Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2003 4:34:14 PM EDT
I purchased a prerban Norinco AK with all the goodies (underfolder & bayo lug) in 1994. It was fired once (one round Russian military) and was not cleaned (ah, to be young and VERY stupid). Anyway, it has since that time sat under a bed at a relative's house for nearly ten years in the described condition. We all know and respect the extreme durability of this weapon and we all know (now, at least) the need to take proper care of our firearms. Now for the question.

I plan to pick it up in a few months and am wondering what damage(s) have occured due to the years of neglect. The bad side is what was mentioned (dirty bore, no routine maint.) the good news is that the house is in the north, a dry climate, with heat & AC. What problems do you forsee? I know this is an awkward question due to the immeasurable variables involved, but I wonder what the worst case scenario might be and what to pay special attention to as I nurse this weapon into servicable condition. What are your thoughts on this? Should I bring anything special with me (solvents, tools, etc.) other than a fully stocked cleaning kit?
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 4:42:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I doubt that one round corroded it up. Heck, factories testfire rifles, then they set on distributor's and dealer's shelves for who knows how long. There is the possibility of surface rust on the exterior metal from handling with oily skin, but other than that you should be good to go. You may want to check the bore just to be sure and oil all moving parts, but it should be just fine. Hey, if a guy's AK can sit at the bottom of a lake for 10-15 years, yours should be fine under a bed. Don't sweat it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 5:02:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Shoots what? water! Na just kiddin, Good luck with your project.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 5:47:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=2268
15 years in the pond...and it still shoots!

Please do tell us the whole story.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 6:00:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top