Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 3:24:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not a problem to see IR lasers through your Echo unit.

See IG link below, first two pics are comparison pics of an Echo and an Elbit systems WPHP under the same shitty conditions (last weekend, early, no moon, overcast in the middle of the woods in S. Georgia)
I think I moved slightly forward on the one pic so it appears a little closer but you get the idea very clearly of the differences.

IG Pics comparing Echo and WPHP
View Quote

Yeah, I think that Photonis Echo kicks the shit out of my Jawa-fucked PVS-14 with Omni IV tube.

Surprised my homebuilt PVS-14 has lasted this long tbh.

I put it together out of parts one night while drinking rum and using YouTube.

I'll be in touch with you soon to order up one of these Echo units.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 3:53:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:31:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Just got tracking info, exactly one week from order date.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 12:42:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Any other people chime in?  I'm seriously considering the Echo.  Just worried if I might "regret" this over one of the higher end filmless WP tubes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 1:10:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 1:12:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Any other people chime in?  I'm seriously considering the Echo.  Just worried if I might "regret" this over one of the higher end filmless WP tubes.
View Quote

I hear ya.

Tons of differing opinions on this stuff though. I'm new to this with no personal experience.

But I had a vendor say he'd take high spec Echos(specifically high S&R) over High spec Thin Films(To him they were comparable in no light/complete darkness situations, but the Echos were better in a urban enviroment).He also said that Filmless GP/WP is the way to go if you want to truly see benefit in low-low light situations. Seems to be a well respected dude that sells everything. Talking with him has me leaning on dropping articulation and going Filmless.

I really like the Warranty/BNVDs from JRH though. So I'm as confused as when I started this journey

Link Posted: 9/18/2020 2:02:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I hear ya.

Tons of differing opinions on this stuff though. I'm new to this with no personal experience.

But I had a vendor say he'd take high spec Echos(specifically high S&R) over High spec Thin Films(To him they were comparable in no light/complete darkness situations, but the Echos were better in a urban enviroment).He also said that Filmless GP/WP is the way to go if you want to truly see benefit in low-low light situations. Seems to be a well respected dude that sells everything. Talking with him has me leaning on dropping articulation and going Filmless.

I really like the Warranty/BNVDs from JRH though. So I'm as confused as when I started this journey

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear ya.

yeah its between $2800 and a few weeks vs $4k and possibly as high as 20 weeks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 2:03:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 2:14:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

As a high spec Echo owner, go gen 3.

There have been instances where I'm walking around and can't spot details in the shadows through my tube that someone else with a gen 3 tube with lower specs than mine can. I think the PC sensitivity of the Echos just aren't good enough compared to gen 3 as that's the only spec that the Echos don't list and EVERY listed spec on my tube is very comparable to new OMNI VIII tubes.

If you can spare the money, go filmless, as the image quality is far better in low light (I'd say it's about a 30% improvement of image quality).

Don't get me wrong, the Echo is still an excellent tube with quite a good image that will let you see in the dark. But night vision lies in the details, and the Echo generally won't let you see those as well as gen 3. I'm sure there will be people jumping in to say that their Echo performs just as good as their gen 3 shortly.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 6:26:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 9:23:50 PM EDT
[#11]
WoW a lot of elitism in this thread about how no one knows what there talking about such as "urban environments" and being some of the darkest areas vs rural. In a rural area you will may not have a lot of city/moon/star light so if you think about it would be darker. Throw in being in a canyon, over cast with the moon hiding behind a mountain, under a thick canopy, caves, caverns which are not found in "urban area" of am I wrong. Working in a "urban" area depending on what you are doing it's possible you may not want to deploy a "powerful white light" to I don't know maybe not announcing your presence? But hey you gotta try and persuade someone wanting to buy from 1 company to try and get them to buy from you. Funny thing is if the buyer is smart and compares prices and performance you'll see what so many of us have found out over the years.  

Since I have nothing to sell you IMHO buy the best tube you can afford at the best price and yes like everything else they will always be one better. All tubes need some light to work, is the difference in saving 1K-2.5K on an Echo tube worth it to see with a little less scintillation when it's near black out lighting worth it? That's up to you and how you're going to use it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 10:59:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:20:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Uhm...

Yeah, so, I never said that rural areas don’t get dark. I live in a rural area and love it and it gets dark as shit out here.

I said that urban areas can get just as dark relative to the implication that some folks make that urban areas somehow have more light than rural ones, and therefore low light performance is somehow less important, and that low light performance could be more important in urban areas than in some rural areas.

The key point here being low light performance is just as important in an urban area as if you’re going to be a rural area, so the implication that it’s not important if you’re in an urban area is a red herring.

Also, I didn’t post until page two of the thread, nor did anyone else from TNVC until a) a full 12 days after the thread was posted and b) after someone else specifically asked for more opinions.

But you do you and keep searching for that reason to be offended.

~Augee
View Quote

I mean - TNVC does throw a shit ton of shade towards these particular Photonis PVS-14s, and I've personally seen thinly-veiled shade thrown (most likely) towards JRH in other threads, by TNVC.

Not sure what the issue is, but that's probably why you got the reaction you did from him.

I really don't care either way- just stating a observation.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:45:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I want night vision.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:56:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm not offended at all I and other's are just tired of the constant condescending remarks from our top tier elite dealer rep/s. You know as well as I do I wasn't talking about warehouses, basements, but yet you had to throw in the remark I don't know what I'm talking about. Nice to see you didn't learn anything since the lat time you did this a couple weeks ago in a helmet counter weight thread that a mod had to lock.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:57:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 12:03:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I mean - TNVC does throw a shit ton of shade towards these particular Photonis PVS-14s, and I've personally seen thinly-veiled shade thrown (most likely) towards JRH in other threads, by TNVC.

Not sure what the issue is, but that's probably why you got the reaction you did from him.

I really don't care either way- just stating a observation.
View Quote

No it's not the Photonis Echo since their sister company sells it, but yeah you hit the nail on the head.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 12:16:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 12:34:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I honestly didn’t even know you said anything about it.

I was generically referencing “common sales pitches” surrounding the ECHOs, and I caught a few “my OMNI xx”s skimming the thread, but don’t even know who posted them.

Opinions were solicited, an opinion was given. No more, no less.

~Augee
View Quote

Then please accept my apology.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 1:16:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 6:00:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Now I just have to train myself to stay up later so I can play at night.
View Quote

This is my biggest hurdle,  working 6 days i have to vw up at 4am, and it's hard to get some time in.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 11:39:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 11:52:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Hopefully, everyone can get along and remain civil. I'm just here to learn before I step up from my second hand PVS7.

I thought this vid was good. ONE man's comparison with his SINGLE SAMPLE of goods. I have no idea if these are exemplary of the rest of what's available.

It would appear that the L3 does out perform the Echo in low light but by how much, compared to price different. IIRC, I'm seeing L3 stuff for like 3400??? That's only (yeah, only) 600 bucks more....about 30%.

For me, in a rural area, it gets pretty dark. I'm sure either would be light years ahead of what I have.  Would be nice to test them out side by side, in person.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 1:39:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Hopefully, everyone can get along and remain civil. I'm just here to learn before I step up from my second hand PVS7.

I thought this vid was good. ONE man's comparison with his SINGLE SAMPLE of goods. I have no idea if these are exemplary of the rest of what's available.

It would appear that the L3 does out perform the Echo in low light but by how much, compared to price different. IIRC, I'm seeing L3 stuff for like 3400??? That's only (yeah, only) 600 bucks more....about 30%.

For me, in a rural area, it gets pretty dark. I'm sure either would be light years ahead of what I have.  Would be nice to test them out side by side, in person.
View Quote

There's a lot of vids on YouTube but keep in mind the image is a lot better looking through the tube vs filming it. Also not all tubes are created equal so there will be slight differences.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

There's a lot of vids on YouTube but keep in mind the image is a lot better looking through the tube vs filming it. Also not all tubes are created equal so there will be slight differences.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. I tried to make sure to drive that point with the capitalized stuff. Sample size of one, without knowing when or where he actually got all the components...etc.

That's also what makes decisions about which one more difficult. It's a little like buying an acoustic guitar, I expect. Two of the exact same model from the same manufacturer will be different. Sometimes a lot different.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 3:27:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, I watched a lot of youtube vids of night vision and video and pictures don't really do it justice.
That's why I popped for some night vision within two weeks of trying out my buddies tubes!

Unfortunately, I was out of town for the weekend and ups tried delivering on Friday when no one was home.
Looks like I'll have something to look forward to on Monday though!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 9:16:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 9:46:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That FOM!! Hell to the yeah!!!

Been cranking out some AWESOME Echo spec units shipping in just about a week!

We appreciate your business, thanks again!
Robert
View Quote
I don't know much about specs but from the little I did read about them it seems like a pretty kick ass tube.
Thanks again Robert.
I'm sure I'll be buying more fun stuff from you in the future!
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 9:50:06 PM EDT
[#29]
I got my ECHO spec Photonis from Robert a few days ago.

I went with the Photonis based entirely on the wait time for anything else being too long for now.

I'm not displeased at all with it,beats the hell out of what I had (an old Gen 1 and Gen1+)

I took it to my hunting lease which is 6K acres on top of a mountain nearest town 6 miles away no houses nearby,it was a cloudy night too....I was impressed even without additional IR illumination.

I'll use the money I saved to invest in a thermal next and then move along with both.Hell may even try to buy another better NOD in a few mos if they are available.

On top of that Robert was top notch,friendly and accommodating!!!! I couldn't ask for a better experience.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
So I had a fellow ARFCOMMER over the other weekend for a fire and he brought his nightvision goggles over.
Needless to say, it blew my mind.  I've watched NV videos on youtube but to see it in person was crazy.
So I made the leap today and ordered a Photonis Echo monocular from JRH, a Wilcox G24 mount, and a Wilcox arm with the dovetail thing.
Will my mind still be blown when I get mine?
I understand a monocular is going to be way different than a set of binoculars, but it's still going to be badass I hope.

EDIT:  Okay, I got the unit and tried it out in my closet because it's not totally dark yet.  It looks like a winner so far.
Here's the specs.
FOM: 2260
SNR: 33.23
Resolution: 68
EBI: 0.15  (I know photonis does this different so the American one would be 1.5 I believe, please correct me if I'm wrong)
Halo: 0.84
Gain: 9182 (I don't know what this means)
Dark now, I don't see any blems when I looked up at the sky.

And Robert sent me a morale patch for my helmet too!!
Awesome experience so far.

View Quote

Serious question, what's it like walking around with only one eye using NV? I want NVG so bad, as I'm sure everyone here does but can't drop that kind of money on them so I'm considering a PVS14. What's your honest opinion, if you had to run, or move quickly, do you feel comfortable doing it? I'm sure it would take getting used to.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 10:03:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Got to take a trip into the woods with mine, pretty dark with only illumination coming from stars and moon.

No special equipment, just held phone next to pvs14.
https://streamable.com/00eu52
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 10:51:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Serious question, what's it like walking around with only one eye using NV? I want NVG so bad, as I'm sure everyone here does but can't drop that kind of money on them so I'm considering a PVS14. What's your honest opinion, if you had to run, or move quickly, do you feel comfortable doing it? I'm sure it would take getting used to.
View Quote
When it was really dark out it didn't seem weird with just one but the depth perception was different.
I really wouldn't feel comfortable running unless it was flat ground but I literally just had them on for about 45 mins in my woods where it's hilly and pretty
overgrown.  I was taking it slow. haha
But if you're the one with the night vision on, why would you have to run.
If anything the other people would be doing the running.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 10:51:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

@NCCobra Most users have a lot easier and move/navigate faster placing a mono tube 14 over your dominant eye and a infinity focus. It doesn't take long at all to feel very comfortable with NV in general. The main difference of a mono vs bino/biocular is it's more natural at first with both eyes aided vs only one. You don't gain anymore field of view with a bino/biocular your melon is just used to seeing with both eyes. If you have more than enough rifles in your safe you can only shoot one at a time, so selling one especially now you can flip it for super power wizard eyes.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 10:52:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Got to take a trip into the woods with mine, pretty dark with only illumination coming from stars and moon.

No special equipment, just held phone next to pvs14.
https://streamable.com/00eu52
View Quote

Mine doesn't look nearly as blue for some reason.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 10:55:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

On flat ground, I'm completely comfortable moving around fairly rapidly with just a PVS14. I just make sure I slow down a little farther away from any walls or obstacles to make sure I don't run into them. I can't quite run around like a madman yet, but hopefully will get there with practice.

On rough uneven unfamiliar ground, it can get hard. I slow wayyyyyy down to make sure I get solid footing and won't fall flat on my face. For me personally, going down a steep rocky hill or traversing terrain with lots of bumps and holes can get really gnarly.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 11:11:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
When it was really dark out it didn't seem weird with just one but the depth perception was different.
I really wouldn't feel comfortable running unless it was flat ground but I literally just had them on for about 45 mins in my woods where it's hilly and pretty
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lmao good point.

Link Posted: 9/22/2020 12:47:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have no issues with it. I can move similar to how I do in daylight unless the foliage is thick, and then the focal depth really shafts you and its death by a thousand twig pokes and lashes. I have very little time under NODs, but a lifetime of moving over dark terrain. Picking up a pvs14 and moving was as natural as putting on a new to me shoe or boot and moving. Little to no learning curve so far. Terrain is around my homestead. Rocky gravel drive and surrounding terrain at 27% grade, stairs, grassy flatland, and undergrowth.

Other people have issues with that using binos or even white light. I've been running trails where there arent trails, using flash bulb technique for years, or just running in the dark on gravel flat roads. This has done a ton for me regarding moving under nod, I suspect.

It is my novice opinion that moving under nods is way more Indian than arrow than any other aspect of "military esque" gear or whatever I've ever sampled.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 2:31:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Mine doesn't look nearly as blue for some reason.
View Quote

Most pics/vids dont do justice compared to what your eyes see.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 9:11:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 2:24:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Good advice and tips.
Oh darn, now I'll have to try this exercise out tonight!
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 3:38:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The legs are the shock absorbers of the body. Whether with NV or not, pay more attention to your legs at night while walking. Too often we just get into the habit of walking like we are "back on the block" but we need to walk a little different at night, especially in the woods. At Midnight Rendezous NV gatherings we do some leg exercises that help with his, learning to balance a little better without a ton of visual input, learning to "feel" with your feet a little bit and similar drills. It doesn't just make you quieter in the woods but it works better for changing elevation, small holes aren't the "THUD!" issue for your feet as much, etc.

As to depth perception and training your brain a bit on that end- a little exercise you can do is go out in the backyard and walk towards a tree slowly with your arm extended till your outstretched fingers touch the leaves on the branch. Do that a handful of time then start leaving your hand down and walk up to where you think your outstretched arm would touch it and slowly raise your arm.

We teach a similar thing approaching a wall or "barricade" at night as well- non shooting hand outstretches as you approach it till your fingertips hit the wall. This keeps people from slamming up against walls potentially giving themselves away- and reinforces having a little space from your "cover" as well- which can help working angles as well.
View Quote

I don't have much experience with NV. But I do have a lot, walking around the woods at night coon hunting and adventure racing. Concur on your tips.

It takes practice to get the feel, and to get your mind comfortable. You can walk when there's not much light at all, really.

It was a battle in the scouts to get them to feel comfortable without a dozen Coleman lanterns blazing away all the time as soon as it got a little dusky.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 4:15:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Great input and advice everyone, thank you all.

Now, JRH, please accept paypal so I can get some NV.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 5:37:14 PM EDT
[#43]
how do the intens tubes compare to gen 3 stuff out there?
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
how do the intens tubes compare to gen 3 stuff out there?
View Quote

Intens tubes are pretty close to L3 filmless. You just pay the same amount for them. I don't even know of anyone that has Intens tubes for sale other than UNV.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 5:46:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Intens tubes are pretty close to L3 filmless. You just pay the same amount for them. I don't even know of anyone that has Intens tubes for sale other than UNV.
View Quote

I remember seeing somewhere that they still suffer from being darker than gen 3 just like the Echos. Never used one myself to say if that's true however.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 8:55:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I remember seeing somewhere that they still suffer from being darker than gen 3 just like the Echos. Never used one myself to say if that's true however.
View Quote

I think I read somewhere(possibly here) that the Echos are the same tubes as Intens but didnt meet the required specs to be an Intens.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 9:22:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 2:19:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Well, you know, a couple of things here.  First is the issue of which tube should I buy.  Recently there are some very good gen 2+/gen3-midrange stuff on the market, which has swayed many buyers into trying.  So if we accept the premise of the more expensive ones work better, then you would save up for that tube.  But your wallet gets a vote as well, so in the end, you may want to buy what you can afford, versus what you want.  The old good enough argument versus getting the very best one.  And keeping in mind, as some have mentioned, this is a moving target.  I have a gen 3 tube, that was state of the art 10+ years ago, but now it's probably comparable to the really good Echos coming out.  So regardless of what you buy, it will degrade, and/or better will come out.  So taking a look at what you need out there, versus what's available.  

I do most of my NV work in a semi-rural environment.  With some patrolling in deep woods.  I try to do all my movement passive, i.e. no visiable or IR illum.  Depending on conditions, I might need to use illum to ID and prosecute a target.  With the set up I have, I am comfortable patrolling at night.  But they key here is that I have done a liitle bit of patrolling at night, both with and lots without NV.  Which brings me to my second point.  Both Augee and JRH have said this repatedly.  You have to get comfortable in your environment at night before NV really comes into it's own.  Learn to move and navigate un-aided at night before using the wizard eyes.  

In the end, you want the best that's available, and that you can afford.  It will not be the same for everybody.  With that being said, something is better than nothing; I have used Russian kludge, and gen 1,2,&3 US stuff.  You use any advantage you can to prosecute a target.  Operator skills get a vote, both yours and your opponent.  If you aren't that proficient out there, it may not matter how good your NV is.  So I would just say for the up-teenth time, get good at moving around at night; don't use your NV as a crutch; the combination of good T,T,P's with good NV gear gives you the best chance for success, IMHO, versus too much emphasis on just really good kit.  

So that's my answer to the 64 dollar question here.  Get the best you can afford; don't worry if it's not state of the art (it won't be for long); and get out there and train.  Be highly skilled in your environment, with good NV, rather than poorly trained with the best NV.  

As to this argument of rural vs urban performance.  I think it's silly to say one is this or that; thay both have light and dark areas.  The bigger difference for me is whether you have to move to contact, or can sit in place, and observe shit come to you.  And whether or not you can go active illum.  The obvious(?) thing here is that lower performance tubes need more light to work, either ambient or IR; so whether we're talking about a fucking cave or deep inside a warehouse, a lower performance tube will need illum sooner than a higher performance one.  But they both will need it at some point.  So yeah it may be goofy to think in terms of a lower performance tube working better in urban areas; what is really being said is that they work better with more ambient or IR light.  Which just happens to be urban areas where a lot of folks live, hence that sales pitch I think.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This is exactly correct as confirmed by Photonis in person with 3 VPs two years back at Shot show.
View Quote

Yet some refuse to believe it LOL. Wen you get it from the horse's mouth and don't believe it, you start to look like the horse's rear end....
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 6:00:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Well, you know, a couple of things here.  First is the issue of which tube should I buy.  Recently there are some very good gen 2+/gen3-midrange stuff on the market, which has swayed many buyers into trying.  So if we accept the premise of the more expensive ones work better, then you would save up for that tube.  But your wallet gets a vote as well, so in the end, you may want to buy what you can afford, versus what you want.  The old good enough argument versus getting the very best one.  And keeping in mind, as some have mentioned, this is a moving target.  I have a gen 3 tube, that was state of the art 10+ years ago, but now it's probably comparable to the really good Echos coming out.  So regardless of what you buy, it will degrade, and/or better will come out.  So taking a look at what you need out there, versus what's available.  

I do most of my NV work in a semi-rural environment.  With some patrolling in deep woods.  I try to do all my movement passive, i.e. no visiable or IR illum.  Depending on conditions, I might need to use illum to ID and prosecute a target.  With the set up I have, I am comfortable patrolling at night.  But they key here is that I have done a liitle bit of patrolling at night, both with and lots without NV.  Which brings me to my second point.  Both Augee and JRH have said this repatedly.  You have to get comfortable in your environment at night before NV really comes into it's own.  Learn to move and navigate un-aided at night before using the wizard eyes.  

In the end, you want the best that's available, and that you can afford.  It will not be the same for everybody.  With that being said, something is better than nothing; I have used Russian kludge, and gen 1,2,&3 US stuff.  You use any advantage you can to prosecute a target.  Operator skills get a vote, both yours and your opponent.  If you aren't that proficient out there, it may not matter how good your NV is.  So I would just say for the up-teenth time, get good at moving around at night; don't use your NV as a crutch; the combination of good T,T,P's with good NV gear gives you the best chance for success, IMHO, versus too much emphasis on just really good kit.  

So that's my answer to the 64 dollar question here.  Get the best you can afford; don't worry if it's not state of the art (it won't be for long); and get out there and train.  Be highly skilled in your environment, with good NV, rather than poorly trained with the best NV.  

As to this argument of rural vs urban performance.  I think it's silly to say one is this or that; thay both have light and dark areas.  The bigger difference for me is whether you have to move to contact, or can sit in place, and observe shit come to you.  And whether or not you can go active illum.  The obvious(?) thing here is that lower performance tubes need more light to work, either ambient or IR; so whether we're talking about a fucking cave or deep inside a warehouse, a lower performance tube will need illum sooner than a higher performance one.  But they both will need it at some point.  So yeah it may be goofy to think in terms of a lower performance tube working better in urban areas; what is really being said is that they work better with more ambient or IR light.  Which just happens to be urban areas where a lot of folks live, hence that sales pitch I think.
View Quote
Wow, you said a lot there!
Lots of good points.
I would have loved to get an L3 tube but budget dictates my Photonis purchase and I'm very happy with what I have.
I live in rural woods and the last couple nights I've navigated fairly well at night.
I'm still getting used to using the NV, but it's a learning experience.  
Once the laser/illuminator is in stock and get it in my hands, I'm sure it'll be a huge benefit to my set up.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top