Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2008 12:59:09 AM EDT
Is it the increased sight radius? More room to mount stuff on the rails?

I think I'm going to get a 16" Midlength or Carbine flattop upper... Probably Bushmaster.

I've got a DPMS stripped lower and a RRA parts kit.

Also, I'm confused on the flash suppressor/birdcage/ all that jazz... I want a threaded barrel on the end, with a flash suppressor, as short as legally possible... can that be done? What other options are there?

Is a HBAR more accurate?
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 1:57:19 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Is it the increased sight radius?
Yes, thats one reason

More room to mount stuff on the rails?
Yep, theres another reason for some.

Also take into account the gas pulse is longer which softens recoil a bit, improves extraction reliability, and reduces gas port erosion.

I think I'm going to get a 16" Midlength or Carbine flattop upper... Probably Bushmaster. Good choice. Check out RRA and CMMG too.

I've got a DPMS stripped lower and a RRA parts kit.

Also, I'm confused on the flash suppressor/birdcage/ all that jazz... I want a threaded barrel on the end, with a flash suppressor, as short as legally possible... can that be done? What other options are there?

In order for you to have a threaded barrel without an SBR tax stamp, the barrel itself has to be 16" long without the flash suppressor attached. There is no getting around that unless you want to pay the $200 tax stamp to the ATF. If you want a 14.5" barrel, you need a permanantly attached muzzle device (ie, pinned and welded on) which would technically bring your overall length to 16". You lose the option of having threads if you go that route though. Those are your two options.

Is a HBAR more accurate?
For a mid-length or carbine, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless you were doing some serious precision stuff with custom loads. IMO, HBARs and bull barrels belong on match/varmint guns 20" and longer. Save yourself the weight and go with a lighter profile.

My two pennies.
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 2:55:22 AM EDT
[#2]
The post above me pretty much answers it.

If you do want to go with a perm attached muzzle device on a 14.5, a midlength gas system is not an option.
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 3:45:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Armalite also makes a midlength, I love mine...  
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 4:47:06 AM EDT
[#4]
my 2 cents...

I traded my Armalite middy for a Bushmaster Carbine upper.  The Armalite ran my reloads and the bushmsater doesn't...  reason being is that I don't load hot...
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 5:03:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

If you do want to go with a perm attached muzzle device on a 14.5, a midlength gas system is not an option.

Actually, it is. And the best one IMHO. My 14.7 middie is an amazing shooter. Never had any kind of failure from day one and the dot barely moves under recoil. And with just an Aimpoint and crappy Wolf ammo I can drill our 400 yard gong every time. (It's 12") I shot my mid along side my old carbine HBAR and the recoil was significantly reduced by the mid length gas system.

For the OP, I'd go with a 14.5", mid gas, medium to light contour, and permanently affix the muzzle thingy of your choice. CMMG can build you one right off their website or any number of others will if you give them a call. Or you can roll your own like I did. The reduced length is very noticeable and if you choose wisely you won't regret not being able to play musical muzzle attachments.

Link Posted: 5/16/2008 8:30:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Tell that to my favorite rifle in my collection, my 14.5" middy with perm-attached Phantom. Softest recoil of the bunch, best balance, cleanest BCG, and has been as accurate as it has been reliable...

Link Posted: 5/16/2008 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The site moderators are not to be criticized.

If the site moderators are not to be criticized, then perhaps the site moderators, especially the "minister of information", should make sure their posts are accurate? Not trying to be rude or insulting, I'm just curious as to why you'd say that a permanently attached muzzle device isn't an option for a mid length system?
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 10:36:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Then perhaps the site moderators, especially the "minister of information", should make sure their posts are accurate? Not trying to be rude or insulting, I'm just curious as to why you'd say that a permanently attached muzzle device isn't an option for a mid length system?

I've got a new signature now!

You did see the obvious 1984 reference, correct?  

And yeah, clearly I'm wrong about 14.5 midlengths.  I didn't think anybody was making 'em.  I hope I didn't ruffle too many feathers, but looks like I might have.

And sorry for the delay, I didn't keep up on this thread.
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 10:38:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

And yeah, clearly I'm wrong about 14.5 midlengths.  I didn't think anybody was making 'em.  I hope I didn't ruffle too many feathers, but looks like I might have.

DOH, no, I just woke up and completely missed the 1984 thing. My apologies, my brain isn't fully functional yet.

(Yes, I know it's 1230 in the afternoon...I got off work at 3:30 this morning...)

ETA:

ROFL, love the new signature!! And no, no feathers ruffled. And again, my intention was not to give you too much of a hard time.
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 10:40:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DOH, no, I just woke up and completely missed the 1984 thing. My apologies, my brain isn't fully functional yet.

(Yes, I know it's 1230 in the afternoon...I got off work at 3:30 this morning...)

No worries at all.  I've actually been waiting for somebody to miss the reference and assume it's some sort of arrogant declaration about myself.  That really isn't how it's intended.  My sig, avatar phrase, and everything else used to be chock full of 1984 references, as it's my favorite piece of literature.  But this is all that remains.

ETA: regarding the new sig, www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=709817&page=9
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 10:47:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

ETA: regarding the new sig, www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=709817&page=9

HAHA let us know how that works out for ya.
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 11:05:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 12:55:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

No offense, but I hate that damn "beating a dead horse" smiley.

I don't frequent arfcom or anything so I don't get exposed to nearly as much of the repeat threads as some of the more active members do, but IMO, if you aren't going to say something constructive to the OP, then why bother?

I've already answered his questions, so that really wasn't necessary, was it?

[/soapbox]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:52:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No offense, but I hate that damn "beating a dead horse" smiley.

I don't frequent arfcom or anything so I don't get exposed to nearly as much of the repeat threads as some of the more active members do, but IMO, if you aren't going to say something constructive to the OP, then why bother?

I've already answered his questions, so that really wasn't necessary, was it?

[/soapbox]

QFT.  Seriously!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:30:48 PM EDT
[#15]
After one builds 5 or 6 carbines they want to build something a little different - so one starts thinking of building a mid-length. And then some of us changes the color of the furniture. Its an addiction, much like a women cooks different recipies.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top