BCM
User Panel

Steyr L9-A2 (Page 4 of 7)
Page / 7
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 7:39:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kwisak:

Pics are a few posts above. It’s the acro one. The acro conversion plate is rather large in the picture since the ke arms one for some reason is very high, almost 2-3 times the other I got, but I haven’t installed the lower fitting one yet. It’s 100 for the cut but I also did the predator slide cut so total was 300 for me.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/448154/BEA62D23-7613-4CFD-B0F3-A61B88F3A60A_jpe-2464418.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By triburst1:

Pics? Price?

Pics are a few posts above. It’s the acro one. The acro conversion plate is rather large in the picture since the ke arms one for some reason is very high, almost 2-3 times the other I got, but I haven’t installed the lower fitting one yet. It’s 100 for the cut but I also did the predator slide cut so total was 300 for me.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/448154/BEA62D23-7613-4CFD-B0F3-A61B88F3A60A_jpe-2464418.JPG

And that would be a drop in fit for an RMR?
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 1:34:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwisak] [#2]

And that would be a drop in fit for an RMR?
View Quote

He does both rmr cuts and holosun cuts (rmsc). If I could just have done a acro cut I would have, but I can’t find anyone to do that. So this is a rmr to acro plate from KE arms. I do have a shorter one I plan to swap it out for, but haven’t done it yet. He will do rmr cuts, however he will give a disclaimer that it will not be as low as a holosun cut. Only other option is Wright armory will do a HK sled on a Steyr (I’ve never done this) with the comment the iron sights may not line up. There is a third possibility which is if L&M ever comes out of retirement, which there is a chance, however small, then I would also reccoemnd them as he cut my A1s and they are awesome. I just at that time was using leupold deltapoints.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 2:41:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Picked up an ANR Designs holster for the C9A2.  Pretty happy with it.  Pre-cut for an optic, if that ever manifests.  Anybody make a flush, or less-extended floor plate for the magazine?Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:04:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwisak] [#4]
No flush plates except the older Steyr magazines. Nice holster, is AnR making them now or was it a custom run? if you ever do it there are three places you can do a optics cut on one.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 8:39:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Dang, missed the reply, sorry.  ANR has the A2 series in their quick ship list.  No light-bearing options yet unfortunately.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 1:59:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Stonia:
Dang, missed the reply, sorry.  ANR has the A2 series in their quick ship list.  No light-bearing options yet unfortunately.
View Quote

No worries, ended up grabbing one as well. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 1:32:37 AM EDT
[#7]
To those who are carrying the new A2, the grip is fairly aggressive. Is it tearing up your undershirts/shirts?

Is Steyr planning on selling slides/barrels? I bought the .40 barrel for my .357A1 and it was quite expensive. What’s the price supposed to be fit the pistol uppers?
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:56:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 80085:
To those who are carrying the new A2, the grip is fairly aggressive. Is it tearing up your undershirts/shirts?

Is Steyr planning on selling slides/barrels? I bought the .40 barrel for my .357A1 and it was quite expensive. What’s the price supposed to be fit the pistol uppers?
View Quote

I carry mine occasionally. The grip texture doesn't cause me any issues, but the extended floor plate makes it print like crazy on me.  I'd lose a couple rounds for a flush magazine.  They have a few barrels listed, but only 9mm and for $300.  Steyr USA seems pretty dead, tbh.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:22:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I wish I could get the A2 MF grip texture on my A1. I don’t like the other changes to the frame but the A1 is way too slick.

The ideal combination for an A3 version would be the A2 MF grip with the A1 rail and trigger guard, optics ready slide with RMR footprint, suppress lot height trapezoidal sights and a threaded barrel.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 11:15:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I wish I could get the A2 MF grip texture on my A1. I don’t like the other changes to the frame but the A1 is way too slick.

The ideal combination for an A3 version would be the A2 MF grip with the A1 rail and trigger guard, optics ready slide with RMR footprint, suppress lot height trapezoidal sights and a threaded barrel.
View Quote

I like the a2 grip changes...but I could get on board with this.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 11:33:51 AM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes

I love the A2 grip but I hate the rail and trigger guard.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 11:41:21 AM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

Gotcha, misread that.  Then I'm 100% on board.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 6:18:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I broke my foot last night and found myself reading this thread.  So since I had to miss work today, I decided to buy the M9A2 at the local FFL.  Can't wait to take it shooting.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 8:46:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 80085:

View Quote

Yes the grip texture is a bit aggressive but I like it in the hands so I deal with it. They say yes on extra parts including slides for optics cuts but we’ve only seen spare parts and barrels. No clue on pistols slide price at this time.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 8:47:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Brandonbeezy:
I broke my foot last night and found myself reading this thread.  So since I had to miss work today, I decided to buy the M9A2 at the local FFL.  Can't wait to take it shooting.
View Quote

Nice buy, have fun
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 4:46:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Found this on a 4 month old reddit post.  Wierd.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Found this on a 4 month old reddit post.  Wierd.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203509/Screenshot_20230319_154436_Reddit_jpg-2752120.JPG
View Quote

Probably co-opting one of those dovetail mounts, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 11:48:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah it was on Steyr club awhile back. Was excited at first until they continued the conversation. Not sure why they won’t just commit to a milled slide. It can be done.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 5:06:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Yeah it was on Steyr club awhile back. Was excited at first until they continued the conversation. Not sure why they won’t just commit to a milled slide. It can be done.
View Quote

I’m not sure about that. I’ve yet to find a shop that will do it. Allegedly there was one that would mill the Steyrs but has since gone out of business.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 8:46:04 AM EDT
[#20]

I’m not sure about that. I’ve yet to find a shop that will do it. Allegedly there was one that would mill the Steyrs but has since gone out of business.
View Quote

Impact machine has told me they've done RMRs and would explore other options if I send my slide.  Just haven't committed yet.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 11:16:59 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

That was L&M but there are still other shops like fabricated arms. I have three steyrs milled now. L&M was great but his shop needed too much work for a retirement side job. Fabricated will do it and there is a place in Louisiana that will also do them but I can’t recall their name at the moment.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 12:44:18 PM EDT
[#22]

That was L&M but there are still other shops like fabricated arms. I have three steyrs milled now. L&M was great but his shop needed too much work for a retirement side job. Fabricated will do it and there is a place in Louisiana that will also do them but I can’t recall their name at the moment.
View All Quotes

The LA place is Impact Machine.  Boxing my slide up to send off today. I'll update when it comes back.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 12:17:11 AM EDT
[#23]

The LA place is Impact Machine.  Boxing my slide up to send off today. I'll update when it comes back.
View Quote

Please update when finished. What cut are you going for ?
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:21:03 AM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

He told me he could for sure do RMR.  I asked for 509t, Holosun k, RMR, in that order depending on what he thinks will work.  Sent my 509t along too.  I figure I'm going to have to lose the rear sight, but we shall see. I'll make sure to update.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:23:34 AM EDT
[#25]

He told me he could for sure do RMR.  I asked for 509t, Holosun k, RMR, in that order depending on what he thinks will work.  Sent my 509t along too.  I figure I'm going to have to lose the rear sight, but we shall see. I'll make sure to update.
View Quote

Awesome, the main reason I ask is the rmr pattern tends to not be able to be done as deep as the holosun options. At least that is what fabricated arms told me. L&M I know used a specialized Steyr plate for optics, but I never knew the full reason behind its use other than he required it for the project.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 11:40:18 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

@Stonia

Any update?
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 9:52:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Nothing yet.  I made a comment on their IG page and they said they just started looking at it this week, and that it's "quite a challenge," or something like that.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 10:23:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwisak] [#28]
Nothing yet.  I made a comment on their IG page and they said they just started looking at it this week, and that it's "quite a challenge," or something like that.
View Quote

I get it, every time I’ve sent one out it’s always been 1-2 weeks past the stated time. Will be excited to see how they are doing it. Louisiana is one of my favorite states and if I could move there and keep with my agency I would have in a heart beat, however a day late is on time rings a bell from my time there. Are they doing any slide cuts for you as well?
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:16:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Id assume youre 100% going to lose the rear sight.

obviously just mocked up.

im still debating on if i want to have mine milled, or pick up a rex zero 1 tactical compact for a host.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 10:30:09 AM EDT
[#30]
I just wish you could get one milled to go into the slide and give even a lower 1/3 witness with the excellent trap sights. I'm guessing theres an issue internally where you'd hit something?
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:02:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By thesystem:
I just wish you could get one milled to go into the slide and give even a lower 1/3 witness with the excellent trap sights. I'm guessing theres an issue internally where you'd hit something?
View Quote

Not a lot of meat on the slide and you will pop into the loaded chamber indicator but the real problem is the extractor. however it isn’t an issue unless you want to keep the rear sight. If you go rear it won’t be a problem to cut low, but Steyr sights are long. If you move forward you start to remove slide around the extractor.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 11:02:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwisak] [#32]
@Stonia

Hey man, just checking in and seeing if you got an update? I was looking to send another pistol into either them or fabricated anrms again for a C9A2 slide cut. Just figured I would check if they gave you any pics yet to sway one way or the other,
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 5:18:46 PM EDT
[#33]
@Stonia

Hey man, just checking in and seeing if you got an update? I was looking to send another pistol into either them or fabricated anrms again for a C9A2 slide cut. Just figured I would check if they gave you any pics yet to sway one way or the other,
View Quote

Just got off the phone with him after reading your post.
He apologized that it's taking so long, but basically came to the conclusion that the 509 isn't going to work, just cuts too deeply.   Reminded him them that I'd go K or RMR and he said he'll look at it again tomorrow and get it done.  Said he'd send pics when it's cut/dlc.  Been a long time, but I think my wanting to use the 509 added to the delay while measurements were figured.

I'll be sure to update as soon as I have anything.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:42:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwisak] [#34]

He apologized that it's taking so long, but basically came to the conclusion that the 509 isn't going to work, just cuts too deeply.   Reminded him them that I'd go K or RMR and he said he'll look at it again tomorrow and get it done.  Said he'd send pics when it's cut/dlc.  Been a long time, but I think my wanting to use the 509 added to the delay while measurements were figured.

View Quote

I get you, I’ve been sticking with rmr so I can ge between acro and rmr I already have but I get the 509 appeal. Hope it comes back quickly for you. I wanted to see his work before I sent another slide in. I really wish L&M was still in the game. I still have no clue how he got so deep on the slides when others say it’s not doable. Besides he used a custom plate for the Steyr.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:40:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Looks like we have a new holster manufacturer supporting the A2

https://shadowdefensive.com/products/steyr-m9-a2-apex-level-ii-holster?variant=42734393983166

Going to order the level 2 owb and light bearing iwb since light bearing A2 and level 2 A2 are pretty rare.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 8:58:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Solid find, thanks.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 10:26:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwisak] [#37]
Update on the holsters, the frame selection is indeed Short C9A2, medium M9A2, long L9A2. So even though it says M9A2 looks like the whole family is included. I ordered a level 2 OWB L9A2 and a IWB C9A2. Will update when it comes in, but this might take the place of black trident on the gun belt. I did want to do a level 2, but haven’t seen one that supports Steyr outside of the universal ones. Problem with those is they allow rocks and debris to run against the gun and possibly get in while laying prone. Altough I did buy a hush for use with a suppressor, it has the same concerns.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 4:32:38 PM EDT
[#38]

I get you, I’ve been sticking with rmr so I can ge between acro and rmr I already have but I get the 509 appeal. Hope it comes back quickly for you. I wanted to see his work before I sent another slide in. I really wish L&M was still in the game. I still have no clue how he got so deep on the slides when others say it’s not doable. Besides he used a custom plate for the Steyr.
View All Quotes

I was told today that my slide is on its way back from DLC coating. Ended up with an RMR cut.  If I had just asked for that right away I think turn around would have been quite a bit faster, fwiw.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 6:20:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwisak] [#39]

I was told today that my slide is on its way back from DLC coating. Ended up with an RMR cut.  If I had just asked for that right away I think turn around would have been quite a bit faster, fwiw.
View Quote

Great news. I am very excited to see it, please keep us updated. I am hoping they were able to get the cut deeper on the slide than fabricated is able to do..
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 6:22:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwisak] [#40]
Wanted to update on the holsters, got some in. The compact went with a tlr7 and the level 2 went with a tlr1. Plan to get out shooting next week and try them out. The iwb has good retention, the level 2 feels solid and the spring feels good. These are the ready to ship from shadow defensive.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 5:36:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Ok, finally got the slide back from Impact Machine.  The cut is deep, and fits the 508T perfectly.  There's not much metal left above the extractor though, so hopefully the optic makes up for it.  Kept the rear sight.  

@Kwisak

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/27/2023 5:59:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stonia] [#42]
Ok, finally got the slide back from Impact Machine.  The cut is deep, and fits the 508T perfectly.  There's not much metal left above the extractor though, so hopefully the optic makes up for it.  Kept the rear sight.  

@Kwisak

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203509/20230627_162308_jpg-2865764.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203509/20230627_162324_jpg-2865765.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203509/20230627_162340_jpg-2865766.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203509/20230627_162736_jpg-2865768.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203509/20230627_162749_jpg-2865769.JPG

View Quote

Well immediate follow-up.  The optic interferes with the extractor to the point that it can't move at all.  The gun is unable to chamber a round currently.  Needless to say, pretty disappointed. Sent a message right away, I guess we'll see what happens.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 6:06:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Wow, that really sucks.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 6:10:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Wow, that really sucks.
View Quote

Yeah, especially since I said I was Ok losing the rear sight.  I admit I don't know what type of internal clearances there are, but it sure seems like cutting into the rear dovetail would have avoided the extractor entirely.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 12:58:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwisak] [#45]
Shit man, I’m sorry to hear that. I wonder if the optic can be modified slightly to allow for the extractor to have full movement. Or if a plate with an optic on top would fix the issue.Mine removed the rear dove tail on my L&M cut. I know he said that due to internals he did have to make a plate for the Steyr pistols and I would lose the loaded chamber indicator. That cut looks really deep which is generally good but the removal around the extractor seems excessive. If you have a measurement on the holosun in I can also give you the difference for a rmr, which may fix the issue as well. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 1:48:17 PM EDT
[#46]
They responded to my text and email right away, saying in the past they've relieved the extractor a bit to make it work, and that it must've been missed. Sent a prepaid label to send it back.   I'm a little concerned about extractor modification and breakage, but perhaps that's unfounded.  I'll keep it updated.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 1:40:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwisak] [#47]
They responded to my text and email right away, saying in the past they've relieved the extractor a bit to make it work, and that it must've been missed. Sent a prepaid label to send it back.   I'm a little concerned about extractor modification and breakage, but perhaps that's unfounded.  I'll keep it updated.
View Quote

That is good they are dealing with it quickly. It’s hard to say on issues with the extractor, the A2 model redesigned the extractor. One of the A1 issues was weak ejection that would eject the round reliably but put the casing on your hat frequently. The new extractor was designed to do three things, 1 not impact the frame on rearward movement, 2 get a better grip, 3 redesigned the shape to increase reliability and stop the spring from causing issues. If they are talking they do this on a A2 that is probably an unknown with how new they are and few get an optics cut. I would be interested to see how they do it. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 1:46:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Separate update, the reason the rear dove tail isnt removed without a new plate installed is it exposes a bearing for the striker assembly.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 12:33:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stonia] [#49]
Slide arrived just now.  Looks like the top of the extractor  was shaved down some.  Hand cycles snap caps just fine.  Will try to shoot later today.  I'll be happy if it works,  but not sure I'd pick this particular route again.

ETA: ran one mag without issues, so seems to be functional.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 9:28:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwisak] [#50]
Glad it’s working. Keep us updated. Time to do an endurance test. I ended up sending in my C9A2 to fabricated arms to get it milled. Gonna see how deep he can get the slide with a different cut.
Page / 7
Steyr L9-A2 (Page 4 of 7)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top