Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2018 8:45:41 PM EDT
I recently picked up some Winchester white box 5.56 and noticed they have some unusual looking crimps. Some look fine, some look like the pics below, and some rounds are fine on one side of the round, but then look like the pics below on the other side of the round. Basically half a normal crimp and half not on the same round. All from the same lot and '18 headstamped.

Can anyone offer any information on what's up with these? I'm not a reloader or an ammo expert, so any valuable information will be helpful. Should I contact Winchester, is it safe to shoot, is it not safe, etc?

The three pics below are of two random rounds pulled from three separate random boxes of 20. As I mentioned, some are worse than others, but they all pretty much look like this.

Link Posted: 10/14/2018 8:58:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:01:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fuckey, haven't seen that yet.
View Quote
Yeah, pretty weird looking shit.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:07:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Fuckey, haven't seen that yet.

Eta: LINK to a discussion on Winchester 5.56 Oct '12, same issue.

Another HERE
View Quote
Thanks, Tig.

Looks like this type of crimp is called a segmented crimp? Someone in one if the above linked threads mentioned it's normal, but I've never seen it before in the 10's of thousands of 5.56 rounds I've run through. Then again, I don't have much experience with Winchester 5.56, and that's what those threads were referencing, and what I have.

The most unusual part about it is the obvious lip that protrudes up and outward at the top of the case neck/crimp. It's certainly exaggerated on some over others, but it seems it could cause issues with relaible feeding and/or chambering. Also, why the difference in the crimp from round to round in a large sample of ammo all from the same lot?
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:16:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:19:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:19:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Agreed on the crimp flaring, I cant see how it won't be a cycling issue.  I haven't shot WWB since ~2007 or so, never saw that type of "segmented" crimp on Winchester or any other 5.56/.223.

Hopfully it's not a shit show for you. Definitely run it through the paces to see how it runs.

(I learned a little something today).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, Tig.

Looks like this type of crimp is called a segmented crimp? Someone in one if the above linked threads mentioned it's normal, but I've never seen it before in the 10's of thousands of 5.56 rounds I've run through. Then again, I don't have much experience with Winchester 5.56, and that's what those threads were referencing, and what I have.

The most unusual part about it is the obvious lip that protrudes up and outward at the top of the case neck/crimp. Seems it would cause issues with relaible feeding and/or chambering.
Agreed on the crimp flaring, I cant see how it won't be a cycling issue.  I haven't shot WWB since ~2007 or so, never saw that type of "segmented" crimp on Winchester or any other 5.56/.223.

Hopfully it's not a shit show for you. Definitely run it through the paces to see how it runs.

(I learned a little something today).
I'm no expert, but I can't come up with a reason why it wouldn't be safe to use as long as it doesn't require force to chamber. I'll load up a few mags and see how it does tomorrow at lunch.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:21:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Only thing I can think of is bad QC and a crimping die that is out of calibration?  I know very little of reloading.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also, why the difference in the crimp from round to round in a large sample of ammo all from the same lot?
Only thing I can think of is bad QC and a crimping die that is out of calibration?  I know very little of reloading.
x2

Maybe this is some kind of factory seconds or rejects. Definitely looks like a reject loaded it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:22:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:23:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have to agree.

Interested in an update after you run a few mags??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely looks like a reject loaded it.
I have to agree.

Interested in an update after you run a few mags??
Will update tomorrow evening. Thanks, again, for the links.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:28:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:36:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Too easy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will update tomorrow evening. Thanks, again, for the links.
Too easy.
Obviously, I didn't search before posting.

It's crazy how many threads I've found on shitty Winchester crimps. Here's another from just recently with pics that closely resemble mine, just not as bad.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Winchester-Q3131-Really-bad-quality-yesterday-Lot-HA03-2972/16-728557/

Oh, well. I'll be back in here tomorrow night...
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:41:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 10:22:24 PM EDT
[#13]
That extreme a crimp may affect accuracy but I doubt it will inhibit function.  Good close range blaster ammo anyway.

Mag dump time!
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 12:19:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That extreme a crimp may affect accuracy but I doubt it will inhibit function.  Good close range blaster ammo anyway.

Mag dump time!
View Quote
We'll see. I'll be testing a few mags worth here shortly.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 2:25:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

We'll see. I'll be testing a few mags worth here shortly.
View Quote
Interested to see your findings.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 3:39:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Sloppy but I wouldn't fret too much over it.  It's not enough shape change to affect cycle or function or pressure in any 5.56 chambered gun.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 3:53:33 PM EDT
[#17]
That is some poor QC, and looks like the cases are not trimmed to a uniform length.

The "Segmented Crimp" is used by almost all major manufacturers and is the same crimp as a Lee Factory Crimp Die uses.

Those rounds definitely need to be more uniform in case length, and or bullet seating depth, and crimp strength.

That is terrible even for Q Series blasting ammo!
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 4:01:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Typical crimp, just exaggerated looking because they went a little too heavy on it. Probably within QC for commercial sales. I've seen this most often with Winchester and it really is not an issue for general range use ammunition. My reloads look similar, just not as aggressive and more uniform.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That is some poor QC, and looks like the cases are not trimmed to a uniform length.

The "Segmented Crimp" is used by almost all major manufacturers and is the same crimp as a Lee Factory Crimp Die uses.

Those rounds definitely need to be more uniform in case length, and or bullet seating depth, and crimp strength.

That is terrible even for Q Series blasting ammo!
View Quote
So most factory 5.56 ammo uses this type of "segmented" crimp? I'm assuming that when done correctly it creates an even crimp that appears round and without the segments being visible? Also, the case lengths all seem to vary a bit, as well as the depth the rounds were seated to, as you mentioned. Pretty shoddy if you ask me.

The pic below is of three random rounds of IMI M193 pulled from a case I have open. This is what I'm used to seeing when looking at factory 5.56 ammo, granted, I never really examine it that closely. It just so happened that the crimp pics posted in my OP jumped out at me immediately.

Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:15:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Also, as mentioned by someone above, the ammo ran just fine. Didn't have time to perform any accuracy tests, just a quick function test. Ran three fully loaded 30 round mags through an SR-15 and had no issues with feeding or chambering.

I appreciate all the info from the guys who chimed in. From now on, I think I'll stay away from Q3131, or maybe Winchester 5.56 in general. Although it ran fine, I'd prefer it to be as it should be instead of being all fucked up looking.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:26:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:18:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Is this the stuff that is made in Mississippi?
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes almost all Factory crimped ammo uses the segmented crimp.

It is more forgiving of variation in the case length.

But when the case length is way out of spec it causes the variation you are seeing.

Those IMI rounds that you have will have the same segmented crimp they are just not as exaggerated.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:09:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 11:36:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Yes! The above photo exactly illustrates the difference in proper vs. over crimping.  The crimp on the right is still a segmented crimp, but is no so excessive that you can see the segments without close examination.

Agreed the crimp on the left is excessive. The bullet is deformed and the collet marks from the crimp are clearly visible.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 8:51:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Win 3131 is crap and has been for a while. Is it still made in S Korea?

Shoot some groups once, if it's 4-6" that's pretty much the norm.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 12:53:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 7:43:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yes almost all Factory crimped ammo uses the segmented crimp.

It is more forgiving of variation in the case length.

But when the case length is way out of spec it causes the variation you are seeing.

Those IMI rounds that you have will have the same segmented crimp they are just not as exaggerated.
View Quote
Thanks for the info.

Quoted:
While Winc. uses a crimp ( as well as others IMI )  like that .... those are WAY, WAY over crimped.

As mentioned... poor QC.

Pull a bullet or 2... I guarantee the bullet will be "Coke" bottle shaped from the excess crimp.

And not the first time Winc. ( or for that matter any American manufacturer has done this. )

From the internet... Winc. FBI load on the left.

And you can just see the "Coke" bottle effect on the left bullet at the crimp.

As for keeping away from Winc. .... try some MEN FMJ ( SGAmmo, Primary Arms ) .... great precision in my AR's, considering it is FMJ, much better then typical FMJ Ball ammo.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/171545/w0s10j-707017.jpg
View Quote
I didn't pull any, but I did get a chance to use the rest of this stuff up over the weekend. The exaggerated crimp didn't impede function, but it was certainly inaccurate compared to the IMI I've gotten used to recently.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top