User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 9:16:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 10:30:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I am just going to throw my 2 cents in here while I am at it...

Someone in this AK section posted a very good point about receivers a few weeks ago ( in a thread pertaining to the barrel ban ).
He pointed out that on a 4473 a "receiver" is considered a firearm, ie: must give caliber type, etc...

Receiver makers, such as Global, OOW, DCI, etc., are actually making "firearms" as far as the ATF knows due to the fact that a 4473 doesn't know the difference between a bare receiver and a complete firearm. So exactly how could the ATF enforce such a rule without completely rewritting the 4473 alltogether ?

If you buy a bare receiver it is considered a firearm, other wise we would be allowed to get them without an FFL... so how can the ATF come out and say that you didn't "repair or replace" the existing barrel in a "bare" receiver that was deemed a "firearm" and legally transferred ?  They can't !  

If you purchase a bare receiver, according to the law, you have purchased a complete firearm !!!  With that said... what is stopping you from legally repairing or replacing the barrel ( which technically may or may not exist ) in that "firearm" ??

I think you see where I am going with this.

This is just another way the .Gov is trying to take away our gun rights... They release this letter saying "ok you can have the barrels imported again.... but you cannot use them "  

They are trying to make people think that they are doing all they can to help, but they are really just packing the screws to us once more !

Then one has to think about 922(r) compliance.... where does the law end and begin when it comes to perfectly legal guns built with all the necessary US parts ?

BTW, very good post KF... you bring up some good points as well.

This is just another mess of red tape that can change in a whim whenever the ATF, DOJ/T sees fit.... really sad  
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 11:21:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I am just going to throw my 2 cents in here while I am at it...

Someone in this AK section posted a very good point about receivers a few weeks ago ( in a thread pertaining to the barrel ban ).
He pointed out that on a 4473 a "receiver" is considered a firearm, ie: must give caliber type, etc...

Receiver makers, such as Global, OOW, DCI, etc., are actually making "firearms" as far as the ATF knows due to the fact that a 4473 doesn't know the difference between a bare receiver and a complete firearm. So exactly how could the ATF enforce such a rule without completely rewritting the 4473 alltogether ?

If you buy a bare receiver it is considered a firearm, other wise we would be allowed to get them without an FFL... so how can the ATF come out and say that you didn't "repair or replace" the existing barrel in a "bare" receiver that was deemed a "firearm" and legally transferred ?  They can't !  

If you purchase a bare receiver, according to the law, you have purchased a complete firearm !!!  With that said... what is stopping you from legally repairing or replacing the barrel ( which technically may or may not exist ) in that "firearm" ??

I think you see where I am going with this.

This is just another way the .Gov is trying to take away our gun rights... They release this letter saying "ok you can have the barrels imported again.... but you cannot use them "  

They are trying to make people think that they are doing all they can to help, but they are really just packing the screws to us once more !

Then one has to think about 922(r) compliance.... where does the law end and begin when it comes to perfectly legal guns built with all the necessary US parts ?

BTW, very good post KF... you bring up some good points as well.

This is just another mess of red tape that can change in a whim whenever the ATF, DOJ/T sees fit.... really sad  

With the exception of Global/Armory USA the others are just receiver manufactuers. The ATF can figure this out in that Global pays the tax on their completed rifle and records those receivers built as such. All the ATF has to do is audit these companies and know what left as receivers only. Any other manufactuer of AK rifles on these receivers have to mark them also. 4473's aside, it would not take much detective work to tell what shipped bare receivers were built after a certain date.

Hootbro
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 11:43:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
This means that neither the importer or the subsequent purchaser can manufacture the weapon.

Wrong.

This means that the importer has to tell the subsequent purchaser that they can't assemble it into a nonsporting firearm.

There is NO law that you'd be violating by building a 922(r) compliant weapon.

You can also bet that no gunsmith will touch your kit either, or they could lose their manufacturing license and face criminal prosecution.

No law violated, no license taken.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 11:44:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Now, as I would interpret it, I would understand the law to mean that barrels cannot be used to make a firearm that is prevented from being imported. Well, a military configuration AK (regardless of country of origin) is not importable.  They dont mention any exceptions for US made weapons.

This edict from the ATF is not a law.

No law has been changed or enacted to prevent assembly of 922(r) compliant firearms from imported parts, regardless of what the ATF says you can or can't do with them.

The ATF does not enact any laws whatsoever.  Nothing in that letter says what the private citizen can or can't do.  It says that importers have to tell the ATF that they're importing dual purpose barrels, and that they won't assemble them into nonimportable firearms, and that if they're selling to a 3rd party, they have to tell the 3rd party that they can't be used for nonimportable firearms.

The 3rd party has absolutely no obligation to obey that little comment.  This is just like the importers and all the retailers saying "this can be used for repair or replacement only!"

It doesn't apply to us, it doesn't apply to anyone who buys the barrels from the importer.

Technically, it really doesn't apply to the importer, but at the minimum, the ATF could start denying import permits to that importer.  At worst, they could trump shit up.

The importers will undoubtedly comply with this, as they complied with repair/replacement "rules" in the past.

As far as date-marking the barrels, I'm not going to say that it doesn't happen, but there's nothing in this letter that says they have to.  I doubt they'll start doing that.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't really believe it would matter if you are the builder and it was compliant. Not to mention if that happens I see THE GREAT BARREL EXCHANGE OF 2006. People will trade their new barrels to owners of existing guns built prior to 06 so everyone wins just a little more work. I'm sure it will end up working out for the best so to speak. They would hate to see all of the parts dealers and builders filing bankrupcy and collecting unemployment. Not to mention the taxes they stand to loose. The main thing is stand up for what you believe in and things generally work out.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I read the letter to be a big fat "never mind" in regarding the last two letters.

And what about receivers?

And what ever happened to the former US Govt weapons that were to be allowed back in?

And that link to the letter don't work for me, is it my computer, or did it get pulled?
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 12:25:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I read the letter to be a big fat "never mind" in regarding the last two letters.

Exactly.

A way to disregard what they said before, but still attempting to save face, as always.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 3:02:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

And what about receivers?

And what ever happened to the former US Govt weapons that were to be allowed back in?

And that link to the letter don't work for me, is it my computer, or did it get pulled?

It looks like the link was changed. Here is the new one:

www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/112205openletter.pdf

Does anyone have a copy of the original that we can use to compare this one with?
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 4:46:51 PM EDT
[#10]
U.S. Department of Justice
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco,
Firearms and Explosives

Assistant Director

Washington, DC

November 22, 2005

OPEN LETTER TO FEDERALLY LICENSED FIREARMS IMPORTERS
AND REGISTERED IMPORTERS OF U.S. MUNITIONS IMPORT LIST ARTICLES
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) strives to keep industry
members informed of relevant statutory and regulatory developments that may affect their dayto-
day business operations. The purpose of this open letter is to update licensed and registered
importers of firearms, ammunition and other regulated commodities on the lawful importation of
certain firearm barrels into the United States for commercial purposes.
In an open letter dated July 13, 2005, licensed and registered importers were advised that the
provisions of 18 U.S.C. § 925(d)(3) established the standards for the importation of firearms and
ammunition into the United States. In particular, section 925(d)(3) provides that the Attorney
General shall authorize a firearm to be imported if it meets several conditions: (1) it is not
defined as a firearm under the National Firearms Act (NFA); (2) it is generally recognized to be
particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes; and (3) it is not a surplus
military firearm. However, the subsection further provides that “in any case where the Attorney
General has not authorized the importation of the firearm pursuant to this paragraph, it shall be
unlawful to import any frame, receiver, or barrel of such firearm which would be prohibited if
assembled.”
Importers were further advised that ATF has determined that the language of section 925(d)(3)
permits no exceptions that would allow the frames, receivers, or barrels for otherwise
nonimportable firearms to be imported into the United States. As a result, ATF would no longer
approve ATF Form 6 import permit applications for importation of any frames, receivers, or
barrels for firearms that would be prohibited from importation if assembled. No exceptions to
the statutory language, for example for the repair or replacement of existing firearms, will be
allowed.
ATF recognizes that certain firearm barrels may be used to assemble either an importable or a
nonimportable firearm. With this fact in mind, ATF believes that such “dual use” barrels would
be eligible for importation into the United States under section 925(d)(3) for commercial
purposes, provided prospective importers of such barrels make representations indicating that
neither the importer nor subsequent purchasers of the barrels will use the barrels to assemble
nonimportable firearms. Importers of such barrels must provide sufficient information, e.g.,
specific model designation(s) of the firearm(s) that the barrels will be used to assemble, in the
“Specific Purpose of Importation” section of the ATF Form 6 that would enable ATF personnel
to establish that the barrels sought for importation are being imported for the assembly into
importable firearms. If the dual use barrels are being imported for resale to third parties, the
importer must state in the “Specific Purpose of Importation” section of the ATF Form 6 that
purchasers have been or will be advised that the barrels may only be used for assembly into
certain importable models and must list the specific models for which the barrels will be sold.
Inclusion of a model not known to be sporting may require the submission of a sample for
evaluation to determine if importation of the barrels will be approved.
The Firearms and Explosives Imports Branch staff is available to answer your questions about
the issues addressed in this letter. You may reach them by telephone at 202-927-8320 or by fax
at 202-927-2697.

Sincerely yours,

Audrey Stucko
Deputy Assistant Director
(Enforcement Programs and Services)
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#11]
This comes from Bob Williams
As posted at gunco.net www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18441&page=4
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Troops,

Here's your Old Pal "Look there is a Barrel Ban Coming" Bob to bring some info for those who believed me last time.

I spent a decent portion of my Monday on the phone with several different people at BATFE discussing the latest "Open Letter to Importers". The first person I called was a Gentleman in the Technology Branch in West Virginia. I have spoken with him on several occasions and have met him face to face in Las Vegas and Seattle.

My call next went to the acting Chief of the Importation Branch, Mr. Ball. Our discussion very informatative.

For further discussion I again returned to the Technology Branch to another very well respected Gentleman that is well versed on this situation. We concured.

Without rediculous discussion my conclusions were as follows:

1) Nothing has changed with the "barrels" that we are seeing in the presently available kits, and the ones that most here are refering to. Period.

2) There will be no more BATFE Form 6s approved for the barrels that we have seen in mass (surplus military select fire/ semi auto weapon barrels with threaded muzzles that I have mentioned in "1") Period.

3) New barrels (NEW MANUFACTURE as with the Arsenal AK models with the permamantly attached muzzle devices or SMOOTH BARREL ENDS) will be allowed if the IMPORTER designates SPECIFIC INFORMATION concerning their USEAGE in BLOCK 10 on his application for the Form 6. Period.

4) Nothing that means anything has changed. Period.

Bob

PS,...Sang, I have been so sick that I will be in the hospital on Wednesday for an "Echo" to look at my heart and lungs.

Call me if ya wanna chat later on Wednesday, IF they let me out!
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 5:12:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for re-posting that Ark,

My morning slowness is continuing into the evening today.  I just read it for the third time and I have no idea what he is trying to say.  It doesn't answer any questions for me.  Barrel threads?  Thats all the import division is going to look at?  I doubt it.

Oh well, like I said before, only time will tell how this is going to play out.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 6:07:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I have been reading this thread. Correct me if I am wrong but the paragraph.........

ATF recognizes that certain firearm barrels may be used to assemble either an importable or a
nonimportable firearm. With this fact in mind, ATF believes that such “dual use” barrels would
be eligible for importation
into the United States under section 925(d)(3) for commercial
purposes, provided prospective importers of such barrels make representations indicating that
neither the importer nor subsequent purchasers of the barrels will use the barrels to assemble
nonimportable firearms

"non-importable" means guns on "the list" but these guns we are making from kits are "American Made" 922r compliant and are not banned from import because they are not imports. They are just like the Arsenals and Wasr10's. Even though they are "tantal" kits or "Polish AKM" kits that is not what they are when assembled from American parts (922r compliant), they need to have a new name like the AR15's did (PCR-10, XM15,etc)
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Thats the way I understand it but only time will tell. Unless someone talks to the people who had this written. Bob said he talked with several people and he may be right that is going to stay the way it is. Or just like with anything he may and I say may (not trying to be a dick) have talked to a couple of jackasses that wouldn't know their ass from a hole in the ground.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 10:28:22 PM EDT
[#15]
The AK barrels will probably avoid the net.  Sagas are import aproved after all.  Who's gonna take the hit?  Machine gunners.  No more 34, 42, sten, bren, vickers, or Uzi barrels.  That kind of barrel is gone. Those guys can probably aford to have them made or buy enough to make it irelevent, at least for a while.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 4:49:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Let's just say if the ATF researches your "assembled" weapon and finds that you purchased the receiver via Form 4473 in February 2006, and it has a regulated barrel which began 1 January 2006.  I would say you were in violation of the policy letter regardless of 922r.....

Thoughts?

Doesn't matter. There's no law on the books that makes it illegal for the end user to assemble weapons using these barrels.

Again, this is BATFE opinion that they are stating...they have no power to make new laws. You aren't doing anything wrong if you go ahead and build a 922r compliant rifle with a barrel imported post-January. You could buy 70 barrels and weld them together end-to-end, set them in a front trunion made from silly putty, rivet it in a homemade receiver that you carved from a maple tree and you still wouldn't be doing anything wrong.

The importers have had to agree to those same terms for several years (I believe since 1998). Technically, if it were illegal, ALL builds performed since that time with imported, ex-military barrels would violate that agreement.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 6:58:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Looks to me that they are going to have a sticker w/disclaimer on the barrel prior to entering the U.S.
Problem solved.

Samuel
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 8:01:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes the ATF does not make laws.  They interpret the laws and they interpret the law any way they damn well please.  I feel a hard one bumping against by backside.  My strategy to deal with all the ATF obfusication is to purchase a receiver for every kit I have prior to Jan 06.  I got 7 more to go.  Then I will have complete rifles with barrels in my possession prior to 06.  Just to be on the safe side.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 12:52:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The AK barrels will probably avoid the net.  Sagas are import aproved after all.  Who's gonna take the hit?  Machine gunners.  No more 34, 42, sten, bren, vickers, or Uzi barrels.  That kind of barrel is gone. Those guys can probably aford to have them made or buy enough to make it irelevent, at least for a while.

That's kind of what I thought, but I was thinking maybe add AMD 65 and Krinks to your list, since the barrels are so short.? Who knows....

Link Posted: 11/30/2005 3:53:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Yes the ATF does not make laws.  They interpret the laws and they interpret the law any way they damn well please

Like the ATF or Hate the ATF, doesn't matter to me but we really should have a basic understanding of how the system works...............

It really doesn't matter what an ATF agent thinks or how they interpret a law.  What matters is what the US Atty and the courts think.  First, the ATF can't decide to arrest anyone on a whim.  In order for someone to be arrested, the US Atty has to get a Federal Judge to issue an arrest warrant.  Second, to get an indictment, the US Atty has to present the complaint to a Federal Grand Jury and THEY have to vote for it.  The BATFE are just cops.  They do not prosecute people.  They can't even investigate people unless the US Atty directs them to do so.

I'm not saying that any of the cautions given above aren't good ones.  I'm just reminding people how the system works and clarifying the terminology.  Don't worry about the ATF.  Worry about the Federal legal system.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 5:13:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I have been in Law Enforcement for the better part of 20 years.  I have fired a variety of weapons at about 100 different ranges.  Ranges that were open to the public and Law Enforcement ranges.  I have yet to see an ATF agent inspect a weapon at one of the ranges.  I took a class from the chief negotiator (Fred Lanceley) from Ruby Ridge and the Waco incident.  If you recall why Ruby Ridge started in the first place.  Fred gave me the inside scoop on the deal.  They came away with egg on their faces.  Most agents are trying to fry the big fish not the little guy putting together a rifle to go to the range with.  I am not saying violate the law but as long as you reasonably do what the law states you should be ok.  I read most of the posts and see there are a variety of interpretations of the law.  I am going to build an AK soon and I hope I don't have a big black van pull up in front of my house and take me to a little brick building for interrogation.  Good luck with the search warrant and the PC (probable cause) to arrest me and search my house.  
Good luck and be kind to your neighbor...........he may be sitting next to you helping defend this great country.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 7:26:19 PM EDT
[#22]
I know where your coming from Corny. I know a few are concerned about the interpretation of the law as far as building them after Jan. 1 06. But I think more are wondering how this is affecting the kits to come in. As many know, there is always a loop hole to building what is here, but we all want to know if they will stop bringing the kits in and if not what kits will be allowed.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 8:34:13 AM EDT
[#23]
The plot thickens.

This is getting to be a real gun-board-vs.-ATF soap opera. It's been torrid from the beginning with the I-call-BS vs. I-believe crowds bickering for a month.

There are many good points floating about. 922r compliant arms are domestically produced. They are exempt from any sporting pupose discussion. End of story.

How is 922r compliance determined?
OOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh thaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttsssssss rrrriiiiiggggghhhhhtttt, ................. ATF decides whether or not it's compliant.
The "No more than ten foreign parts" rule is some completely arbitrary bullshit that ATF pulled from thin air. If they whimsically decided that a domestic arm must be constructed with 100% domestically produced components ............ what then?

We danced around the federal AW ban; silver soldered muzzle nuts, whacked bayo lugs, thumbhole stocks and new model designations. It was stupid, but life went on. Everyone still had the guns they wanted. Crime rates were totally indifferent to the legislation.

We dance around 922r with parts count games. There's no difference in the guns. Noone has ever had their parts counted at the range or had ATF show up to conduct a compliance check on their home build. Worst I ever heard was someone built a non-co rifle on a transferable rxvr and sold it. The buyer wisely invoved the authorities to avoid personal liability. The whole thing has basically been an annoying and pointless bureaucratic circle jerk. Everyone still has the guns they want. Crime is unaffected in any way shape or form.

We can barely skip a beat on the barrel-ban-letter-thingy by importing blanks, doing the finish work here, thus closing the gap with psuedo-domestically produced goods. Screw builders will get burned. Builders will have to migrate a little further into the gunsmith category by being able to headspace thier rifles. Life would go on. We'd all still have the same guns. As usual, criminals wouldn't even notice that anything had changed.

Each one encroaches in various inane ways, but we've always been able to deal with it one way or another. All of this jostling around and flipping has me nervous. There's no telling what tomorrow will bring. I much prefer static and circimventable to fluid and unpredictable.

If all barrels have to get whacked ....... or if they retract it entirely ...... I can live with either way.
I just don't like it when they spend a lot of time DECIDING THINGS. That could fuck up everything.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 10:06:06 AM EDT
[#24]
My head is spinning.

So the summary is that we still don't know what this all means.  I have a few nice AK kits that may be worth their weight in scrap metal, or maybe a little more if someone wants to use it to repair a rifle.  With so many unbuilt kits out there that still doesn't make each individual kit worth much.  

There is no hope whatsoever of building anything myself because I can barely hammer a nail into a piece of wood, and even then I manage to hit my thumb 50% of the time.  So that leaves a builder who may not be allowed to build the rifle after Jan. '06.  Since I am still weeks (?months) away from getting my Global receivers I may be SOL.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 10:29:57 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
My head is spinning.

So the summary is that we still don't know what this all means.  I have a few nice AK kits that may be worth their weight in scrap metal, or maybe a little more if someone wants to use it to repair a rifle.  With so many unbuilt kits out there that still doesn't make each individual kit worth much.  

There is no hope whatsoever of building anything myself because I can barely hammer a nail into a piece of wood, and even then I manage to hit my thumb 50% of the time.  So that leaves a builder who may not be allowed to build the rifle after Jan. '06.  Since I am still weeks (?months) away from getting my Global receivers I may be SOL.  

Not to worry, C4.
If you lose your nerve, I'm prepared to swoop in on all kits for pennies-on-the-dollar.

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 12:31:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
How is 922r compliance determined?
OOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh thaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttsssssss rrrriiiiiggggghhhhhtttt, ................. ATF decides whether or not it's compliant.
The "No more than ten foreign parts" rule is some completely arbitrary bullshit that ATF pulled from thin air. If they whimsically decided that a domestic arm must be constructed with 100% domestically produced components ............ what then?

This is completely wrong.

The "ten part rule" is included in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) that is part of 922r.  It is law.  I agree with you that it's BS but the ATF cannot arbitrarily change it.

If we (gun owners) are ever going to be able to change these laws we hate so much, we really should learn a little about how our government works.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Whose idea was it that you have to build your kits before Jan '06?  It seems to me that all this affects is importation, not the ability to build kits already on US soil.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 4:45:50 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My head is spinning.

Not to worry, C4.
If you lose your nerve, I'm prepared to swoop in on all kits for pennies-on-the-dollar.

Good sir, I wouldn't let any of my kits go for less than a nickel.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 4:25:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Too rich for my blood.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 8:48:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 1:00:35 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I think in the future the matching numbers parts kit will not be allowed to be imported.  Instead we will see boxes of 50 trunions, 50 gas blocks, 50 barrels, with US manufacturers substituting more and more parts, so that you have to build an AK out of a true box of parts instead of an already partially-assembled kit.  It will drive prices up and it will make it very difficult to be a home builder,

If that happens, I'll start a business that takes these random parts and assmebles/headspaces them, so that they resemble the current matching # kits. All rivets removed. Trunions tapped as an option.  I wouldn't mind spending my weekends in the shop for a few extra bucks. Tons of other guys wouldn't mind doing the same thing.

Guys are pressing barrels in and out with threaded rod and duct tape. Folks complete AR lowers with $50 drill presses and a set of files. The price might go up, but the building will continue until they make it illegal. Mixing up the parts won't stop it. A barrel shortage won't stop it.

My concern is that a non-complete kit will sell for a lot less. Meaning that US importers will have to cut what they are paying for AKs in order to stay in business with their newly devalued product. If what US companies can pay falls below the global market value of the AKs, then no kits will get imported.

Link Posted: 12/4/2005 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 8:13:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Anyone hear any further clarifications (or more confusion) from the ATF regarding the barrel ban?
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 11:52:44 PM EDT
[#34]
"model not known to be sporting may require the submission of a sample for
evaluation to determine if importation of the barrels will be approved."

Nothing has changed, except now the ATF will only allow in barrels for "sporting firearms"

So, we can still get those AK barrels, but the bayonett lugs will be ground off, and the threads on the muzzel will be removed.  And somebody will be needing to bring them an old norinco AK wood set on a romanian ak, (you know, the one with the uncomfortable thumbhole stock, no lug and no threads.)

AMD65s will either have a permanent extention installed, or the threads ground off.

SO, with this extra work that must be done before importation, we will be paying more money for less awsome kit.

It is not very expensive to add threads to a barrel, esp if you are doing a bunch. One may need to build a 922 compliant gun before you thread the barrel though.

And bayo lugs can be added with a bit of welding and dremeling.

more retarded diddling from the alphabet boys

summary:

So, the old kits go up in value, and the new kits will suck, but suck a lot less than the ones that would have had no barrel.

Link Posted: 12/8/2005 6:18:15 AM EDT
[#35]
I don't really see that happening. It's a kit, there is nothing illegal about the bayo lug or threads. Now if you assemble it into something that is illegal then you would have problems. If it came down to it they could just tac weld the nut or break on, quicker, leagal, and less expensive. I don't think anyone really will know until jan. 1. Maybe the importers know? Probably like a magician's tricks no ones talking until then so they can sell what they have.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#36]
On the Form 6, just put 922 (r) compliant weapons?
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 7:08:36 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
On the Form 6, just put 922 (r) compliant weapons?

No.  I'm pretty sure that is not correct.  922r compliance is not the same thing as legally importable.  Note the distinction:  A 922r compliant weapon is a weapon that is either 1) Made in the U.S. or 2) Does not contain certain evil features, and is therefore importable.  A weapon can comply with 922r but still not be legally importable.  ATF's letter isn't that murky, in my opinion.   They essentially said:

1) We will allow importation of parts that can be used to build a legally importable weapon.
2) We want assurance from the importer that the parts it imports will only  be built into legally importable weapons.

How hard they come down on the importers is a matter of degree.  So far it just seems they want an affidavit.  someday they may want threads and bayo lugs ground off, and pistol grips excluded from parts kits.   Doesn't really affect builders much.   The ATF Technical branch is usually a step behind the private market, methinks, because their bosses probably don't listen to them all the time.

922r compliant != legally importable.   A U.S. made AR-15 is 922R compliant because its an American rifle.   If sold overseas, I'm pretty sure it cannot be reimported via Executive Order from Clinton which said that US-made military hardware can't be re-imported.  If that's true, it would extend to an Ar-15 parts kit as well.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 3:32:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 8:46:16 PM EDT
[#39]
So we won't be allowed to have our threaded barrels, bayonet lugs, etc., if we use kits imported after Jan 1 '06, since those features would make a rifle non-importable?  Is that basically what it means?  People are making this very complicated.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 11:04:00 PM EDT
[#40]
edited
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
So we won't be allowed to have our threaded barrels, bayonet lugs, etc., if we use kits imported after Jan 1 '06, since those features would make a rifle non-importable?  Is that basically what it means?  People are making this very complicated.

YOU will be allowed to have anything you want.   You will not be allowed to import and re-sell anything you want.   If you're not importing on a Form 6 in order to sell the parts kits, I don't think you've got anything to worry about.  The law doesn't say an individual or even a company can't assemble an imported weapon from parts.   It says you can't import the parts to make a weapon with evil features.

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 9:50:04 PM EDT
[#42]
you can make and sell whatever you want, as long as it is 922 compliant.

the only thing that has changed is our ability to get the parts imported while they have evil featres, such as bayonet lug, threaded barrel, pistol grip, (missed that one before)

The only thing that has changed, is they are now applying the "sporting features" clause to importation of spare parts.  

The laws about what you can have, build, sell,  here in the USA have not changed.

The next ak rifle kits will not have bayo lugs, threaded barrels, and pistol grips.

I not certain yet about pistol length barrels., and how they fit in the new ruling.. currently there is a law regarding the import of pistols, but AK pistols fall well outside the "saturday night special" clause.

so, krink kits should be unaffected, except for removing the threads on the front sight block. :(  The worst is that  they can't import folding stocks. The barrels may need to  have the fake can already attached, if the ATF wanted to get nasty.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:43:26 PM EDT
[#43]
don't see how that'll be that big of a problem if they cut up the guns before they reach the us, then they'll officially be non-guns and just machine parts. whoopee.... cut em up on the boat or at the docks, whichever.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:44:35 AM EDT
[#44]
My head hurts.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:50:31 PM EDT
[#45]

provided prospective importers of such barrels make representations indicating that
nonimportable firearms."

Non importable means a gun on the list of SPECIFIC guns banned from import, ie AK-47, UZI, etc. If the gun is assembled as 922r compliant is is now a US made version of one of these guns but cannot be labled an AK47 because it is technically not, etc., so they are called something else (WASR, SAR, etc) Kits should still come in but clarification as to what they are to be used for...ie must comply with 922r. Its like a Bushmaster being an XM15 (technically its NOT an AR-15) which had a threaded barrel and bayo lug. It has those features not but it is still NOT an AR-15. Its all in the wording.

My head hurts now......
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:53:46 PM EDT
[#46]
We can only hope. I'll take 10 wasr krinks please along with side of PLO SVD hunting rifles.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:15:09 PM EDT
[#47]
After reading all of this, my head is spinning. I think I need a drink......

Quoted:
My head hurts.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:33:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Its like what the U.S. gov. told the native american indians in the 1800's...
"Just sign this piece of paper and trust us you can still live on your land!"....hippie.gif
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:12:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Does that idea hit the nail on the head or what????

Quoted:
Its like what the U.S. gov. told the native american indians in the 1800's...
"Just sign this piece of paper and trust us you can still live on your land!"....

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:09:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Anyone know anything new on the barrel ban?
Page / 3
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top