Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:30:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the forum. You know, normally, when we say "it cost $XXX for everything" and we're talking about a rifle, we put sights on it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:48:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Welcome to the forum. You know, normally, when we say "it cost $XXX for everything" and we're talking about a rifle, we put sights on it.

and this isn't the first thread I've read in the past couple days regarding those POS complete uppers or the company hocking them.....care to check some ISP's staff?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:52:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, I'm willing to give this guy the benefit of the doubt...

It would be nice to see a true range report...
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:55:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

just seems convenient that his first post is complete with dollars and websites, wouldn't be the first shill account I've seen this month
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:02:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Well I may go to the range this weekend and put 60 rounds through it. I will let you all know how it works.  Granted 60 rounds isn't very much but if you would like to send me a case I will gladly shoot it for you. I have noticed the though that when you close the bolt hard the aluminum makes a chiming sound unless you have the hand guards on it. And I assure you this is no endorsement of any site.  I am only posting pictures of what I received to show what my experience with this company was and as Nutnfancy would say, "your mileage may vary."
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:08:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well I may go to the range this weekend and put 60 rounds through it. I will let you all know how it works.  Granted 60 rounds isn't very much but if you would like to send me a case I will gladly shoot it for you. I have noticed the though that when you close the bolt hard the aluminum makes a chiming sound unless you have the hand guards on it. And I assure you this is no endorsement of any site.  I am only posting pictures of what I received to show what my experience with this company was and as Nutnfancy would say, "your mileage may vary."

well be sure and report back. you will need sights on the rifle to accurately fire it. hopefully you're happy with the upper, because as I understand it, those are Del Ton barrels that were sold as factory seconds, because the gas port is in the wrong place, which means replacement parts will be custom if anything needs to be changed or repaired.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:11:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Was duly noted before the purchase.  They stated everything directly in the description of the product.  Why couldn't you, if a new barrel was purchased, just get a new gas tube???
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:13:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Was duly noted before the purchase.  They stated everything directly in the description of the product.  Why couldn't you, if a new barrel was purchased, just get a new gas tube???

gas port in the wrong location = gas block in the wrong location, and a gas tube having to be custom cut to length. or they use a custom made gas block in order to use a standard gas tube, I'm not sure which.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:15:04 AM EDT
[#9]
So a new gas block, tube, and barrel would be needed?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:19:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So a new gas block, tube, and barrel would be needed?

I can't say for sure, I don't know what they did to compensate for the mis-drilling of the gas port. The rail is made by UTG, which is an Airsoft parts company, which isn't known for being high quality. I'm not trying to critique your purchase, other than to say that I personally would have not bought that upper. If it fires and makes you happy, then that's all you need to care about.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:21:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Only time will tell!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:01:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Here's a pic of my critter getter, It's been good to me so far and I've put a few hundred rounds through it with no problems at all. I'm heading out to shoot a little this afternoon and I'll take a couple more photos and do a range report.

If you think the upper is cheap, check out my sling.  It's an old Briggs and Stratton pull start rope.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:12:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey, at least you'll have a longer sight radius, what with that gas block being so far forward!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:25:24 AM EDT
[#14]
You bet 3/8 of an inch longer!

I think I'll call it my midlength.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:28:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Here's a few pics of the JSE at the range this afternoon. Including a pic of the rifle with a case stuck in the chamber!
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=460379
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:31:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't know why but I was under the impression these had M4 ramps.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:03:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

gas port in the wrong location = gas block in the wrong location, and a gas tube having to be custom cut to length. or they use a custom made gas block in order to use a standard gas tube, I'm not sure which.

Maybe its because I am just new to this whole world, but I am failing to see how this is a huge problem.  I understand that it will cause issues with parts availability, but isn't the gas tube just an aluminum tube when it comes down to it?  Couldn't you cut the tube down yourself in the future if you had to?

I can understand how cheap parts can sometimes cause problems but in this case my own ignorance is keeping me from seeing the huge problem.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:21:28 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm pretty sure I would just need to cut the gas tube a little 3/8th inch (or buy a new one), and get a new barrel.  I'm no expert but that sounds logical!!! Anyone care to disagree???
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:31:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure I would just need to cut the gas tube a little 3/8th inch (or buy a new one), and get a new barrel.  I'm no expert but that sounds logical!!! Anyone care to disagree???

which direction is the gas block 3/8" too far in, towards the muzzle, or towards the receiver? if it's towards the muzzle, then you can't buy carbine gas tubes, and will have to use rifle length cut to size. I don't foresee a failure which will require a parts purchase in the near future, or at all for that matter; it's just something to consider.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:33:55 AM EDT
[#20]
The gas block is further towards the end of the barrel making the gas tube to long. So if a new barrel was purchased couldn't you put the gas block in the correct position for the newly installed barrel and cut off 3/8th inch of gas tube?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:12:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The gas block is further towards the end of the barrel making the gas tube to long. So if a new barrel was purchased couldn't you put the gas block in the correct position for the newly installed barrel and cut off 3/8th inch of gas tube?

Yeah you sure could, it wouldn't be much of a project at all.

Your best bet, however, would be to purchase a carbine length gas tube with a new barrel.

If you shot 5000 rounds out of the original barrel and then replaced it, the cost of the new barrel would be very little in comparision to the cost of 5000 rounds of ammo  at  $300-500 a case.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top