Posted: 8/2/2008 3:50:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov]
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 11:43:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 7:05:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's my group with this ammo at 50 yards with a 16 inch 1/9 RRA and  Aimpoint ML3. This is the first time I've used this optic and this is after I got it sighted in. Pretty good stuff if you ask me.

Link Posted: 10/15/2008 11:15:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kevinb120] [#4]
Just going to add this from one of a few posts I have responded too about it even with redundant referrals to this very thread.

Its in the reviews section, I think it cronos roughly 400 fps lower then full XM193. Cycles the gun with roughly the same force as XM193 so it doesn't feel nearly as flat as the wolf-type ammo. None of this failure to hold the bolt open on last shot crap, even with a brand new gun. Has a touch of ammonia smell, but not smokey or anything. It costs the EXACT same with 500 or 1k ordered(.34/round), but you do get the .30 ammo case with the 500 orders

The newest batches are not fully polished in the original review and have the 'annealing' marks(the 'dirty' band at the neck in the AIM photos), but for kicks I just touched a round with metal polish and it looked like shiny new brass. Just skipped a final polish step to keep the costs down(I sure as hell didn't clean the rounds I fired, just one).

Check the reviews, its at the top with full chrono results. Very consistent. Roughly 2700's with a 16" 1/9 in the review all within 40 fps. Been through about 600 rounds so far not one issue(Stag Model 1, no mods to any part of the firing mechanics)-including the first 200 through the gun from new, every kind of mag Cprod/D&H/PMAG/Lancer/USGI. I did the same thing with individual then 3/5 round loads to initial function test the rifle and mags itself when new. Not one issue. Feels, shoots, and cleans like you are using 'real' ammo, not discount stuff.

Gonna stick with this for just about all range duty, probably buy 500 every time I shoot 250.  Was mixing it up with PRVI XM193, but now I'm just buying battle packs here and there and shooting the Cent, as there's no point for 50 yards or less at the range to shoot it.

ETA: shipping has been cheaper by more then a few bucks then the ammo price thread, after calculating shipping from any other sites, it IS the least expensive brass ammo, lower then anybody's PMC or Federal. Definitely worth the extra ~$2.35 per mag over dealing with steel cased dirty ammo. I'll go to Duncan donuts instead of Starbucks if it means not having to shoot steel case in an AR(could care less if it were brass in an AK tho).

Personally, even the extra boxes that comes with ammo that end up in a pile of waste gets on my nerves, I like the ammo can with a big 'ol bag of rounds makes a better wrapper. Open can, stuff magazines.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 5:35:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I just broke in my new Colt LE 6920 with an ammo can of this stuff from AIM .

I was expecting something to happen in a brand new rifle ,but it was
absolutely flawless .
Not a hiccup of any kind .

At 100 yards I averaged 2 to 3 inch 5 shot groups using iron sights
and this ammo with a just sighted in carbine .

I got quite a few groups under 2 inches.

I have poor vision,so for me without an optic that's pretty good .

I'll be buying more if/when I can .
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:45:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#6]
<Ammo reviews only in this thread please - Z>
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 4:13:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Based on the positive reviews I've seen, I ordered four 500 round ammo cans of the Centurion ammo this past Monday.  Three days later, it was sitting in my living room.  I wasn't expecting it yet, either.  I gotta give full credit for prompt service to the folks at AIM.  The ammo is really good looking stuff, and the price is right.  I haven't had a chance to shoot any yet, but hope to this weekend.

All reports are that this ammo is a little low on velocity, which doesn't bother me one bit, considering the reports of its good accuracy.  I'm curious about the report above about the ammo not feeling "flat", I interpret that as meaning it feels like full power/velocity loads?  I wonder if maybe this ammo uses a fast burning powder, generating chamber pressure, but not necessarily velocity?

Dennis
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 12:59:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 10/21/2008 3:20:50 PM EDT
[#9]
height=8
Originally Posted By kevinb120:
Just going to add this from one of a few posts I have responded too about it even with redundant referrals to this very thread.

Has a touch of ammonia smell, but not smokey or anything.

The ammo shot well for me from a RRA 20" A2. Better accuracy than I expected. I noticed the ammonia smell, too. Is the smell indicative of anything?
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 8:27:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kevinb120] [#10]
Typically is associated with the cheaper Russian ammo's powder (wolf/barnul-although they smell like outright cat piss sometimes...), but its not dirty and still fairly hot, so I doubt it means anything.  Just the type of powder used or could even be in the primer. Never caused any problems for me though.
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 8:45:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 9:10:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#12]
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 5:24:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#13]
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 3:48:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#14]
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#15]
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f249/KYDoc/1022081314.jpg

I liked it.  This pic is at 50 yards with a JP 20" 1:8 barrel.  The other smaller dots are #2 12 gauge pellets.

I'm a mediocre shooter with a nice rifle so I figure if the ammo can make me look good at 50 yards for 20 rounds, it can probably do wonders with someone who took their time.

I have an adjustable gas block, and I was able to turn it down pretty far from the XM855PD I had it set for previously.  I set the gas to JUST lock back, and 20 subsequent rounds all functioned perfectly.  So I figure, pretty consistent, which goes along with the above chrono results.

Overall, very nice, accurate, consisent, no problems.
Link Posted: 10/23/2008 12:07:55 AM EDT
[#16]
bought 500 round that came with the ammo can for AIM.  I have to say that this ammo is fairly accurate and makes a great plinking ammo.   Have another 500 can on the way from AIM.
Link Posted: 10/29/2008 9:39:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kevinb120] [#17]
I have a question for the reloading types here.  I'm starting to get a little stockpile of this stuff.  I currently don't reload but may get into it as a hobby in the near future.  Should I be saving this brass?  I'd be happy if I could reload it back to its initial spec(hot .223-not trying to turn it into XM193) in the future.  I've left the range a few times after shooting ~300 rounds or so of it and keep thinking I just threw away what could be fairly decent brass.  

I just ordered the 'steel case' experiment to save some bucks but would just buy this from now on if in the future I could reload 2000 rounds of it later-it could be quite a bit cheaper then bloc ammo in the long run.
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 3:59:52 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a question for the reloading types here.  I'm starting to get a little stockpile of this stuff.  I currently don't reload but may get into it as a hobby in the near future.  Should I be saving this brass?

Yes, no reason I know of not to save it.  I'm saving mine, and I plan on reloading it.  Pretty much save brass whenever you can, you will eventually use it, and it is a sizable portion of the cost of reloading, if you have to buy new brass or even once-fired.

As far as a review, I have shot 2K rounds of the stuff, about 1500 through my 16" 1-in-7 twist AR, and 500 through my 20" 1-in-9 A3.

Can't speak that much about accuracy as it was all shot in training, although I shot the 20" AR at an Appleseed and made rifleman with it, if that is any indication (albeit at 25 yard reduced targets).

The only problem I've had with this ammo is about 5 rounds out of one lot had the primers in backwards with the anvil facing outboard.  Not that big of a deal, it happens.  Somebody who wanted to rely on this ammo for SD though obviously would be advised (as with any ammo for SD) to inspect each round while loading into mags.
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 11:30:43 AM EDT
[#19]
I burned through roughly a thousand rounds of this stuff during a carbine class... no problems through a 6920.

I've since purchased more.
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 12:19:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: callgood] [#20]
I have a question for the reloading types here.  I'm starting to get a little stockpile of this stuff.  I currently don't reload but may get into it as a hobby in the near future.  Should I be saving this brass? ...........................

You might try asking this over in the reloading forum. See if anyone has used this brass to reload.

As for leaving brass on the ground................ [>:/]
I pick it all up. I had 1400 pieces of .40S&W when I got a S&W Model 610. Sooner or later I'll get a .40cal conversion barrel for my Glock20.

I sent a bunch of .380ACP brass I picked up to a site member for the postage.

When I first took my wife shooting she was perplexed why I spent the first 30 minutes "cleaning up other people's mess!" Then I explained the economics of it.

Better to have it and not need it...................

Link Posted: 11/1/2008 1:04:26 AM EDT
[#21]
For those saving the brass for reloading, does it have crimped primers?
Link Posted: 11/1/2008 9:19:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By bloodroot:
For those saving the brass for reloading, does it have crimped primers?

I don't recall mine being crimped.

See also:

Originally Posted by FALARAK:
Upon external inspection, the ammunition looks very similar to most commercial 55gr .223. It was clean and highly polished, with no signs of annealing visible. A silver primer was used. The cases in this lot were new Winchester commercial. The primers were not crimped. The cartridges have been roll crimped into the cannelure.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=217&t=158383
Link Posted: 11/2/2008 6:13:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#23]

Link Posted: 11/2/2008 6:13:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#24]

Link Posted: 11/2/2008 6:28:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#25]

Link Posted: 11/2/2008 10:18:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Just broke-in new S&W M&P15A with 14 new mags.  360 rounds; 0 malfunctions.
Link Posted: 11/2/2008 10:55:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: --bullseye--] [#27]
Originally Posted By mugenmanxr:
you should put a see poll results option for those of use that have not had a experience with tha ammo.

Don't select anything and click "Vote".

One more secret of arfcom revealed.
Link Posted: 11/8/2008 4:31:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#28]

Link Posted: 11/11/2008 12:08:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#29]

Link Posted: 11/11/2008 1:39:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#30]

Link Posted: 11/11/2008 3:23:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#31]

Link Posted: 11/12/2008 12:15:38 PM EDT
[#32]
I've shot about 250 rounds of this ammo, with one dud (primer firmly dented, no bang though.)  Also, one round had a dinged neck (pushed back and bulged out below the crimp).  Glad I spotted that one before I tried to use it.

I've had no other problems.  The primer is not crimped.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 9:53:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Already got 3000 rnds and another 1000 ordered  and what I have either shot or looked at has been anywere from 05' - 08'....good stuff tho, especially for the money!

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Bought 500 rounds in the bag at a gun show. 2 rounds had the neck deformed and torn. 3 rounds were improperly seated bullets, so the rounds were asymmetrical. You could tell the quality inferior to real M193 produced by LC. Additionally, many of the bullets were seated just too deep, but perfectly functional.

My opinion is OK for target, would not want to use in combat unless alternatives were worse.
Link Posted: 11/29/2008 2:32:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By HenryKnoxFineBooks:
Bought 500 rounds in the bag at a gun show. 2 rounds had the neck deformed and torn. 3 rounds were improperly seated bullets, so the rounds were asymmetrical. You could tell the quality inferior to real M193 produced by LC. Additionally, many of the bullets were seated just too deep, but perfectly functional.

My opinion is OK for target, would not want to use in combat unless alternatives were worse.

That's interesting.  I picked up 500 rounds from AIM direct with the ammo can deal and all mine so far have been perfect.  Nice brass for reloading, no function problems.  Little weaker than real M193, but great for plinking and practice if you need to go brass.
Link Posted: 11/30/2008 11:08:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By compuvette:
Originally Posted By HenryKnoxFineBooks:

That's interesting.  I picked up 500 rounds from AIM direct with the ammo can deal and all mine so far have been perfect.  Nice brass for reloading, no function problems.  Little weaker than real M193, but great for plinking and practice if you need to go brass.

I've looked at open boxes at a couple of gun shows, and can see the same in terms of bullets seated just a tad too deep, so it was not a one time thing. Does not affect function, I just consider it an indication of their quality control - clearly not as consistent as the stuff I saw in the Army. I'm just saying that it clearly is not mil-spec M193. I'd say 50% to 60% looked good, another 40% minor flaw (bullet seating or case ding) and maybe 1% should have been caught by any sort of QA process and tossed.
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 5:37:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#37]
BUMP - as I just ordered 1000rds from ATG 55gr Centruion.  Hope this bump is ok Zukov.

<There is no need to bump these reviews, as they aren't going to be archived, and they're always going to be linked in the ammo review. - Z>

Link Posted: 1/9/2009 10:50:49 PM EDT
[#38]
I have been thru my first batch of 1000,plinking and so forth and did not have a single problem thru my 16" Colt carbine.When the next batch shows up I'll put it thru my 20" Colt A2 and report the results.
Cheap,clean and reliable "blasting"ammo,which is OK by me!
Link Posted: 1/9/2009 10:59:03 PM EDT
[#39]
I went shooting with a friend, we used Centurion loose in an ammo can.

I shot about 30 rounds of it, no failures. He shot a lot more, and I did not see him have any failures and he didn't mention any.
Link Posted: 1/10/2009 7:02:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Have the loose packed  in the cans from AIM. I have shot a little bit of it in various AR's and it's been 100% reliable. I have also inspected the ammo in the loose bags and I have found NOTHING wrong. No Dings or set backs or high primers.  . Like I always do regardless of who made it and what brand it is, I inspect the ammo as I'm placing it on strippers and or loading mags ...  ... Seems like decent ammo.... WarDawg
Link Posted: 2/13/2009 11:16:45 AM EDT
[#41]
I've fired about 400 rounds of the 1000 thousand I purchased and have not had any issues.  I tend to inspect my ammo before loading it and so far I have found 6 rounds that were either dented or the bullet was canted to one side.
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 4:37:22 PM EDT
[#42]
i purchased 1000 rounds of centurion from atg and would not buy again.out of the first few clips i noticed seating depth was all over the place some would not even fit into the mag (cproducts stainless).then the wife was shooting and bang bang bang nothing. i took the weapon and tried to pull the charge handle with no luck. dropped the mag seperated the lowers took a screwdriver to gently pry back the bolt and i found a live round with a case neck that was badly bent. i then hand picked each round for the rest of the day which worked great. however i ended up throwing away approx 50 rounds that day that had bent case necks,improper seating depth that was way off or case necks that were doubled over. one of the bullets i was able to easily hand pull out of the case. i have approx 400 rounds left and after sorting them i found another 20 rounds that are toast. buyer beware the QA process from centurion is less than acceptable go with prvi or federal.
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 8:39:04 PM EDT
[#43]
I am very pleased with it so far. Shot ~400 of 1K so far.
Wish I'd bought more pre-election.
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 8:55:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By y2kcavy:
i purchased 1000 rounds of centurion from atg and would not buy again.out of the first few clips i noticed seating depth was all over the place some would not even fit into the mag (cproducts stainless).then the wife was shooting and bang bang bang nothing. i took the weapon and tried to pull the charge handle with no luck. dropped the mag seperated the lowers took a screwdriver to gently pry back the bolt and i found a live round with a case neck that was badly bent. i then hand picked each round for the rest of the day which worked great. however i ended up throwing away approx 50 rounds that day that had bent case necks,improper seating depth that was way off or case necks that were doubled over. one of the bullets i was able to easily hand pull out of the case. i have approx 400 rounds left and after sorting them i found another 20 rounds that are toast. buyer beware the QA process from centurion is less than acceptable go with prvi or federal.

Could you post pics of that. Im not denying it but that is a large anomaly rate for any ammo.
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 9:00:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 11:13:42 PM EDT
[#46]

500 rounds without a hiccup. I like the ammo, but I've only compared it with alittle UMC, Ultramax for blasting and some Black Hills Blue Box. Pretty accurate at 200-300 yards.

I need more practice to to hit consistently with irons past 400 though.

Link Posted: 2/23/2009 12:18:09 AM EDT
[#47]
headstamp is m193 08 not very computer smart but will try to post pics
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 12:58:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: y2kcavy] [#48]
Link Posted: 5/9/2009 10:53:54 PM EDT
[#49]
I went to the range today I have to say first time getting the rifle sight in so far so good. shot 200 rounds of this ammo and never had not 1 problems with Centurion .223 not to sure if the AR RRA like its or not just never had any jams or problems with it. next time I might try something diff tho. all in all nice  ammo...
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 10:15:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Whats the headstamp on the Centurion say?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top