BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/8/2018 4:38:40 PM EDT
I've set my budget at $500, give or take a few bucks.
At the current moment I don't own a scope worth more that $200 so this one will be a vast improvement over anything I have.

Rifle: 20" LaRue Stealth 5.56mm, LaRue MBT Trigger
Mount: Burris PEPR 30mm (not QD)
This is a "Bench Rifle" only for recreational shooting. I want to practice/learn more about precision shooting and dialing for elevation/windage.
Shooting groups at 100 yards on paper.
Up to no more than 500 yards on steel.
I currently have a Nikko Stirling Targetmaster 4-16 X 44. I got it cheap from friend. It's OK but you get what you pay for.....

Wants:
1) At least up to 18X (you can talk me out of this, maybe) I know higher quality scopes with lower magnification are better/clearer than lower quality scopes with high magnification- I'm looking for a happy medium.
2) Target/exposed turrets graduated in MOA (they don't have to be the locking type)
3) 2nd focal plane reticle
4) No BDC reticles, MOA graduated preferably (I don't care if it's illuminated or not)
5) 30mm tube

I'm looking at Vortex Strike Eagle 4-24 X 50
Also an Athlon Helos BTR 6-24 X 50 (this one is 1st focal plane. I've never owned a FFP scope, so I don't how if I'll like it or not)
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 4:46:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Leopold VX-R Patrol 3-9, for 500 yds you do not need a higher power scope for 500 yds. They are slightly over $500 but can get them under $500 used.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 5:09:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Leopold VX-R Patrol 3-9, for 500 yds you do not need a higher power scope for 500 yds. They are slightly over $500 but can get them under $500 used.
View Quote
This.  My choice for my Recce build.  If OP really thinks he needs more power, there is a 4-12x version.  The 3-9x is more versatile.

For pure bench, Leupold's 6-18x40mm Mark AR.  It has a 1" main tube, but that is irrelevant except for windage adjustment beyond 700 yards.  Just use 1" to 30mm ring inserts.

The Mark AR is not illuminated, but all three have good, true tracking mrad .1 mil per click turrets with matching mrad turrets.  Once you try milrad, chances are high you will never want an MOA scope again.

IMHO a new 6-24x scope in OP's price range will be a disappointment.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 5:41:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I’d look at the Sighteon s-tac 3-16x42. I put one on an SPRish rifle and I’ve been very pleased with it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 5:59:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Primary arms 3-18 /thread
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#5]
SWFA 10x w/ side focus $400

SWFA 10x w/ rear focus $270

SWFA 12x w/ rear focus $270

Any of the above are more than adequate for what you want to do. I prefer the side focus model, but they do tend to be costlier/go on sale less often. SWFA is running 10% off right now.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 7:21:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Athlon Midas
Athlon Midas Tac
Athlon Helos
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 7:21:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep.

Wait for the Primary Arms 3-18 FFP to come out OP.

Going to be exactly $499.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I've shot two AR's with Leupold scopes on them (I don't know/remember what models they were) and I was absolutely floored by the sharpness/brightness.
Compared, of course, to the low buck scopes I'm using.
Do any of the other brands/models recommended so far come close to Leupold in optical quality/clarity?
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 7:30:04 PM EDT
[#9]
SWFA

This is FFP. For shooting longer distances, dialing, etc you will want that. This beats anything out there right now but the sale ends soon

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-3-15x42-tactical-rifle-scope-11.html
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Athlon Midas
Athlon Midas Tac
Athlon Helos
View Quote
I've looked pretty closely at the Athlon Helos BTR.  They have a great warranty but are getting mixed reviews on quality.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#11]
look at the nikon x1000 4-16 or if you can spend little more get the 6-24 like I just did. This is pretty much exactly what you want. awesome scope nothing else is close until double the price. side focus, illuminated reticle, 30mm tube, nikon optics, comes with a sun shade, nikon even has a bad ass app that lets you get full balistic readout for all the hash-marks on the reticle.

Amazon Product
  • Full multilayer coatings on all air-to-glass surfaces
  • Turret-mounted side focus Parallax adjustment
  • Generous, consistent Eye relief and elevated wind age & elevation turrets

ETA LOL at 3-9 for bench use at 500 yards.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 7:57:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
SWFA

This is FFP. For shooting longer distances, dialing, etc you will want that. This beats anything out there right now but the sale ends soon

View Quote
Where is that scope made? I am not a fan of Chinese scopes....
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 8:06:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Leupold VXr 3x9....I have a Mark 4 Precision 3x9 a discontinued scope on my Precision AR and have shot steel out to 600 with it. Stay away fro anything Chinese....Buy once cry once
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 9:25:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
They are made in Japan.  Their warranty, if ever needed, is rock solid too.  Do some Googling to see for yourself.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 9:27:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 11:31:41 PM EDT
[#16]
It misses 2 of your requirements, but Sportsmans Warehouse has the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 for $299. My location only had the BDCs and one mil dot ( display model). Might be able to have better luck if you have a store nearby.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 12:39:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They are made in Japan.  Their warranty, if ever needed, is rock solid too.  Do some Googling to see for yourself.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is good to know. U.S., German, Japanese, or Philipine assembled scopes for me.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 7:28:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
SWFA 10x w/ side focus $400

SWFA 10x w/ rear focus $270

SWFA 12x w/ rear focus $270

Any of the above are more than adequate for what you want to do. I prefer the side focus model, but they do tend to be costlier/go on sale less often. SWFA is running 10% off right now.
View Quote
This recommendation has me a bit intrigued. I've never considered a fixed power scope for whatever reason.
But now that I think about it more- I don't remember I the last time I backed off the magnification on a scope of mine. I always shoot on the highest power- maybe it's my bad eyes or personal preference- I don't know.
I see that SWFA has a fixed 16X and 20X as well.

This helped me: Rex Reviews SWFA Info/History
This, too: Rex Reviews SWFA Podcast

Any yahoo can make a youtube video and prop up a product, but this guy seems legit. The SWFA SS series scopes have an interesting history and this might just be one of the instances where you get more for your money.

I could pick up this one with the Butler Creek Caps and sunshade option and I'd be @$150 under budget: SWFA SS 16 X 42

So why would I regret buying a fixed power scope for my purposes?

ETA: I've been reading some reviews and various forum comments- the general opinion is that some optical quality is lost with the 16X and 20X scopes.
This would make sense, considering the price bracket these scopes fall into. I hate returning/selling stuff. Considering my background (always had low-buck scopes, NOT an experienced long range shooter, etc....), will I really notice the difference in quality between let's say a 16X and a 12X ?
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 8:14:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Weaver

https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-grand-slam-tactical-rifle-scope-3-10x40mm-mil-dot-reticle-matte-black.html
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 9:58:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is the correct answer
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 10:18:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Yeah the Talos turrets are garbage.  The three scopes I listed have much better turrets.  10mils per turn and the Midas Tac has a great zero stop.  The original Midas scopes have soft clicks, but track well.  The clicks are very positive on the Midas TAC and Helos scopes.  They are the best value in the sub $600 scopes in my opinion.

The SWFA scopes are a solid option.  I just wish they would give them an update.  The features are dated at this point.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Op

A downfall of fixed optics when shooting at longer ranges is mirage.  When mirage creeps in, some like to turn their mag down to see less through the scope. With fixed power you obviously can't do that.

Also if you ever plan to do anything else with the scope down the road, you may not have as much flexibility. Hunting for example - you may not want to hunt with a 10, 12, 16x fixed power. If you don't hunt, then that's nothing to worry about.

Your question about 12 vs 16x - that's really a personal preference. I like more mag vs less. Then there are other guys that will say 10x at 1,000 yards is "plenty". Ymmv
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 10:42:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
ETA: I've been reading some reviews and various forum comments- the general opinion is that some optical quality is lost with the 16X and 20X scopes.
This would make sense, considering the price bracket these scopes fall into. I hate returning/selling stuff. Considering my background (always had low-buck scopes, NOT an experienced long range shooter, etc....), will I really notice the difference in quality between let's say a 16X and a 12X ?
View Quote
The 16x and 20x SWFA scopes are very hard to get behind.  The 16x I had was not fun shoot.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I’d look at the Sighteon s-tac 3-16x42. I put one on an SPRish rifle and I’ve been very pleased with it.
View Quote
Got any more info on this scope? pics details  glass quality?
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 1:26:11 PM EDT
[#25]
I don’t have any pictures on my phone, but the quality to me is great. The other scope I have to compare it to is the vortex viper 6.5-20x44. The sightron’s glass looks clearer and a bit brighter. The turrets have a very satisfying click to them. I wish it had a touch more internal adjustment, but 70 moa total is decent.

It’s not a long scope either which I like for an ar15. Long scopes look funny to me on an ar.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 1:30:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Fixed SWFA glass is a great bargain, but not good for close-up shooting such as 50-100 yards. I have one and love it, but only use it for long-range.

You don’t need much magnification for 500 yard shooting. I compete out to 600 yards with a 4x.

Key is finding a scope with robust internals that will hold up to lots of knob turning without loosing repeatability. There are a lot of turret scopes in the >$500 range that look cool and have decent glass, but won’t hold up internally when you start using the turrets regularly.

One that has proven to hold up well to a lot of knob-cranking , and fits in your budget is the Vortex Viper PST. It has become the go-to budget solution for service rifle competition. The gen2 has a 1-6x version at the low end of the PST line-up which is plenty of magnication for shooting out to 500 yards.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 1:52:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That is good to know. U.S., German, Japanese, or Philipine assembled scopes for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's not forget Austrian glass:   Swarvoski and its sister company Kahles.  Both, however are way outside OP's price point.

It seems OP is wanting higher power than 9x or 10x and says this is a dedicated bench rifle.   At around $500, options are limited for higher power with decent optical clarity, especially "resolution", the ability to distinguish fine detail at longer ranges.

The Leupold Mark AR 6-18x40mm is currently street priced around $550.  With coupons or discounts it might come in a bit lower.  It has really nice tracking and glass for the price.  Here is a good, objective review:

http://www.snipercentral.com/leupold-mk-ar-6-18x40mm-full-review/

It's "old school" with front adjustable objective rather than side focus, and with mil dot reticle rather than more fancy "Christmas tree" styles, and with a 1" main tube, but it still has enough elevation range to get you to about 700 yards or so.  But, the money went into the optical performance and the turret tracking, which is what matters.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 6:11:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Let's not forget Austrian glass:   Swarvoski and its sister company Kahles.  Both, however are way outside OP's price point.

It seems OP is wanting higher power than 9x or 10x and says this is a dedicated bench rifle.   At around $500, options are limited for higher power with decent optical clarity, especially "resolution", the ability to distinguish fine detail at longer ranges.

The Leupold Mark AR 6-18x40mm is currently street priced around $550.  With coupons or discounts it might come in a bit lower.  It has really nice tracking and glass for the price.  Here is a good, objective review:

http://www.snipercentral.com/leupold-mk-ar-6-18x40mm-full-review/

It's "old school" with front adjustable objective rather than side focus, and with mil dot reticle rather than more fancy "Christmas tree" styles, and with a 1" main tube, but it still has enough elevation range to get you to about 700 yards or so.  But, the money went into the optical performance and the turret tracking, which is what matters.
View Quote
That's a very thorough review.
Thanks to everybody for making this decision soooooo much easier.....
But seriously, if I can take one thing away from this thread, choosing the right magnification seems to be the most subjective. One guy says he shoots with 4X out to 600 and the next guy has a totally different take on it.
I'll be shooting for tight groups at 100 yards and various sized steel from 100 to 500 yards. That is the only thing this gun will be expected to do for me, the rest is up to the shooter- I know.
I think a fixed 12X will do that.....
My boy was shooting a his .308 at 100 yards for groups with 24X and he never said "that's too much magnification"
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 6:13:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Vortex Strike Eagle 6-24x50 (target turrets) - $499.99
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
That's a very thorough review.
Thanks to everybody for making this decision soooooo much easier.....
But seriously, if I can take one thing away from this thread, choosing the right magnification seems to be the most subjective. One guy says he shoots with 4X out to 600 and the next guy has a totally different take on it.
I'll be shooting for tight groups at 100 yards and various sized steel from 100 to 500 yards. That is the only thing this gun will be expected to do for me, the rest is up to the shooter- I know.
I think a fixed 12X will do that.....
My boy was shooting a his .308 at 100 yards for groups with 24X and he never said "that's too much magnification"
View Quote
I personally think that for the capable range of the AR in 556 the 2.5-10x is the perfect balance of close range and enough zoom for longer shots. pair it with a offset red dot and you can do it all
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 7:25:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yep.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep.

That's what I'm waiting on. I have a fixed 16x SWFA, and I like it, but I'm eager to try out the new PA Athena reticle
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 7:34:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Thinking of getting Leupold vx-r patrol 1.25-4 for my Bren 805.  Seems like a solid optic for close to 200/300 yards range trips
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 7:34:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Millett 6x25x56 $449.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 7:38:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I have the VX-R Patrol on my Larue PredatAR 18" and it's my go-to gun - mostly because of the scope.  The FireDot is awesome for quick acquisition, and 3-9x is a very useful magnification range for 5.56.  The Mil reticle is simple, versatile & useful.

Quoted:
SWFA
I have the discontinued SFP version of this SWFA 3-15x scope, and would highly recommend it - or anything from SWFA, for that matter.  They are a great value for the money and their reticles are very intuitive.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 8:16:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That's what I'm waiting on. I have a fixed 16x SWFA, and I like it, but I'm eager to try out the new PA Athena reticle
View Quote
How is the clarity of the fixed 16X SWFA?  Any complaints?
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 10:42:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
When it's late dusk, the clarity drops off faster than with a high end optic, but totally worth the $

Turrets track true as well.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 10:07:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
When it's late dusk, the clarity drops off faster than with a high end optic, but totally worth the $

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like I found my scope.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 12:02:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
On a hot day or shooting suppressed he might change his opinion...
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably....... but no suppressors for Illinios and it was 105 degree heat index that day
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:34:39 PM EDT
[#40]
The 30mm tube requirement is eliminating a lot of good choices in your budget range

I'm saving my couch change up for a Mueller 8-32x44 w/ side focus and a 1/8moa target dot on fine wire cross hairs, to go on my 10/22 target rig.  So I can move the scope that is on it to my slowly-building-to-tack-driver AR15.

Just so happens that the Mueller hits all of your points, including being 30mm, gets great reviews, and is economical ($250ish)....

This site has a through-the-scope pic - https://www.eabco.net/Mueller-8-32X44-Side-Focus-Target-Dot-Riflescope_p_14776.html
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 11:37:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The 30mm tube requirement is eliminating a lot of good choices in your budget range

I'm saving my couch change up for a Mueller 8-32x44 w/ side focus and a 1/8moa target dot on fine wire cross hairs, to go on my 10/22 target rig.  So I can move the scope that is on it to my slowly-building-to-tack-driver AR15.

Just so happens that the Mueller hits all of your points, including being 30mm, gets great reviews, and is economical ($250ish)....

This site has a through-the-scope pic - https://www.eabco.net/Mueller-8-32X44-Side-Focus-Target-Dot-Riflescope_p_14776.html
View Quote
32X for $250 ?
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 12:52:17 PM EDT
[#42]
OP, eBay has a code today for 15% off "PRIMOSALE". Could help your budget to either save or get more scope
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 1:00:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Done deal. I ordered direct from SWFA. Thanks for everybody's help.
I missed the 4th of July Sale and somehow botched the current free shipping code but oh well, it's only money
Maybe I'll post back with my impressions/range report.

Link Posted: 7/11/2018 2:42:06 PM EDT
[#44]
I really like my SWFA SS 10x fixed.
It lives on my .308 until I can afford a $2000 price range optic.
I have taken it out to 1160 yards with great success.
Shooting 10 shot softball sized groups at 820 yards on steel.
It truly is a great option.
With my other optics that are variable power, the only range I use on those is mostly 10-14x never going lower.
Something to keep in mind until you have high $$ to drop on some super quality glass.
I have the cheaper rear focus model.
Mil/Quad reticle w/ Mil turrets.
RTZ is amazingly accurate.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I really like my SWFA SS 10x fixed.
It lives on my .308 until I can afford a $2000 price range optic.
I have taken it out to 1160 yards with great success.
Shooting 10 shot softball sized groups at 820 yards on steel.
It truly is a great option.
With my other optics that are variable power, the only range I use on those is mostly 10-14x never going lower.
Something to keep in mind until you have high $$ to drop on some super quality glass.
I have the cheaper rear focus model.
Mil/Quad reticle w/ Mil turrets.
RTZ is amazingly accurate.
View Quote
Cool
Funny thing, I got cold feet on the 16X  so I called SWFA  and switched it to a 12X.  I decided that if I was truly looking for a happy medium 16X wasn't it.
They were super cool about it and said they would just go crack open the box and switch it for a 12.  The guy I talked to also gave me some advice to help me make up my mind. I'm loving these guys already .
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 4:05:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Cool
Funny thing, I got cold feet on the 16X  so I called SWFA  and switched it to a 12X.  I decided that if I was truly looking for a happy medium 16X wasn't it.
They were super cool about it and said they would just go crack open the box and switch it for 12.  The guy I talked to also gave me some advice to help me make up my mind. I'm loving these guys already .
View Quote
SWFA is good people. Check out their sister site www.samplelist.com. That's where they sell demo models and selection changes often. I've bought a few "Demo-A" grade (like new in box) scopes from them, usually 20-25% off their normal prices.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 7:24:54 PM EDT
[#47]
SWFA is good people and they make a good product. You will not be disappointed, and it looks like you saved some money that can be spent on ammo

Post up a picture once you get it mounted and go to the range
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 11:43:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It's "old school" with front adjustable objective rather than side focus,... the money went into the optical performance and the turret tracking, which is what matters.
View Quote
I actually prefer AO.  Once in position and in a sling, I find it easier to reach straight forward and twist the objective than to reach over the top and down to get to the knob, then twist.  I find the adjustable objective more natural and the side focus uncomfortable and unnatural.  On the bench, both work.  The point of all that is, don't be afraid of an AO.

I agree that optical quality and tracking are the number one and two most important things in a scope.  Lifetime warranty from a reputable company is way up there, too.

OP, have you considered buying used?  A used Leupold is still covered by the warranty and if it's gently used (most are) you can get a better scope for your budget.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 4:17:26 PM EDT
[#49]
I have got a Helos BTR and a Midas TAC. I would definitely recommend the Midas TAC. With a forgiving Eyebox, great feeling turrets and incredible glass, it is my favorite scope. While I really like my Helos, Athlon nailed it with Midas TAC!
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 7:57:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

OP, have you considered buying used?  A used Leupold is still covered by the warranty and if it's gently used (most are) you can get a better scope for your budget.
View Quote
I did. I scanned the EE, eBay, Armslist, etc...
I found several possibilities but decided not to go with used just to save $50. Didn't want to take the risk of buying a broken turd that had to be returned for a refund or repair.
I figured since I was already way under budget with my selection, I would just get new.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top