Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/16/2002 8:13:09 PM EDT
I just traded for a AK that from what I understand is a PreBan.The guy I got it from traded for it and decided it was more of a project than he could handle so I ended up with it.The only markings on it are      
             ?SAD MANH
              BEA.CA
I put it next to my AK and its marked nothing like mine.I cant find any marks where my other AKs where marked either.All I can find are the markings above and the SN.It also had a flip out bayo and a pistol grip.Not the Buthole stock.The pistol grip is wood.This rifle is rough.The guy I got it from is a Cop and he got it from a friend that had thrown it in a Pond years ago.Dont know why he did it but for some reason he got pissed and slung it into a pond.My buddy said it had been there about 10 or 15 years.Zoom forward to present day.The pond got drained a few weeks ago and my buddy and his friend went on the search for the AK.They found it and my buddy ended up with it.The buttstock and upper handgaurd were rotted off.The lower handgaurd and pistol grip are there but you can imagine what they look like.The barrel has a few spots of rifling left,the outside is pitted/rusted bad,it had a BAYO that is gone,looks like the pin rusted that held the bayo on,the bolt is rusted but after soaking worked loose,the receiver is pitted on the ouside but besides for alittle rust on the inside its ok,the trigger group is there and the springs have rusted into.?I know its a Turd but I really think the Receiver could be Salvaged.Might be a good receiver to build a PreBan Bulgie out of.So what do you guys think.Is it a PreBan?If it is Ill have all kinds of interesting questions to ask.Later,45B10
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 1:03:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not familiar with the markings, but if the bayonet had to be held on with a pin, my guess is it's a Chinese gun.  Is the receiver milled or stamped?  If it is indeed a pre-ban gun, there's no reason not to salvage the receiver!  Any way you cut it, the Chinese guns are just slightly off dimensionally, so it will take a little more work to build up one with Eastern European parts.  It can be done, just a little more work.

Since you're pretty much going to have to get all new parts anyway, I'd build a Krink on it, complete with folding stock.

If the gun had been thrown in a pond, you may want to make sure that it hasn't been modified in anyway before you go and get your fingerprints all over it.

Ross
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 2:04:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Take a few pics and post them so we can see the weapon.

KF
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 4:03:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 4:11:33 AM EDT
[#4]
if you have to ask the answer is NO!
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 5:11:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Im  not trying to imply anything but normally when someone throws a rifle in a pond ,its for the man not to find it.Just sounds strange . War Dawg
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 7:54:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 8:31:14 AM EDT
[#7]
This is a Stamped gun.Ill try to post some pics later after work.If I can figure out how if not Ill send them to them someone to post if anyone will for me.

Campy... I thought about bead blasting it with Walnut meadia to see how the metal was.I also thought about putting the spring kit out of my Norinco in it to fire it.I think I will so everyone will know the truth about AKs.Im sure if the springs hadnt rusted it would still fire after dowsing it in CLP.I think this will be my first step before the rebuild.Any suggestions on where to buy a CHEAP springset for the test?

308wood...I had to ask and it looks like it is a PreBan.LOL!!I guess some of us are NOT all knowing and have to ask questions!!

WarDawg..I know how it sounds but trust me its not hot.You see Im in the Land of the BUBBA Deer Hunters and its not too far fetched for one of them to get stupid and throw a (inacurate)commie rifle in the drink.Have you seen Delevarance?It was filmed here.LOL.
My buddy that I got it from is a Cop and it was his buddy that threw it in the pond so I know its on the up and up.Besides I doubt if it they were trying to dispose of it he wouldnt have dug it up after he drained the pond.

The bueaty of this all is I picked this up/traded an AR lower for it.Figure Ill have 100.00 in a Lower.I have the rifle now and dont have to come up with the lower till after Christmas.Remember awhile back me about asking if you could find  PreBan lower for AKs.I guess the answer is YES!!Aint life grand.LOL
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 9:07:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 10:40:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Right now everything is free and all parts move.My buddy soaked it pretty good in PB Blaster and everything freed up.Ill brush the barrel good before shooting.It has some spots but is free of obstructions.Who is the GO TO Guy to get my receiver back up to par?If I dont send it off I thought about putting a bake on finish on it that might help to build up the pitted areas.I make it sound bad but really its not as bad or atleast any worse than some Maadis Ive seen.No matter what direction I go I see an Underfolder in my future.The SN is legable on the receiver.One number could stand to be restamped(any suggestions) but its legable.It matches the number on the bolt.Pictures to follow as soon as I get off work.Later,45B10
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 6:02:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Interesting.....

I postulated some time back that the corrosion of the springs, particularly the smallish disconnector and extractor springs would be the first to fail.  This seems to confirm it.

Gents, I actually have one of these GSAD puesdo-poly techs.  Got it in 1988 Brand Spankin' new.

Fortunately, mine still looks brand spankin' new despite having fired a couple of thousand fun filled rounds of cheap chinese ammo and cleaned with mucho TLC thereafter.  

That rifle is so clean you could eat out of it, however, the heavy lube might give you the post dinner squirts!  It is, IMO one of the top 10 cleanest Kalishnikovs on Planet Earth at this moment.

It would be interseting to have you post some pictures, and I could post one of mine.

My advice, if the reciever proves salvagable, to use it as a basis for a krink build up for a nice registered 5.45 krink SBR build up with all the evil features intact.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 6:05:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Who will post some pics for me??Im downloading them as we speak.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 6:14:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 6:48:02 PM EDT
[#13]
RotDorn
     Im sizing and downloading to a disc.Should have them to you in a few.Thanks,Chris
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 7:21:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Rotdorn nailed the identity of the rifle.

Uh, so did wardawg.

Pond guns are usually MURDER weapons.

I'd toss it back.

Mike

Link Posted: 12/17/2002 7:50:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Sorry guys no pictures tonight.Cant get my camera to take a good enough pic to post.Ill borrow a camera tommorro and get some pics taken.

Valmet_M76
         I know how it sounds but I think Ill hold on to it.My buddy that I got it from is a LEO.I really find it hard to beleave that his freind would have gotten it out of the pond and just handed it over to him if he had  used it in a crime.I mean come on.I live in a town of less than 1000 people.My buddy grew up here with his buddy that gave it to him.Dont you think that my buddy being a LEO(even if he was being a GOOD OLE BOY) would have told him to shit can it if he had even though it had been used in a crime or atleast would have known something wasnt right with the rifle and refused to accept it.Lets face it.Shit Happens.People do stupid stuff.My Mother-in-Laws boyfreind got pissed at her one night.He took a NEW Remington 597(that she bought him) and wrapped it around a tree.He then threw the peices into her Lagoon.Id get it too but Im not fishin around in her Shit Pond for a 597.Another buddy of mine that owns a big farm close by has a SKS thats outside stuck in the ground 24/7 by the Spike Bayo.Been there almost 2yrs now.Says its a cheap gun and wants to see how long itll last like that.Ive seen him shoot it several times and then he jams it into the ground again by the BAYO.Might not touch it for months before picking it up again.Like I said I understand how it sounds but I know the guy that tossed it the pond,my buddy I got it from is a LEO and grew up with the guy.I know why it ended up in the pond to begin with.The gun is OK trust me besides if he wanted it gone for good hed have driven 15 miles and trown it into Lake of the Ozarks where it would never have been found.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 5:00:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 9:44:27 AM EDT
[#17]
So long as you are certain that it doesn't have an evil past, ...

Nice find 45B10 !
The reciever, with a good ser#, is a steal by itself.
The wow-is-that-neat factor is icing on the cake.
I knew they were tough, but this is the stuff urban legends are made of.

Now for a bunch of questions.

Is it stamped or milled?
(Really impressed if a stamped rxvr lived through that.)

I'd expect failure anywhere the metal is thin.
What is the condition of:
Springs?
Firing pin?
Sheppard's-hook?
Rxvr cover edges?
Safety lever?
Trigger group pins, and edges of rxvr around pin holes?

Basically, what needs to be replaced to make it run again?

Do you think Tuff-Gun or some other coating would have caused the failing parts to last significantly longer?

Thanks, this is ultra cool.
Please post pics.

Flechette.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 3:58:14 PM EDT
[#18]
RotDorn When and if you have the Disconnector let me know and Ill send you my address.

Flechette
So long as you are certain that it doesn't have an evil past, ...
 ***Im sure trust me

The reciever, with a good ser#, is a steal by itself.
 ***I know thats why Im so jazzed
The wow-is-that-neat factor is icing on the cake.
I knew they were tough, but this is the stuff urban legends are made of.

Now for a bunch of questions.

Is it stamped or milled?
(Really impressed if a stamped rxvr lived through that.)
 ***Be impressed Dude.Its stamped
I'd expect failure anywhere the metal is thin.
 ***Its pitted but not too bad
What is the condition of:
Springs?They are there and function.There rusted
Firing pin?PB Blaster freed it up.Its rusted
Sheppard's-hook?Its Rusted
Rxvr cover edges?Receiver is MIA.Where ever it is Im sure its rusted.
Safety lever?Edges are rusted off mostly but works
Trigger group pins, and edges of rxvr around pin holes?The trigger group pins are fine.I had them out last night to redue the springs.The loop wasnt on the hammer right.As I said above the receiver is pretty sound.Its pitted and has some surface rust but is basically a sound receiver.

Basically, what needs to be replaced to make it run again?Just the parts that where MIA when I got it.The Guide Rod & Spring,Disconnector,Disconnector Spring and Top Cover.Right now all Ive done is put the Hammer Spring back where it goes and put the Guide Rod & Spring from my Norinco in it.

Do you think Tuff-Gun or some other coating would have caused the failing parts to last significantly longer?I Dunno?I figure the finish that was applied helped it alot.I dont know what it may have had on it to begain with but it lasted quiet awhile.Im sure being burried in the mud may have helped some also.

Thanks, this is ultra cool.
Please post pics.

Ill have em up tonight hopefully.Later,45B10
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 3:37:58 AM EDT
[#19]
There was a kid in Jax, Fla., who found a Maadi MISR in the woods.  He turned it in to JSO, which did a ballistics test on it, and found that it had not been used in any reported crimes.   As I understand it, the rifle was even returned to the kid's family when nobody turned up to claim it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 4:36:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Hate to have to post this but here it goes.Just want to ease all concerned minds.

OK for those that havent read all the post about this AK.ITS NOT HOT/NOT USED IN ANY CRIMES.My buddy that I got this from is an LEO.The gun SN HAS been run .IT IS CLEAN.Thanks,45B10
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#21]
HMMMMMM.......

Funny part is, running the serial number proves little.
It would only show up if the rifle had been reported stolen.
It does not cover the possibility that the rifle was used to harm someone, thrown into the pond, and is now too deteriorated to obtain usefull ballistics.

You have previously stated that you are familiar with the rifle's original owner, know him well, and trust him.
Also stated that the intermediary is a LEO.

I have every confidence that things are on the up-and-up.

Can't blame people for reasonable conclusions though.

Hurry up with those pics will ya !?
I'm ultra curious 'bout the damage severity.

Later.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 5:39:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Flechette_HVAC
             Look for the tread.IM GONNA SHOOT IT****U47 PICS ADDED.There are 3 topics pertaining to this AK.Actually the LEO I got this from is my friend and the guy that he got it from is a buddy he grew up with.I know his buddy also but the LEO is my longtime freind.Also watch the U47 Project has begun thread.Thats where all the updates will be.Later,45B10
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top