Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/6/2020 7:41:40 PM EDT
So I had a fellow ARFCOMMER over the other weekend for a fire and he brought his nightvision goggles over.
Needless to say, it blew my mind.  I've watched NV videos on youtube but to see it in person was crazy.
So I made the leap today and ordered a Photonis Echo monocular from JRH, a Wilcox G24 mount, and a Wilcox arm with the dovetail thing.
Will my mind still be blown when I get mine?
I understand a monocular is going to be way different than a set of binoculars, but it's still going to be badass I hope.

EDIT:  Okay, I got the unit and tried it out in my closet because it's not totally dark yet.  It looks like a winner so far.
Here's the specs.
FOM: 2260
SNR: 33.23
Resolution: 68
EBI: 0.15  (I know photonis does this different so the American one would be 1.5 I believe, please correct me if I'm wrong)
Halo: 0.84
Gain: 9182 (I don't know what this means)
Dark now, I don't see any blems when I looked up at the sky.

And Robert sent me a morale patch for my helmet too!!
Awesome experience so far.

Link Posted: 9/6/2020 8:44:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Depending on the specs and tube image of the Echo, they aren't too bad (I have and use one). My particular tube has pretty good specs and a perfectly clean image with no blems, and I'm not jumping out of helicopters kicking in doors so they do what I want them to do generally.

Are they quite as good as a high end gen 3, especially unfilmed gen 3? No, but they'll still let you see in the dark mostly.

It will struggle more than your average new gen 3 (OMNI VII and OMNI VIII) in really dark environments or deep shadows but if there's some ambient light (some moon or starlight), they work pretty well.

If your buddy let you look through unfilmed gen 3 supertubes though, oh man, you might be disappointed. Do you know what the details and specs of the tube(s) that your buddy let you look through to gauge how they might stack up compared to an Echo?
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 8:50:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know the specs on his, but they were really clear.
I did notice a couple black spots in zone 3 on his but when you looked around it wasn't noticeable.
I'm mainly just going to be using mine in my woods.
Eventually I'll get a laser/illuminator so if super low light is an issue I'll address that in the future.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 8:57:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a couple of Photonis tubes but they weren't Echos. They were pretty damn good too. You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 8:59:47 PM EDT
[#4]
A 14 is the most universal of all the NV light weight, weapon mountable, 50 hr battery life, packable and takes common AA batteries tjat can be found anywhere in the world. Placing it over your dominant eye navigating/moving is easier. The biggest down side to a monocular is it's difficult to drive with vs a PVS7 or binos. When it comes to shooting with NODs it's mostly the Indian not so much the aero.

As far as Echos go they're better in higher light environments but lag a little behind in very dark areas, just as filmless/thin film are reversed compared to Echo tubes. If you find your tube struggling in very near dark area simply flip on your IR illuminator and you'll be GTG
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 9:05:15 PM EDT
[#5]
What were the lighting conditions like when you looked through the tubes? Was it insanely dark (indoors with no light leaking in, outdoors with zero moonlight and full cloud cover, etc)? Bear in mind, any tube can look really good and clear given certain lighting conditions. Ask your buddy if they were gen 2 or 3 and if they were filmed or filmless. It can make a big difference.

Yup, small blems and spots tend to just disappear if you look through the tube instead of at or into it. That said, I still do appreciate a nice clean image especially if you take videos or photographs through it.

As for woods, it might be just me but I find if it gets super dense, sometimes it's just better to flip your NODs up and navigate with your unaided eyes (or go white light if your environment/situation allows you to). It might be it being an Echo it can't get enough ambient light through a dense tree canopy and if I turn on my IR illuminator, it's just too powerful and the dense foliage causes too much splashback.

In open fields or in an urban environment though, powerful supplemental IR illumination can help a ton.

Link Posted: 9/6/2020 9:37:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What were the lighting conditions like when you looked through the tubes? Was it insanely dark (indoors with no light leaking in, outdoors with zero moonlight and full cloud cover, etc)? Bear in mind, any tube can look really good and clear given certain lighting conditions. Ask your buddy if they were gen 2 or 3 and if they were filmed or filmless. It can make a big difference.

Yup, small blems and spots tend to just disappear if you look through the tube instead of at or into it. That said, I still do appreciate a nice clean image especially if you take videos or photographs through it.

As for woods, it might be just me but I find if it gets super dense, sometimes it's just better to flip your NODs up and navigate with your unaided eyes (or go white light if your environment/situation allows you to). It might be it being an Echo it can't get enough ambient light through a dense tree canopy and if I turn on my IR illuminator, it's just too powerful and the dense foliage causes too much splashback.

In open fields or in an urban environment though, powerful supplemental IR illumination can help a ton.

View Quote
I asked him and he said they are the L3 tubes, so I'm guessing filmless super high end, he doesn't buy cheap.
That night the moon was decently bright and the fire pit was going on the other side of the house.
I walked down the driveway and it was still really nice looking.
I'm sure I'll be happy with it, I'm not expecting to see through mine like I saw through his, that's just not a real expectation for the price difference.
So if it's a moonless night and you use an IR illuminator on the low setting, does it still splash back from the leaves and such?
And what IR are you using?
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 9:39:04 PM EDT
[#7]
As far as customer service, JRH is awesome and Robert will take care of you before and after the sale. But as to your NVD, I have no idea.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 9:41:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A 14 is the most universal of all the NV light weight, weapon mountable, 50 hr battery life, packable and takes common AA batteries tjat can be found anywhere in the world. Placing it over your dominant eye navigating/moving is easier. The biggest down side to a monocular is it's difficult to drive with vs a PVS7 or binos. When it comes to shooting with NODs it's mostly the Indian not so much the aero.

As far as Echos go they're better in higher light environments but lag a little behind in very dark areas, just as filmless/thin film are reversed compared to Echo tubes. If you find your tube struggling in very near dark area simply flip on your IR illuminator and you'll be GTG
View Quote
Well I won't be doing any driving with it on, that's for sure.
Mainly walking in the woods or sitting in the deer stand now going to be a deer/coyote stand!
I do have some steel plates in the woods and a suppressed 300 blk, so that'll be fun.
Now I just have to train myself to stay up later so I can play at night.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 9:43:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Is there an IR illuminator built into these or should I get a helmet mounted one for now?
I do plan on getting a dbal or similar in the future, just need to do more research before buying.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 10:01:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I asked him and he said they are the L3 tubes, so I'm guessing filmless super high end, he doesn't buy cheap.
That night the moon was decently bright and the fire pit was going on the other side of the house.
I walked down the driveway and it was still really nice looking.
I'm sure I'll be happy with it, I'm not expecting to see through mine like I saw through his, that's just not a real expectation for the price difference.
So if it's a moonless night and you use an IR illuminator on the low setting, does it still splash back from the leaves and such?
And what IR are you using?
View Quote

Ah, then yeah, that's a bit of a McLaren supercar vs Honda Civic comparison then lol. It sounds like those lighting conditions would make any tube look pretty good though.

As long as your expectations for the Echo aren't as high as that for a filmless gen 3 tube, I think you'll like the Echo. I so wish I could get my hands on a gen 3 filmless but alas, ITAR.

For the really dense forests up here in Canada, yeah, even the onboard illumination is too much sometimes and causes splashback. For less dense woods though, it works okay. For just general navigation and field work, I use a Fenix TK25IR (handheld). It's a nice package and let's me have white light and powerful IR light and uses 18650 batteries. I'm eyeing the new Arisaka EX IR lights that are due to be released though.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 10:22:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is there an IR illuminator built into these or should I get a helmet mounted one for now?
I do plan on getting a dbal or similar in the future, just need to do more research before buying.
View Quote

There is an onboard IR but it's not great mainly for seeing up closenor signaling. If you're looking to buy a IR illuminator/laser the Steiner D2 is what I'd highly recommend. The illuminator can reach out past 500 meters and most of the others class 1 are good to @ 75 yards in urban lighting. IMHO you want the strongest illuminator yiu can get that fires a IR laser with 1 press of a button or pressure pad. When sighting in just overlap your IR laser to your already zeroed red dot at the furthest distance possible. Hits can be made out to 300 and beyond
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 2:06:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Assuming you have a well rounded high spec echo - they work just fine for waking up on hogs in a field.  They have advantages over gen 3 NV in high light scenarios.  They have disadvantages to gen 3 NV in moderate to low light scenarios.

I have a high spec echo bino set that I use for driving when I’m on county roads and state highways.  I use my regular truck headlights.  The Binos extend my vision 10 fold and work better than Elbit and L3 stuff in that specific use.  Better resolution, lower risk of light damage, lower halo (to my eye but maybe placebo effect?)

Besides scenarios like that, L3 filmless is king.  Elbit thin film behind that.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 2:12:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Ah, then yeah, that's a bit of a McLaren supercar vs Honda Civic comparison then lol. It sounds like those lighting conditions would make any tube look pretty good though.

As long as your expectations for the Echo aren't as high as that for a filmless gen 3 tube, I think you'll like the Echo. I so wish I could get my hands on a gen 3 filmless but alas, ITAR.

For the really dense forests up here in Canada, yeah, even the onboard illumination is too much sometimes and causes splashback. For less dense woods though, it works okay. For just general navigation and field work, I use a Fenix TK25IR (handheld). It's a nice package and let's me have white light and powerful IR light and uses 18650 batteries. I'm eyeing the new Arisaka EX IR lights that are due to be released though.
View Quote

I wouldn’t characterize it as one being better than the other.  There’s different tools for different jobs.  High light scenarios tend to see photonis outperform.

Moderate to low light scenarios tend to see Elbit/L3 outperform.

If I could only have one unit it would be a high spec L3 Filmless, no question.

If you can have multiple then get the tool that fits the situation.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 8:36:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 10:56:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Depending on the specs and tube image of the Echo, they aren't too bad (I have and use one). My particular tube has pretty good specs and a perfectly clean image with no blems, and I'm not jumping out of helicopters kicking in doors so they do what I want them to do generally.

Are they quite as good as a high end gen 3, especially unfilmed gen 3? No, but they'll still let you see in the dark mostly.

It will struggle more than your average new gen 3 (OMNI VII and OMNI VIII) in really dark environments or deep shadows but if there's some ambient light (some moon or starlight), they work pretty well.

If your buddy let you look through unfilmed gen 3 supertubes though, oh man, you might be disappointed. Do you know what the details and specs of the tube(s) that your buddy let you look through to gauge how they might stack up compared to an Echo?
View Quote

OP, the thing with posts like this is while this may be his experiences, they don’t jive mine. Which is ok of course.

I had great Omni 7 tubes and both of my echo tubes performed just as good in extreme low light as they Omni 7’s.

They were excellent, especially given the price. Did they work as well as my WP, filmless L3’s in the extreme low light or the deep shadows?  No. But that’s to be expected. I’d feel totally comfortable with them in all conditions.

Yes, I mean all. Remember, our guys stacked a LOT of bodies with NV equipment that performed nowhere as good as echos.

Would I want the L3’s if I was going up against armed foes?  Sure. Do they provide more performance?  Of course. But how much depends on the tubes.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I wouldn’t characterize it as one being better than the other.  There’s different tools for different jobs.  High light scenarios tend to see photonis outperform.

View Quote

That's the thing, even though you say it's scenario dependent, I'd take an L3 filmless over any other type of tube for any work. Urban work or relatively high light situations tends to cast a lot of shadows, which the Echo struggles with. You would need that extra bit of performance in order to see into it without going to supplemental IR.

That's why I used the McLaren vs Civic analogy. Both will drive perfectly fine on the road (they are both fine cars that work for everyday general use), but if I want to take one to the track to race against other people, I'm taking the McLaren. Just like the tubes, the higher the performance, the more cash you'll be shelling out. You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 2:31:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's the thing, even though you say it's scenario dependent, I'd take an L3 filmless over any other type of tube for any work. Urban work or relatively high light situations tends to cast a lot of shadows, which the Echo struggles with. You would need that extra bit of performance in order to see into it without going to supplemental IR.

That's why I used the McLaren vs Civic analogy. Both will drive perfectly fine on the road (they are both fine cars that work for everyday general use), but if I want to take one to the track to race against other people, I'm taking the McLaren. Just like the tubes, the higher the performance, the more cash you'll be shelling out. You get what you pay for.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think we are on the same page but draw different conclusions.  You are saying that filmless tubes are better because they allow you to see in low light (shadows) better.  I don’t think anyone will claim that’s untrue generally speaking.  Like I said, as with any tool you just have to understand the strengths and shortcomings.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
The whole price thing is why I only ordered the Photonis one.
I'm in construction and lumber prices have sky rocketed lately, so the building will slow down this winter and wanted to save extra money while still getting NV.
Like I said earlier, I'll mainly be using this for checking out deer and shooting coyotes so if I need a supplemental IR it's not too big of a deal.
I did read the JRH post about these tubes and the specs seemed really good for the price.
Thanks for all the posts and discussing.
I'm damn excited!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 9:19:42 PM EDT
[#19]
The last couple of post say it all. Echos are excellent tubes for the money and you will not be disappointed
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 10:52:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Well you’ll get it extremely fast for one thing provided you read the email and follow the instructions.

Mine is about a month old. Here’s a pic. Lights on the other side of the fence are small solar powered walkway lights. Pool and area in front of the fence are pitch black.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/8/2020 6:26:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Nice!
It looks like some creepy old picture or something haha.
What are the specs on yours?
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 6:45:29 PM EDT
[#22]
You'll be super happy, and they will perform quite well. Never hurts to have an illuminator, dont let the "Dont be poor" guys fool you even high end shit needs illuminators.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 12:11:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Assuming you have a well rounded high spec echo - they work just fine for waking up on hogs in a field.  They have advantages over gen 3 NV in high light scenarios.  They have disadvantages to gen 3 NV in moderate to low light scenarios.

I have a high spec echo bino set that I use for driving when I’m on county roads and state highways.  I use my regular truck headlights.  The Binos extend my vision 10 fold and work better than Elbit and L3 stuff in that specific use.  Better resolution, lower risk of light damage, lower halo (to my eye but maybe placebo effect?)

Besides scenarios like that, L3 filmless is king.  Elbit thin film behind that.
View Quote

I’m confused; is the unit in question not a gen 3?
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 12:14:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I understand a monocular is going to be way different than a set of binoculars, but it's still going to be badass I hope.
View Quote

Find as dark a place as you can, then lay down on a blanket and look up. You'll see some odd things.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 8:10:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 8:13:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 9:24:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/92237/echorangeequipment-844655.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/92237/hpexcavator-849731.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/92237/echowoodpalmetto-844652.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/92237/hppalmetto-849729.jpg

White is Photonis Echo spec, green is Harris HP+. Pics taken just seconds apart while I switched the Iphone adapter from one set to the other. Down at our private range in the Georgia swamps. No ambient lighting in the area, closest street light is well over a mile away.

View Quote

The ECHO pictures appear blurry compared to the Gen 3. Is this how it appears in reality? Or was the camera just not 100% focused?
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 10:07:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The ECHO pictures appear blurry compared to the Gen 3. Is this how it appears in reality? Or was the camera just not 100% focused?
View Quote

Here some good pictures of l3 unfilmed VS some Photonis echo tubes on SnipersHide

L3 unfilmed VS Photonis Echo
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 10:11:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 11:19:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Due to a couple reasons including the way they are constructed they are not technically considered "gen 3" by US standards. We are seeing some solid numbers like 68 LP, 30+ SN and to look at one side by side with a similar spec gen 3 unit you could barely note any difference.
View Quote

Cool. Y'all might be gettin a call from me a bit later today
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 11:40:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

2 buddies and I very recently ordered a few. I was highly impressed, specifically at the price point.

It's a solid buy, you can't go wrong.

Also, JRH is a great company to do business with.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 3:58:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

DO IT!!
I can't wait, it's going to be awesome.

Link Posted: 9/11/2020 10:05:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

He takes orders after hours on a Friday night, ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 2:35:59 AM EDT
[#34]
My experience with photonis tubes is the handicap vs gen 3 manifests itself in the form of increased scintillation in extreme low light, not degradation of resolution.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 2:48:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

He takes orders after hours on a Friday night, ask me how I know.
View Quote

I got that beat, IIRC Robert has answered calls and text on Sundays during church service. No worries though I'm sure the clergy gets hooked up with great deals on NV also.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 8:17:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 8:19:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:08:54 PM EDT
[#38]
I've literally heard nothing but good stuff about you and your company JRH, that's why I went with you.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 2:14:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Has it come in yet? I'm curious to hear your assessment. I'm still in the "gathering information" phase. Just a dizzying array of options out there, but I'm working with a 3k budget max.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 2:21:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Has it come in yet? I'm curious to hear your assessment. I'm still in the "gathering information" phase. Just a dizzying array of options out there, but I'm working with a 3k budget max.
View Quote

Photonis echo from JRH (or one of those Elbit offerings from TNVC)
One of those new bump helmets that’s around $180
Norotos Rhino 2 mount

Boom. You’re in for around what your budget is.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 2:28:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Photonis echo from JRH (or one of those Elbit offerings from TNVC)
One of those new bump helmets that’s around $180
Norotos Rhino 2 mount

Boom. You’re in for around what your budget is.
View Quote

Already got a TW Exfil bump. And that's just the very tippy top of my budget; would prefer much lower lol. I'm a filthy poor
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
@Bizzarolibe
I just got the shipping notice today!
That's pretty damn quick considering everything else is 8-12 weeks out.
I'll update this post when it arrives and I give it a test run!
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 5:09:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
@Bizzarolibe
View Quote

I'm jealous, I ordered mine a few day after you so hopefully soon.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 6:23:00 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm sure it'll be pretty soon if it was within days of when I ordered mine.
Have you ordered a laser yet?
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 6:25:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm sure it'll be pretty soon if it was within days of when I ordered mine.
Have you ordered a laser yet?
View Quote

Ordered a PERST4 from Russia on the 9th, landed in the USA today.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 6:49:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
@Bizzarolibe
View Quote

Awesome! That is pretty fast from when you ordered! I can't wait to hear how you like it
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 7:39:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Due to a couple reasons including the way they are constructed they are not technically considered "gen 3" by US standards. We are seeing some solid numbers like 68 LP, 30+ SN and to look at one side by side with a similar spec gen 3 unit you could barely note any difference.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m confused; is the unit in question not a gen 3?

Robert, Those specs are pretty dang high, now you got me thinking how to sneak this past the wife for my urban setup. Don't get me wrong I love my BNVD HP+ it just drives me nuts when in a higher light environment with the light streaks. Also any clue on if NVD will debut something new for 2021 Shot Show?
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 12:28:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Thinking of grabbing one of these, as I have a super old homebuilt PVS-14. I think its an Omni IV tube?

Probably repurpose my old ass Gen 3 to a spare. Its like 7 years old. Pretty sure even tho the Photonis Echo are considered "Gen 2+", it would still be about as good as my Omni IV?

How do Class 1 IR lasers look thru these Photonis Echo Onyx tubes?

Link Posted: 9/17/2020 7:10:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top