Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 3/9/2006 1:30:27 PM EDT
Just wondering how many carry an extra magazine with them when they go out.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:11:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I always carry a spare magazine for both my primary sidearm and my back up gun.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:47:58 PM EDT
[#2]
We  dont have CCW in NE.  But when I go shoot, I have several xtra.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:51:24 PM EDT
[#3]
As of right now,

If I am carrying the XD-9 (15+1) uhh not really

Or if I have the Ruger P-90 (8+1)  It's on my list of things to get.

Help ya any??
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:18:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I carry a spare mag for my P220 and a speed strip for my M60 revolver.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:22:57 PM EDT
[#5]
yes with the 1911, usually with the USP.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:29:41 PM EDT
[#6]
More info, plz.  

LEOs on-duty?  Off-duty or CCW holders?  Military?

I assume you mean off-duty or CCW.  In that case, no.  

I carry a loaded handgun and thats all on my person.  Althought I do carry one to two blades and a light source all the time.  I have extra magazine in glove/console of vehicle.....and long gun in trunk....

I do not expect to do anything but E&E should a shoot senario occur.  Plus, good shot placement negates the need for extra rounds.

My .02$.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:39:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I used to carry an extra Glock 22 mag for my Glock 23... or 35, whatever I happened to be carrying.  I don't really do that anymore because I was finding it to be hard to conceal the extra mag since my cell phone was right there beside it.  When I'd get a call I'd have to expose the extra mag to get to my phone.  I generally have an AR-15 in my truck with 2 mags that are coupled together so if I can't take care of the problem with my glock I can fight my way to my truck...  Where I have 61 rounds of .223 and a extra 15 of .40.  

Magoo
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:47:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I carry an extra mag in case of a malfunction or some other unforseen circumstance(accidentally hitting the mag release and losing my one and only mag in the dark)rather than a concern over needing that many rounds.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:50:44 PM EDT
[#9]
       My day to day "when I don't feel any particular need to carry" gun is a S&W 642-1. This is an airweight snubby in 38sp. I do not carry a reload as my job can sometimes be fairly dirty and I don't want to tie up any more pockets.
        When I go with more than  a backup type gun I will carry a 1911 or a glock 30. I most always carry at least one extra mag along with these guns. I guess an argument could be made to do things the other way around but that is where I am at .
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:01:25 PM EDT
[#10]
The magazine is the most likely thing to go wrong, so it's very important to carry a spare. Plus, you can empty a mag literally before you know it under the extreme stress of a confrontation. And for those of you who think your accuracy negates the need, read the after-action reports of high-cap mags being emptied to no effect at across-the-hood-of-the-car ranges. Good hits aren't so easy when it's dark, adrenaline is pumping and your target won't stand still.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:18:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes always a back up.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:32:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes...always one, sometimes 2.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:52:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I always have an extra mag in the glove box. If I had a suitable mag carrier/holster I'd likely carry one on me.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:50:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't right now but as soon as I get a mag holder I will start to
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:18:12 PM EDT
[#15]
No, for the main fact that I don't have a job that is condusive to actually wearing a sidearm. So most of my CCW is mostly just quick runs into the store and back to the truck. I don't spend alot of time with the general public if I don't have to .
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#16]
extra mag and surefire on weakside, no more no less.

one is none, 2 is one.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:24:22 PM EDT
[#17]
yes, weakside.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:40:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Nope, I'm no Rambo.  This is no Vietnam
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:44:12 PM EDT
[#19]
when wardrobe allows
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:51:17 PM EDT
[#20]
absolutely!  like a previous poster said... "I ain't no Rambo"...he's got perfect aim, an ammo supply that never runs out, and magazines that don't jam or malfunction!  And it sure ain't "no vietnam"... I got no squad on my flanks for support, no MG on the hill, no radio to call in for artillery and mortar support.... you gotta carry a second mag!

No Expert
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:51:57 PM EDT
[#21]
When I carry at work, I have a few extra mags with me (I carry everything in a camelbak at work), but when I have everything in a holster, I carry one in a pocket, usually.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:58:22 PM EDT
[#22]
2 extra
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#23]
That's a good one

But there aren't the over fanatic masses of disciplined NVA regulars and zealous Viet Cong guerrillas wielding Chicom AK-47s and frag grenades, not to mention SKS/mausers/garands/PPShs and other selective fire weapons of various origins.

Quoted:
absolutely!  like a previous poster said... "I ain't no Rambo"...he's got perfect aim, an ammo supply that never runs out, and magazines that don't jam or malfunction!  And it sure ain't "no vietnam"... I got no squad on my flanks for support, no MG on the hill, no radio to call in for artillery and mortar support.... you gotta carry a second mag!

No Expert

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:10:51 PM EDT
[#24]
for ccwing purposes, and extra mag does not make you a fanatic or paranoid. If you practice enough under stress, you realize that it is always good to have an extra mag.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:21:54 PM EDT
[#25]
I carry spares at work and while CCW. Never know when the gun might malfunction or if more than a few zombies might pop up.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:23:36 PM EDT
[#26]
No, never.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:53:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, I did include a row of smilies...
but you know them there gang types can often travel in packs.  And with the stupidity of church shootings, and school shootings (and parental knifings) in the news lately.... I figure trying to "double tap" a threat is gonna result in 3-4 shots...per threat.

Yeah, so the "average shots fired" is supposedly less than 3... life ain't as simple as bowling where you throw three games a night  to make up for one weak one.... I may (hopefully) never have to use my CCW, but if I do, the odds are not that I'm gonna do it enough to create my own statistical average against the whole country.... mine will simply get lumped in with all the others, mine might be me against 4 guys and that could be 16 rounds fired by me alone... that gets averaged in with a hundred other incidents of 2 shots fired.

I ain't in the shape I used to be (round is a shape tho'), I doubt I'm gonna duke it out with a group in a life or death situation and walk away like the hero in some [insert name of latest action hero] movie. BUT, I can comfortably carry my weapon loaded with 15 rounds of 115-124gr HP on my hip AND a second 15 rd mag loaded the same way... so I do.

There is a point of contention to the "if you need and and don't have it" crowd, where do you draw the line? 2 mags? 3? 4? 5? and is that 5 round mags for a compact .45 or 15 rd mags for a 9mm?
Sure, you might need 40 rounds and only be carrying 39...what to do then?  Oh the horror!!!!

Seriously though, I hope to never use any, likely I won't fire more than 3.. then again I could get assaulted and just empty the mag in a spaz attack.  I don't know. (I certainly hope I don't)
But, I carry 30 rds, 15 each in 2 mags.  I even carry three different hollowpoints, Corbon, Golden Saber, and Starfires. Load one of each, repeat til mag is full. Repeat with second mag.  I figure if I end up firing 3 rounds, each one has a little difference in how it's gonna react to the target and what he's wearing.
Maybe it'll give me a better chance of being the one going home to my family at the end of the day,
cause when it all boils down to it...that's what I am trying to accomplish.

No Expert

Quoted:
That's a good one

But there aren't the over fanatic masses of disciplined NVA regulars and zealous Viet Cong guerrillas wielding Chicom AK-47s and frag grenades, not to mention SKS/mausers/garands/PPShs and other selective fire weapons of various origins.

Quoted:

No Expert

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:12:09 AM EDT
[#28]
I've thought about it, but don't do it. I already have 16 rounds in the gun, which is 1 round less than I would have with a 1911 and a spare mag.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:44:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Heh I guess I must be paranoid then :P

I carry my 1911 with 2 spare mags (8 round mags) and at home I have 5 mags ready to go.  Then again, I don't have an AR or shotty under my bed/in my closet/wherever!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:08:56 AM EDT
[#30]
1 in, 4 on standby
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:38:05 AM EDT
[#31]
yes

always 2, sometimes 3-4 (depends if i am at work or not)
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:26:39 AM EDT
[#32]
I don't carry an extra mag. I carry an extra gun. Full size 1911 IWB. S&W 642 in pocket holster.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:41:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Very rarely.  My job is no longer to carry the fight to the bad guy, now it is to carry my ass out of the fighting zone.  You just don't need a whole lot of ammo for that.  As always that is somewhat situational, and in certain situations extra mag/guns make good sense, but for the typical CCW incident it just doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#34]
It's a rare day when I don't carry at least one spare reload for my gun (or guns for those days I also carry a BUG).
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:04:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:58:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Always a spare(s).  Some malfunctions require the mag in the gun to be dropped.  If you shoot your 100% gun enough, it will turn into a 99%+ gun eventually.  If I can pack the noise maker, surely I have room enough for a spare mag somewhere.  For ccw it's not the round count but failure insurance for a gun I don't expect to (1)shoot and (2) fail.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:15:46 PM EDT
[#37]
I carry a new york reload.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:10:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Yes, for malfunction reasons.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:24:58 PM EDT
[#39]
yes, two mags in the winter and one in the summer, It's kinda hard to conceal in FL because it's so fricken hot and you will smoke yourself if you try to wear clothes that conceal well......
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:38:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Carry 1 spare or carry 10. (Sometime ago, someone posted that they carried 10 Wilsons D47 Mags).

Whatever makes you comfortable, but carry a spare. Some malfunctions can only be corrected by a spare magazine.

I carry 2 spare 8 rd, mags and a surefire, that combination works for me. If I go beyond that, I should have brought a crew served weapon
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:43:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Always.

No matter what gun I happen to be carrying, you can be damn sure there's a spare mag within reach.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:06:16 PM EDT
[#42]
How many rounds do you think someone will stick around for? My XD9 is 16+1 and I think that is ample rounds for discouraging someone from doing something stupid.

That said, I spend a lot of time driving so I carry several spares in my car but concealed on my person I don't carry a spare.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:35:04 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
How many rounds do you think someone will stick around for? My XD9 is 16+1 and I think that is ample rounds for discouraging someone from doing something stupid.

That said, I spend a lot of time driving so I carry several spares in my car but concealed on my person I don't carry a spare.

And when you draw your gun and find your floorplate is cracked, exactly what are you going to do when the magazine spring and 16 9mm rounds shoot out the bottom? Congratulations, you now have a single-shot pistol. Shoot carefully, you only have one round?

What about if you find that somehow your mag release was accidentally hit and your mag goes skittering across the parking lot when you draw? What's better, chasing it, or fishing your spare off of your belt and getting back to the task at hand?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:20:04 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

And when you draw your gun and find your floorplate is cracked, exactly what are you going to do when the magazine spring and 16 9mm rounds shoot out the bottom? Congratulations, you now have a single-shot pistol. Shoot carefully, you only have one round?

Well what happens when you draw your spare and find it is cracked too?

None of my floor plates are cracked, end of story.

Quoted:
What about if you find that somehow your mag release was accidentally hit and your mag goes skittering across the parking lot when you draw? What's better, chasing it, or fishing your spare off of your belt and getting back to the task at hand?

What if, what if, what if...

In as many years as I have been carrying and shooting that has never happened.

I would suggest you find something a little more realistic to worry about.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:24:32 PM EDT
[#45]
I try to carry two reloads for whatever I'm carrying.  Two spare mags, or two speedloaders.  Never know when a mag is going to go tits up, or when I'm going to run into that guy on a couple drugs.  Crack and heroin is a common mix (did you know that crack makes you shit, and heroin stops you u? Just an interesting trivia fact.), add in some meth, or meth on a heroin addict is is just dope sick enough to be pissed and violent and it's a situation where I want as many rounds as I can get.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:51:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Always at least 1 spare for me.  If I've got the Glock 19, I have one spare mag (usually on my ankle).  If I've got the 1911 it's two spare 8-rounders in the back pocket or the ankle.

Nobody ever killed for having too much ammo.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:10:22 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well what happens when you draw your spare and find it is cracked too?

None of my floor plates are cracked, end of story.

Quoted:

What if, what if, what if...

In as many years as I have been carrying and shooting that has never happened.

I would suggest you find something a little more realistic to worry about.

With the current odds of me actually getting into a gunsfight being so low as to be miniscule, if it actually happens, I would not be willing to throw anything out the window.

I was only giving accounts of what could POSSIBLY happen. The reason I carry spare magazines is because of the much greater likelihood of running out of ammo.

Any more stupidly condescending remarks?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:16:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

My point of view is that what ever I have is ALWAYS better than nothing!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:17:08 PM EDT
[#49]
I usually carry a spare for my primary. Rarely for the backup. If just carrying the Keltec in the pocket, no spare. Usually have additional mags in the truck.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:07:14 AM EDT
[#50]
There are some really strange responses here.  Some folks actually seem proud that they don't carry a spare.  Do you also drive without a spare tire?  If you did, would that make you somehow superior?  

As to those who don't like "what if", that's what CCW is all about.  If you know there is trouble, you don't go or you get a rifle.  If you don't know there is trouble, how can you be so cocky that a surprise can't happen where you'll need the gun and more ammo?  

My big question would be, if you don't carry a spare, why not?  You're already committing to extra weight on your belt by having the gun.  You're also committing to a heavy belt and some form of cover.  Since you've gone that far, why not make the most of it by having a spare mag or two?

In answer to the original question, I carry 1 or 2 spares for my Micro 1911, depending on which holster rig I use that day.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top