Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/4/2019 2:05:59 PM EDT
Anyone buy one of these and can comment on it? Reliability, Ammo that works best, is it accurate, etc. ?
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 6:25:29 PM EDT
[#1]
off to youtube.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 11:04:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
off to youtube.
View Quote
Lots of reviews on Youtube.  Very favorable.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Lots of reviews on Youtube.  Very favorable.
View Quote
The one that I just picked up looked very nice except for the crap bore...

Back for replacement...

Forrest
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 2:36:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Picked up mine yesterday. Put about a brick of Federal, 36gr bulk thru it today.

Malfunctions, ZERO

Accuracy. Mine shot a touch high at 25yds. adjusted the sights a little and shot a fist size group POA/POI at 25yds. Shot from a bench but not really trying all that hard since its not a target pistol to me.

From here on in it was fast shooting. Double taps and mag dumps on 7"x12" steel from 7-25 yards. Its awful hard to miss and the darn thing is just FUN to shoot.

Again, not one single malfunction. Trigger is VERY nice IMHO. Take up is a little mushy, once your at the wall it breaks clean and light enough, I'd guess 5lb but didn't measure. Reset is short and easy to feel. Grip feels good in my hand but the wife said its to big.... that's ok, she can stick with her S&W compact 22 that feels like a squirt gun in my hand...

Mags are easy to load. I need to find some mags in stock and buy 4-6 more...

Overall, Taurus knocked it out of the park with this one.
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 12:23:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Picked up mine yesterday. Put about a brick of Federal, 36gr bulk thru it today.

Malfunctions, ZERO

Accuracy. Mine shot a touch high at 25yds. adjusted the sights a little and shot a fist size group POA/POI at 25yds. Shot from a bench but not really trying all that hard since its not a target pistol to me.

From here on in it was fast shooting. Double taps and mag dumps on 7"x12" steel from 7-25 yards. Its awful hard to miss and the darn thing is just FUN to shoot.

Again, not one single malfunction. Trigger is VERY nice IMHO. Take up is a little mushy, once your at the wall it breaks clean and light enough, I'd guess 5lb but didn't measure. Reset is short and easy to feel. Grip feels good in my hand but the wife said its to big.... that's ok, she can stick with her S&W compact 22 that feels like a squirt gun in my hand...

Mags are easy to load. I need to find some mags in stock and buy 4-6 more...

Overall, Taurus knocked it out of the park with this one.
View Quote
I'd be willing to agree with you about 'out of the park' except for one detail - the bore...

I returned the first one mentioned above (1PT0066xx) unfired and NIB to the distributor for replacement for the rough bore.

I received 1PT0070xx (slightly over 400 higher SN than the first), and it has an almost identical bore, with some scratches in the grooves and great unevenness on the surface of the lands.  There is certainly no lapping of the bore after the button is pulled/pushed through...

This time, I figured that I'd see how it shot since I feel that it's unfair to nail the distributor with the manufacturers problems, and I thought that it might shoot OK anyway with the low velocities you get in a handgun.

I cleaned the bore thoroughly before shooting, of course.

A couple of quick comments before anything else about the bore:

The gun feels wonderful in the hand, and the manufacturing quality of the slide and frame looks exceptionally good.  I had been looking forward to this pistol since first hearing about it, and the reviews on youtube and elsewhere are uniformly very favorable.  The trigger feels just fine to me, and I have several guns with exceptional triggers to judge that by (Walther PPQ, CZ P-10C, among others).

I am a big fan of .22LR pistols and have said very positive things here about the Beretta M9-22 (for example).

I am also generally a fan of Taurus, owning and shooting many Taurus handguns with complete satisfaction (24/7 and 24/7G2 in 9x19 and .45ACP, a number of PT111G2s, M85, and others), so saying negative things about the TX22 does not make me feel good.

I took this TX22 out to the range and shot 350 rds through it, including CCI 36gr Mini-mag HP, CCI 40gr AR-Tactical, Aguila 40gr Super Extra HV and Winchester 40gr Dynapoint HP.  All of this was with copper washed bullets, not plain lead.

i had absolutely no failures to function in the 350 rds, which I consider to be exceptional.  In my experience, it's rare not to have at least a couple of 'problems' in 350 rds, often related to some of the crappy ammo sold today, regardless of the manufacture and 'quality' of the gun.  I was/am extremely happy with the functioning of the TX22...

I shot from the bench at 10 yards and offhand at about 14 yards ('plinking').

My hat is off to anyone who can shoot fist sized groups with this pistol at 25 yards.  That is not a negative comment about the accuracy of the handgun, but more about my ability to shoot it.  The sights (three dot) are quite nice, but the sight radius is fairly short and the sights are large enough to make precise shooting somewhat of a task.  Again, I do not mean that negatively because I like the sights on this pistol.  Precise placement of shots on target is a function of the sight picture and the aiming point on the target, and on the accuracy of the barrel (leaving aside the nut behind the sights for the moment ).  By the way, that's a personal comment and not directed at anyone here...

I found that, using the three dots, I was fairly easily able to keep 15 rounds in a group that was fist sized at 10 yards from the bench.  As is usually the case, the actual group would be smaller except for the inevitable 'flier' or two... .  I was quite happy with the accuracy of the pistol.

I left the range quite happy, what with a 100% reliable .22LR handgun that was acceptably accurate and feels wonderful in the hand.

When I pulled it apart to clean it, I was less happy.  The bore had leaded up badly, and it took a lot of elbow-grease to get it clean.  As a matter of fact, I still had a couple of spots (lumps) of lead that didn't come out until after letting the bore set overnight with mercury in it.  Before I did that, I also gave the barrel 30 mins at 140 degrees in an ultrasonic cleaner with gun cleaning solution.  Even that didn't clean out the lead in the bore completely, but it did manage to take the blueing off the muzzle nut and about 1/2 inch down the barrel from the nut, but didn't touch any of the rest of the blueing.  I then had to use the mercury to get the last of the lead out.

Today, we had to blue some stuff at the shop, so I threw the barrel and nut in and they came out looking like new (on the outside, of course, I can't fix the crappy bore).

So I'm left with a gun that is completely reliable (at least through 350 rds), feels good and is easy to shoot and looks like new, but one that I expect will continue to lead up because of the crappy bore.  That's not acceptable to me...

I haven't contacted Taurus yet about having them send me a new barrel.  I'm not particularly inclined to spend $40 to send the new gun to them (but would be happy to send the barrel, of course).

If it wasn't for this problem with the bore(s), I would agree that Taurus knocked this one out of the park and I would have bought a second one to go with the first.  But whatever...

Perhaps they should have manufactured the gun in Brazil and not have off-shored it's production to a third world country...

Forrest
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 12:14:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm having the same barrel experience as member ftierson.  Sent it in for warranty repair and got a barrel with a bore just as bad as the original. Plus the my rear sight would not hold an elevation adjustment when firing...they sent me a replacement sight and the same thing.

The original barrel.

very poor machining

notice the chamber is not concentric to the bore

Barrel replaced under warranty

barrel leaded up

pile of lead cleaned out of bore

Link Posted: 5/26/2019 3:26:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm having the same barrel experience as member ftierson.  Sent it in for warranty repair and got a barrel with a bore just as bad as the original. Plus the my rear sight would not hold an elevation adjustment when firing...they sent me a replacement sight and the same thing.

The original barrel.

very poor machining

https://www.snapagogo.com/images/2019/04/13/TX22-Barrel-Rifling4.jpg

notice the chamber is not concentric to the bore

https://www.snapagogo.com/images/2019/04/12/TX22-Barrel-Rifling.jpg

Barrel replaced under warranty

https://www.snapagogo.com/images/2019/05/03/New-Barrel-Muzzle.jpg

https://www.snapagogo.com/images/2019/05/03/New-Barrel-Muzzle-Deeper.jpg

https://www.snapagogo.com/images/2019/05/03/New-Barrel-Chamber_2.jpg

https://www.snapagogo.com/images/2019/05/03/New-Barrel-Chamber.jpg

barrel leaded up

https://www.snapagogo.com/images/2019/05/02/TX22-leaded-barrel_2.jpg

pile of lead cleaned out of bore

https://www.snapagogo.com/images/2019/05/02/TX22-leaded-barrel.jpg
View Quote
Holy F$##k!  Mine looks a little like that but, not close to being that bad. Did they just send you a new barrel or, did you have to send the gun in?
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 4:01:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Holy F$##k!  Mine looks a little like that but, not close to being that bad. Did they just send you a new barrel or, did you have to send the gun in?
View Quote
Mine is not that bad either, but it's still bad enough to lead up badly...

I've been meaning to call Taurus to see if they'll just send a replacement barrel (especially after seeing the absolute crappy replacement pistol they sent to RWS53), but I haven't steeled myself for the ordeal yet.

I must admit that, after seeing what RWS53 got, I don't have much hope for whatever Taurus sends me anyway.

Still, I have to call them soon...

Forrest
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 5:19:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I just got one in, will try it out on the 10th of June.

I will be using CCI Mini Mags and the CCI poly coated 22lr for testing. Both 40gn RN. Trying to see if the poly coated rounds bring anything to the game.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 8:24:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I just got one in, will try it out on the 10th of June.

I will be using CCI Mini Mags and the CCI poly coated 22lr for testing. Both 40gn RN. Trying to see if the poly coated rounds bring anything to the game.
View Quote
What does the bore look like?

Forrest
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 2:15:30 PM EDT
[#11]
To be honest, I can't see it that well. The bore is so tiny. As to the naked eye, it looks okay. I also don't have a camera that can take good pics like the above shots either.

We will have to wait till Monday evening to see if it leads the bore.

I think I will use a lead remover patch and polish the bore some, beforehand.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 6:53:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok, just got back from the indoor range.

I used; GECO semi-auto waxed lead 40gn, CCI poly coated bulk (red, white, and blue) pack 40gn, and Aguila super extra copper washed 40gn for a good mix.
200 rounds total.

Right to the point, NO barrel leading. Last eight rounds fired were the Aguila.

Pistol # : 1PT0206XX

I did not polish the bore like I said I would above, because I was too lazy to cut a patch out. But, it turns out I didn't need to do that anyway.

I hope that helps the question on bore quality. It's a Taurus, hit or a miss on quality.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:38:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I cleaned the barrel of the TX22 last night.

It came out pretty clean. Using a small flashlight, I was able to see some lead deposits and some machine (button) chatter in the bore.
Not too bad, minimal, but it is there.

Overall, good gun. Really enjoyed shooting it.

Sights suck, front sight gets lost in the smoke. so I will be ordering some new ones from Lakeline today.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Interesting call from Taurus today...they have a barrel manufacturer that will have new "in spec" barrels available to replace the defective barrels found on the TX22 in about 6 to 8 weeks.  They offered me a choice to let them hold onto my gun till the new barrels are available and then ship it out or they would install another of their in stock barrels, ship the gun back to me now and when the newly manufactured "in spec" barrels become available they'd ship it to me.  I'm taking the second option and glad they are remedying the problem.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Wouldn't it be nice if manufacturers would make things right the "first time"? Seems like it would be more profitable, have a better market image, and less of a headache.

I hope the new barrel works out for you.

I'll wait and hope some barrel maker makes an improved, accurate aftermarket replacement.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 5:15:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I picked one up two weeks ago.  I’ve taken it out to shoot two times now and I have been happy with the performance.  I replaced the front sight with a Hi-Viz GL2014.  I had to fit it to make it work but it works well with the rear sight adjusted all the way down.  I have yet to find spare mags in stock anywhere.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 8:48:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Took the TX22 back to the range tonight and put 250 rounds through it.  I’m happy to say the Gemtech subsonic functioned perfectly.  It didn’t want to feed on my first range outing with the pistol, but no issues this time.

I put 50 rounds of each of the following ammo through it tonight.

CCI standard velocity
Gemtech subsonic
American Eagle
Federal Automatch
Remington Thunderbolt

I had one failure to eject on the Federal Automatch. Maybe that round didn’t have enough “oomph”. Everything else fed and fired perfectly.

It was easy to keep baseball-sized groups at ten yards, shooting fairly rapidly.  The trigger is excellent.

I think the sights are ok, but I prefer a thinner front sight for more precision target shooting.  But I may just put a red dot on it, since my eyes are 51 years old.

Really liking this gun.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 6:32:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Interesting call from Taurus today...they have a barrel manufacturer that will have new "in spec" barrels available to replace the defective barrels found on the TX22 in about 6 to 8 weeks.  They offered me a choice to let them hold onto my gun till the new barrels are available and then ship it out or they would install another of their in stock barrels, ship the gun back to me now and when the newly manufactured "in spec" barrels become available they'd ship it to me.  I'm taking the second option and glad they are remedying the problem.
View Quote
Who did you talk to? Does that mean they are saying that the new spec barrels will be drop in?
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 6:34:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Wondering what kind of accuracy everyone has been getting with their barrels?
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 7:40:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Seriously considering one.  Wonder if the barrel situation has been fixed......
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 8:08:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Seriously considering one.  Wonder if the barrel situation has been fixed......
View Quote
Taurus is offering a $50 rebate for purchases July 1 to September 30...what does that tell you?

...inspect the barrel closely before purchase.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 8:12:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Who did you talk to? Does that mean they are saying that the new spec barrels will be drop in?
View Quote
Taurus Customer Service called me after I sent the gun back a second time for a bad barrel.  The barrels on this gun drop right in.
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 8:36:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Love mine but it has a bad barrel as well. 300 rounds with 4 malfunctions.  Each was the bullet nosing into the front of one magazine.  Was using CCI mini mags so the slide was moving pretty fast. 10 yard target looks great.  Lead started peeling off in ribbon like shavings in first pic.  Dawson Lakeline front fiber optic sight is a little shorter and mine will require filing to fit.  I have made no attempt to adjust the sights yet.  The Lakeline loading tool is outstanding.  Much better and faster than the Glock style that Taurus provides.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Eta Lakeline not Dawson
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Okay, filing the Lakeline front sight was easy.  I removed a bit around the entire outer ring of the peg or boss or whatever hangs downstairs into the hole in the slide.

Rear sight seemed to have plenty of adjustment for windage and elevation.

Really like this little guy.  Hopefully they get the barrels up to par.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 10:53:44 PM EDT
[#25]
I shot my new TX22 this past Sunday. I ordered the thing the day before the rebate on June 30 so I missed the rebate. The barrel does lead with Aguila and Remington standard velocity so I am going to try mini-mags and see how they work.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 7:18:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I shot my new TX22 this past Sunday. I ordered the thing the day before the rebate on June 30 so I missed the rebate. The barrel does lead with Aguila and Remington standard velocity so I am going to try mini-mags and see how they work.
View Quote
Different ammo won't help a shitty bore...

Just sayin'...

Forrest
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 8:35:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Is anyone aware of an effective method to polish or lap these bores as a DIY fix?
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 12:41:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Is anyone aware of an effective method to polish or lap these bores as a DIY fix?
View Quote
There was at one time a company making a product called "FireLap" IIRC. It consisted of a series of bullets impregnated with increasingly finer abrasive grit on the bullets. Idea behind it was start with the coarsest grit, fire, clean, repeat until all bullets fired. It had some fairly decent reviews as I remember. I do not know if it is sufficiently aggressive to help with some of the barrels that have been shown in this thread. Brownells sells the kits iirc. Do a search for "firelap" and start readin'.

That being said, in a previous thread.........we have one for a rental/training gun at the indoor range where I work. It has now been shot right at 5000 rounds in the last 8 weeks. That little sob simply flat out runs. The bore in our sample was pretty decent, with no where near the chattering and tooling marks as seen in the worst offenders posted in this and other threads. It has shown solid accuracy and hits where it is pointed. We've not done any real accuracy testing from a bag as its not a target gun. It has shown it is more accurate than most people can shoot it. It has run with 100% reliability with a variety of ammo including Aguila and Armscor. Due to its reliabilty we've not felt the need to try a WIDE variety of other ammo. Our gun was purchased 2 months ago NIB. So maybe we got in on the better barrels.

I've been shooting for 45+ plus years and have owned and shot a lot of guns in that time. This pistol is an excellent value in my humble opinion. And with the $50 rebate offer right now they are a decent value for the money....with the following caveat........CHECK THE BARREL CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU PAY FOR THE GUN. IF it is a transfer gun ask the FFL to please check the barrel before shipping to your FFL. Better to resolve that issue before you own the gun and have to deal with Taurus CS. Although the one or two times I've dealt with them over the last 30 yrs or so has always been 100% satisfactory.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 11:57:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Has anyone tried to get or, has gotten a new barrel yet without having to send the gun in?
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 10:47:56 PM EDT
[#30]
On 05AUG2019, I finally got around to sending my TX22 with the crappy barrel (that's probably redundant, since it implies that some TX22s have decent barrels) back to Taurus (on their dime).  They required the whole gun even when I tried to talk them into just replacing a returned barrel).  I received the gun back yesterday (a quick turnaround, for sure).  The papers with it said that the barrel had been replaced.  The bore had certainly been lapped (unlike the one sent in), but lapping a shitty bore doesn't produce a good bore, just a lapped shitty bore.

The bore on the returned gun is just as bad as the one I sent in.

I'll call them in the morning on Monday to see where we go from here since the bores that I have seen so far are unacceptable.

It's really too bad, since the TX22 is a superior gun in all ways but the bore (which, of course, is the single most critically important part of the gun).

It's clear that Taurus has a serious problem with this US produced gun.  Probably should go back to making them all in Brazil, especially since I have no bore problems with any of the dozen or so other Taurus handguns I have...

Bummer...

Forrest
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Just noticed that PSA has steel mags for the TX22. Currently OOS but you can be notified when they are back in stock.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 9:36:06 PM EDT
[#32]
I called Taurus on Monday morning as planned (and as stated above).

Their people at their Georgia call center are very polite and do their best to be helpful.

When I explained my problem, I was told that they'd send me a shipping label to return the gun (just like the first time).

I told them that I didn't have much faith in that process, and that I'd prefer to just return the barrel for replacement.  I also pointed out that doing so would cost them a lot less too since they wouldn't have to 2nd day air it both ways.

The guy told me that the barrel was a restricted item and could not be shipped separately.  I mentioned hearing online (mostly from rws53, I admit ) that Taurus was producing a new, non-defective run of the barrels that should be available shortly.

He put me on hold and said that he'd check with his management.  When he came back in a few minutes, he said that he'd send me a new barrel, but, since they were out of stock at the moment, I'd have to wait a bit until they were back in stock.  He even gave me an order number...

I told him that solution was completely acceptable to me.

Hopefully, when the barrel comes, it'll wow me with it's goodness...

As that old saying goes, I guess that we'll see what we see.

Forrest
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 11:05:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Just noticed that PSA has steel mags for the TX22. Currently OOS but you can be notified when they are back in stock.
View Quote
I believe that is a misprint. They are polymer.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 8:51:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I told them that I didn't have much faith in that process, and that I'd prefer to just return the barrel for replacement.  I also pointed out that doing so would cost them a lot less too since they wouldn't have to 2nd day air it both ways.

The guy told me that the barrel was a restricted item and could not be shipped separately.  I mentioned hearing online (mostly from rws53, I admit ) that Taurus was producing a new, non-defective run of the barrels that should be available shortly.

He put me on hold and said that he'd check with his management.  When he came back in a few minutes, he said that he'd send me a new barrel, but, since they were out of stock at the moment, I'd have to wait a bit until they were back in stock.  He even gave me an order number...

Forrest
View Quote
This barrel issue has become a joke.  I sent in my TX22 to replace the original bad barrel...they send it back with a new barrel just as bad.  So had to send it back again and this time they said a newly manufactured in-spec barrel would be available soon...so after many weeks the barrel became available and they sent my gun back to me along with 2 free 16 round magazines to placate me for the troubles.  Guess what...this supposedly new in-spec barrel was no better than the previous ones.  So called CS again and now am sitting in the same position as ftierson...they are out of stock on barrels and gave me an order # and will ship a good one out when available.

Link Posted: 9/10/2019 9:45:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Does anyone know of a post serial number with an updated barrel I can look out for?
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 12:03:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Does anyone know of a post serial number with an updated barrel I can look out for?
View Quote
From what I have seen, there is no 'updated' barrel.

All I have seen are junk...

And I'm waiting on Taurus to send me a good barrel if they ever have any...

Sorry...

Forrest
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 12:21:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

From what I have seen, there is no 'updated' barrel.

All I have seen are junk...

And I'm waiting on Taurus to send me a good barrel if they ever have any...

Sorry...

Forrest
View Quote
That's too bad.  I really want this but this barrel issue is making me think twice.  It's weird to me after watching a lot of reviews, that people are saying how good the accuracy is.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 2:03:32 PM EDT
[#38]
LGS

Barrel in one looked at = Pak/Afg/Uzb/‘Stan file quality work.

The drilled hole = top of lands, and bottom of grooves = cutter teeth appear to be cut with 40 tooth per inch hand files.

No idea how the hell they get a 12” bastard file up that little hole.

There is nothing to think about.  Don’t buy junk you know up front is junk.

Design ain’t jack shiest without a barrel.  Design means nothing if tooling and workers cannot run machines that do quality work.

Hell, a Jack-a-Billy in the mountains can make a smooth barrel with a mandrel, a hammer, and a single tooth cutter on a hardwood stick.

Where O Where did these Taurus idiots out source barrels to?  MIMbyAH?  BuFuLand in Eastern Planet Mars?  I suppose Mars has an East side?
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 2:21:33 PM EDT
[#39]
I ordered one. This is exactly the pistol I have been waiting for.

Full size, high capacity, threaded barrel, striker fired Glock style trigger.

With the $50 rebate and huge price drop from the original $350-$375 they were going for it was a no brainer for me!

I'll deal with the shitty barrel for now and send it in when new ones become available. Word is you get a free magazine for your troubles.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 5:08:04 PM EDT
[#40]
For anyone interested in a TX22 red dot set up on the cheap...

I picked up a cheap, ADE red dot off amazon for like $45 and an ADE Glock mounting plate to try on my Advantage arms Glock 22lr conversion kit. Sadly, this set up caused malfunctions to the point I seldom could fire a full 10rd magazine without multiple short strokes due to the extra weight....

On the Upside, I ordered the Lake line TX22 mounting plate to try the above red dot on my TX. It runs fine! I didn't have much time after work yesterday for testing, so, I only ran 4, 16rd mags filled with federal bulk 36gr. This same ammo has ran great for well over 1K now and still does with the Red dot mounted. ZERO malfunctions! I'll send more rds this weekend but expect no issues.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 1:05:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I called Taurus on Monday morning as planned (and as stated above).

Their people at their Georgia call center are very polite and do their best to be helpful.

When I explained my problem, I was told that they'd send me a shipping label to return the gun (just like the first time).

Forrest
View Quote
Well, I received the replacement barrel from Taurus today.

The grooves in the bore are better than the last three.  There is still chatter on the surface of the lands, although not as bad as the others.

I'd feel even better if the chamber was concentric with the bore...

I'm not sure where I'll go from here.

Forrest
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 2:01:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Well I'm sad to see some of you guys have gotten duds.  I've had mine about a month now and it's been rock solid after a few initial hiccups the first outing.  Kept clean and lightly lubed after each range outing it's been running like a champ. I don't see all the chatter marks like some you have reported and my threads seem concentric to the bore and my can. BTW it sounds great paired up with my Mask.

My poor 22/45 has been demoted to second place lol.  Usually I seem to find friday afternoon, monday morning ones.  Glad this wasn't the case this time and I got a stud instead of a dud.  The rebate sweetened the deal for me.  Sorry some of you had to wind up dealing with the CS dept.  I hope in the end all works out well for everyone.

This has become a mandatory tag along firearm for range trips now.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 2:33:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Well I'm sad to see some of you guys have gotten duds.  I've had mine about a month now and it's been rock solid after a few initial hiccups the first outing.  Kept clean and lightly lubed after each range outing it's been running like a champ. I don't see all the chatter marks like some you have reported and my threads seem concentric to the bore and my can.
View Quote
The problem is not having threads for your suppressor concentric with the bore, but having the chamber that the cartridge is in when it shoots concentric with the bore.  That's, as they say, a horse of a different color...

I'm glad that you got a good one.  That certainly seems to be the exception to the rule with the TX22.

Of course, it has become clear that some don't care about the bore 'condition.'  Perhaps that's Taurus's new sales demographic...

I have a lot of Taurus handguns, but this TX22 experience has done it for me.  They can sell their US made crap to others who don't care...

Forrest
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Low end buyers, cheap guns, crap ammo anyhow, do most of them even understand?

There is a reason most of the Taurus threads here seem to be “my recalled gun.”

Buying a Ruger 22/45 Lite was a way better no BS deal.

L.L.Bean in a prior century:  “Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten.”
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#45]
I wonder of the steel they are using is the issue.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 12:39:24 AM EDT
[#46]
The problem is most folks if they get a really bad example of anything they will make it known to everyone.  Folks that get good examples alot of times will not go around making a big deal of it so you only hear of the negative reactions sometimes.  Believe me before I purchased it I made sure to inspect it very carefully in the shop including looking down the bore.  I was planning to put my suppressor on it.  If I had seen chatter marks or what appeared to be non concentric threads or chamber I wouldn't have bought it.  Again sucks to hear some of you had bad experiences and I hope eventually customer service gets you all squared away.  Good luck with that.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 9:47:33 AM EDT
[#47]
I just took delivery of mine on Saturday.

The barrel isn't great but isn't terrible either. Chamber is concentric to the bore. Shot it about 400 rounds before I had to clean the barrel due to leading resulting in a complete loss in accuracy. Was shooting Federal Auto Match which is a plain lead bullet. I may contact Taurus CS regarding a new barrel depending on what the new production barrels look like.

Super quiet using my suppressor quieter than my 22/45 Lite I believe.

I love the higher capacity magazine which is why I bought it.

$252 out the door minus the $50 rebate makes it $202. I couldn't resist!

I believe it is the perfect trainer for someone who carries a striker fired pistol for defense. (Glock, S&W M&P etc.)
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 10:46:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I just took delivery of mine on Saturday.

The barrel isn't great but isn't terrible either. Chamber is concentric to the bore. Shot it about 400 rounds before I had to clean the barrel due to leading resulting in a complete loss in accuracy. Was shooting Federal Auto Match which is a plain lead bullet. I may contact Taurus CS regarding a new barrel depending on what the new production barrels look like.

Super quiet using my suppressor quieter than my 22/45 Lite I believe.

I love the higher capacity magazine which is why I bought it.

$252 out the door minus the $50 rebate makes it $202. I couldn't resist!

I believe it is the perfect trainer for someone who carries a striker fired pistol for defense. (Glock, S&W M&P etc.)
View Quote
You almost make it sound like barrel leading in a .22LR pistol is expected and OK.  I have shot .22LR pistols for my entire long life, own dozens of them, and have never had shitty bores with leading problems in any of them until now with this Taurus TX22, regardless of whether I fired plain lead or copper plated bullets.

This situation is not acceptable to me.

Just sayin'...

Forrest
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 11:23:58 AM EDT
[#49]
I have shot a LOT of .22 over the years.

I agree the barrel shouldn't lead up, and it's not up to the standards it should be, but for the price I won't complain.

If I had given $350-$375 these were going for initially I would not be satisfied at all!

I'm just saying this gun packs a lot of features in a well rounded package and I will put up with the sub par barrel until better made ones are available.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 1:42:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I have shot a LOT of .22 over the years.

I agree the barrel shouldn't lead up, and it's not up to the standards it should be, but for the price I won't complain.

If I had given $350-$375 these were going for initially I would not be satisfied at all!

I'm just saying this gun packs a lot of features in a well rounded package and I will put up with the sub par barrel until better made ones are available.
View Quote
When will that be?  I, personally, have seen four (including two replacements sent by Taurus to fix the problem).  They are all junk...

Obviously, your expectations about firearms are lower than mine.  I tend to think that, no matter what the price, it should work as advertised.

I'm happy that you are happy with what you got.  I just hope that doesn't convince Taurus (and, perhaps other manufacturers) that producing and selling junk is OK.

Forrest
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top