Page / 2
Posted: 6/20/2004 8:39:47 AM EDT
Anyone have one?
Shot one last week and it was a ball!!
Should have one of my own next week.
Any thoughts or recomendations?
Link Posted: 6/20/2004 11:32:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Start reloading 45 now because a semi Thompson goes thru alot of ammo !
Link Posted: 6/20/2004 12:29:45 PM EDT
[#2]
YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS IT DOES!!!!!!!!
But thats the fun of it.
I wont be reloading as I think I can buy it cheap enough.
I've got about 500  US commercial and another 2700 of wolf .45 , along with a dozen mags, ready to break her in when she shows up.
My trigger finger may need its own speacial workout program!

Link Posted: 6/20/2004 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#3]
This is the one gun I own that everyone wants to shoot. I suppose because it is the most recognizable because of all the TV shows.

The drum mags (50 and 100) are kind of pricey.  

Get a violin (more like a guitar) case for it; everyone thinks that is a blast. I have actually had people say "I didn't know you played the guitar!"
Link Posted: 6/20/2004 8:48:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I would also strongly recommend that when you get your Semi Thompson, Take off the rear sight assembly and degrease/oil the base screws and holes ( denatured alchohol works good ) and than red loc-tite them. The same with the forend screw.
Link Posted: 6/21/2004 6:19:37 AM EDT
[#5]

I have a question about the Auto Ordinance Thompsons.  I read somewhere here on AR15.com but can't find it again that Auto Ordinance modified it slightly so that you have to use their magazines or have a gunsmith change out some part so that you can use regular thompson magazines.  Is this true????  If so how hard is it to change so it will use regular mags????

Paraord16

Link Posted: 6/21/2004 9:06:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the heads-up Tangeant, sounds like you have some exp. with this(?)
Will do.
Para, the original mags are easily modified to work in the semi's.
Directions are on the Thompson site.

Link Posted: 6/21/2004 11:13:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I have a question about the Auto Ordinance Thompsons.  I read somewhere here on AR15.com but can't find it again that Auto Ordinance modified it slightly so that you have to use their magazines or have a gunsmith change out some part so that you can use regular thompson magazines.  Is this true????  If so how hard is it to change so it will use regular mags????

Paraord16

Yes AO/Khar use a modified Mag catch and hold open but But no Gunsmith services needed, it takes about 5 min with a Dremel to mod GI mags to work . GI Thompson mags aren't rare or expensive so no reason not to dremel them.
Link Posted: 6/21/2004 1:50:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Para, the original mags are easily modified to work in the semi's.
Directions are on the Thompson site.

Bumpkin,

I looked all opver the Auto Ordinance site for directions, couldn't find them.  Could you provide a link or politely tell me where to go?

Thanks

Paraord16
Link Posted: 6/21/2004 2:39:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Para
I dont know how to make a hot link or anything "fancy" like that.
Truth is I'm not very good with computers. (after all, I am just a bumpkin)
try typing in
      http:www.tommygun.com/fittingtll.html
thats the address im getting

or go back to the auto ord site
go to long gun mags
go to "fitting " instuctions for "t11" mags at bottom of the page.

do you have one?
I got the delux model but I'm thinking now I'd rather have gotten the M1 (more WW2 correct)
Be able to tell you more after I shoot the hell out of it!
Link Posted: 6/21/2004 3:07:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Bumpkin,

Thanks for the link and information.

No I don't have one but it is on my short list of things I want.  A local store has a 27A-1 but I am more interested in the M-1 or A-1 commando.  Not sure if I'll get on or not.  With AWB going away I'm thinking a new AR.

Thanks,

Paraord16
Link Posted: 6/21/2004 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/21/2004 8:54:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Auto-Ordnance has GREAT customer service as well. I highly recomend them. And yes those semi auto Thompsons are a blast(pun intended) to shoot. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 6/22/2004 6:09:21 AM EDT
[#13]
A 13 pund weapon?  Man, my arms would get tired- that ways more than twice what my M4 does!

(Yes, I know, eat your Wheaties Dawg)

Anyone ever try one of the 1927-A1C "alloy" receiver ones?  Seems like it would be worth the cost to shave 3.5 pounds off that bad boy (of course I LIKE recoil in my pistol cliber longarms, call me crazy!)

How is the trigger pull?

Dawg
Link Posted: 6/22/2004 7:58:35 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
A 13 pund weapon?  Man, my arms would get tired- that ways more than twice what my M4 does!

(Yes, I know, eat your Wheaties Dawg)

Anyone ever try one of the 1927-A1C "alloy" receiver ones?  Seems like it would be worth the cost to shave 3.5 pounds off that bad boy (of course I LIKE recoil in my pistol cliber longarms, call me crazy!)

How is the trigger pull?

Dawg

I have a light weight as well as the standard; the light weight is the gun that I let other people shoot.

The trigger makes the gun go bang. It's a fun-gun
Link Posted: 6/22/2004 9:30:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Oslow, you wouldn't happen to be located in the West Suburbs of Chi-town, would you?  

Dawg
Link Posted: 6/22/2004 2:47:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Oslow, you wouldn't happen to be located in the West Suburbs of Chi-town, would you?  

Dawg

No, I wouldn't.    East Central.

Illinois, not Chicago

Link Posted: 6/22/2004 6:56:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Damn you all.  Now I have the itch for one.  But do I get the M1 style, or the 1927?  Crap, crap, crap!
Link Posted: 6/22/2004 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I modified my mag catch so that it will work with US GI mags. That was a lot easier that modifying all my mags.

I love mine. It is the one rifle that comes out of the safe when I just want to have a good time. It always puts a smile on my face.
Link Posted: 6/23/2004 9:41:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I modified my mag catch so that it will work with US GI mags. That was a lot easier that modifying all my mags.

I love mine. It is the one rifle that comes out of the safe when I just want to have a good time. It always puts a smile on my face.

What do you have to do to the mag catch to make it work?  Is it very hard?

Paraord16
Link Posted: 6/23/2004 9:53:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Tagged.  I've always wanted one of these.

AREN'T THEY SMOOTH BORES?
Link Posted: 6/23/2004 10:27:15 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What do you have to do to the mag catch to make it work?  Is it very hard?

Paraord16

Go here:

www.nfatoys.com/tsmg/tcn/default.htm

This is the online version of Thompson's Collectors News.
Scan the back issues for lots of good info. Most is on full auto, but the mag catch mod and other stuff is in there.
Link Posted: 6/23/2004 3:16:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Here's my Khar M1, The M1 version has a lighter recvr than a 27. I got this one used and it came with an extended bolt knob which is a must with the M1 because the bolt is hard to work with the stubby original.. The M1 will not take drums which is no big deal since drums are so damn expensive !!!!

Link Posted: 6/23/2004 3:50:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Damn you all.  Now I have the itch for one.  But do I get the M1 style, or the 1927?  Crap, crap, crap!

And the standard ARFCOM responce is................get both!

But really, you all have me wanting one now.  I am leaning twards the 27.
Link Posted: 6/23/2004 8:02:34 PM EDT
[#24]
The first thing I will buy if I move out of this stupid state is a sa-thompson.  (Sigh...)  
Link Posted: 6/24/2004 5:23:22 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Here's my Khar M1, The M1 version has a lighter recvr than a 27. I got this one used and it came with an extended bolt knob which is a must with the M1 because the bolt is hard to work with the stubby original.. The M1 will not take drums which is no big deal since drums are so damn expensive !!!!

The M1 is the far better looking weapon in my opinion!  That's the one I hope to get some day.
Link Posted: 6/24/2004 8:21:34 AM EDT
[#26]
I have both the 1927A1 and the M1. The 27A1 is a West Hurly and the M1 is a Kahr Arms.

Make sure that you run 230grain BALL ammo thru it. I personally think you should also only run factory ammo thru it but that`s my opinion.
Link Posted: 6/24/2004 8:23:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Almost forgot has anyone here got a trigger job on their S/A Thompson? To lighten it up for rapid fire.
Link Posted: 6/24/2004 3:52:43 PM EDT
[#28]
My CHOPPER

Link Posted: 6/24/2004 6:04:24 PM EDT
[#29]
I would look into doing the paperwork to get a short barrel placed on it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2004 4:26:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Wowsers Z! Oslow where did yu get that case from!?!? I have a violin carrying case for mine, but it ain`t nearly as nice.
Link Posted: 6/25/2004 5:25:55 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Wowsers Z! Oslow where did yu get that case from!?!? I have a violin carrying case for mine, but it ain`t nearly as nice.

The case came with the gun; I bought the whole rig from a guy that wanted to buy a preban AR. That is an L drum.  He had owned this for quite some time and was reluctant to let it go.

Link Posted: 6/26/2004 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Hey guys!
just wanted to post an update.
I took my 1927 delux to the range  and it showed some problems.
Called Khar arms.
They said "NO PROBLEM!" send it back(THEY PAID THE SHIPPING )and gave me a brand new gun!
Im going from the 1927 to the M1 model.
They have been a GREAT company to deal with.
I was treated 1st class in every respect!
Really cant say enough good about them.
Wish all my purchases and problems had gone this well.
Customer service is 100%.

Will post when I shoot the M1 !

Link Posted: 6/26/2004 2:27:29 PM EDT
[#33]
my brother has one. pretty cool
it's on my "guns to eventually get list" and I've bought mags while they're still easily available and relatively cheap
Link Posted: 6/26/2004 3:12:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Good thread, need more info from others on how there guns run.
Link Posted: 6/26/2004 3:34:20 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Auto-Ordnance has GREAT customer service as well. I highly recomend them. And yes those semi auto Thompsons are a blast(pun intended) to shoot. Enjoy.

Well, I read your words and contacted them Friday. My SA 1927A1 threw an extractor first day out. And the rear sight elevation thingy never did lock in. I sent them an email. Here was their response....

Dear Mr. CavVet,
Please return your gun to the address below.  Put a note in the box with your name, address, phone, serial#, Return Authorization# xxxxxxxx-x, and a brief description of the problem.  We will fix it under warranty.

Regards,
Ms. Auto Ordnance

Sonofabitch....

Story isnt over yet, when I get it back I will update.

Oh yeah, dont ask me why, 2WP could not get thru a mag without an FTF/FTE jam. I ran thru mags like I owned it. You make the call.....
Link Posted: 6/26/2004 4:34:07 PM EDT
[#36]
saw an AutoOrd one today for $750 at a gunshow.  sure looked nice..not as nice as the semi AM180 though.  165rds of .22lr in a thompson-esque appearance.  nice!
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 1:45:34 PM EDT
[#37]
I bought a NIB 1927a1 a couple years ago. I put about 200 rounds through it and the compensator moved from 10-2 o'clock and the rear sight base screws were loose, i lost one. Kahr sent me new screws and I took the comp off and put some locktite on it. ran another 100 rounds through it ans the comp was loose again and so were the rear sight base screws. I dont get to the range too much and 2 years after the purchase Kahr took the gun back, re drillied the rear sight base and pinned the comp no charge. I have a 1 year extended warranty now and if the comp comes loose they will replace the barrel and com no charge. I have about 8 months left on the warranty and have not shot it yet. I am going out tomorrow to see if I can shoot the comp loose. Kahr gave me great service and even though the gun was out of warranty they fixed it for free. The gun sure gets attention when people see it. I did have a bunch off FTF & FTE with S&B ammo, but not with winchester or federal. Tomorrow I am going to shoot S&B and winchester to see what happens. Shit I have not shot the gun in a year.
Link Posted: 7/3/2004 4:57:49 AM EDT
[#38]
They look like fun. But, sadly the wonderfull State of CT has banned them.
Link Posted: 7/3/2004 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Yes, you see, here in CT, there were soooo many crimes committed with Thompson's that they had to ban them. I'm sure that banning them has stopped crime altogether.
Link Posted: 7/16/2004 8:41:00 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Story isnt over yet, when I get it back I will update.

Got it back today. 1-1.

It broke the bolt, and there was a broken leaf spring on the rear sight.

Action taken:
Replaced broken bolt assembly. Replaced leaf slide latch spring for rear sight. Replaced Sear block and a spring (upgrade). Replaced trigger spring (upgrade).

Test fired, no malfunctions.

Extra leaf slide latch spring included.

I hope the bolt and springs are better than the rear sight. That pos still doesnt lock up. slide it up and let go, it slides right back down.
Link Posted: 7/16/2004 5:12:10 PM EDT
[#41]
The new made rear sight ladders they use suck ! All they really are is a modified M1917 rifle  rear sight ladder so just buy a 1917 or a British Pattern 14 GI rear sight ladder assembly or just the slide and swap them.
Link Posted: 7/16/2004 6:32:53 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I hope the bolt and springs are better than the rear sight. That pos still doesnt lock up. slide it up and let go, it slides right back down.

You use the sight? You are supposed to lay that baby on your hip and spray!

Link Posted: 7/16/2004 10:01:27 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Yes, you see, here in CT, there were soooo many crimes committed with Thompson's that they had to ban them. I'm sure that banning them has stopped crime altogether.

Oh yes, however you CAN buy a FULLAUTO one... just not a Semi...

Link Posted: 7/18/2004 10:47:08 AM EDT
[#44]
I had a 1927 A model with the Violin case.  I loved it until it started to cinsistantly give me feed problems, so I traded it for a Kimber TLE.  I would like to have another one with the 10" barrell.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2004 5:25:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Got my brand new M1 modle back from Khar.I like the military look!
2k rnds of wolf and 14 mags loaded -ready to go
Gonna shoot! I'll post results
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 12:18:41 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm looking to buy a Thompson M1 semi auto to convert to an Aliens Pulse Rifle replica like the one below soon. About what can I expect to pay street value wise? I'd like to get one in a couple of months. Of course then I have to see about getting cleared on the SBR part . Also, can anybody suggest any good Thompson smiths? I'll need a custom "noodle" type barrel made for it.  I assume somebody will start making them after the ban dies, so is there any way to convert an M1 to use drum mags at all?

Link Posted: 7/22/2004 9:26:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Alien looking at my two Thompsons (1927A1 W. Hurley & M1 Kahr Arms) you probably could make the slots for the drum but for what it`s worth your best of just getting both. The 1927A1 for the drums and the M1 for the Pulse Rifle clone. Which BTW I think would be killer. Then you just need a Franchi SPAS-12 for underneith.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 11:51:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Well I was thinking I could take off the shroud (plastic that goes all around the weapon) to use drum magazines, but it's probably not feasible. There's no way I could justify buying both guns despite being an Arfcommer though . It's going to be an expensive project. I don't like the 1927 models anyway . They just don't do it for me.

One of the hardest parts is actually finding the Spas 12 parts (which a Remington 870 goes inside of btw). Many Aliens lovers have bought up almost all of the replacement parts on the market and I don't believe Franchi is making them anymore. They'll probably cost a pretty penny. I'll probably have the shotgun deactivated as well. It's an extra expense (SBR), that could possibly be unsafe and even destructive to the replica.
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 9:29:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Actually shortening the barrel of a shotgun could make it an AOW. Which there's only a $5 tax stamp on doing that...
Link Posted: 7/30/2004 5:08:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Any of you guys have Non-Khar A/O guns? What do you think of it?

I have heard that the Khar Arms Thompsons have a lot of problems, but the non or pre Khar Arms weapons run pretty good.

I have always thought it would be cool to get on of the M1 guns and SBR it and install the short (normal) length M1 barrel.

Was also wondering what the deal is with the rear stock not coming off the weapon.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top