Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/31/2004 11:43:37 AM EDT
[#1]
The quality of the Numrich Arms versus the Kahr Arms Thompson's depends on who you talk to.
I've heard it both ways, buy/don't buy one or the other.

The reason the semi-auto butt stock doesn't come off, is because the lower frame is actually a slightly modified M1A1 Thompson SMG frame.
The M1 and M1A1 had butt stocks attached with screws.  Only the 1921/1928 had detachable stocks.

The semi-auto can be modified to a detachable stock, but you have to do some light gunsmithing of the frame to add a latching plate, and buy a 1928 stock with the locking assembly.
Link Posted: 7/31/2004 12:31:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm looking to buy a Thompson M1 semi auto to convert to an Aliens Pulse Rifle replica like the one below soon. About what can I expect to pay street value wise? I'd like to get one in a couple of months. Of course then I have to see about getting cleared on the SBR part . Also, can anybody suggest any good Thompson smiths? I'll need a custom "noodle" type barrel made for it.  I assume somebody will start making them after the ban dies, so is there any way to convert an M1 to use drum mags at all?

www.longmountain.com/movieguns/Aliens2/DSCN0159.jpg

Where's the counter on that?

I saw a sight where someguy made a counter. Set it up to reset when you inserted a mag, and displayed the number of rounds. When the bolt came back it subtracted one from the counter. Neat set up. Think it was airsoft though, so I dunno how well it would hold up to .45 ACP fire. Worth a shot.

That would be neat to have, a real Aliens rifle. And if your going to SBR a Thompson, might as well do the SBS for the underslung 870.
Link Posted: 7/31/2004 3:52:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Saw a Volunteer Arms Thompson at a gunshop today.  Any good?  Price was very cheap compared to what you guys are talking about. ~$450.
Link Posted: 7/31/2004 4:25:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm looking to buy a Thompson M1 semi auto to convert to an Aliens Pulse Rifle replica like the one below soon. About what can I expect to pay street value wise? I'd like to get one in a couple of months. Of course then I have to see about getting cleared on the SBR part . Also, can anybody suggest any good Thompson smiths? I'll need a custom "noodle" type barrel made for it.  I assume somebody will start making them after the ban dies, so is there any way to convert an M1 to use drum mags at all?

www.longmountain.com/movieguns/Aliens2/DSCN0159.jpg

Where's the counter on that?

I saw a sight where someguy made a counter. Set it up to reset when you inserted a mag, and displayed the number of rounds. When the bolt came back it subtracted one from the counter. Neat set up. Think it was airsoft though, so I dunno how well it would hold up to .45 ACP fire. Worth a shot.

That would be neat to have, a real Aliens rifle. And if your going to SBR a Thompson, might as well do the SBS for the underslung 870.

props.steinschneider.com/pulser/pulpic20.htm
[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/1/2004 8:54:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Does anyone know of a good gunsmith who does work on the Thompsons?
Link Posted: 8/1/2004 11:05:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I did, but I'm now retired.

I'll answer any questions free.
Link Posted: 8/1/2004 11:19:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Is it possible to SBR one of these and add a USGI barrel?

I just don't like the 16" barrel.

Av.
Link Posted: 8/1/2004 11:56:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I did, but I'm now retired.

I'll answer any questions free.h.gif

I have been thinking about gettinb a semi-auto M1A1, registering it as an SBR and then having the "correct length" M1A1 barrel installed. I have no idea if this is a possibilty, if barrel threads from the commerical M1A1 and the military weapons are the same, one is open bolt, the other opperates from a closed bolt etc. Could you please tell me what you know about this conversion and if it is possible, where might I go to get done.

Thanks, Chris
Link Posted: 8/2/2004 7:05:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Slightly off topic question, but, with the ban sunsetting in September, will 50 & 100 rounds mags become available to us "po folks" again?

1927a1 AO owner since August of 2003!  It is a fun gun, even if it does weigh as much as an unloaded M249!
Link Posted: 8/2/2004 7:40:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I think that Auto Ordnance will make new 50rd drums because there is such a demand that they are or at least did make 10rd Drums, that look like the 50rd drums.

However I don`t think that the 100rd drum will be made again but that`s just me.

Hopefully I`m wrong.
Link Posted: 8/2/2004 8:27:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Auto Ordnance (Kahr) actually makes SBR Thompsons- check their webpage.  I would assume you could probably get a barrel from them or at least find out if a USGI barrel would fit.
Link Posted: 8/2/2004 9:46:06 AM EDT
[#12]
UNLESS Kahr has changed barrel threads (unlikely, too much trouble for no gain) ALL models of Thompson guns have interchangeable barrels.

This means a 1921 or M1A1 barrel will fit the semi-auto models, and a 16" semi-auto barrel will fit a 1921.

The problem is in doing the re-barreling.
The barrels on the semi-auto guns are put on at the factory by Godzilla.  They're TIGHT, and very difficult to remove.

Second problem is the fore end support bar.
This is a steel bar projecting from the front of the receiver underneath the barrel that the front grip mounts to.
This bar is held in by the barrel, and cannot be removed until the barrel is removed.

The problem is, this bar interferes with getting a good set up with the barreling vise.  You have to grip the barrel in front of the bar, and this makes for a "springy" set up which makes breaking the barrel loose a problem.

Semi-auto barrels are a pain to work with for this reason, but SBR's are quite do-able if you have the equipment and knowledge to work with them.

Among other gunsmithing projects on the semi-autos are changing the fixed M1 type frame to accept a 1921/28 detachable butt stock, improving the trigger pull, and altering the cocking handle on the 1927 semi-auto to look like a 1921 actuator.

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 9:46:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Does anyone know who can do a trigger job and SBR a Thompson 16" M1 for me?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:52:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey Bumpkin,

Are you in SE Ohio, home of the famous brick?

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top