Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/2/2019 5:33:13 PM EDT
Let’s say you want to free up room for more stuff by putting ammo in mags. How would you do it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 5:38:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Just load them...
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 6:18:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Poll fail. Can’t select multiple choices.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 6:26:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn, tough crowd
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 6:44:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you live in an apartment or one of those tiny houses? Unless you have 80k rounds and a full case of PMAGs, I don't see how you save significant space.

So no, I don't load mags to save space.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 6:57:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Load them like you were going to shoot them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 8:26:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't keep mags loaded because I don't want to keep constant pressure on the springs.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 8:51:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't keep mags loaded because I don't want to keep constant pressure on the springs.
View Quote
You don't understand the science with springs do you?
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:09:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I used to load them up to 30.  The last few years I just started putting 28 in them.  I don't use the caps on the Pmags and figured it would be less strain that way.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Edited to not seem rude.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:47:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Not too bright are you...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not too bright are you...
Cycling the springs wears them out. Not keeping mags loaded.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:50:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I used to load them up to 30.  The last few years I just started putting 28 in them.  I don't use the caps on the Pmags and figured it would be less strain that way.
View Quote
I've read that the covers on the PMags are used for Air dropping mags. They aren't needed for storage and offer no benefit.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:54:10 AM EDT
[#12]
All my mags are loaded to capacity. I never under load them. Been sitting for years and no issues with feed lips. No issues loading a fully 30 round loaded mag on a closed bolt either. Use muscle.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 2:09:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I always load them with 29 rounds because reasons.

It’s just how I’ve always done it and why change.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 2:28:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Do you live in an apartment or one of those tiny houses? Unless you have 80k rounds and a full case of PMAGs, I don't see how you save significant space.

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 9:35:14 AM EDT
[#15]
PMags and USGI have 28 rounds loaded and in various ammo cans with deccisant for storage. Not necessarily for long term storage as I will shoot whatever mags are loaded periodically.

Glock mags are loaded to capacity.

I don’t seem to have any 20 rd mags loaded at the moment.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 10:03:53 AM EDT
[#16]
I keep .50 cans filled with loaded GI mags. I don’t even worry about what brand or followers... Whatever brand PSA sells cheap. You can fit 18 USGI mags in a .50 can so every now and then I jump on a pair of PSA’s 10 mag packs bundled with a 500 round box of ammo then I go over to Tractor Supply and get a .50 can to put them in. There’s a pair of leftover mags I can rotate into the range use pile.

I also keep a few .50 cans filled with 20 round 308 Pmags. My long-term loaded .308 Pmags no longer drop free from my Aero M5. They still function good, but I’m just sayin... my new and old range-use 308 Pmags drop free just fine. I’d love to swap out the stash of 308 Pmag with some DPMS metal mags, but metal 308 mags are expensive.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:04:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Its the loading and unloading that loosens the spring.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Especially in cold weather I keep mags loaded. Living in Wisconsin it's easier than loading with cold hands at the range. When I load them I only put 20 rounds in each 30 round mag because the ammo comes 20 rounds per box so I know each loaded mag equals a box of ammo. I know lots of people won't agree with my logic but it works for me I do it for both AR and AK mags.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Currently my shit gone bad ammo is in (3) .50 cal cans with stripper clips and (3) loaded mags in each.
Each rifle has a fully loaded mag inserted.

Rest of my mags are stored empty in their packaging in the ammo safe separate from the ammo that are in cans either on stripper clips or in their factory boxes.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 1:09:37 AM EDT
[#20]
All mags loaded to 28 rounds.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 7:06:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Okay industries with KAC followers.
Or Lancer L5AWM.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 7:07:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 7:11:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've read that the covers on the PMags are used for Air dropping mags. They aren't needed for storage and offer no benefit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Um, no. Magpul stated when they came out with PMAGS, it was to keep pressure off the feed lips.
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 9:55:58 AM EDT
[#24]
I load my storage mags to capacity be it 28, 29, or 30.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 11:40:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Um, no. Magpul stated when they came out with PMAGS, it was to keep pressure off the feed lips.
View Quote
I use my caps on my gen 2 windowed PMAGS. Way back when I bought them, the cap was touted as primarily to keep pressure off the feed lips and secondary as a dust cap. Personally I thought it was the coolest feature of the PMAG.

But I DO remember seeing in the Industry Forum years later that someone from Magpul said that cap was "not for the feed lips, just a dust cap." if that's the case, why does it push the rounds down?

Do the new gen 3s use the old 'snap cap'? I know my D60 drum came with a rubber boot and not a snap cap.

Regardless, when I load a PMAG long term, I use the snap cap. It's obvious it takes pressure off the feed lips. Whether magpul says it's a good idea or not, I say it's a god idea.
And if it is just a dust cap, well then my rounds won't get dusty.

I prefer downloaded steel bodied E-landers for long term storage,
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 6:49:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I use my caps on my gen 2 windowed PMAGS. Way back when I bought them, the cap was touted as primarily to keep pressure off the feed lips and secondary as a dust cap. Personally I thought it was the coolest feature of the PMAG.

But I DO remember seeing in the Industry Forum years later that someone from Magpul said that cap was "not for the feed lips, just a dust cap." if that's the case, why does it push the rounds down?

Do the new gen 3s use the old 'snap cap'? I know my D60 drum came with a rubber boot and not a snap cap.

Regardless, when I load a PMAG long term, I use the snap cap. It's obvious it takes pressure off the feed lips. Whether magpul says it's a good idea or not, I say it's a god idea.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When Magpull introduced the 1st gen Pmags, they stated the cover was too keep pressure off the feedlips.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 12:50:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Luke, I am your father.

I have stripper clips and spoons to choke a horse and the cloth carriers and cardboard holders up the wazoo. I think I only have a couple handgun magazines loaded and only one rifle magazine loaded as we speak.

The majority of my magazines are brand new, still in the factory wrapper.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 2:09:43 PM EDT
[#28]
If you have 100 30rd mags and 3 cases of ammo you can fit that 3 cases of ammo into the 100 mags.  Yes it saves space.  Yes it saves time if you want to go to the range.  If my p mags have a cover, they keep their cover.  If they have no cover, they get no cover.  Aluminum mags have no cover so they get no cover.

I will admit, I have a couple of the 60rd drums around here someplace that are not loaded.

I have 10, 20, and 30 rd mags and a few of the 60rd drums.

It is not all about saving space.  It is partly to have a lot of mags loaded already so if I wish to go shooting I don't even think about it, I got loaded mags and can go right now.

At the same time, I find it nice to throw out the cardboard box and what not from loading all that ammo into mags.

I have ammo cans as well, I concur fitting mags into ammo cans is a bit amusing at times.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 2:33:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Going to pick up a mag lula at the gun show this weekend. Along with a couple more ammo can’s.
I’ll load half my pangs and half my new GI mags.
I’ll probably end up buying more mags
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:11:25 AM EDT
[#30]
The way I see it is it doesn’t hurt to use the dust covers on the Pmags so I use them. I keep some Gen 3 Pmags with covers, 30 round USGI, and Lancer all loaded to full capacity. Never had feed lips spread, all drop free, all load on a closed bolt in all my rifles.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Funny how people worry about the spring.

But I bet not one person sticks their car/truck on Jack stands every night.

Iv got a couple 9mm mags that have been loaded 30 years.
Zero issue.

Think about it....
If you pulled the spring straight and measured it.
And then cut a normal wire, even if it was aluminum wire, the same length (and diameter)
Lay it on a table and hold one end down, and raise the other end aprox 4"
Does it bend?

It's the same thing only backwards and real  spring steel.

Your only pushing down 1 end MAYBE 4"
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 11:18:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Think I posted above a tube fed mossberg 590 has the spring weaken on me.

So if someone had that happen they might consider it could happen to other stuff as well.

And some folks were just taught a certain way and have never questioned it.

I don't mind leaving stuff loaded cause I read a monster thread a couple decades ago about magazine springs, it used some of the WWII 1911 mags that were loaded and sold as surplus as examples.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 1:04:46 PM EDT
[#33]
so whats the longest you’ve left a pmag loaded to 30 rounds without the cover on it?

i recall the gen1’s would have feed lip failures.

i’ve been leaving my gen3’s loaded to 20 for the past 9 months with no issues. they are a designated batch of range mags that get used a couple times a month.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 6:57:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
I do.....

And yes having boxes with loaded mags stacked is better then having boxes of mags & boxes of ammo in piles.
Half my stuff is loaded in mags. Some are pmags capped some are GI. They are in rubber storage bins.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 7:43:49 PM EDT
[#35]
On stripper clips, because I like strippers.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 8:38:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Luckily, that isn't how it works.

OP, I usually have 40-50 fully loaded for the range at any one time.  I despise loading mags at the range.

I have 20 more loaded with TAP, and have been for years, that I keep in the house for HD
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

When Magpull introduced the 1st gen Pmags, they stated the cover was too keep pressure off the feedlips.
View Quote
this.  because it was new and they did not know if time and pressure would warp them.  Years laters they changed their attitude because had proven the feedlips did not need the support.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 5:48:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Load any and all of them, throw them in a can, pull out whenever and fire.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 6:35:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Well stripper clips are out of the question then OP if you want to create space by loading ammo into magazines so......................28 rounds in USGI D&H type magazines to include C products, and I also load 28 in my Okay/Surefeed magazines out of habit.  Just saw on the range a couple days ago once again someone putting 30 rounds in a USGI type(not a Okay/Surefeed) magazine and couldn't get it to lock in the magazine well with the BCG forward.  I watched him struggle and tap it a few times before he looked a me and told me he had a problem and it was the rifle according to him. He told me this  because I was the ring master of the circus on this day .

I smiled and said YUP, took the rifle and magazine from him, pressed the rounds with my finger to gauge to what extent it was loaded which by feel I knew was 30, inserted the magazine into the rifle sharply with the BCG still in the forward position and rifle on safe as he gave it to me, slapped her on the bottom (the magazine) pretty good because she likes it that way and it seated just fine however, that first round when he used the charging handle to sling shot the round in needed a kick in the ass via the forward assist to fully seat the BCG.  Tinker Bell taps on fully loaded USGI type mags don't work usually.  I have seen this on numerous occasions using aluminum magazines that don't wear the Okay/Surefeed/Colt/NHMTG tag.

Pmags can be loaded to 30 and seat fine IME. For the record OP I prefer USGI type magazines (specifically Okay/Surefeed USGI dry film lubed with magpul followers for social and serious usage) but prefer most of my rounds loaded on stripper clips, in ammo cans with desicant packs and spoons sealed up waiting for use.  I keep (2) magazines loaded for my rifle at home and both are D&H/Labelle with magpul followers loaded to 28 rounds each. I do have a few more loaded mags for the pistols I have fast access to and all of these are just for HD.  I hope this helps OP. I have NO connection to any of the above aforementioned companies I merely use some of their kit.  Edited to add content.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 9:10:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Just load them...
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Load to capacity. If it's a 30 round mag load 30.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 2:11:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Load to capacity. If it's a 30 round mag load 30.
View Quote
Ever had a 30 round mag loaded with 30 fail to seat on a closed bolt? Yea it happens sometimes.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:05:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You don't need the dust covers on PMAGs, but It just keeps crap out and provides some extra insurance if you chuck an ammo can of loaded mags out of a moving vehicle or something. There's a stack of every PMAG generation made that is kept loaded and feed lips get measured once a year or so, mag is shot, feed lips are measured empty, mag is reloaded and put back into temp cycled storage. No covers. US Gov confirmed as well before adoption. Don't need the dust covers for long term storage. But, they don't hurt, either.
View Quote
Has there ever been any type of measurable change (obviously not enough to effect function) through all the measurements you've done to the loaded mags over the years?  Even minute ones?  What temperature are they stored at?

Isn't there some formula that measures the breakdown of polymer over time?  Almost like a half life as polymers get more brittle with age (old car upholstery, etc)?
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:09:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Ever had a 30 round mag loaded with 30 fail to seat on a closed bolt? Yea it happens sometimes.
View Quote
Never happened to me and I've been shooting ARs since 1981. It's operator error.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 6:03:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
so whats the longest you’ve left a pmag loaded to 30 rounds without the cover on it?

i recall the gen1’s would have feed lip failures.

i’ve been leaving my gen3’s loaded to 20 for the past 9 months with no issues. they are a designated batch of range mags that get used a couple times a month.
View Quote
Im over 2yrs with mine,  i didn't know there were problems with the prev.

Also,  i store in cans on strips cause it's the easiest way to load a mag.  I mean ive got plinking rds in a few boxes but for the most part they're in a can.

My high accuracy hand loads get mtm boxes.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 10:12:48 PM EDT
[#48]
I always load mags with 28 rounds.

It's a personal preference.

I can seat a 30 rounder on a closed bolt no problem.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 12:07:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 12:18:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Funny how people worry about the spring.

But I bet not one person sticks their car/truck on Jack stands every night.
View Quote
Used to always put the Ducati on paddock stands, but you are right, never a car/truck.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top