Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2011 6:16:19 PM EDT
Best Grain for .223 1:7 twist 16" Barrel

What would be the best grain weight for 100-200 yard shots from this setup and barrel twist?

Can you use 55 grain and still be accurate without tearing up the barrel?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 6:22:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Whatever your barrel shoots best. This question should be in the Ammo Forum, not Troubleshooting.

Read the AR15 Ammo Forum FAQs

ETA: I like shooting Black Hills Ammo (Red or Blue box), to see how accurate my rifle is.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 6:34:34 PM EDT
[#2]
55 grain bullets are no more "damaging" to you barrel than are 69 grain bullets.

As a matter of personal observations, 55 grains shoot fine from my 16" 1/7 carbines.

Good luck,
Bill
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 6:41:53 PM EDT
[#3]
apoligies, couldn't decide whether to put it in troubleshooting, ammo or barrels and accesories.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#4]
And thanks Bill,

That is what I have been shooting then one of my buddies said my twist was not compatable with the 55 grain. Stupid friends.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 6:52:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
And thanks Bill,

That is what I have been shooting then one of my buddies said my twist was not compatable with the 55 grain. Stupid friends.

Might be that your friends were reading/listening to crap, and just regurgitating it.

Then again, they might be stupid.

The only ammo I would have reservations shooting in a 1/7" twist would be the light (40gr and 45gr) thin jacket bullets (Sierra's Blitz, Hornady's SX and V-Max). Other than these, let the bullets fly!
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 7:26:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Bill, just wanted to make sure before I ordered 1000 rds or 55 gr
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 9:31:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Just remember the relationship between bullet length (which we equate to weight) and twist:  longer (heavier) bullets need more stabilization in the form of faster twist.

1:7 will stabilize the heavies (77gr) and lighter; as WFB stated, 1:7 may overstabilize (spin too fast) the lightest bullets available, but probably not.

On the other hand, slower twists, 1:8, 9, 12, et al may not stabilize the heavier bullets and at some point, rifle dependent, accuracy may drop off as you go up in bullet weight.

Also, the original M16 had a 1:12 twist for 55gr bullets.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top