BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:10:36 PM EDT
[#1]
The headstamp on the stuff I just got from J&G is M193 over 08.
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:25:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I've used about 300 rnds of centurion through my colt 6920, and had no problrms at all.
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:40:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I purchased a few (3-4) thousand when it first was released, in the .30 cal cans.

I finally broke into it this last weekend, and shot 400 rounds through a 10.5" SBR.

Good accuracy, good functioning, clean burning. Headstamp was M193 08.

Ejection was slightly erratic, but everything else was great.

I've inspected about 1k of it, no visible problems.
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 8:06:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I shot about 14 rounds out of a friends DPMS M4 clone.  The rifle jammed while feeding, and when I cleared the rifle, I noticed powder had spilled into the locking lug recesses.  This was because the bullet had been pushed back while feeding due to an improper crimp.  I will continue to use it if I find it, but I will personally run every round through my reloading station to put a crimp on the neck.
Link Posted: 5/15/2009 6:58:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: StevenH] [#6]
delete
Link Posted: 5/16/2009 7:33:19 PM EDT
[#7]
S&W AR 15

We shot about 250 rounds through it today.  It worked flawlessly.  
I have not inspected both bags, but the first back there are no issues at all.  No dents/loose/etc.  Great stuff!
Link Posted: 5/17/2009 12:06:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Bryan_Aim:
anybody shot any of this full auto?    i have a police dept looking at a bunch but they wanted full auto testing results and the only info i have isn;t M16 results.

Haven't used it going full auto as our SWAT only uses MP5's, but we now use mostly only Centurion for range ammo in all of our dept AR's.
Link Posted: 5/18/2009 4:53:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Used close to 1500 rounds in a 3-day EAG Pat Rogers class earlier this month.  Not a single problem, hiccup, or stall.

Came home an ordered another 6K from AIM.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:53:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By MNnaloxone:
Used close to 1500 rounds in a 3-day EAG Pat Rogers class earlier this month.  Not a single problem, hiccup, or stall.

Came home an ordered another 6K from AIM.

What is AIM website, I'd like to order 1k or more!

Thanks,
Joe....
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:13:30 AM EDT
[#12]
This ammo is VERY accurate for off the self stuff. I'm impressed having used Federal .223 and some XM193 rounds. It's quite underpowered but if you're not shooting long distance, I don't see the problem. I have shot great groups at 75-100 yards with this stuff. I was doubtful when I bought 1k rounds of this stuff, but I'm pleasantly surprised. I will definately buy again as normal range (100yard) ammo.
Link Posted: 6/21/2009 8:27:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I've shot 3000 rounds of this through three different guns.  1 is a RRA entry tactical 1/9 16" with eotech, another is a stag 16" 1/9 upper on a spikes lower with a millet 1-4, and the third is a build using a 16" 1/9 chrome moly delton kit but several add ons with a 6.5-24 scope

no malfunctions of any kind.  

velocity is on the lower end at 2700 like everyone else has said.

all three guns ate the ammo up with no problems.  I used colt, okay, center, D&H, and Magpul magazines.  anywhere from 10-30 rounders.

accuracy varied with each gun and I found the delton actually shot the best groups at right around 1.3" off a bench.

the RRA came in next with an average group size of 2.2" and the stag in third with 2.8" groups.  those are 5 shot groups and I took the average of 10 groups at 100 yards.

overall, I am very pleased with the ammo, will buy more for practice and range ammo.

Hopefully this will calm the market and keep the ammo prices down and start a trend for the prices to fall.  $400 for 1000 rounds of ammo is getting ridiculous.
Link Posted: 6/24/2009 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I read the entire thread...I must be the unlucky one. I bought 1000 rounds and if I reached into the bag and grabbed
a handful of rounds, 1/2 of them had the bullets seated crooked. Many of the bullets were seated at different depths.

To me, it looks like a teenager reloaded it. Wish I had taken pics. (it's in another state now).
Seems to shoot OK, but certainly not top shelf ammo by any stretch!
Link Posted: 6/24/2009 6:45:13 PM EDT
[#15]
anybody shot any of this full auto?    i have a police dept looking at a bunch but they wanted full auto testing results and the only info i have isn;t M16 results.

It seems to me the obvious answer would be for them to purchase a couple cases at minimal investment and run it through their specific flavor of auto gun to determine its' suitability.

But that probably makes too much sense.  Speaking of sense....5.56 FA for a PD????  

Link Posted: 6/24/2009 7:13:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By SevenMaryThree:

It seems to me the obvious answer would be for them to purchase a couple cases at minimal investment and run it through their specific flavor of auto gun to determine its' suitability.

But that probably makes too much sense.  Speaking of sense....5.56 FA for a PD????  

Don't derail the thread.  Save that debate for GD.
Link Posted: 6/24/2009 11:10:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 3:46:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By SevenMaryThree:

they bought 50k, and loved it, and placed another PO.

Are you guys expecting more in soon?
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 4:55:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 10:01:08 PM EDT
[#20]
So what's the consensus on Centurian quality?  Was it just a bad lot that got through their QC as AIM noted?  Or what's the deal???
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 10:15:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By urbankaos04:
So what's the consensus on Centurian quality?  Was it just a bad lot that got through their QC as AIM noted?  Or what's the deal???

We've gone through 3k rounds and not one hiccup. I'd say it was just a bad lot.
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 10:41:07 PM EDT
[#22]
That's cool.  And no major visual anomalies?  Like crooked bullets or ding up case mouths?
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#23]
That's cool.  And no major visual anomalies?  Like crooked bullets or ding up case mouths?

None that we've found so far!
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 1:55:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Ordered 500 rounds this morning.  But, now I'm wondering if I should have ordered 1K!
Link Posted: 7/2/2009 7:25:59 PM EDT
[#25]
It sounds like nice ammo, but Id like something a bit hotter for the next batch of ammo I order.
Link Posted: 7/2/2009 9:57:32 PM EDT
[#26]
I went shooting with my friend.

I brought Wolf, but he brought the Centurion loose packed stuff he had purchased several days before.

He didn't have any failures, and it grouped decently.
Link Posted: 7/3/2009 8:56:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By ZombieKiller25:

None that we've found so far!

My first 1k of this stuff arrived yesterday and I just finished loading 300 of them into mags.  Nothing visually wrong with any of mine either.  Going to try to hit the range tomorrow and see how it shoots.
Link Posted: 7/6/2009 8:14:03 PM EDT
[#28]
I shot a few hundred rounds today and they all worked great.  This was a recent order from AIM, and I did not notice any excessive dents, dings or canted projectiles.  I think the accuracy is at least as good as LC XM193, perhaps better.  Below is a 20 shot string at 50 yards with a 16 in barrel and an Aimpoint.  If you do your part (I rarely do), this ammo will do its part.

Link Posted: 7/18/2009 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#29]
I just finished inspecting my case of 1000 rds. from AIM. Three rounds had "folds" of brass on the neck area that I
wouldn't feel comfortable shooting (or reloading). Looked like they FUBAR'd during the forming phase. One round had
the projectile misaligned about 20degrees! It was still tight so I pulled the round apart, resized it and put it back together.
About fifty rounds had the projectile slighty canted. May not have had any affect on accuracy but I went ahead and ran
them through the seater/crimper die.....took all of 5 minutes. That straightened them out and made sure the crimp stayed tight.
I never found one bad looking primer....they got that right I guess.

NOW, to go shoot this stuff up!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2009 1:47:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By SAN14:
About fifty rounds had the projectile slighty canted.

That's the same issue I have. Crooked rounds and lots of them. Poor QC for sure. I'll not buy anymore unless the price comes down
to reflect the level of QC.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 2:03:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By silascobb:
Originally Posted By kevinb120:
I have a question for the reloading types here.  I'm starting to get a little stockpile of this stuff.  I currently don't reload but may get into it as a hobby in the near future.  Should I be saving this brass?

Yes, no reason I know of not to save it.  I'm saving mine, and I plan on reloading it.  Pretty much save brass whenever you can, you will eventually use it, and it is a sizable portion of the cost of reloading, if you have to buy new brass or even once-fired.

As far as a review, I have shot 2K rounds of the stuff, about 1500 through my 16" 1-in-7 twist AR, and 500 through my 20" 1-in-9 A3.

Can't speak that much about accuracy as it was all shot in training, although I shot the 20" AR at an Appleseed and made rifleman with it, if that is any indication (albeit at 25 yard reduced targets).

The only problem I've had with this ammo is about 5 rounds out of one lot had the primers in backwards with the anvil facing outboard.  Not that big of a deal, it happens.  Somebody who wanted to rely on this ammo for SD though obviously would be advised (as with any ammo for SD) to inspect each round while loading into mags.

Just curious what would happen if you didn't catch the anvil facing outboard? Will it not fire or something worse?
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:15:31 PM EDT
[#32]
I just bought 1K from another member.  I inspected each round and rejected 9.  One had the case neck folded over, another with a small split in the neck and the remainder had the bullet seated at an angle.  The rest had uneven seating, some had been seated with about half of the cannular showing and others crimped above it.
Can someone tell me what lot number had the large number of rejects?
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 12:20:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Just got a 500 pack of this ammo from ammuntiontogo.  All 500 round were uniformly good.  No problems at all.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 12:30:12 PM EDT
[#34]
No issues so far with the 1000 rounds I bought.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:31:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By tvfreakarms:
Just curious what would happen if you didn't catch the anvil facing outboard? Will it not fire or something worse?

If the inverted primer ignites from contact with the firing pin:

Probably scorch the tip of your firing pin

Possibly alter the temper of the metal on the firing pin

Possibly burn the metal enough to cause minute pitting of the surface

Possibly blow enough heat around the extractor, that it could burn the rubber insert, or alter the temper of the extractor spring

Primers always amaze me with the amount of power in them.
Remember, there is enough power in a primer to accurately launch a rubber bullet across the room, and with enough force to penetrate a target.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 2:34:52 PM EDT
[#36]
almost shot 500 rounds so far, with 0 problems.  haven't done any serious target shooting yet, but i've hit most everything i've aimed at.  im happy with it, and will probably buy another 1000 rounds pretty soon.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:13:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Range report:

The AR I took with me didn't like it.  Got 2" groups at 50 yards.  I decided to try to determine if it was the ammo, the rifle or me.  I loaded up my CZ 527 American with it (1 in 12 twist).  I shot two, five shot 1/4" groups with it at 50 (one ragged hole).  In the CZ it shot much better than Federal 50 gr. HPs, Reminton 55 gr or 45 gr HPs.  No malfunctions in either rifle.  Great ammo just not for that AR.
Link Posted: 8/15/2009 11:31:37 AM EDT
[#38]
I just received a half-case from SG and put it up in Midway 'bullet boxes' at 50/box. I didn't see anything wrong with any of them. The way I pack these boxes is in layers separated by non-absorbent paper, with each round pointed opposite the adjacent. In this way I would notice something grossly out of order because I have to handle and look at every round. It looks like brand new ammo, with typical military annealed cases. I didn't see any pull marks on the bullets, dents on cases or any sign of corrosion. I'm disappointed in the velocity noted in the above posts, but IMO its still adequate for defensive use - maybe better than true mil-spec in that over-penetration and noise would be reduced proportionally. It must be very consistent ammo, because each box weighed in at 27.10 ounces.
Link Posted: 8/16/2009 2:16:09 AM EDT
[#39]
I've fired about 200 rounds of this so far, no problems. Loaded a few hundred more into magazines.

I have noticed a slight cant in some of the bullets, but only one that I would notice without rolling them on a flat surface.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 10:28:36 PM EDT
[#40]
We bought about 600 rounds of this at our local gun shop and have sent 200 of them downrange without a problem. We got this with the idea of having brass to reload (and plinking fun in the meantime).

Has anyone reloaded this brass yet? Does it have a crimped primer or not? I have no .223 equipment yet and don't want to buy a reamer if it isn't needed. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Just a note form my last range trip

from a 16 barrel wolf and centurion crono'd exactly the same, I lost the actual numbers but they were within 5 fps avg.
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By RJK:
I inspected each round and rejected 9.  One had the case neck folded over, another with a small split in the neck and the remainder had the bullet seated at an angle.  The rest had uneven seating, some had been seated with about half of the cannular showing and others crimped above it.
Can someone tell me what lot number had the large number of rejects?

Sounds like my 1000 rds.  I had 13 I rejected, I did notice the canted bullets in 34 others.

I split the case with a friend, he shot 250 w/o problems, I've shot another 300 w/o problems.

No accuracy testing, we were just running drills.
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 8:26:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: silascobb] [#43]
Originally Posted By tvfreakarms:
Originally Posted By silascobb:
Originally Posted By kevinb120:
I have a question for the reloading types here.  I'm starting to get a little stockpile of this stuff.  I currently don't reload but may get into it as a hobby in the near future.  Should I be saving this brass?

Yes, no reason I know of not to save it.  I'm saving mine, and I plan on reloading it.  Pretty much save brass whenever you can, you will eventually use it, and it is a sizable portion of the cost of reloading, if you have to buy new brass or even once-fired.

As far as a review, I have shot 2K rounds of the stuff, about 1500 through my 16" 1-in-7 twist AR, and 500 through my 20" 1-in-9 A3.

Can't speak that much about accuracy as it was all shot in training, although I shot the 20" AR at an Appleseed and made rifleman with it, if that is any indication (albeit at 25 yard reduced targets).

The only problem I've had with this ammo is about 5 rounds out of one lot had the primers in backwards with the anvil facing outboard.  Not that big of a deal, it happens.  Somebody who wanted to rely on this ammo for SD though obviously would be advised (as with any ammo for SD) to inspect each round while loading into mags.

I pulled the trigger on one round, had a Failure-To-Fire and didn't know what was wrong until I inspected the ejected round and saw the primer backwards.

On that particular round, I had nothing happen when the firing pin hit the primer backwards.

After I noticed the issue, I checked the remaining rounds for reversed primers as I was loading them into mags.  Found a few more, but just culled them out.

Link Posted: 9/4/2009 3:32:33 PM EDT
[#44]
I shot a 10 round string over my chronograph today.   Was expecting 2700 or so, was surprised it averaged 3036 fps.   Maybe the temperature had something to do with it.  It's a balmy 95-100 today in the AZ desert.

No problems feeding from my Mini14.
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 10:23:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: urbankaos04] [#45]

I received a couple of extra rounds in the batch that I recieved.

And here's what I removed, because of what the rounds looked like (In looking at this pic again it seems that rounds #2 and #3 really aren't that that bad.  I think the bullets are only slightly canted).

Some close ups:

And this is what it was grouping like at 100 yards:

No issues with the shooting the ammo thus far.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 12:55:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Mute:
Just got a 500 pack of this ammo from ammuntiontogo.  All 500 round were uniformly good.  No problems at all.

+1
Sounds like ATG is the place to go for these.

I chrony'ed 10 rounds today w/ my Bushy 16" 1/9.  I need to get the exact numbers from my buddy, but he says they were consistently in the 2900's.  I will add the raw data when I get it for all you obsessive types.

After seeing reports in the 2700's, I will have to check out the 500 rnds I bought from J&G the next time I go shooting.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 7:08:54 AM EDT
[#47]
I only bought 100 rounds from ATG cause I'm cheap But I fired all of them, no malfunctions, none of the rounds had any damage.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 9:37:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By fxstop:
We bought about 600 rounds of this at our local gun shop and have sent 200 of them downrange without a problem. We got this with the idea of having brass to reload (and plinking fun in the meantime).

Has anyone reloaded this brass yet? Does it have a crimped primer or not? I have no .223 equipment yet and don't want to buy a reamer if it isn't needed. Thanks!

NO crimps!  I havent reloaded any yet though.

My first hand experience with this ammo is it shoots good.  My freind just got in his Larue stealth and want to sight it in, he ran about 200rds through the gun.  The bulls eye was ragged as hell after 70rds (no bullets outside of a 5inch circle at 50yrds)  We then backed the target up to 100yrs and repeated the same successe.  My bushy shot it pretty well also.  I have not seen any rounds with bullets canted or primed wrong
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 8:08:06 PM EDT
[#49]
I purchased 500rds from AIM a while back to use at a upcoming class. I opened the case today to start loading mags since I leave next week. I had several rounds with canted bullets, nothing so serious that I wont shoot them though. Given the price I don't think I will buying anymore and just stick to privi.
Link Posted: 10/3/2009 5:29:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Has anyone got any chronograph results from a 20" barrel with these rounds?
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top