Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/17/2021 1:41:20 AM EDT
Hi there! Shower me with your wisdom! I'm probably going to order a YHM R9 here some time. Been tossing around the idea of suppressing a hand gun. I know very little about it. What works. What doesn't. how much its going to end up costing. What guns work and what doesn't. Does it matter what the size/length of the gun/barrel is? Can I shoot any ammo out of these thing both suppress and unsuppressed? etc

The three different ones I'm looking at doing might be a 80% GST-9, FN 509 9mm, or Sig P320/18/17 9mm. Probably pick one of those three. Just don't know what one to go for.

What I do care about is (as silly as it sound): Having a FDE gun, being able to put a red dot it, having suppressor height sights, and being able to use a R9 on it or not and still having it work with any ammo (is this even possible?).

- The GST-9. Like it because of the type of gun it is . no ides if its even a good idea to try and suppress these guys? Or if people have had problems doing it. Or what the cost is going to end up being. Is this going to turn into a $1500 project?

- Sig P320/18/17. Have family members with p320 so it would be nice to be able to use the same mags.

- FN 509. Heard its good at suppressing out of the box? Never shot one. It looks nice lol. but would have to buy all new mages for a new type of gun.

Note: Will have to buy new mags no matter what guy I use.

Link Posted: 4/17/2021 2:18:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Glocks are probably the easiest to suppress. Lots of parts and options. Reasonably cheap also. Hammer fired guns are a little quieter than striker fired guns. My favorite 9mm host is a Beretta M9 with a gemtech barrel. Its fabulously accurate but being M9 youre kinda boned when it comes to sights. I think the hot setup for a 92 would be something with a dovetailed front sight like a custom job with a brigadier slide or an M9A3. The only reason I haven’t bought one is because I hate the vertec grip. If you like the straight grip I bet an A3 would scratch your itch.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 8:23:19 AM EDT
[#2]
A CGS MOD 9 is what you want for a handgun. It's light has the weight at the rear and is about the quietest for a handgun. A lot of suppressors on pistols are heavy and not as fun as you'd think but the MOD 9 balances very well. The other thing about suppressors on pistols is they get loose and have to be tightened every few shots but Griffin made the Cam Lok so that doesn't have to be the case anymore.  You'll want to get that for whichever can you end up purchasing.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 9:23:28 AM EDT
[#3]
You don't want to use the R9 on a handgun.  I bought a R9 for my PTR, but I decided to try it on my handgun just to see.  I found it to be considerably gassier than my Obsidian 45.  Also, it feels ridiculously heavy.  I'm not sure what it is as it's only 1 ounce heavier than the Obsidian in the long config, but it feels significantly heavier to me.  

Look at the CGS Mod9 or the Rugged Obsidian.  I know you didn't mention 45, but you might want to go with one in case you decide to get a 45 pistol down the road.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 9:42:49 AM EDT
[#4]
FN 509 T has suppressor height sights, good RDS mounting, and threaded barrel. No brainer for me, even though I don't plan to use an RDS just yet.

Will be getting an Obsidian 45. It is versatile.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 9:55:21 AM EDT
[#5]

It's not your preferred FDE but the urban gray from CZ is pretty nice.  This p07 came with the threaded barrel and suppressor height night sights right out of the box.  I bought the booster for the R9 because I like options.  Is it ideal? No.  Is it usable? Absolutely.

The sight picture even with the suppressor height sights is obscured. I also have an Octane 2.0 on the way that I've used on this p07 and the sight picture isn't obscured by the can.  I did find I got more crap back in the face with the Octane and while it also spit some crap back with the R9 not nearly as much.  Sound wise seemed about the same to me.  Both of my R9s will primarily be on a PCC or rifle host anyway but its nice to know I can use it on a handgun if I want.

I might try one of those micro Roni kits one day.  Crap back to the face shouldn't be an issue with the Roni kit in the way.   I think the R9 is probably too thick for the micro Roni so I'll have to use the Octane.  We shall see.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 9:59:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A CGS MOD 9 is what you want for a handgun. It's light has the weight at the rear and is about the quietest for a handgun. A lot of suppressors on pistols are heavy and not as fun as you'd think but the MOD 9 balances very well. The other thing about suppressors on pistols is they get loose and have to be tightened every few shots but Griffin made the Cam Lok so that doesn't have to be the case anymore.  You'll want to get that for whichever can you end up purchasing.
View Quote
I agree with this.  The R9 is a 9mm carbine suppressor.  Also Griffin Cam Lok rocks!

No offence to JeremyWills, but: This More Better

Link Posted: 4/17/2021 10:13:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/yQXriBNh.jpg

It's not your preferred FDE but the urban gray from CZ is pretty nice.  This p07 came with the threaded barrel and suppressor height night sights right out of the box.  I bought the booster for the R9 because I like options.  Is it ideal? No.  Is it usable? Absolutely.

The sight picture even with the suppressor height sights is obscured. I also have an Octane 2.0 on the way that I've used on this p07 and the sight picture isn't obscured by the can.  I did find I got more crap back in the face with the Octane and while it also spit some crap back with the R9 not nearly as much.  Sound wise seemed about the same to me.  Both of my R9s will primarily be on a PCC or rifle host anyway but its nice to know I can use it on a handgun if I want.

I might try one of those micro Roni kits one day.  Crap back to the face shouldn't be an issue with the Roni kit in the way.   I think the R9 is probably too thick for the micro Roni so I'll have to use the Octane.  We shall see.
View Quote

Oh hi jeremywills!

I believe you all that the CGS MOD 9 is better at being 9mm handgun host. I'm going to be doing pretty much exactly what jeremywills is doing - using the R9 primarily for a PPC and some times rifle host. But would like the option to stick it on a 9mm hand gun every once in a while. If I end up realllly likeing suppressing hand gun stuff I may order CGS MOD 9.

What is this thing your talking about? --> "the booster for the R9 because I like options"

Link Posted: 4/17/2021 10:16:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Does it matter what the size/length of the gun/barrel is? Can I shoot any ammo out of these thing both suppress and unsuppressed? etc
View Quote
Yeah, you can pretty much shoot any good quality factory ammo through your suppressor.  You don't want some garbage that will gunk up your baffles. You also don't want a baffle strike. Don't buy someone's reloads. Probably should avoid cheap Russian steel case.

The other thing is supersonic vs subsonic. 147s and heavier can generally be subsonic and quieter. 115-124gr will be supersonic and make a loud crack as they go down range.  

I'm playing with a little 3" barreled S&W Shield that keeps some 124gr ammo subsonic so barrel length can make a difference. A long 5-6" barrel may even push 147gr supersonic.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 10:30:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yeah, you can pretty much shoot any good quality factory ammo through your suppressor.  You don't want some garbage that will gunk up your baffles. You also don't want a baffle strike. Don't buy someone's reloads. Probably should avoid cheap Russian steel case.

The other thing is supersonic vs subsonic. 147s and heavier can generally be subsonic and quieter. 115-124gr will be supersonic and make a loud crack as they go down range.  

I'm playing with a little 3" barreled S&W Shield that keeps some 124gr ammo subsonic so barrel length can make a difference. A long 5-6" barrel may even push 147gr supersonic.
View Quote

So it sounds like...

You can use any barrel length. but 3, 4, 4.5 would work best?

You can generally use any type of ammo with the suppressor on and off and not run into problems?
Meaning you wont run into problems with the slide not cycling in a round and firing - things like that. Like I wont be stuck having to tune a hang gun to one type of ammo to get it to work with special parts and then having to swap the barrel & spring to shoot normal PMC target ammo.

147gr is better & TMJ type ammo is better.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 10:36:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Just about anything can be coated to FDE.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 10:58:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just about anything can be coated to FDE.
View Quote

Ya I have cerakoted a bunch of stuff. But I would rather have one already in FDE so I don't have to do it - and pay for it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:08:27 AM EDT
[#12]
My random thoughts...

I wouldn't worry about suppressing a centerfire pistol unless you've suppressed everything else first. Many of us that have been down this road are not all that impressed with suppressed handguns because of weight, balance, sighting, holsters, etc..

The R9 would be an excellent step into the suppressor game as it can be used on a number of different hosts/calibers. If you get the R9, focus on a PCC first because that is where it will shine the most and then sure, try it on a handgun to see if that's even a road you want to go down.

If I was buying a suppressor right now specifically for a handgun, I would look at the CGS Mod 9.

A lot of people will tell you if you are going to buy a pistol suppressor to get a 45cal suppressor. That's fine if you have a bunch of 45's or 40 cal pistols that you want to suppress but if you are like me and mostly only shoot 9mm then stick with a 9mm suppressor because they are typically shorter, lighter and sound better on 9mm hosts. Remember one of the shittiest things about suppressed pistols is the weight/length/balance of them so don't get a longer/heavier 45 suppressor because maybe, someday, you might want to shoot a few rounds of 40 or 45.

As for a host, I Highly recommend avoiding any Glock or Glock derivative as they are one of the worst host types IMO. I wouldn't go with the P320 line either because of the way the recoil guide rod sticks out during cycling, it requires you use a longer than average barrel so that the suppressor can clear the guide rod during cycling. The best 9mm suppressor hosts include the 1911, Sig P226 and Beretta 92. The BHP should be good too but haven't tried that one personally but typically speaking, all metal handguns are almost always better then polymers guns when talking suppressed.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:17:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My random thoughts...

I wouldn't worry about suppressing a centerfire pistol unless you've suppressed everything else first. Many of us that have been down this road are not all that impressed with suppressed handguns because of weight, balance, sighting, holsters, etc..

The R9 would be an excellent step into the suppressor game as it can be used on a number of different hosts/calibers. If you get the R9, focus on a PCC first because that is where it will shine the most and then sure, try it on a handgun to see if that's even a road you want to go down.

If I was buying a suppressor right now specifically for a handgun, I would look at the CGS Mod 9.

A lot of people will tell you if you are going to buy a pistol suppressor to get a 45cal suppressor. That's fine if you have a bunch of 45's or 40 cal pistols that you want to suppress but if you are like me and mostly only shoot 9mm then stick with a 9mm suppressor because they are typically shorter, lighter and sound better on 9mm hosts. Remember one of the shittiest things about suppressed pistols is the weight/length/balance of them so don't get a longer/heavier 45 suppressor because maybe, someday, you might want to shoot a few rounds of 40 or 45.

As for a host, I Highly recommend avoiding any Glock or Glock derivative as they are one of the worst host types IMO. I wouldn't go with the P320 line either because of the way the recoil guide rod sticks out during cycling, it requires you use a longer than average barrel so that the suppressor can clear the guide rod during cycling. The best 9mm suppressor hosts include the 1911, Sig P226 and Beretta 92. The BHP should be good too but haven't tried that one personally but typically speaking, all metal handguns are almost always better then polymers guns when talking suppressed.
View Quote

This...

I have a handful of suppressed pistols but Im pretty much over it for the same reasons. Having a home range is good though since I can just shoot them at will and no need for holster.
Ive also found that 9mm glocks are not the best suppressed. too much blowback for me.

I do have one firearm that I really love suppressed though..
FN FNX tactical in 45 auto with Liberty cosmic on it. In my opinion the 45 is a far better pistol to suppress..
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:19:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So it sounds like...

You can use any barrel length. but 3, 4, 4.5 would work best?

You can generally use any type of ammo with the suppressor on and off and not run into problems?
Meaning you wont run into problems with the slide not cycling in a round and firing - things like that. Like I wont be stuck having to tune a hang gun to one type of ammo to get it to work with special parts and then having to swap the barrel & spring to shoot normal PMC target ammo.

147gr is better & TMJ type ammo is better.
View Quote
Correct.

I mean if you have a 5" 9mm handgun it will certainly work. Guys do 8-16" PCCs suppressed. I have a 5" 9mm AR15 that sounds great suppressed and a 10" 9mm AK-V that still sounds OK suppressed, both shooting 158gr which I pretty much dedicate to those two guns for sound reasons.  I'm just saying that if you are buying or building a 9mm gun and intending to mostly shoot it suppressed, shorter barrel is better to allow a larger variety of ammo to stay subsonic.

As long as your gun is not race tuned for the softest shooting possible with light springs and a lightened slide, reliability should not be a problem suppressed or not. Generally though, you will tend to shoot heavier 147-158gr ammo suppressed and the cheaper 115gr when shooting unsuppressed.  The lighter/cheaper stuff will be louder and you won't want to waste the heavier/pricier/quieter stuff shooting unsuppressed.

Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a Rugged Obsidian 9 that goes on my FN509T and M&P 9L.

On the 509, I have to tighten every few rounds as it likes to walk off even with Teflon tape. Not as much as a problem on the M&P with Apex barrel; perhaps a thread tolerance issue on the 509? I dunno.

I think I shoot more rimfire with that can than 9mm.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:30:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm of the other mind. I don't see centerfire rifle suppressors as useful as handgun suppressors.

I started with 9mm suppressor for handguns. I actually started with a Maxim 9 and CGS Kraken (Mod9).  I love them. But I shoot on my own property. Keeping the noise down is a big benefit for me.  Balance isn't a problem with the Kraken, but yeah it can be with other suppressors. Weight and balance are definitely something to consider. When I need to practice drawing from a holster I use the Maxim or just go to an actual range with unsuppressed handguns, or dry fire. The Maxim looks bulky but it in full length config, it weighs about the same as a full size steel framed 1911 BTW, and most of the weight balance is to the rear.

It took me a long time to warm up to suppressing centerfire rifles. They are still loud even suppressed. Honestly, I only see rifle suppressors as useful for hunting, home/property defense or just taming the concussion of SBRs. For general rifle practice on my own property, PCCs with a pistol suppressor (or R9/Wolfman/etc) works better for me. If I'm on a real range I don't bother with suppressors. Usually some guy with a brake is right nearby anyway.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:40:03 AM EDT
[#17]
FN or HK vp9t

Simple out of the box ready.

For pistols I have silencerco and GA, all mine work just fine, no complaints with any of them
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What is this thing your talking about? --> "the booster for the R9 because I like options"

View Quote
To run a suppressor on a tilting barrel pistol, you need a booster (aka: piston, Nielson Device).  This uses a spring to temporarily float the weight of the suppressor and allow the pistol to cycle properly.

PCC suppressors like the YHM R9, DA Wolfman and others usually do not come with these in the box because these suppressors are not primarily intended for use on pistols. They are optionally available accessories however if one wants that versatility.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 12:11:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I agree with others that centerfire rifle suppressors are most useful (for saving your hearing) and rimfire most fun (cheap to shoot and closest to Hollyweird quiet).  Pistol cans reduce the handiness of a handgun and defensive pistol practice should emulate the expected mode of operation/carry.  

BUT the Griffin Cam Lok piston system and muzzle adapter makes a “carry” handgun suppressor much more practical/useful for applications such as car gun, ranch or quad gun, night stand/hotel room, hiking/camping, etc.  Anywhere you have space to carry the accessory and a little time to quickly do a 1/3 twist.  On something like an Obisidian 45 you can mount across multiple calibers without swapping anything out on the can.  One consideration is impact shift.  That’s something to be qualified for practicality for any given host.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 2:12:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My random thoughts...

I wouldn't worry about suppressing a centerfire pistol unless you've suppressed everything else first. Many of us that have been down this road are not all that impressed with suppressed handguns

As for a host, I Highly recommend avoiding any Glock or Glock derivative as they are one of the worst host types IMO.
View Quote

He dropped some knowledge on you, I agree with pretty much all of it.

Picking a host based on FDE color? That's

Glocks are only halfway retarded to put a boostered can on. Loud and the spit lots of shit in your face. They are actually pretty fun without the booster, for single shot mode, just have to rack the slide every shot.

If you're only gonna get the R9 and not a separate can for handguns, it'll work but you'll need a handgun that'll have a red dot on it, as r9 is fat and will probably block even the tallest irons? There's a company that can put an optic on an M9A3 now, that be my choice, have wanted one for a while (in black though). I think I've heard positive stuff about the 509 as a host. P226 is supposed to be good too.

I wouldn't bother, unless there's one that you want anyway.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 2:30:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Second the M9. My favorite host. You end up hanging a fair amount of weight off the muzzle, and so in 9mm I really prefer a full size handgun.

I haven't been happy with Glock or most polymer performance. A lighter handgun can bite you because you are adding 9-16oz off the front end. A suppressed handgun is fun for field work, shooting where you would otherwise bother folks, ringing steel, etc. It isn't "practical" in the way rimfire or centerfire rifle can be. I ended up going with the Hybrid 45, which I was happy with because it works okay on so many different weapons, even if it is a little heavy and big for a handgun (still works well though). I run a 9mm endcap on it when shooting 9mm. Also, if you have any handgun that can be supressed, just get a threaded barrel for that before you buy a new gun. Suppressor height sights aren't really that important for most usage because you can aim "through" the can, or put a red dot on the gun.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 4:26:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Second the M9. My favorite host. You end up hanging a fair amount of weight off the muzzle, and so in 9mm I really prefer a full size handgun.

I haven't been happy with Glock or most polymer performance. A lighter handgun can bite you because you are adding 9-16oz off the front end. A suppressed handgun is fun for field work, shooting where you would otherwise bother folks, ringing steel, etc. It isn't "practical" in the way rimfire or centerfire rifle can be. I ended up going with the Hybrid 45, which I was happy with because it works okay on so many different weapons, even if it is a little heavy and big for a handgun (still works well though). I run a 9mm endcap on it when shooting 9mm. Also, if you have any handgun that can be supressed, just get a threaded barrel for that before you buy a new gun. Suppressor height sights aren't really that important for most usage because you can aim "through" the can, or put a red dot on the gun.
View Quote

Thanks everyone for the info and your various opinions! Very helpful.

I have 4 other cans all for rifles. And a 22lr can in jail. Most of my stuff is all rifles and pullpups. Like shooting them Way more then hands guns. So getting a R9 is a much better fit for me. I only have a p938 and ruger 57. Would like to suppress the 57 but there is no threaded barrel out for it yet.

So at some point I’m going to get a medium to full size hand gun. I would like the option to stick a suppressor on it. That’s why I’m trying to figure all this stuff out a head of time!
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 4:28:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
To run a suppressor on a tilting barrel pistol, you need a booster (aka: piston, Nielson Device).  This uses a spring to temporarily float the weight of the suppressor and allow the pistol to cycle properly.

PCC suppressors like the YHM R9, DA Wolfman and others usually do not come with these in the box because these suppressors are not primarily intended for use on pistols. They are optionally available accessories however if one wants that versatility.
View Quote

Ahhhh. Thanks that makes sense
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 4:36:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Idk my AAC Tirant on my 509t gives a ton of back blast.

On the other hand my glock is pretty easy shooting ???????
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 9:06:53 AM EDT
[#25]
I have ran 1000s of rounds through my G19(factory threaded barrel) and Octane 45.  They work great together with no blowback to the face and quiet.

The trick is to reload your own ammo for suppressor use.  I use 3.8g of Tite Group and a 124gr bullet, or a 147gr with 3.5gr TG.

The nice thing about Glocks is you can completely strip them down quickly and easily for cleaning.  As you know suppressed guns get dirty.  It takes me 5min to totally strip a Glock.  Hammer fired guns, especially DA/SA are no where near as easy.

I also have an R9 but use it on my 300 Hamr and eventually a 350 Legend.  I tried it on my HK SP5 and the Octane sounds a tad bit better.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 10:49:05 AM EDT
[#26]
OP, sounds like you got a good game plan going in.   You  won't regret the R9.  For the price its a win no matter what host or role you wind up employing it.  Someone answered your question to me a few posts back, sorry I haven't been able to check back in but yes, I like options and the booster for the R9 is optional.  About 75-80 bucks for the booster unit itself and similar for the piston depending on where you purchase it.  I got the YHM booster and a 1/2x28 Rugged piston from Silencer shop.  About 150 with tax total if I remember correctly.  I probably will use the Octane more as the handgun option but if I decided to get the threaded barrel for my Beretta M9 I can have 2 suppressed guns and dual wield them because you know, "options"

Link Posted: 4/18/2021 11:04:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 11:49:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
OP, sounds like you got a good game plan going in.   You  won't regret the R9.  For the price its a win no matter what host or role you wind up employing it.  Someone answered your question to me a few posts back, sorry I haven't been able to check back in but yes, I like options and the booster for the R9 is optional.  About 75-80 bucks for the booster unit itself and similar for the piston depending on where you purchase it.  I got the YHM booster and a 1/2x28 Rugged piston from Silencer shop.  About 150 with tax total if I remember correctly.  I probably will use the Octane more as the handgun option but if I decided to get the threaded barrel for my Beretta M9 I can have 2 suppressed guns and dual wield them because you know, "options"

View Quote

Ahhh i see. Thanks for the info. Your talking about this thig YHM-2055. Then stick a piston on it. Are most hand guns going to need that setup? Or will some will and some wont based on the tilt of the barrel? Or am i totally confused?

https://yhm.net/nielsen-booster-assembly.html

For example i think the sig p320 barrels tilt? So i would need a YHM-2055 + piston in it? Or could i screw the R9 strait onto a threaded barrel by its self?

What about say a FN 509? Wold i need the above yhm-5055 + piston? Or something else?

What happens if you use a YHM-2055 + piston on a strait barreled hand gun?

A side question. With a R9 amd a PCC. I could screw it strait on the barrel - but it might work its way off. Or use a 3 lug adapter or some other setup right? Any know what all parts are required to work for that?
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 2:04:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have ran 1000s of rounds through my G19(factory threaded barrel) and Octane 45.  They work great together with no blowback to the face and quiet.

The trick is to reload your own ammo for suppressor use.  I use 3.8g of Tite Group and a 124gr bullet, or a 147gr with 3.5gr TG.

The nice thing about Glocks is you can completely strip them down quickly and easily for cleaning.  As you know suppressed guns get dirty.  It takes me 5min to totally strip a Glock.  Hammer fired guns, especially DA/SA are no where near as easy.

I also have an R9 but use it on my 300 Hamr and eventually a 350 Legend.  I tried it on my HK SP5 and the Octane sounds a tad bit better.
View Quote

This has been my experience as well.  Ammo makes a big difference. My reloads with Titegroup are quieter than Speer Lawman 147.  My reloads with Accurate #5 felt like a sandblaster.  Other decent powders for subsonic are Win231 and AA#2.  The Vihtvouri powders are also good and much cleaner burning than Titegroup.   Powder fill is low so you have to be careful for squib loads or incomplete powder drop.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 3:16:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This has been my experience as well.  Ammo makes a big difference. My reloads with Titegroup are quieter than Speer Lawman 147.  My reloads with Accurate #5 felt like a sandblaster.  Other decent powders for subsonic are Win231 and AA#2.  The Vihtvouri powders are also good and much cleaner burning than Titegroup.   Powder fill is low so you have to be careful for squib loads or incomplete powder drop.
View Quote

I need to finally start dabbling with some 9mm subsonic reloading.  I have the dies but never have done much 9mm anything with it.  I've mainly only used my setup for .38spl loading. I was lucky to snag 1000 small pistol primers recently so I'm good again for a while. I was down to just a couple 100 and was saving them if I had to load up some emergency .38s at some point.  I have Titegroup in addition to some Unique and HP38 left.  I've never had a need for anything else.  If memory serves me correctly isn't HP38 and Win231 pretty much the same thing?  Sorry for the slight thread derail.

OP, to answer your previous question, yes you will need to purchase a QD attachment for the R9.  It only comes with a 1/2x28 threaded direct thread insert.  If your planning on using it on a 30 cal host either a 5/8x24 direct thread insert (YHM and many others offer similar ones) or go with a QD of some type.  Keymo, Xeno, Plan A or B, and of course the YHM Phantom are all excellent options. Some 9mm barrels are 1/2x36 so pay attention to any future host purchases you make.  Mounts can add up on you rapidly and can be a pain in the you know what if your having to switch swap em all the time.  If you can settle on one system that doesn't require swapping something all the time it makes life alot simpler. YMMV
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 3:51:59 PM EDT
[#31]

Did a double take, almost thought that was a hi-point for a split second! Opposite ends of the spectrum, I know!
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 4:04:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

A side question. With a R9 amd a PCC. I could screw it strait on the barrel - but it might work its way off. Or use a 3 lug adapter or some other setup right? Any know what all parts are required to work for that?
View Quote

Jeremy covered it some, but one of the beautiful things about the r9 is the 1.375x24 threads on the back. Yes you can direct thread (comes with the can,  in .5 x28), but for PCCs I would highly recommend YHM QD mini flash hider (has a 9mm bore) with the YHM Kurz adapter if/when you can find one. Are you the guy that has YHM rifle cans and mounts? If so, those mounts are compatible, you could snap the r9 on those hosts, if you wanted (depending on length if using Kurz adapter, I think).

Or for a minimalist mount (price!, weight, length, excellent functionality) look into Area 419's hellfire system.  419s muzzle devices are like thread adapters but have a locking taper and left hand threads so your muzzle device and suppressor mount should never have a problem sticking together. They might look a little funny on a skinny barrel but they should have the can covering them anyway!
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 8:56:16 PM EDT
[#33]
I was asking OP’s question back in the fall myself.   I decided on a Glock 17 and an Innovative Arms SX9 can. Form 4 was approved a week ago today. Just waiting on the mail now.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 9:33:24 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a Wolfman in possession, and a Obsidian 45 pending, and a 9mm endcap on backorder.

I have a FN 509 and a Beretta 92A1 as handgun hoasts.

As of right now I want to sell the FN, its way to gassy

The Beretta is much nicer

I hope the Obsidian will be better on the 509
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 11:37:43 PM EDT
[#35]
I guess I'm going to go a different direction with this question. Having several suppressed centerfire pistols, they mostly all suck. However, the HK USP45 Tactical and the KAC can that goes with it is phenomenal. That is suppressed centerfire pistol perfection. I'd imagine that the Mk 23 would be even better. No loose cans or booster housings every few rounds. Great set up. Suppressed rimfire pistols however, are perhaps my favorite firearms to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 12:35:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I need to finally start dabbling with some 9mm subsonic reloading.  I have the dies but never have done much 9mm anything with it.  I've mainly only used my setup for .38spl loading. I was lucky to snag 1000 small pistol primers recently so I'm good again for a while. I was down to just a couple 100 and was saving them if I had to load up some emergency .38s at some point.  I have Titegroup in addition to some Unique and HP38 left.  I've never had a need for anything else.  If memory serves me correctly isn't HP38 and Win231 pretty much the same thing?  Sorry for the slight thread derail.

OP, to answer your previous question, yes you will need to purchase a QD attachment for the R9.  It only comes with a 1/2x28 threaded direct thread insert.  If your planning on using it on a 30 cal host either a 5/8x24 direct thread insert (YHM and many others offer similar ones) or go with a QD of some type.  Keymo, Xeno, Plan A or B, and of course the YHM Phantom are all excellent options. Some 9mm barrels are 1/2x36 so pay attention to any future host purchases you make.  Mounts can add up on you rapidly and can be a pain in the you know what if your having to switch swap em all the time.  If you can settle on one system that doesn't require swapping something all the time it makes life alot simpler. YMMV
View Quote

Thanks for the info. Since I already have 4x YHM cans I went with a all YHM QD system. I think I already have 5 YHM QD mounts on various stuff and bout a good 8 more to use and have in stock. To make sure I could get them while available haha
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 12:48:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Jeremy covered it some, but one of the beautiful things about the r9 is the 1.375x24 threads on the back. Yes you can direct thread (comes with the can,  in .5 x28), but for PCCs I would highly recommend YHM QD mini flash hider (has a 9mm bore) with the YHM Kurz adapter if/when you can find one. Are you the guy that has YHM rifle cans and mounts? If so, those mounts are compatible, you could snap the r9 on those hosts, if you wanted (depending on length if using Kurz adapter, I think).

Or for a minimalist mount (price!, weight, length, excellent functionality) look into Area 419's hellfire system.  419s muzzle devices are like thread adapters but have a locking taper and left hand threads so your muzzle device and suppressor mount should never have a problem sticking together. They might look a little funny on a skinny barrel but they should have the can covering them anyway!
View Quote

Ya that may have been me. Been posting other stuff about them. I have a new and old style yhm resonator and new and old style yhm turbo. All using YHM QD mounts.

Thanks for the info.

So to clarify. If I got a CS scorpion or PSA pm5 haha just joking mp5 clone or what ever.. it would be better to put a YHM Mine QD mount + Kurtz adapter on it vs a 3 lug mount?

If I got the R9 will the normal 556 & 30cal YHM mounts not fit inside the R9??? I could only use the mine mounts?? Ug
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 12:51:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have a Wolfman in possession, and a Obsidian 45 pending, and a 9mm endcap on backorder.

I have a FN 509 and a Beretta 92A1 as handgun hoasts.

As of right now I want to sell the FN, its way to gassy

The Beretta is much nicer

I hope the Obsidian will be better on the 509
View Quote

Would love to hear how that turns out with the 509. Iv read other stuff about it being really gassy. But also read it may have to do with can & ammo also. I don’t know. No personal experience
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 1:57:25 AM EDT
[#39]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9z3wHwSmZ8

It looks like according to that video that the R9 will work with any of the YHM QD mounts. Including the normal big ones (YHM-3102 & YHM-4302). If you want to use the mini's you can. but you can also use the big ones.

https://yhm.net/yhm-3102-phantom-turbo.html
https://yhm.net/30-cal-phantom-nitro-resonator.html
with probably this (confirmed from email from YHM)
https://yhm.net/phantom-qd-adapter.html - YHM-3060
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 2:21:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My favorite 9mm host is a Beretta M9 with a gemtech barrel. Its fabulously accurate but being M9 youre kinda boned when it comes to sights. I think the hot setup for a 92 would be something with a dovetailed front sight like a custom job with a brigadier slide or an M9A3. The only reason I haven't bought one is because I hate the vertec grip. If you like the straight grip I bet an A3 would scratch your itch.
View Quote
+1 a NON-boosted suppressed Beretta was my favorite till the Maxim 9 came out.  I just use the Maxim these days.  
I hate boosted pistol cans myself.

@DvlDog, the now discontinued Beretta 90-TWO sound's like something you might like.  It has a dovetailed front sight and the grips are modular.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 2:43:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
+1 a NON-boosted suppressed Beretta was my favorite till the Maxim 9 came out.  I just use the Maxim these days.  

@DvlDog, the now discontinued Beretta 90-TWO sound's like something you might like.  It has a dovetailed front sight and the grips are modular.
View Quote

Do you not have to used a boosted suppressor on the Beretta  because the barrel does not move vertically? or some other reason?

Can you explain why you hate boosted pistol cans?
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 3:44:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Hi there! Shower me with your wisdom! I'm probably going to order a YHM R9 here some time. Been tossing around the idea of suppressing a hand gun. I know very little about it. What works. What doesn't. how much its going to end up costing. What guns work and what doesn't. Does it matter what the size/length of the gun/barrel is? Can I shoot any ammo out of these thing both suppress and unsuppressed? etc

The three different ones I'm looking at doing might be a 80% GST-9, FN 509 9mm, or Sig P320/18/17 9mm. Probably pick one of those three. Just don't know what one to go for.

What I do care about is (as silly as it sound): Having a FDE gun, being able to put a red dot it, having suppressor height sights, and being able to use a R9 on it or not and still having it work with any ammo (is this even possible?).

- The GST-9. Like it because of the type of gun it is . no ides if its even a good idea to try and suppress these guys? Or if people have had problems doing it. Or what the cost is going to end up being. Is this going to turn into a $1500 project?

- Sig P320/18/17. Have family members with p320 so it would be nice to be able to use the same mags.

- FN 509. Heard its good at suppressing out of the box? Never shot one. It looks nice lol. but would have to buy all new mages for a new type of gun.

Note: Will have to buy new mags no matter what guy I use.

View Quote

Go with Rugged.  Their stuff is great.  They were quick when I had a baffle strike on my can.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Ya that may have been me. Been posting other stuff about them. I have a new and old style yhm resonator and new and old style yhm turbo. All using YHM QD mounts.

Thanks for the info.

So to clarify. If I got a CS scorpion or PSA pm5 haha just joking mp5 clone or what ever.. it would be better to put a YHM Mine QD mount + Kurtz adapter on it vs a 3 lug mount?

If I got the R9 will the normal 556 & 30cal YHM mounts not fit inside the R9??? I could only use the mine mounts?? Ug
View Quote

It's kind of confusing but look for posts from YHMKevin, he explained it in a different thread, but from what I remember, you can't use the r9 with a kurz mount on a fullsize muzzle device(MD). I think you can however use full size MDs with a full size QD mount in R9. Comes down to blast chamber length.

To make it more confusing, I think you can use fullsize MDs with a kurz mount with something like a resonator.

If you want universal compatibility stick to the fullsize QD mount,  but you can still use the Mini MDs if you want.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 3:46:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Do you not have to used a boosted suppressor on the Beretta  because the barrel does not move vertically? or some other reason?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It depends on the weight.  I use an old Gemtech Trinity that weighs 5.1 oz.  I'm looking at one of my old Gemtech catalogs dated 2001.  The Vortex 9 weighs 6 oz in that catalog.  It also functions on a Beretta without a booster.  Boosters or 'Nielson' devices were just starting to come out back then.  I have several boosted cans I just don't use them.  Consider that most boosters are designed to function on the popular guns that need them.  So say a Glock.  When you put a booster on a gun like a Beretta that can function with a light can then it boosts it too much and sandblasts you in the face.  You will see some people post about hating a suppressed Beretta.  I think the people posting that are using a boosted can on their Beretta.  A non-boosted Beretta is very pleasant to shoot.
You also don't need to mess with the recoil spring.  Just use a 'D' hammer spring which is for the Double action version of the Beretta and it will run with and without the can.

Boosted cans also typically increase the recoil and add length to most cans.

The issue these days, Beretta's are not as popular and most people want a suppressor for a platform that requires a booster.  Not sure what is available these days that is 6 oz or lighter that doesn't have a built in booster.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 3:50:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
CGS Mod 9 is a great can. I really like mine.  It's on the right in this pic attached to my Sig 226.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/19/2021 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes mostly due to the non tilting bbl, if I recall you can get away without a booster on an m9 if you have a light can, otherwise you will need a booster.

You'll figure out why boosters suck the first time you use one. Word of advice, pay special attention to what amphibian says, dude is legit, and knows his shit. He probably has more experience than several regular guys on here combined.

Boosters add complexity, the can is springing around on the bbl, supposedly more wear on the host, bigger POI shifts usually, you have to clean them frequently, change them out for fixed bbl use, and on and on. Not worth it to me, I've decided against them on all cans but one of my oldest. Some will agree and some will cry about how great they are, wait for it...
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Some will agree and some will cry about how great they are, wait for it...
View Quote
We all like and dislike different things. It's not right, it's not wrong. It's OK to disagree.

I'm pretty much opposite of most folks here. I love pistol suppressors (9mm especially), not a big fan of 22LR (suppressed or unsuppressed).

That's the problem with suppressors in this country. Being both unusual and highly regulated, we often have to put more weight than we normally would on other people's advice, experience and opinions of things we just can't try ourselves until we actually own them.

Link Posted: 4/19/2021 6:55:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
We all like and dislike different things. It's not right, it's not wrong. It's OK to disagree.

I'm pretty much opposite of most folks here. I love pistol suppressors (9mm especially), not a big fan of 22LR (suppressed or unsuppressed).

That's the problem with suppressors in this country. Being both unusual and highly regulated, we often have to put more weight than we normally would on other people's advice, experience and opinions of things we just can't try ourselves until we actually own them.

View Quote

Verry good point.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yes mostly due to the non tilting bbl, if I recall you can get away without a booster on an m9 if you have a light can, otherwise you will need a booster.

You'll figure out why boosters suck the first time you use one. Word of advice, pay special attention to what amphibian says, dude is legit, and knows his shit. He probably has more experience than several regular guys on here combined.

Boosters add complexity, the can is springing around on the bbl, supposedly more wear on the host, bigger POI shifts usually, you have to clean them frequently, change them out for fixed bbl use, and on and on. Not worth it to me, I've decided against them on all cans but one of my oldest. Some will agree and some will cry about how great they are, wait for it...
View Quote

Thanks you guys for the really helpful info! This is really helping me fill in some of my info gaps.

So with a PPC barrel length when supressing I was looking at cz scorpions. The stock barrel is about 7.5" ish inches. And the HB industry short kit has a barrel of 5.3".

Is there going to be a noticeable difference between a 7.5 and 5.3?

Leaning towards getting a cz scorpion. I know there are other options that shoot more smoothly. And that are a bit better in their stock config. I dont want to sink 1.5-3k on a ppc.

A HK mp5 type would be cool. But just dont care enough to spend whats required to get into one. If i could pick one up for 800-1k might consider it. But the mags are so spendy etc.

Thoughts on thors PPCs?

I have a fully decked out ps90. LOVE IT. It also cost a lot. About the only thing it doesn't have is a IR/visible laser.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 2:35:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Truth

not a big fan of 22LR (suppressed or unsuppressed).
Fiction! Objectively WRONG! Fuckin Assinine!
View Quote

I like pistol cans too, just not hooked up to a booster.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top