Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2005 9:06:20 PM EDT
Alrighty...so far...all I have done to my Kimber TLE RL2 is swap out the guide rod setup for a USGI style, put on some gunners...and well, that is that.  I would like to "upgrade" my Kimber, but the problem is I really don't know anything about fitting parts, or even what parts I need.  So, I am looking at you guys to help me figure out what to replace, what parts to replace them with, and possibly find someone to do the work.

What I would like to do asthetically is make it all black (including the trigger, hammer, and possibly barrel, unless it would wear too fast), and purchase a "commander" style hammer.  The idea is not to refinish the parts, but replace them with new parts that are already black, except for the barrel, since its just fine.  If that could be finished black, great.  If not, oh well.

I really like the looks of this hammer Nowlin Speed Hammer but the price tag is a bit steep.  But, you get the idea of what I am looking for.

I would also like to do a trigger job.  The trigger isn't bad, but putting quality parts in there may not be a bad idea.  Problem is, I don't know what parts need replacing...

When I replace the trigger, I would like to find one that is all black.  "3 hole" is fine, but I really like the solid black trigger as found on the desert warrior.

I figure while I am at it, what other parts should be replaced?  I know Kimber uses some MIM parts, so while its being torn up, what else should be replaced?  Does anyone make a tool-steel extractor for the Kimber?

Lastly, who could I trust to install this stuff?  Is there a board member that wouldn't mind doing the work for a fee?  I've heard there are a few guys on here that are handy with fitting parts like sears and hammers and springs...so that would be acceptable as well.

I may possibly look at refinishing the entire pistol, any recommendations on that either?

Thanks for your help guys.  I really appreciate it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:10:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 12:39:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you replace the barrel bushing as well?

Any fitting required for that beast?

Thanks,
Scott

Also, are there any black drop-in triggers out there or do those require fitting as well?

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 12:43:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmmmm...I suppose if someone has a decent online guide on how to disassemble a 1911...I'd be willing to give it a shot.  Any such places on the web?  The hammer, sear, disconnector and other parts that I am buying come in a kit that are already pre-fit...so I should be ok.

Just wondering though...the sear that comes in this Nowlin "kit" is MIM.  Would the nowlin part be better than the Kimber part to make it worth replacing?
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:22:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The hammer, sear, disconnector and other parts that I am buying come in a kit that are already pre-fit

Who makes it? Sounds interesting. Got a link?
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:32:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The hammer, sear, disconnector and other parts that I am buying come in a kit that are already pre-fit

Who makes it? Sounds interesting. Got a link?

Speed Demon pre-fit kit

I just e-mailed them asking them if they would substitute the MIM sear for a tool steel sear, for an extra charge, and still "fit" everything together for me before they ship.

130 dollars for a pre-fit kit sounds pretty decent to me, just want to make sure I'm not replacing one MIM part with another.  If I can get all tool steel, that would be best.

IF nowlin will sub out that part, that is what I am going to put in my Kimber.

If not, I am going with an ed brown perfection sear, ed brown disconnector, ed brown sear spring, and a nowlin speed demon hammer, at the advice of SGB, who has been VERY helpful and kind to me, taking the time to answer all of my stupid questions

I will also be replacing the slide stop, firing pin stop, and POSSIBLY the barrel bushing, although I honestly do not see the point of replacing the barrel bushing, so that is still up in the air.

I am going to call Kimber and ask them about their tool steel extractors...and that should take care of the MIM parts, making this thing as durable of a 1911 as one could ask for with a nice crisp trigger pull.

Scott
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top