AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 8:02:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SWFA is good people and they make a good product. You will not be disappointed, and it looks like you saved some money that can be spent on ammo

Post up a picture once you get it mounted and go to the range
View Quote
Sure thing. If USPS does their job I'll have it Saturday and if my weekend goes right, I'll try to get to the range.

Out of my seemingly bad habit of overlooking the total obvious- I failed to notice that the scope I purchased is offered with MOA graduations as well. (I ordered MIL)
It's no big deal, I guess. I need to learn the MIL system better so this will force me to....
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 11:31:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I just got a Primary Arms 5x prism scope with the ACSS Reticle.

Have not used it yet but it's very ACOG'ish and built like a bridge.

It's going to live on my AR10.

I like it so far.

$289 bucks so it's in your budget.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 7:34:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This recommendation has me a bit intrigued. I've never considered a fixed power scope for whatever reason.
But now that I think about it more- I don't remember I the last time I backed off the magnification on a scope of mine. I always shoot on the highest power- maybe it's my bad eyes or personal preference- I don't know.
I see that SWFA has a fixed 16X and 20X as well.

This helped me: Rex Reviews SWFA Info/History
This, too: Rex Reviews SWFA Podcast

Any yahoo can make a youtube video and prop up a product, but this guy seems legit. The SWFA SS series scopes have an interesting history and this might just be one of the instances where you get more for your money.

I could pick up this one with the Butler Creek Caps and sunshade option and I'd be @$150 under budget: SWFA SS 16 X 42

So why would I regret buying a fixed power scope for my purposes?

ETA: I've been reading some reviews and various forum comments- the general opinion is that some optical quality is lost with the 16X and 20X scopes.
This would make sense, considering the price bracket these scopes fall into. I hate returning/selling stuff. Considering my background (always had low-buck scopes, NOT an experienced long range shooter, etc....), will I really notice the difference in quality between let's say a 16X and a 12X ?
View Quote
Get the SS 10x. You won't need anything for else for the distances your talking about. I take a SS 10x to 1000yds regularly. The higher power SS models are not as friendly as the 10x. You wont find a better scope under $1000.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 8:03:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Get the SS 10x. You won't need anything for else for the distances your talking about. I take a SS 10x to 1000yds regularly. The higher power SS models are not as friendly as the 10x. You wont find a better scope under $1000.
View Quote
I've got the 10x on a .308 in a 0moa mount. Is a 20moa mount necessay to get out to 1k? Just curious.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 11:23:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've got the 10x on a .308 in a 0moa mount. Is a 20moa mount necessay to get out to 1k? Just curious.
View Quote
Well, in theory yes. With a 175gr like FGGM the drop at 1k would be somewhere around 40moa with a 100yd zero. The SS 10x has 100moa of total elevation
so provided your zero is close to mechanical zero of the scope you would have 50moa of elevation available. My SS has 97.2moa total elevation as verified by me (and I trust me), so........

That said I have a 20moa base.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 6:54:02 PM EDT
[#6]
The scope arrived today. I mounted it but I'm not going to make it to the range this weekend
'Took it outside and did some viewing at some objects at various distances.
This scope blows me away. The clarity and brightness is awesome. The reticle is fine but very sharp. It is present but it does not "cover up" the target like my thicker mil-dot reticle did. I probably would have been fine with the 10X but the 12X does not appear to be overkill in any way. It's just as good or better than $500 scopes I've looked through (and it has a history and reputation to back it up.)
The real test will be at the range!
Thanks to everybody who recommended this scope. SWFA WINS
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 9:51:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Glad you like it op!
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 9:13:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Went to my "back-up" range early this morning.

The sight in was a breeze. Windage was almost spot on with only minor adjustments, had to crank the elevation a bit. I like the turrets a lot. Very positive and tactile. Easy to zero out with the three little set screws. Shot a nice little 1 3/4" group at 100 yards with MK 262 Mod 1 ammo. Tried some 69 grain and the group opened up a bit.

I did a simplistic tracking test (with the elevation turret only). I know I'm not zeroed perfectly and some of the variance is probably my fault (I always blame the shooter and not the equipment, especially when I'm the shooter ) Below is 6 consecutive shots- the first shot on the bottom dot, then dialing one mil at a time up to 4 mils and for the last shot I cranked it all the way back to zero.
Overall I'm very pleased with my purchase. The clarity is amazing and this scope is really friendly to get behind. I love the thin reticle.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top