do have to say - that the 115gr rounds wouldn't register correctly (too light I think).  The placement is critical for it to work correctly and it is a pain in the butt to set it up correctly....But it works.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 11:01:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Triggering with airguns, however, looks to be somewhat of a problem especially on a busy day at the range.
View Quote

No it would not, make your own vibration trigger for $8 as mentioned.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 3:01:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Labradar with a trigger..
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 8:03:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No it would not, make your own vibration trigger for $8 as mentioned.
View Quote

Triggering a heavy .177 PCP airgun with recoil would be so sensitive that it would trigger just moving the rifle around on the bench (whether on bags, benchrest or handheld with sling).  My .177 field target rifle weighs in at 12 pounds and pushes a 10.5 grain pellet at 825 ft/s.  I'll let you figure out the impulse---it isn't much.  

The .25s would be easier, but again the recoil impulse is about half that of a standard velocity .22 long rifle.  Again, some of my guns are heavy.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 10:53:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I forgot to mention that it’s ok to use a Magnetospeed on the normal firing lines at my range, where an optical chronograph may only be used in the “private bays” where you can also run NFA stuff.  It’s a safety issue, and I agree with that rule at this facility.

But as long as you connect the device during firing time (not when people are down range), it’s ok.

I don’t know what they think about Labradars, though.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 11:08:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Triggering a heavy .177 PCP airgun with recoil would be so sensitive that it would trigger just moving the rifle around on the bench (whether on bags, benchrest or handheld with sling).  My .177 field target rifle weighs in at 12 pounds and pushes a 10.5 grain pellet at 825 ft/s.  I'll let you figure out the impulse---it isn't much.  

The .25s would be easier, but again the recoil impulse is about half that of a standard velocity .22 long rifle.  Again, some of my guns are heavy.
View Quote

<snip>Careful this is not GD, we don't insult people in this technical forum. dryflash3
My trigger picks up .177 PCPs just fine and false triggers can easily be avoided with normal care.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 11:15:38 AM EDT
[#14]
LabRadar.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 11:57:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 12:25:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Both will give good quality data and allow easier set-up and weather/light conditions independent usage.  

Here's the thing - a decent conventional chrony can be had for ~$100.  That's no big deal.  A MagnetoSpeed is $200-$400, depending on model; now it's getting into real money.  A LabRadar is $600, I've seen it for $500.  That's also real money.  Now that I'm in Real Money territory, both are in the same category of under $1k and won't break the bank nor in Serious Money status.  So once I decided to spend over a couple hundred bucks, just get the better unit.    Point being, if you are tight, just stick with the cheap optical chrony, which works.  you're trading effort for money; which is a decision we all have to make every day.  But once you are going to spend real money; invest that in lower effort.  And Lab Radar is lower effort - you set it up, you firing up the phone app, and you don't touch it again for the rest of the day.

I will say, in my own usage, I often bring multiple guns.  That's a non-item with a LabRadar, but not so much with a MagnetoSpeed.

If someone came up to me and offered me $400 cash right there for my used LabRadar and a free MagnetoSpeed new in box; I would say no.

Link Posted: 9/21/2021 5:13:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I've not used the magnetospeed, but I have use an optical chrono and the labradar. The labradar is worth every penny I spent on it. It's a fantastic chrono and easy to set up if you take 15 minutes to read the manual.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 5:45:02 PM EDT
[#18]
You guys are failing.
The correct arfcom answer is

Get both

Maybe in GD, but not here. dryflash3
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 6:47:09 PM EDT
[#19]
The Magnetospeed was tricky to set up.  I needed the directions to decipher the cryptic display, and it was a complete waste if I forgot my directions, or my glasses.  Needless to say, I got rid of it quickly.

Labradar is much easier to set up.  I use a bluetooth Kindle about 8" and it is super easy to read.

I mount it on the right now, and use an inertia trigger:

Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:10:58 AM EDT
[#20]
advantages of the magnetospeed:

it picks up more shots.  in almost ten years of owning one, about the only shots it didn't pick up was when i blew the end cap off a suppressor with a bullet strike, and when the battery died.  

speaking of battery, it lasts years in the magnetospeed.  using it a few times a week, a battery will probably last 3-4 years.   comparing battery life is like aimpoint vs eotech.  the lab radar battery life is in hours, and if you use it often, you'll spend more on batteries in a year than a new magnetospeed will cost

you can continue chronographing while practicing.  i shoot multiple target arrays on multiple berms and i can transition back and forth with magnetospeed and pick up all the shots.  the cone of the lab radar is not wide enough to do that.

it weighs under a pound and easily fits in a backpack so you can still use it if you shoot away from your vehicle.   nobody packs a lab radar around.   also important if you fly to matches

advantages of the labradar:

it's a conversation piece at the range.  everyone will come talk to you and ask you questions about it that you probably can't answer without rereading the manual.

yes, it doesn't touch the barrel so doesn't affect harmonics and doesn't require fiddling with spacers to switch between barrels with suppressors etc.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:12:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
advantages of the magnetospeed:

it picks up more shots.  in almost ten years of owning one, about the only shots it didn't pick up was when i blew the end cap off a suppressor with a bullet strike, and when the battery died.  

speaking of battery, it lasts years in the magnetospeed.  using it a few times a week, a battery will probably last 3-4 years.   comparing battery life is like aimpoint vs eotech.  the lab radar battery life is in hours, and if you use it often, you'll spend more on batteries in a year than a new magnetospeed will cost

you can continue chronographing while practicing.  i shoot multiple target arrays on multiple berms and i can transition back and forth with magnetospeed and pick up all the shots.  the cone of the lab radar is not wide enough to do that.

it weighs under a pound and easily fits in a backpack so you can still use it if you shoot away from your vehicle.   nobody packs a lab radar around.   also important if you fly to matches

advantages of the labradar:

it's a conversation piece at the range.  everyone will come talk to you and ask you questions about it that you probably can't answer without rereading the manual.

yes, it doesn't touch the barrel so doesn't affect harmonics and doesn't require fiddling with spacers to switch between barrels with suppressors etc.
View Quote

FWIW, if running a LabRadar pretty much everyone quickly learns to run rechargeable batteries, or just run a USB battery pack.  As you say, the radar transmission burns too much power to really use disposables.  It's no big deal.

Aside from cost. The biggest hang-up with LabRadar really, are the tricks to get it to reliably trigger.  It has to be placed even to muzzle, for me.  And depending on bench set-up, that can be a touch of effort.  Some people use special recoil sensors that talk to the LabRadar- I don't really want to screw with that expense and effort.  I tried using a spare computer microphone and just plugging that in, but that didnt work.  Finally, I just use my LabRadar enough that I've mastered how to place it close enough to the muzzle, and dont really have any missed tracks any more.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:49:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:53:34 AM EDT
[#23]
I've used both and own a LabRadar.

It's just easier.  Easy to swap firearms.  Easy to read and get data from. Easier to set up. With a rechargeable battery pack it lasts all day and then some.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 12:35:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Guys, this is the answer. Seriously.

If you don't want to make your own, buy one. JKL Precision and others make them.

Mount it to your firearm with Velcro or the several mount options discussed in the linked thread.

EVERY LabRadar owner should have an accelerometer trigger. It should be considered a necessary component.

I NEVER use the internal trigger. I never use my air gun trigger. I always use my accelerometer trigger.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 2:50:08 PM EDT
[#25]

That's not a realistic expectation for everybody to just bang that out.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Then buy one, as I said.

JKL Trigger
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Then buy one, as I said.

JKL Trigger
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then buy one, as I said.

JKL Trigger

While it looks cool, and I know you're trying to help - and both our tone's could use some work here - that's not a realistic expectation for everyone to just buy an obscure cottage-industry add-on product.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 8:02:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

While it looks cool, and I know you're trying to help - and both our tone's could use some work here - that's not a realistic expectation for everyone to just buy an obscure cottage-industry add-on product.
View Quote

Why is it not a "realistic expectation" to buy an extremely advantageous, popular, modestly priced accessory that literally comes up EVERY time someone mentions having triggering issues with the LabRadar?

I'm failing to see how buying such an accessory is so far-fetched.

By all means, if you'd rather complain that a $550 piece of equipment is finnicky vs. buying a $35 accessory (or making one for <$10) and getting perfect utility out of the LabRadar, then that's your prerogative.  But others, including myself, suggest solutions. It's up to each person to determine if it's something they'd like to explore, or not.

Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:26:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cottage industry or not, it works.  Magpuls were cottage industry in the beginning making rinky dink polymer pull tabs.  You keep lecturing about "realistic expectations" regarding things you have no experience with.  Nobody is expecting anybody (much less everyone) to do anything.  A question was asked, people with experience gave good solid solutions.  Whether people follow it is up to them.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 2:59:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Between the two I'd pick the LR... again.

The first complaint I have with the LR is the bluetooth to iphone connection drops frequently. I'd rather have a hardwired connection.

The second complaint is the limitation of the App. It's almost like a feasibility sw package rather than something a cutting edge instrument would have. Someone should come up with a decent app for it and I'd buy it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 8:38:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Why is it not a "realistic expectation" to buy an extremely advantageous, popular, modestly priced accessory that literally comes up EVERY time someone mentions having triggering issues with the LabRadar?

By all means, if you'd rather complain that a $550 piece of equipment is finnicky vs. buying a $35 accessory (or making one for <$10) and getting perfect utility out of the LabRadar, then that's your prerogative.  But others, including myself, suggest solutions. It's up to each person to determine if it's something they'd like to explore, or not.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the realistic position is that the base price tag to get into a LabRadar setup needs to include a few extras right off the bat.  

From my research, it seems that an accelerometer trigger, an external battery pack and some sort of protective case to house an expensive personal Doppler radar should be part of the initial purchase.  

I don't have a LabRadar, so maybe I'm wrong, but when I was pricing it out that was the conclusion I arrived at.  

Right now I'm sticking to my $100 Caldwell, but if it dies (or if I finally get tired of dealing with light) I am going to consider either saving up or selling off some stuff to fund a LabRadar, budgeting from the get go for the accessories I listed.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 8:49:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I think the realistic position is that the base price tag to get into a LabRadar setup needs to include a few extras right off the bat.  

From my research, it seems that an accelerometer trigger, an external battery pack and some sort of protective case to house an expensive personal Doppler radar should be part of the initial purchase.  

I don't have a LabRadar, so maybe I'm wrong, but when I was pricing it out that was the conclusion I arrived at.  

Right now I'm sticking to my $100 Caldwell, but if it dies (or if I finally get tired of dealing with light) I am going to consider either saving up or selling off some stuff to fund a LabRadar, budgeting from the get go for the accessories I listed.
View Quote

Do you buy an AR expecting to have all accessories included? For the price of a KAC it should come with a weaponlight, right?

People have different preferences. The only thing they could probably include without much complaining is the trigger, but there have been complaints that the cord is either too long or too short as well.

Some may want a large battery pack, others small. Some like soft sided cases. Others hard sided. Some like tripods. Some like platforms. Some like...you get the idea.

It's no different than anything else that you've heard since you were a kid: "Accessories sold separately, batteries not included."
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 8:55:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Would agree on the trigger since the built in sonic trigger is so bad, but I use AAs just fine.  As for a case, it's not exactly delicate.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 9:08:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Do you buy an AR expecting to have all accessories included? For the price of a KAC it should come with a weaponlight, right?

People have different preferences.

Some may want a large battery pack, others small. Some like soft sided cases. Others hard sided. Some like tripods. Some like platforms. Some like...you get the idea.

It's no different than anything else that you've heard since you were a kid: "Accessories sold separately, batteries not included."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People have different preferences.

Of course not.  If the tone of my post came across as critical of the LabRadar, it wasn't intended that way.

If I decide to buy a new handgun that's in a form factor I don't already own, I go ahead and factor in the cost of a new holster and extra mags. If it's going to carry a light, I factor that in too.  Same with a pistol optic.  I don' expect or even want them included with the base gun.  But I add up the cost of everything when looking at my budget.  

I'd do the same for a LabRadar.

I can see all the positives of a LabRadar, but IMO for me, there would need to be extras.  It's not the cost of extras that is keeping me away from a LabRadar, I just don't have the free cash to float for the base cost.  Or rather, a LabRadar just isn't high enough on my personal priority list yet.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 9:11:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Would agree on the trigger since the built in sonic trigger is so bad, but I use AAs just fine.  As for a case, it's not exactly delicate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm often not too delicate with my gear, so for me, it would be a must have
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 9:12:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Of course not.  If the tone of my post came across as critical of the LabRadar, it wasn't intended that way.

If I decide to buy a new handgun that's in a form factor I don't already own, I go ahead and factor in the cost of a new holster and extra mags. If it's going to carry a light, I factor that in too.  Same with a pistol optic.  

I can see all the positives of a LabRadar, but IMO for me, there would be extras.  It's not the cost of extras that is keeping me away from a LabRadar, I just don't have the free cash to float for the base cost.  Or rather, a LabRadar just isn't high enough on my personal priority list yet.
View Quote

Fair enough. People should not look at the price tag as $550. They should really consider all the extras they want as a base price bolt on.

Everyone will get a case of some sort I reckon. I bought an orange Pelican case. Everyone will need a way to mount it. I have the base and also a DSLR tripod. I knew I wanted batteries (I use rechargable lithium AAs because AI don't want to wear out/break the USB connector), and I bought the air gun trigger before I learned of the accelerometer trigger.

I knew going into it that it was closer to a $750 endeavor.

Still worth it in my book. But to each their own.

I just don't want the inability to reliably trigger to be the deciding factor for someone to shy away from the LR. It is an awesome piece of hardware with a few flaws, the main one of which is easily remedied (the trigger). And there are still a lot of people that aren't aware the accelerometer trigger exists.

The Bluetooth on the other hand is beyond hope. I never use it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 2:55:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Eh, you don't have to spend big money once you have it.  

Me:
-$12 (at the time), for a strong little benchtop tripod.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D76RNLS

-Use an old range-bag for the rig and stuff (already paid for and not being used.)

-Use AA rechargeables I already have.  The new Li-Poly rechargeable techonology is totally the way to go btw - those last forever.  Though most to the time, I just run a USB battery pack that by 2021, everyone should have one around anyway (already paid for)

-Use an old Kindle Fire (or phone) for the bluetooth feature. (already paid for and not being used)

-Use the oldest SD or micro SD card I can possibly find (the older and smaller, the better), and make sure formated FAT (or FAT32).   (already paid for and not being used)

-Figure out that putting it close to the muzzle, triggers very reliably. (no cost)

So basically, after my initial $600 expense, I've tracked countless thousands of traces by now, with an additional $12 investement.  (plus maybe $1 in electricity recharging batteries I already had).
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 4:21:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
-Figure out that putting it close to the muzzle, triggers very reliably. (no cost)
View Quote

I agree with most of what you said, and the above may apply to you, but anyone with a suppressed firearm may not be able to use this technique reliably.

For instance, my Suppressed 300 BLK is quieter 6" away than the unsuppressed AR in .223 50' away.

Air gun trigger doesn't work either in this case, since it will pick up the AR down the range a ways and still register a shot, perhaps missing yours if it triggers at the wrong time.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 6:20:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Or you could buy a chronograph that’s works out of the box without finicky setup and having to Velcro shit to your gun… that doesn’t eat batteries and that is portable… for 1/3rd the price
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 9:18:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Or you could buy a chronograph that’s works out of the box without finicky setup and having to Velcro shit to your gun… that doesn’t eat batteries and that is portable… for 1/3rd the price
View Quote

OP stated that he doesn't use regular chronos because of the hassle of having to set them up at public ranges
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 10:09:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Lab radar

For me it was not only the ability to Interface with my phone but also knowing there wasn’t anything to worry about shooting.  

I made the trigger mentioned earlier in the thread.   Made a few more and gave them away to friends who also have a lab radar.   It works great just remember to disarm in between shots.  

I have one trigger in a fancy 3D printed pic rail adapter thanks to a nice member here but now just use one that’s shrink wrapped.  I place it between my support hand and firearm or tie around scope

The versatility is what really sold me.  Pellet guns.  Archery.  Rifle and pistol.  It does it all with minimal/no change.

Set up is easy to me. All I have is a straw taped on top.  Use the same tripod my shooting chrony lived on.  

Both the magneto speed and opticals are nice. Very tempting for the price. However they are not a lab radar even in the best of circumstances
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 11:07:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

OP stated that he doesn't use regular chronos because of the hassle of having to set them up at public ranges
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've used a few different chronos over the years and have had issues with all of them. When they work well it's fantastic and other times I've wanted to shoot them.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 11:24:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I've used a few different chronos over the years and have had issues with all of them. When they work well it's fantastic and other times I've wanted to shoot them.
View Quote

I will say for the budget crowd the Caldwell G2 Ballistic is amazing. The Chrono is inverted so it looks at the ground. It uses LED light bars to cast the shadow on the sensors.

It really is quite nice. I had a jacket separate and trash the screen of mine but it still works. Haven't pulled it out since I got the LR though.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 12:02:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I will say for the budget crowd the Caldwell G2 Ballistic is amazing. The Chrono is inverted so it looks at the ground. It uses LED light bars to cast the shadow on the sensors.

It really is quite nice. I had a jacket separate and trash the screen of mine but it still works. Haven't pulled it out since I got the LR though.
View Quote

My other Chrono is an F1.  Did the job but hated setting it up.  Always felt like the rods and screen were about to fall apart, and they often did.  So glad to not deal with it anymore.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 7:11:21 AM EDT
[#45]
What's the general price range for a LabRadar if you catch a sale? Are there any particular vendors who seem more likely to have better pricing?
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 7:18:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What's the general price range for a LabRadar if you catch a sale? Are there any particular vendors who seem more likely to have better pricing?
View Quote

LabRadar has a fixed price.

$560. No coupons allowed.

They run a sale once a year, typically in November, for $499. All vendors run the sale. They increased the price from $550 to $560 so this might not be a valid sale price anymore since the price was $550 last November.

Beat bet is to buy from Brownells for the forever warranty.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 1:42:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Sounds like the Lab Radar would be the overwhelming choice and maybe the only choice if budget was no concern. If all you are doing is rifle stuff that is compatible with the magneto it's a pretty cool solution.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sounds like a good idea. The sun here plays hell with them. I was thinking of buying the infared kit but never did since I stopped shooting anything I needed to chrono. At the big USPSA matches they'd always build chrono boxes to get them to work reliably which is a good solution but can be a pain in the ass for a individual.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 6:01:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

My other Chrono is an F1.  Did the job but hated setting it up.  Always felt like the rods and screen were about to fall apart, and they often did.  So glad to not deal with it anymore.
View Quote

Those steel rods are also a hazard if you happen to shoot one; the impact will pretty much destroy that sensor.  That’s why I followed the advice from someone here long ago and replaced the steel rods (in normal use) with wooden dowel rods.  I blew the heck out of one of those dowels with a .45 Colt not too long ago, and the sensor didn’t notice.

The downrange aspect of all optical chronographs is a bummer.  You set it up and use tricks to keep your bullet paths inside the sensor windows but away from the sensors themselves.  You alternately pray for clear skies and curse the sky light when it isn’t quite right.  And even when the equipment, setup and weather are all in your favor, you need to copy your data into some software that lets you make sense of it.  I’ve gotta say that Oehler’s 35P is almost perfect for an optical device.  It does fine in all kinds of light, has huge sensor windows, and is a rock solid performer.  If only it didn’t need to be set up downrange…

Both Labrador and Magnetospeed record their data digitally to an SD card, so you can just import it to a spreadsheet.  Both stay behind the firing line, so they are “unlikely” to be shot.  And for the most part they both work fine in almost any weather or lighting.

My Magnetospeed was as expensive as I could manage.  Sure, it would be great to just set up a box, turn it on, and start capturing data, but for me the extra setup for the Magnetospeed is tolerable.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 6:39:40 PM EDT
[#49]
I have the magneto speed sporter.

It's accurate, compact and easy to setup. Scrolling through the data is extremely clunky though.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 6:44:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I have the magneto speed sporter.

It's accurate, compact and easy to setup. Scrolling through the data is extremely clunky though.
View Quote

Yeah they both have clunky interfaces.

For my LabRadar, I wrote a VBA program to consolidate the data, color code data tables (heat maps), and help automate cleaning the data by making it easier to delete bad shots.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top