Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 2:51:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thoughts on thors PPCs?

View Quote

Blowback actions suck (standard AR-9, kel-tec s2k, hi-point carbine, and the Scorpion (the CZ might be one of the better blow backs), Ruger PC-9 (haven't heard one muffled), etc). Louder (port pop) and potentially shit in yo face (although probably less than a boostered can on a handgun). Damn that was a lot of parentheses.

Look into CMMG radial delay, Stribog A3 (gets mixed reviews), Sig-MPX (gettin up there in $), and well, you know about Mp5 variants. There were a couple other rumblings of delayed blowback AR types that I think have become vapor-ware or I've not been paying close enough attention (spending all my time in this sub lately). Not sure what happened to Angstadt's version, but it's was more $ than mp5, and that company seems screwy.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 6:23:21 AM EDT
[#2]
We can all agree to disagree lol.

boomboomboom brings up some great points and yes Amphibian's advice has cost me quite a bit with his A5 tube, flat spring, and hydraulic buffer recipe on 2 of my lowers now and its been worth every penny.  Combined with the CMMG RDB upper I put together and the R9 with what I always refer to as the Amphibian special with the buffer makes for a sweet nicely suppressed shooter. That same buffer recipe happens to also work out beautifully for a suppressed 5.56 upper too.  I also have a CZ Scorpion and I'd have to agree for a straight up blowback its one of the nicer options you can roll with.  I have yet to try my Sub2k out with any of the cans but I'm not expecting much to begin with based on what others have said plus just the way its constructed with your cheek bone essentially riding against the metal tube containing the bolt that is next to your ear.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 6:23:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts on thors PPCs?

What is that?  I had to Google that....Looks like a typical straight blowback 9mm AR?  I also presume you meant PCC not PPC
Blowback actions suck (standard AR-9, kel-tec s2k, hi-point carbine, and the Scorpion (the CZ might be one of the better blow backs), Ruger PC-9 (haven't heard one muffled), etc). Louder (port pop) and potentially shit in yo face (although probably less than a boostered can on a handgun). Damn that was a lot of parentheses.
Yeah..many threads debating this....here are a couple.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Reducing-9mm-blowback-perceived-recoil/48-523644/
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Options-other-than-MP5/48-522749/
Look into CMMG radial delay, Stribog A3 (gets mixed reviews), Sig-MPX (gettin up there in $), and well, you know about Mp5 variants. There were a couple other rumblings of delayed blowback AR types that I think have become vapor-ware or I've not been paying close enough attention (spending all my time in this sub lately). Not sure what happened to Angstadt's version, but it's was more $ than mp5, and that company seems screwy.
My current favorite is the CMMG RDB followed by the MP5.  As I mentioned in the threads above, I had an MPX which I found to be extremely gassy and LOUD.  It was a terrible suppressor host.  
I had high hopes for the MEAN Arms roller delayed conversion that was announced I think at Shot Show 2019 and very little info since then.  I think Covid squashed it.  JP is coming out with a roller delayed.  https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2021/02/08/sneak-peek-jp-enterprises-jp-5-pistol-caliber-carbine/
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 1:36:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the info you guys.

Ya I meant PCC... Not PPC. Typo. was on my phone probably. Thing is retarded.

A year or two ago I actually bought a PSA AR-9 9mm. It had a 16" barrel. Worked totally great. I didn't think it kicked that bad - didn't even notice. I bought a special buffer for it form some guy here on the forums who makes them for PCC 9mm stuff (it worked great by the way). It was full of shot or something and smoothed the bolt movement.

I ended up getting rid of the AR-9 because I'm a left handed shooter and having that ejection port next to my face was REALLY bad. I was getting not just gas but lots and lots of splattered crud. It was really really unpleasant. The AR-9 has been the only gun I own that been like that.
Sold it!

The CMMG RDB would probably be good. But honestly, I like different style firearms other then having everything look and function like a ar15 or ar10. I can appreciate and enjoy something that looks & feels different then then ar15 form factor and still servers its purpose. My X95, PS90, and KSG are all great examples of that.

I've shot friends suppressed MPX. It was fine. It doesn't really excite me getting into something that SIG may just drop down the road.

Never shot a CZ scorpion. But I really like how compact they are, how many parts are available & options are, and how they probably wont just up and vanish as a gun.

Really, if I could find something that doesn't splatter my face with crud I would be happen. LOL
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 1:38:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
We can all agree to disagree lol.

boomboomboom brings up some great points and yes Amphibian's advice has cost me quite a bit with his A5 tube, flat spring, and hydraulic buffer recipe on 2 of my lowers now and its been worth every penny.  Combined with the CMMG RDB upper I put together and the R9 with what I always refer to as the Amphibian special with the buffer makes for a sweet nicely suppressed shooter. That same buffer recipe happens to also work out beautifully for a suppressed 5.56 upper too.  I also have a CZ Scorpion and I'd have to agree for a straight up blowback its one of the nicer options you can roll with.  I have yet to try my Sub2k out with any of the cans but I'm not expecting much to begin with based on what others have said plus just the way its constructed with your cheek bone essentially riding against the metal tube containing the bolt that is next to your ear.
View Quote

What is the "buffer recipe" your talking about?
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 4:15:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What is the "buffer recipe" your talking about?
View Quote

http://www.c3junkie.com/?page_id=280

That is Amphibian's webpage.  Lots of neat information on there but that link is specific to the Amphibian buffer recipe

Eventually I want all of my carbine lowers setup like this.  Right now I only have 2 but it has been totally worth the investment.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 11:15:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
I agree with this 100%. Straight blowback sucks. It's full of many compromises. From an engineering standpoint, it's done because it's easy and cheap.

I sunk a lot of money into custom building a 9mm AR15 around the CMMG radial delayed blowback bolt.  It was well worth it.

Supposedly the MP5 variants being roller delayed blowback, are the gold standard for which all suppressed PCCs are compared against. I really need to get one of those one day!
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 1:33:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Blowback has been around for as long as it has been ...... for a reason. And it is not somehow inferior today because you don't like them.

In pistol or smaller caliber cartridges, it just makes sense. While a fan of the delayed CMMG radial delayed blowback, run what yuh brung. Hell, CMMG's inspiration for the radial delayed blowback was.. the M50 Reising from WWII. I personally prefer a CZ Scorpion out of any PPC carbine I own or have run. I run most things suppressed ...... most of the time. While delayed can provider slightly quieter "numbers" they are not truly discernible at the shooters ear. Maybe a decibel or two. Personal favorite to suppress is 22LR and 300BLKOUT. 9mm is a very close 2nd and is extremely quite with the right ammo and can choice. While I can run suppressors on my pistols.....I rarely do.        
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 1:48:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I haven’t compared my Sub-2000 suppressed to other blowback hosts but everyone comments how nice it is to shoot suppressed with Octane-45 and Omega 9k.  That’s with subsonic loads with fast pistol powder.  The 16” barrel definitely drops pressure over shorter barrel hosts. Anything that puts your ear closer to the ejection port will increase shooter perception of loudness.  Ten feet away most observers often feel most suppressed subsonic 9mm sound “quiet” and very similar with target strikes becoming the loudest event.  As much as I really like my shorty RDB upper and Endo mags, the blowback guns in 9mm are lots of fun with the right ammo.  Of course, I’m right handed though, so my comments are limited to that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 11:27:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I have 1 PCC, its a blowback AR9 variant with a 5" barrel and I run it with a Octane9. Its runs like a sewing machine, very mild recoil (compared to 5.56) and is very quiet using subs and I don't have any issues with shit to the face which is surprising because I shoot it left handed and the Octane is known as a higher blow back can. That same suppressor, using the same ammo on a Glock and I get showered with blowback.

The Internet tends to blow things out of proportion because people like to shit all over stuff they've never used and/or make whatever they do have sound like the greatest thing since sliced bread. The truth is usually somewhere in the middle.

That said, if parts ever come back in stock, I plan to build a new upper for my AR9 using CMMG RDB setup so I can see for myself how much of a difference it actually makes?
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 4:13:38 PM EDT
[#11]
For a pistol dedicated can I'd probably choose a Obsidian 9 or Mod 9, the R9 is ok once in a while but I wouldn't want to have it on a pistol a whole lot.

The R9 has a big diameter and will block iron sights and it is a fair amount of weight hanging off the front of the pistol. My R9 spends most it's time on a Ruger Charger 9mm.
Also with the R9 with a booster on a glock, it won't cycle on ammo at 900 fps but will on ammo at 1000 fps, my Charger doesn't care, it shoots them all, I figure it's because it doesn't have a booster and tilting barrel.
I'm curious if a lighter suppressor would cycle better on the glock, so I now have a YHM N20 in jail as a lighter option that will spend most it's time on a pcc but would be a lighter option for use on the glock from time to time.

Glock 19 with rear sight dovetail mount put the red dot at the perfect height, can just barely see the suppressor when the dot is in the center of the glass.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/24/2021 5:13:13 PM EDT
[#12]
They still make Ospreys, love my 45 Osprey, use her on my usp tac 45 and ria 1911A2 10mm.

Link Posted: 4/24/2021 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Blowback has been around for as long as it has been ...... for a reason. And it is not somehow inferior today because you don't like them.

View Quote

Ok there bud, said this before, but there's always gotta be a contrarian. Some people just love to agrue on the internet. Dude thinks I'm making personal attacks about him and his gats.

Just because it's been around longer, doesn't make it better. Horse and buggy been around longer than cars, doubt you take one of those to work unless you're Amish.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with blowback unsuppressed (I've got plenty of blowbacks), just that they're not as nice as something with a delay or locked action, when shooting with a muffler on.

And I'm not the only one that thinks this. Amphibian probably has more experience with this than the last 5 posters combined.

But go on and keep being dramatic about it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 8:56:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have 1 PCC, its a blowback AR9 variant with a 5" barrel and I run it with a Octane9.

The Internet tends to blow things out of proportion because people like to shit all over stuff they've never used and/or make whatever they do have sound like the greatest thing since sliced bread.
View Quote

Sounds like you got a ton of experience with this subject with your 1 PCC host, or did you sell off your mp5 cuz your straight BB ar-9 so much nicer to shoot canned?

I have no problem shitting own stuff that I own if it sucks. I don't talk about stuff that I have no experience with.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 9:17:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The R9 has a big diameter and will block iron sights and it is a fair amount of weight hanging off the front of the pistol. My R9 spends most it's time on a Ruger Charger 9mm.
Also with the R9 with a booster on a glock, it won't cycle on ammo at 900 fps but will on ammo at 1000 fps, my Charger doesn't care, it shoots them all, I figure it's because it doesn't have a booster...

View Quote

At last back on topic, yes, I agree the R9 wouldn't be the best choice for handgun only work. *But* it should work fine if that's all you got, you can either "sight thru the can" (not ideal), or put a mini RDS on the pistol. A mini red dot equipped pistol is nice to shoot, canned or not, but keep in mind a booster-ed can will probably foul the lens with shit pretty quick.

Yep, the glock doesn't like the 900 fps because it needs all the recoil it can get to cycle (which is why it needs the booster). Although, I have loaded some pretty light 147s that cycled, but I don't remember what they chrono'd at of the top of my head, also not with the R9, which isn't the lightest can. Pretty sure a heavier can is still harder to cycle, even with spring decoupling.

Fixed barrel is definitely not as finicky, but 850 fps (also depending on powder burn rate) could be close to the edge of not cycling with 147s? I don't have experience with the ruger PC (bolt weight, etc.)
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 9:53:47 PM EDT
[#16]
A blowback gun that cycles without a can will cycle with a can.  Longer back pressure duration on the right end of the pressure vs time curve and virtually no delay in cartridge case obturation relaxation.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 1:15:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

At last back on topic, yes, I agree the R9 wouldn't be the best choice for handgun only work. *But* it should work fine if that's all you got, you can either "sight thru the can" (not ideal), or put a mini RDS on the pistol. A mini red dot equipped pistol is nice to shoot, canned or not, but keep in mind a booster-ed can will probably foul the lens with shit pretty quick.

Yep, the glock doesn't like the 900 fps because it needs all the recoil it can get to cycle (which is why it needs the booster). Although, I have loaded some pretty light 147s that cycled, but I don't remember what they chrono'd at of the top of my head, also not with the R9, which isn't the lightest can. Pretty sure a heavier can is still harder to cycle, even with spring decoupling.

Fixed barrel is definitely not as finicky, but 850 fps (also depending on powder speed) could be close to the edge of not cycling with 147s? I don't have experience with the ruger PC (bolt weight, etc.)
View Quote

Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 10:18:42 AM EDT
[#18]
My stamp finally came in this week.  

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sounds like you got a ton of experience with this subject with your 1 PCC host, or did you sell off your mp5 cuz your straight BB ar-9 so much nicer to shoot canned?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Never claimed I had a ton but I have enough to be worth sharing. Just because I currently only own 1 PCC doesn't mean I don't have first hand experience with other types (which I do BTW). I have shot my AR9 side by side with a friends MP5 clone (using the exact same can) and none of us there felt that the MP5 was noticeably smoother, quieter or had less recoil. Small sample size sure OK but unlike you, I'm not trying to pass myself off as some kind of expert. I'm just sharing my experience and don't really care if you agree or not.

Quoted:
Some people just love to agrue on the internet. Dude thinks I'm making personal attacks about him and his gats.

You just love calling that kettle black don't you?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top